carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:30:57 AM
Author: Loves Vintage

And, WELCOME LA Jennifer!! If you want to post your chart, I think you can ''right click'' on it, save it as a jpg and then post on here as you would a regular photo.

Hi LovesVintage - thanks for the welcome. I have a mac and, for the life of me, I can''t figure out how to save it as a jpeg.
33.gif
I want my pc back!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
drk-
i replied in your ivf thread but again wishing u luck!!!! i also didnt use lupron bc i had enough suppression...i was on bc pills and then follistim on day3...very glad i didnt need lupron...it does have a lot of effects. i hope u get to go with a day 5 transfer!!!...it was a tough decision to make for me.

wow! on no sedation!!! i didnt even know that was an option (even tho i wouldnt have been that brave anyway)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, I''ve only posted on here about once or twice last year, but then I had to stay away because I was so discouraged with my situation. Now, however, it looks like I''m finally getting some medical help, so here''s my story.

My husband & I naturally (and accidentally!) conceived our first child 3 years ago, when I was 29 and he was 34. I delivered a healthy baby boy, and thought that I would not have trouble conceiving a second when we were ready.

A couple of years go by, my son turns 2, I''m 32, and we decide that we''re ready to try for a second. We started trying in October of last year - however, not only did I seem to never be ovulating according to the tests I took, I only had 2 periods in 7 months between November ''08 to May ''09. I started seeing doctors in January, but I felt like nobody was taking me seriously, because I already had one child who we conceived without even trying.

However, I finally got a doctor to run a barrage of tests, and as it turns out, I have a pretty severe case of PCOS (I also have Hashimoto''s Thyroiditis, but I''ve been in treatment for that for 20 years). Nobody had even considered PCOS until they finally did an ultrasound, because I am not overweight and already had conceived a child. When the doctors looked at my ultrasounds & saw all of the cysts, they were stunned that I was able to have my first child without medical assistance.

Anyway, I was given a few rounds of Provera to start my periods, and finally have now had two "natural" periods in a row (not from the Provera). I am starting Clomid tomorrow, and was finally able to start charting this week (I couldn''t chart before because I never had a period to start the chart with!).

So, I guess I''m just posting to join this community, and find out a little more about Clomid therapy. Any success stories that anyone would like to share would be well-received right now and inspiring. Thanks for reading ...

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl- I feel for u bc my sis and I have pcos and I know how hard it is to deal with that fact....I must point out that even though u did get your period naturally it doesn''t necessarily mean u will ovulate or if u do they generally aren''t mature eggs...I went through this and its tough but I wish u luck with clomid and hope it works for u!
I was on provera for a while then bc pills...tried clomid (honestly imo it isn''t very effective for severe pcos...maybe coupled with iui it is but on its on don''t know) but u should def start off with clomid and again I am sending lots of dust that it will work for u!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 11:17:39 AM
Author: nycbkgirl
Vespergirl- I feel for u bc my sis and I have pcos and I know how hard it is to deal with that fact....I must point out that even though u did get your period naturally it doesn''t necessarily mean u will ovulate or if u do they generally aren''t mature eggs...I went through this and its tough but I wish u luck with clomid and hope it works for u!
I was on provera for a while then bc pills...tried clomid (honestly imo it isn''t very effective for severe pcos...maybe coupled with iui it is but on its on don''t know) but u should def start off with clomid and again I am sending lots of dust that it will work for u!
Thanks so much for your reply! My doctor told me that she wanted to start me on Clomid, and if that wasn''t effective, maybe add Metformin. Did you evern try that? I have two friends with PCOS who got pregnant while on Metformin, so I wish she had just started me on that instead, but I figure I''ll just try the Clomid first & see what happens.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper - I also have PCO, along with other hormonal issues and male factor. I was put on metformin by my family doc before I started with fertility doc #1. She said she''d seen lots of PCO patients get fairly regular cycles back with metformin alone, and then get pregnant. I had a few cycles on clomid, then moved to femara before switching docs so I could move on with injects and IUI. And now IVF. I don''t see why your doc wouldn''t put you on metformin. My BMI is somewhere around 18.7, so I''m not an obese PCOSer. I''ve never felt hypoglycemic on it, and never really had side effects. My fasting insulin was high normal out of proportion to my fasting glucose, so I think it''s a good thing I''m taking it. I think using it through the first trimester is supposed to reduce my chance of having another miscarriage too. If your doc can''t give you a good reason to not be on it, I think she should let you start taking it if you want.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl- I was on metformin for a very long time...it really has nothing to do with ferility..metformin just tries to regulate ur insulin bc that''s what leads to pcos problem....it had no effect on me...but it may work for others...every method is so different for every person ..my doc specifically picked a protocol based upon my family and medical history..but I def had to try everything first....I did clomid by itself...then I did provera/bc pills and metformin ...then follistim with iui''s (chose not to do clomid with iui bc I knew it wouldn''t take for me) then finally ivf...if I had a choice I would do ivf right away but of course u can''t get there w.o. Tryin the lesser invasive procedures.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl, I'm a Clomid success story! I got pregnant the first cycle with twins (18 weeks now). I have PCOS, although I don't have a lot of the classic symptoms like being overweight or having excess androgens. My symptoms were as follows:

1) Really long cycles (50-60 days) after 3 months of normal cycles off the pill. I was able to get pregnant on one of these super long cycles but miscarried early on.
2) Only truly ovulating every other cycle after they got really long (my progesterone would only go up to a 4-5, which was too low for me to get pregnant).
3) Cysts on my ovaries (right was worse than left, and I ovulated both of my kiddos from my left).
4) Somewhat elevated LH during my cycle. My LH: FSH ratio was 2:1.

I don't have any insulin/glucose issues so I never tried Metformin. I think a key to me getting pregnant the first round was having charted for several months and timing BDing very well. The important day for me has always been BDing the day of my positive OPK and the day after (both times I got pregnant I hadn't BDed for 3 days before then). Of course there are so many other factors that come into play, but that's the main one you can control! Also, I took my pills at exactly the same time every morning, but I'm not sure if that had any effect.

Also, November got pregnant on her first try with Clomid too, and she hadn't had her period in several months. I believe she Oed much later on it than I did (maybe day 22-24), whereas I Oed on day 17. It's still somewhat unusual to get pregnant on the first round with Clomid, but hopefully it will happen for you within the first several!! I think Sha got pregnant on Clomid her third or so cycle. Good luck!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 4:06:12 PM
Author: nycbkgirl
Vespergirl- I was on metformin for a very long time...it really has nothing to do with ferility..metformin just tries to regulate ur insulin bc that''s what leads to pcos problem....it had no effect on me...but it may work for others...every method is so different for every person ..my doc specifically picked a protocol based upon my family and medical history..but I def had to try everything first....I did clomid by itself...then I did provera/bc pills and metformin ...then follistim with iui''s (chose not to do clomid with iui bc I knew it wouldn''t take for me) then finally ivf...if I had a choice I would do ivf right away but of course u can''t get there w.o. Tryin the lesser invasive procedures.
Hi! I was on Metformin too for insulin issues and my doctor specifically said that if I didn''t want to get pregnant while taking it, take extra precautions because it makes you VERY FERTILE. Vesper, I think you should discuss it with your doctor, but I don''t think it would hurt to add it in to increase your chances. Good luck!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting steph...metformin is not a fertility medication...my mom and aunt take it for diabetes...it is an insulin controling med...I have never heard it being used just for fertility purposes...I used it to control the insulin levels which is the reason for pcos....someone who doesn''t have insulin resistance should really not be on metformin...but I guess u can research the medication on ur own and talk with doc.

Clomid works for ppl who can ovulate and get there periods at least sometimes. I never had a period on my own and did not ovulate...so clomid wouldn''t have worked for me on its own.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback.

Peonygirl, thanks for your story, and congrats on your pregnancy! My husband would pass out if I became pregnant with twins
emsmileo.gif

My drs did talk to me about Metformin, but only if the Clomid didn''t work. I think that they just want to try the Clomid first, and see how it goes. We''re not in an enormous rush (I would like to get pregnant in the next 6 months) so we have a little time to try this first - I will let you guys know how it goes!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper, don''t worry, you only have a 5% chance of twins with Clomid!
9.gif
I don''t think Metformin has any affect on fertility if you have normal insulin/glucose. However, poorly managed blood sugar does increase the chances for miscarriage, so it''s important to take it if that''s an issue.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl, I'm a clomid success story too.

I have PCOS too-irregular periods was the only sign and even though I was ovulating my OB said that I would have a better quality egg if my cycles were shorter. Plus we kept missing our window because it was so late in the cycle!

I took 25 mg the first cycle and didn't ovulate so my OB upped it to 50mg and we conceived my daughter. I had no side effects whatsoever from it and would totally recommend it.

Good luck to you and the other TTCers!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Quicky from me: Vesper, I''m on Clomid and while it''s not worked yet, I''m hoping it will. Not a lot of side effects. I did have a headache days 5-7 when I took it the first time. I needed it not because of PCOS, but because I tend to ovulate really late on my own. Since being on it, I''ve ovulated on day 14, 20, and 18. Much better than days 30-45!
9.gif

Good luck to you with it, lady!

Cycle Day 1 here. Again. Frustrated, but trying to think of it as an opportunity for me to get that oral surgery done (gum graft) with no concern for harming my precious baby. This cycle will be a non-clomid cycle and I''m looking forward to that, and hoping we have a miracle in a baby that''s created med-free. A girl can hope, no? Faith is what keeps us going, and it''s not about to stop now.

Side note: June/July marks one year of our "officially" trying. What an anniversary!
5.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vesper,
I''ve been on Metformin for years, love it. love it. love it. I have more energy, can regulate sugar better, ended cramps, lost weight, skin cleared up, it just is an amazing drug for PCOS sufferers and it has been found to help prevent m/c in the first trimester.

Regarding Clomid, the lowest twin rate I''ve found in published studies is 7.9% chance of twins. Most websites put it at 8-10% Peony knows her data so I would love to see the 5% rate as yeah, twins are not just twice the fun and it is concerning to continually see the 10% figure thrown around in articles. I mean, its still not much more than normal chances, but significant.

Good luck with the Clomid cycle, with your history of long cycles it totally makes sense. If you do opk strips remember to wait at least 3 days after your last dose of C in order to get accurate information. It also elevates your bbt so temps will be higher while taking C.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Aw Fisher, that sucks! If they''re doing the gum thing with local anesthetic only, I wouldn''t even be concerned about getting it done while pregnant at any stage. Or even if you get a little IV sedation. It''d be great if you can squeeze it in before you get pregnant this cycle though! ;-)

So my 11 remaining embryos from yesterday are still growing today. 5 are ahead (not sure if that''s good or bad), 6 are exactly where they''re supposed to be. Now I''m just praying 6+ make it to blastocyst stage on Wed for the transfer. We won''t get an update call tomorrow though, which is a little sad. I guess they want to disturb them as little as possible at this stage to give them the best chances to make it to blast.

Anyhow, enough infertility gobbledygook! I''d better get back to work and finish my consult. Thankfully so far today there''s only been 2 C/S and one epidural, so I''m not as baby-overwhelmed and bitter as I could be. And I actually feel pretty good physically too, and have since the day after egg retrieval.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Kate

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Fisher
15.gif

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher, I'm sorry sweetie, that stinks!
39.gif
So many of our girls conceived right around their 1 year trying anniversary (Amber, Blushing), so there is definitely hope for you yet!

Good question Swimmer!! (and Vesper, you might be curious too). I've seen the 10% number a lot, as well as lower (wikipedia says 3-5%, but I didn't see a reference). I use the 5% number as a bit of shorthand to explain my specific outcome to friends and family not familiar with fertility drugs. During Sanofi Aventis' clinical trials of 7578 women who used Clomid, 6.9% of those who became pregnant had twins (a little less than 2% of the total study group, including those who did not become pregnant). If you include higher order multiples, it's that 7.9% figure that you were talking about! Scary, right? However, not all of the 6.9% had "Clomid twins" even on Clomid (IMO), since 1 in 5 were identical. So I use 5% as the number of twin gestations explained by Clomid. Usually the conversation goes something like this:

Friend: So how did you manage twins? Did you use fertility drugs?
Me: Yep, Clomid!
Friend: What's that? Do most people have twins with that?
Me: No, it's not that common. About 5%.

Very scientific, right?
9.gif
Honestly not that many people have asked me though! It's confusing to a lot of people with the advent of recent famous mega-multiples, so I don't tell unless they ask or we're close. If they're curious though I'm happy to explain.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher- still cheering u on!

Drk- grrrreat news....cmon blasts!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts, girls. I''m fine. Really. It''s funny how some cycles effect me more than others. I think that this cycle, I was really hoping for a baby (of course), but I was also worried about having the surgery with a baby in there, just for the simple "worrying mother" syndrome I already carry with me. So, off we go to the Dr. on Thursday morning for the three month follow up, and then on June 29th (two Mondays away) I get my surgery. Then I''m back in baby mode!

The surgery will not require an IV, however, I will be given a sedative drug (similar to Valium, but not Valium). I''ve been given Valium before for dental work, since I''m a very anxious person when strangers are poking and proding around so close to my face. I get a little nutty. Anyway, the dentist doesn''t think that taking one pill on the day of the procedure will harm anything for this cycle, but I still intend to ask my Dr. on Thursday. Thursday will be CD 4, so I think we''ll hold off on the Clomid (besides the fact I think my body could use a break and I think a more relaxed month---who am I kidding, a more relaxed 4-6 weeks or more, possibly) will be good for us. However, if the Dr. strongly encourages the Clomid, I could likely be talked into it. I still think it would be optimum to wait. I''m also wondering if I''ll be given an HSG soon... not that I want one, but man, if all I need is a little flushing of the tubes, sign me up! Anyway, I take an antibiotic the day before and three days following the graft and then an anti-inflammatory for a couple days. Along with the valium-like substance the day of the graft. Hm... that will also fall on CD14, just around when I''m about to ovulate (on clomid). I wonder if that''s a good or bad thing.

I do have to admit that I am worried about not doing the clomid and then having a 60 day cycle or something... that keeps running through my mind.

Eh, at this point, we just *know* this baby has to be coming at the most perfect time, since it''s been taking so long to materialize, so I''m sure it''ll all work out just fine. God''s never let me down before, and I don''t expect Him to start any time soon.
2.gif

DrK,

Hoping all the best for your IVF, lady! Wednesday''s when they do the transfer, and that''s really my Tuesday, so I''ll be thinking of you tomorrow!
9.gif
And Wednesday, just to be sure!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Peony. That makes total sense.

Fisher, you have such a great attitude. xoxoxo to you! I have read several places that clomid stays in the system for a cycle after it is taken and some women claim to have experienced bfps as a result of this residue...well, they anecdotally ascribe it to the post C cycle. Not finding studies on it other than something about c still being found in subject''s fecal matter after the medicated cycle. Yeah, not really relevant. Well, I have turned into an information junkie here.

OK, seeking anecdotal input here after not finding much online. this is my first cycle using OPK and i''m not getting a test line at all, even though my temps were very clear that I o''d (and lots of ewcm) and for the first time ever I could even tell what my cervix was doing. So what gives with the Answer opks? I did clomid 100mg this cycle as DH was scheduled to actually be in the country during O. Everything looks good except the freaking opks! But I feel like without that feedback the rest might just be wishful thinking...a house of cards if you will.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Swimmer, did the OPKs darken at all around O? I''ve never tried the Answer ones, but I did like the cheapies at early-pregnancy-tests.com (the ones you dip). What time of day were you testing, and was your urine very dilute? If your LP is the same length as normal, I''d say you probably Oed.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi fellow TTCers!

So today I went to my doctor to discuss some questions I had about my cycle and why DH and I haven't gotten pregnant yet (granted, it's only been 3 cycles, but I thought it couldn't hurt). The last couple of cycles, I've been having super light flow and spotting 5 or 6 days before my period even starts which is NOT normal for me. I suspect I have low progesterone or estrogen levels. Well, my doc totally blew me off and told me I was taking the whole TTC thing too seriously, and that I was 'stressed' and that's why I haven't gotten pregnant yet. I said, 'But we're timing sex perfectly and we're young.' She was like, 'It takes everyone 7 months or more.' I don't think so.

She also said (I kid you not!) "I guarantee that all your friends who aren't stressed about this or who don't care about getting pregnant will get pregnant before you." She basically wouldn't even humor me about getting any tests done to see if my hormone levels are ok. She refused to write my DH a 'script for a semenanalysis, even though he had Mono last year and his sperm count might have been affected.

Also, it sounded like she didn't even understand charting and temping. She told me that she trusts OPKs much more than that 'charting stuff.' UGH.

Also, I have reason to believe my tubes might be blocked (had an infection in college) and she told me she would not even consider an HSG until one year of trying. I feel like she thinks I'm some stupid, uneducated person who is overreacting about everything. Time to find a new doc.
38.gif
Unreal. I want to find someone who understands about charting and who will listen to me.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Hi Laila... sounds like you have a "great" dr.... I can''t believe she totally blew you off like that. I hope you have luck finding someone more understanding and more responsive to your concerns. One of my close friends has been TTC for 2 years and told me not long ago (she knows that we''ve just started trying) that she wishes she hadn''t waited a full year before she got really proactive about testing her horomone levels, looking for blockages, etc. She told me that she knew 6 months in that something wasn''t right but everyone told her she needed to relax. She said she feel like she wasted that year. Hopefully everything is fine with you BUT I think you are entitled to the peace of mind that having the tests would give you. I think doctors sometimes forget that (at least here in the US) healthcare is not free and as customers we DO have the right to question the treatment we receive from them.

So everyone... here I am trying to decide if I should test or not. I "think" I ovulated around 2 weeks ago but since this is my first cycle off BC and I only started charting a week and a half ago I can''t be sure. My period should arrive this weekend and I''d planned to wait until next week and test if it hadn''t arrived. The problem is that I''m feeling pretty ill and I''m wondering if it''s possible that I could be pregnant. I sort of feel like I''m coming down with a cold. My nipples are also sore and I''m majorly emotional. I really think that it''s most likely just PMS with some allergies but I''d like to know for sure. I''d forgotten how bad real PMS can feel.... but at least it could be a sign that this cycle will soon be over and I can get started on a chart for a full cycle.

I''ve been reading a lot about BBT and hypothyroidism and I''d really like to learn more about the connection. I''ve just been diagnosed with the early stages of hypothyroidism but my bloodwork didn''t indicate that I need medicine for it now. The plan is to monitor the levels every 6 months and see what happens. I read that BBT can actually be a better indicator of thyroid issues than blood tests so I''d like to take my charts with me in Oct when I go back to the endrocrinologist. I have nearly every symptom of hypothyroidism as well as a strong family history so I was surprised that the Dr. didn''t think I needed to start on the medicine yet.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Laila - that is so frustrating about your doctor. Definitely time to find a new one (one who actually listens to the patient).

Applequeen - if you feel like you might be pregnant, then go ahead and pee on a stick if you have cheapies laying around. If not, then I would probably wait and see if you get your period. FYI - charting is so addictive! I went off the pill last September and started charting. However, this is the first month we are ttc.

Quick question for everyone: have any of you experienced what feels like ovulation pain, yet it is prolonged throughout the luteal phase? Any idea what that could be?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi applequeen--
If you''re two weeks/14 DPO, a pregnancy test would probably show whether you are pregnant or not by now! Exciting. The symptoms you posted are all good signs.
36.gif
Do you have a chart we can see? Thanks for the reply about my doc. I feel like your friend, I don''t want to waste a year. Hopefully it won''t come down to that though. I almost wonder if I''m better off NOT telling the new doc we''re TTC so that I can just get my hormones tested without having to wait a year.

blushing bride, I wanted to congratulate you on your BFP! How exciting for you and your DH!!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Here is my chart... the problem is that I only started it around the time I think I ovulated. Based on the way my temps rose I''m wondering if I ovulated the next week instead. Unfortunatly I had a mole removed that week from my bikini line which prevented any BDing that week. Fertility Friend is estimating that ovulation was sometime between days 16-22 but I know they''re getting that based on the temp information that they have.

LaJennifer... you''re right...charting is addictive
1.gif
I really planned not to chart for a few months but I''m really glad I started...especially now that I know it may be helpful in diagnosing the hypothyroidism.

newchartgraph_module.jpg

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Peony, I must just be too hydrated. It doesn't make sense, pcos is supposed to give false ++, not just negatives. I'm just wondering since some old ones (from when I think I o'd) seem to have turned positive just hanging out on the shelf, and the ones that were too early or too late didn't change at all. Oh well, I have an appt next week, perhaps I will learn something new. Oh, and I was using Answer brand opks.

Laila, you might want to call your insurance and find out what they will cover in terms of infertility treatment. Most carriers won't cover a thing till you have been trying for a year. My insurance still lets me know how much stuff costs and last month's blood tests, not even an HSG or anything, just blood tests, were over $500. How long are your cycles normally? I know that a fast way to get your blood/hormones tested is "irregular cycles" and that works for coding billing for insurance. You might be able to talk a new Dr into the HSG based on your history, but it would still be a tough sell for insurance...again, the key could be irregular cycles. Good luck with this.

Apple, hm, hard to know if you o'd on cd14 or cd18 without previous cycles. If you don't start AF in perhaps six days you could take an hpt. Is your normal cycle 30? Just base your test day on prior months cycle length and AF not showing of course. Good luck, that temp rise is fabu

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Swimmer... I''m hoping to hold out and test early next week. Before I went on the pill my cycles were a bit longer... 31ish days so I''m not really sure what to expect on this first cycle off BC. Saturday is 28 days since my last one should have started (I was on Loestrin 24 and actually didn''t have a period at all on it)...I''m thinking I''ll test on Tuesday if AF hasn''t arrived.

I think that most likely all of my symptoms are just PMS/ allergies but it''s hard not to wonder "what if"
emsmile.gif

Good luck figuring out the OPKs!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 5:17:47 PM
Author: swimmer

Laila, you might want to call your insurance and find out what they will cover in terms of infertility treatment. Most carriers won''t cover a thing till you have been trying for a year. My insurance still lets me know how much stuff costs and last month''s blood tests, not even an HSG or anything, just blood tests, were over $500. How long are your cycles normally? I know that a fast way to get your blood/hormones tested is ''irregular cycles'' and that works for coding billing for insurance. You might be able to talk a new Dr into the HSG based on your history, but it would still be a tough sell for insurance...again, the key could be irregular cycles. Good luck with this. \

Laila- Just wanted to agree with swimmer here. I would not be too hard on your physician for not giving into your demands for a million dollar workup at this junction. There is a pretty good chance that your insurance would not even pay for it. And to be honest- it is wasteful to order unnecessary tests.

That said, if she did not make you feel comfortable, it is certainly time to find a new doc!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results