shape
carat
color
clarity

The passing of RockDoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was out of town for the past few days and I am so saddened to hear the news. Bill was a great teacher here for me and many others and he will be missed greatly. My thoughts will be with his friends and family.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

My deepest condoleances to Bill''s family and friends.

"Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones shines down to let us know they are with us."

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I have been out of town and just saw this. I am shocked. I feel an actual visceral reaction to his loss...a testament to how much he was loved here. I will miss his insightful and helpful posts very very much.
39.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
i am so sorry to hear that we have lost one of our staples in the PS community.

Bill, your presence and knowledge will be missed by all.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
What a shock! My heart went to my throat just now when I read this. I never really interacted with RockDoc, but I''ve read many of his posts and I do know he will be sadly missed by all here on PS. My deepest and most heartfelt condolences go out to his friends and family.

diasurfer

Rough_Rock
The first time I bought a diamond off the internet was early 2002. Some people thought I was nuts at the time and one of the reasons I had enough confidence to do it was that I had learned so much from RockDoc''s posts. Three years later, a buddy was in the market and I told him to use the net. He was hesitant, but I pointed him to the forums. A couple of weeks later, I asked him how it was going. He just looked at me, shook his head knowingly, and said one word: "RockDoc".

On behalf of myself, my friend, and countless others who came here knowing nothing and left here informed, mahalo RockDoc.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
My sincere condolences to Bill''s family. May your grief be eased and replaced by your fond memories of him.

I met Bill in the early to mid eighties when he worked out of New Hope, PA and I was up in Easton. Periodically he would call me for both information and to hold my fingers to the fire with some of my ideas. I admired his Chutzpah when he took on American Express and the $1995 one carat diamonds. I can remember fondly his playing in the Polygon band at a Florida conclave and admiring his musical talent.

Bill will be sadly missed. May God bless his soul and may he rest in peace.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

"I don''t know what happens when people die. Can''t seem to grasp it as hard as I try."

--Jackson Browne

dendon

Shiny_Rock
Our deepese condolences to Bill''s family, so sorry to hear of their loss!

BrillianceLover

Rough_Rock
I'll share one of his lasts days, I imagine all of his friends here would like to know a little about it...........I was fortunate to be one of the people that last saw Bill alive, I am a customer who went to his house to have my diamond evaluated. My husband and I spent most of the day with Bill and truly was a wonderful experience, we learned so much and we admire his complete dedication and passion for gems.

He was a truly good person and totally commited to care for his elderly aunt, he told us a little about her and how their life at home was like a TV comedy, how he could do entire seasons of funny situations, like when her aunt asked "why do you need a computer?, Why don't you use a typewritter and carbon copy paper like everyone else?" then he bursted a big laugh....he loved and spoke dearly about her. He even moved his business to a tiny room in his home in order to be close and to keep an eye on her at all times. He stated how this move was worth it, even when he was not that confortable with the small space, it was worth more than being in a bigger space but leaving his aunt to be home alone.

That day, about 3 weeks ago, he seemed quite healthy and cheerful, he didn't look sick, but he smoked around 20-30 cigarrettes just that time and coughed from time to time...I really don't know if that contributed to his death, all I know is that he passed in his sleep, hopefully with no suffering.

He insisted that we name our new pet rock and even suggested some names. Bill went on to talk about his rock collection, his "Pets" and we had a blast. He also told us of a million plans he had for the future. He wanted to form a separate net of GemPrint reports along with other jewelers/appraisers and take some legal action in the best interest of the industry and the consumers. He was also planning to upgrade some of the equipment he had, buy new computers, replace some printers and keep improving his work, he even shared some proyects he had for his driveway. My husband, a computer expert, helped him fix a conflict with a printer. We also chatted about good food, he suggested good restaurants in the area, told jokes and really had a pleasant time with him. He made us feel welcomed and dedicated us several hours of work with a smile.

I was due to go back for a GemEx analysis, to pick up my printed report and for an appraisal once the setting was completed, but I'll never have the opportunity to finish the analysis with this great man. I was informed that a court order will be needed now to get any belongings he may had from others. The GemPrint analysis on my diamond also is in his computer, and now I don't really know what is going to happen to it.

All his knowlege, opinions and humor will be missed. May you rest in peace Bill, and thank you for everything.

Josie Lapidot

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Bill was laid to rest today in Florida....

John Pollard has posted a fitting tribute to him, with a picture of him at the keyboard with the music he so loved at

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/news.aspx?articleid=565&zoneid=4

I have been in constant contact with the family members down there, and will try to see that return of any property in Bill''s posession at time of death are returned to the rightfull owners, in a timely manner, as Bill would have wished.

This is a complicated matter, and will ONLY be discussed with those of Bill''s clients (or attorneys) having a proveable vested interest or claim against the estate, as I have already done, in those cases where I have known, or been apprised of the situation(s) beforehand, based on lengthy discussions with Rockdoc prior to his untimely passing.

Please contact me by email only with contact information with any particulars, and I will try to point you along the proper path to recovery of any items that may have been in Bill''s care, as he would have wished.

I point out that I have no legal standing or vested interest in this matter, and only wish to keep the family informed of proveable claims, as I strongly believe Bill would have wanted, and protect the interests of his surviving aunt, to my knowledge at this time, his only heir, who is in her late 90''s.

Bill was a true friend, and we spent many hours on the phone at all hours of the day and night, as Bill had the same type of very, very late night schedule as sometimes I do because of clients around the world. 4am EST discussions were not uncommon.

I have asked the family to provide the name of a favorite charity, if anyone wants to donate in Bill''s memory, and will post that, as soon as I find out.

A copy of this thread will be sent to his relatives.

May you rest in peace Bill, and may there be an abundance of pet rocks in Heaven for you to play with, as other have so fittingly expressed.

I am without words to express my profound feelings, and tears shed, as I write this.

As a PS, I feel also obligated to write, in somewhat anger, and utter disappointment, in my close friend Bill:

Bill''s untimely, and I MEAN untimely, passing at home, has a lesson for ALL OF US to learn, regarding the consequences of his not seeking immediate medical attention, despite the continued and desparate urgings of myself, and his other friends, who had been in contact with him the day before, and/or of, his passing.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
May he rest in peace and find eternal happiness in heaven.
39.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I am so sad to hear of this.

RockDoc and his pet rocks will be hugely missed by all of us.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I just saw this and I have to say how totally shocked I am. I used Bill''s services last year to appraise my diamond and setting, and really enjoyed talking to him. He told me so many interesting things about insurance that I never knew. We talked a lot about many other things completely unrelated to jewelry or insurance, he was just interesting to talk to. I know someone mentioned his Aunt and hoping she''ll be taken care of. He had a calico cat that he was very fond of, I hope his cat will have a place to go. My condolences to his family.

Gemoholic

Rough_Rock
Honestly I am at a loss for words. Rock Doc held my hand through my engagement rock purchase. I was terrified of buying over the net and I really wanted a great stone. I just loved talking to him, I liked him and I trusted him. He was a very giving man to all of us in the gem world and so very good to his Auntie.

He will be missed.

N8-Star

Rough_Rock
I end up popping in and checking pricescope posts about every 2 to 3 weeks lately... and mostly just check to see posts and comments that Bill left.

I didn't expect to see this post when doing my bi-monthly pricescope search for the name "rock-doc". I expected to see many posts with his name attached and giving great advice to people seeking his knowledge. I'm very choked up and at a loss for words to hear of the passing of this great man.

I feel extremely fortunate to have known and met him... and had many of the conversations with Bill that so many of you have had. He wasn't known for being short-winded by any means... but, he was the kind of guy that really enjoyed letting you know everything you ever needed to know about your stone... and then some.

I think the word "trust" was one that just about everybody associated with the name Rock-Doc... and he was the person that I went to for my final decision because of his wisdom and enthusiasm... he went above and beyond all of my expectations... Bill was the kind of guy that you were glad you met... and you felt lucky to have him cross your path when looking for diamond guidance.

Countless late night conversations... I began to wonder if he ever slept. I am so very grateful for all that he has done for me and the information and lenghty reports that I have from him ( which still smell of cigarette smoke... I now enjoy smelling... I hope it doesn't fade away... it's very reminiscent)... and I'm also grateful that all of his posts over the many years are still searchable in the archives of pricescope... Infact, in that respect, there is a bit of a legacy in the words that Bill has already shared in past posts/conversations. They are still there and available for many more people to learn from. That's how I got to know of him even before our first contact.

Thank you Bill for all that you have done... for everybody.

RockDoc.jpg

R.I.P. "Rock-Doc"

-nathan

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

My deepest condolences to Bill’s family and I am truly sorry to hear about Pricescope community losing such a great man.

Andrey
PS Admin

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 3:29:07 PM
Author: oldminer
Bill was a good guy who struggled to ''make it'' and I think he did himself proud. I don''t know a whole lot about his early family life, but it must not have been easy. He graduated from a privately endowed school in Philadelphia, Girard College, named after its benefactor, Stephen Girard. This school takes in orphans and fatherless boys into its care for their secondary education. This is a world famous place, but in a very harsh part of the inner city these days. It wasn''t such a great spot even when Bill went there, but the fine education there led him into being the straight sort of fellow he was. Its difficult to outlast your contemporaries and I am saddened to hear we no longer have Bill around to pick on us or for us to pick on him.

Bill led by example in his later years. He was a strong advocate of consumer fairness. So much so, that he scared a lot of potential work away, but he wanted to play the game by his own set of rules and it is my belief he did this with honor. No one made more thorough reports and I sure would not have wanted him opposite me in an expert testimony situation. He was adamant about his positions and learned how to make his case and defend his territory. He fought hard for his clients and he set a good example of complete appraising and service. Bill never had quite enough time because he wouldn''t rush a job out before he was prefectly content with the appraisal. Now Bill has eternity to oversee those who must go on with the daily grind. I will miss his contributions and his often counterpoint views. RIP.

Thank you for writing this, Dave. I argued with Bill about silly things for years. I am glad that a few years ago we came to terms of peace with each other. I never really knew him. Your testimony here as a colleague is very impressive. I did not know until today, July 4, that he had died. It feels as if an era has ended. When I first found the Internet and discussion about diamonds, Bill was there...to fight with if nothing else. His was a huge presence in the diamond world.

Deborah
34.gif

charles de gall

Rough_Rock
I never met Bill but I dealt with him and always found him to be honest and a straightshooter. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am so so sad....this is awful...
39.gif

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Bill. Bill stood as a pillar of vast knowledge in the diamond world and was a truly dedicated consumer advocate who placed his work and his aunt above all else. Bill was a ''one of a kind'' individual who put himself out ''above and beyond'' the call of duty for every one of his clients. Bill will certainly be a source of inspiration for all of us. Bill will live on in our hearts forever. May you rest in peace.
Martin Sheffield
USA Certed Diamonds

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I was very grateful that Marty called to tell me about Bill's passing. I first met Bill online in 2000 and in person in 2001 where he shared his pet rock collection (or a good portion of it). It was when a number of us met at what some oldtimers remember as "the EightStar party" at Hilton Head Island. Bill introduced us to the energy in crystals and how they conduct different energies. He had us do blind tests where we all would feel a particular gem and then share how it made us feel. It was amazing how similar the reactions would be, i.e., one made us dizzy, one gave us a headache, one felt sweet and calming, etc. This was the beginning of my foray into energy work, becoming a Reiki master, and understanding energy and the elements on a much deeper and broader level.

It was a long ride and fascinating to be involved in the industry and its cast of illustrious characters for the last 7 years. The industry has changed so much! It was so wonderful for an information geek like myself to learn so much about cut, physics, this business, the competition, human resistance to change, human adaptation, constantly changing loyalties, hurt feelings, loving friendships, respect, disrespect, those who could be trusted and those whose trust changed with the location of the source of the almighty dollar...what a crazy rollercoaster! There were definitely times that Bill pissed me off with some of his behavior choices and times when he trusted me with so much confidential information that I couldn't help but always seek balance and learn to understand that we are all wonderful gifts of Spirit who make choices that will never and should never try to please all the people all the time.

Bill was authentic and that is surely a lesson for all, because being our authentic selves and sharing the gifts we've been given is what Spirit asks of us.

Written with Love,

lawmax

Laura Kearns

Rough_Rock
Wow! I can''t believe it! I just found out!

He was too young to go! I talked to him for like 2 hours and he was telling me he was not feeling too well but I had no idea it was this serious! I echo the rest of the Pricescope community in sending my deepest condolances to his family and friends and he will definitely be missed for both personal and professional reasons by many!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this too. My deepest condolences to his friends and family

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Boy I miss RockDoc.

I never did care for him when I first met him on the internet. He seemed so argumentative.

It wasn't until I met him personally and we spent some time together that I warmed up to him. He had an endearing manner in person. Some one mentioned the term "curmudgeon (sp?)". That was him. The photograph a half dozen posts above was taken on my lanai, after a couple beers together. It was a good time...

Now I miss all his arguing. If I could just hear one more post from him, argue with him one last time, I would feel a lot better.

It was too quick. Life is too short.

I miss him.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
me 2 :{
was looking over some old threads looking for something and ran into a bunch of his posts.
He is missed.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
What I miss most is the daily interaction, we used to just talk at all hours of the day and night about many varied subjects, from cases to just life in general... He had a lot to give and share...

We had a lot of fun in Orlando at the AGS conclave two years back, I can still remember him playing the piano there.
He even drove across Florida when I was at Rich''s just to have dinner.drove back that night because his aunt "needed" him.
A true friend whom I really miss.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed in an old post that was cross referenced that Bill''s signature line has been updated:

Bill Leiberum
1948-2007
Thanks for everything and Rest In Peace,Bill.

Much appreciated Andrey.

alitalia

Rough_Rock

My Dear Friend Bill

AKA

"Rockdoc"

AKA

"Brat Cat"

I knew Bill personally for almost 10 years.
The first night I met him, it was an online chat group called FloridaSingles30-55ish,
A friend of mine said there is this funny guy on there, you gotta come to the chat.
Well......
I never laughed so hard in my life,
And
until 2-3 am
Sending me these wav files,
one funnier than the next.

I always looked forward to logging on to the chat every night.
After a couple of months,
We met at one of the "in real life"
get-togethers.

Bill would always bring his keyboards to the get-togethers.
He was a beautiful piano player,
He played classical too,
I still have a video tape of his here of the movie
"Immortal Beloved",
The story of Beethoven,
He turned me on to the song
"Moonlight Sonata",
That became my favorite classical piece,
We sat many times and sang while he played his keyboards,

Bill had a computer just for his keyboards.
Actually, Bill had a separate computer for everything *grin*,
He had 5 computers in his office,
and he was his only employee,
A software junky too,
You name it, Bill had it.

Bill was

"Brat Cat"
because he loved cats,
he recently just got a cat,
He also like Lhasa apso dogs,

I have an African Grey Parrot
that he loved feeding peanuts,
He would always ask me on the phone,
"Hows the wabbit",

That "Pet-Rock" Condo LOL.
He had a "Condo" for his "Pet Rocks".
Thats what he called it.
It was actually this huge safe where he kept them all.
He called it the "Pet Rock Condo".
Everytime I went to his office,
he had the "Condo" open.
I would always grab that Red Spinal ring he had.
That was my favorite.
He actually had his own "Smithsonian Institution" there,
And he loved showing them off,
We would sit for hours playing with those pet rocks,

Besides "Diamonds",
Bill actually loved colored gemstones,
And Tsavorites were his favorite.
I sort of grew accustomed to those Tsavorites.

Bill love food.
Sushi,
Japanese Restaurants,
Reuben Sandwiches at his favorite Jewish Deli
there in Boca Raton where he lived.
"Rascals",
We went to Rascals,
That Reuben sandwich was more like a
platter instead of a sandwich,
I was hoping to go to rascals with Bill again,
for "Reubens",
Italian Food,
He drove up here last year and we went to the Olive Garden,
So he could have the all you can eat Pasta,

Coffee at Denny''s,
We spent many 2 am''s in Denny''s,
And Many Coffee''s
He got me into buying 8 O''Clock Coffee,
In the beans,
It was the best buy *grin*,
We both like grinding the fresh coffee beans,

His office was his home away from home.
He worked 8 days a week.
His work was his life,
He even had all the comforts of home at his office,
His computers,
2 TV''s.
His little refrigerator,
His coffee pot,
All the ingredients to make his sushi,
The rice maker to make the rice for the sushi,
He was a riot,

He was always at his office,
Except when he went home for a shower,
Otherwise he and his aunt would''ve drove each other crazy,
He really loved his aunt,
She drove him crazy,
But he loved her,
he was always there for her when he needed her.
So I wasn''t surprised that he moved his office into their house,
so he could be near her if she needed him as she was 95 years old.

The last email I received from Bill was dated May 19th, 1:52 am,
I had written him a couple of days before,
I was busy with some legal issues,
I thought I was going to talk to him again soon,
I didnt hear from him,
I thought he was busy with his business, or traveling,
When his emails started bouncing,
I knew something was wrong,
Either he was in the hospital again,
Or maybe his aunt passed away,
I didnt think it would be him.

I knew he frequented these forums,
so I did a google,
and found this one,
After a few clicks,
I saw his memorial.....

We were going to get together again,
He wanted to take me on a cruise,

I didnt get to say goodbye

7.gif

Bill,

We didnt get to go on that cruise,
But I know you are saving a seat up there,
I know I will see you again one day,
And we can dance
on that street in Jerusalem
of gemstones and Gold....

I love you!

anne

and the wabbit too*grin*

alitalia

Rough_Rock
Bill Lieberum

"Rockdoc"

I forgot to mention in my post,
Bill suffered from diabetes,

I saw that someone posted something about a donation,
I wanted to mention that.

He also really loved animals, particularly cats,
He actually had a cat,
He would take care of the neighbors cat when the neighbor was away,

If you asked him, he would probably say to donate to a cat rescue/humane society.
I hope his cat is in a good home.

Its so nice to see he had so many friends here.
He really had a good heart and would do anything for you.

Love and Hugs to all of you!
Anne

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results