shape
carat
color
clarity

The official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
From Weather.com... Guess I''m going back to the grocery store...

Issued by The National Weather Service
Baltimore/Washington, MD
6:04 pm EST, Mon., Feb. 8, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 20 INCHES.

* TIMING... MID-AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES... TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING AT THE ONSET TUESDAY AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS... LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS TUESDAY BECOMING NORTHWESTERLY 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine,

I''m sure that wasn''t a fun drive. So sad things didn''t come close to working out but I''m glad you at least made it home safely.

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:00:39 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Treefrog - those are some gorgeous pictures.

My whole team from work almost got stuck out there in this storm - we all had to scramble to get up to NY late Thursday night and then find flights to our various home towns from there - I think we just barely made it out in time. Hopefully those who have to go back this week (possibly including me but not sure yet) won''t get stuck in this next round...

Condolences to all those who got stuck - sounds like a miserable situation all around!
Thank you, I''m glad you liked them. I had to take a break from shoveling snow... so I walked a mile and a half in it!
2.gif

I''m glad you didn''t get stuck with the last round and hope you don''t get stuck with round 2 coming.

Treefrog

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Sigh....... terrified about this additional 10-20 inches!! What is going on?????

I am on call tomorrow and afraid that I will never get home
39.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:13:37 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
I''ve been watching the news and the updates online. It seems like you''ve all had a crazy winter! The pictures are beautiful, as always, Treefrog.
Thank you Zoe!

That''s what I want to do... watch the next storm online! As much as I hate to say this, I suppose it could be worse -- I could live in New Orleans, Haiti, etc. At least I have a home to if I shovel hard enough.

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:29:04 PM
Author: vc10um
TF...lovely lovely pictures.

Hold on to your hats, Metro DC. The NWS is now forecasting an additional TEN TO TWENTY INCHES beginning at NOON TOMORROW.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked them.

I think my hat is buried somewhere under the first 30 inches.
39.gif
32.gif
39.gif
32.gif
I heard 6 initially, now I hear 12 - 20. I can't shovel and throw snow any higher than it already is. I have 1 more vacation day. I haven't checked on work for Tuesday yet. Right now, there is hope I can go in... and the longer I delay checking, the longer I'll have that hope!
9.gif

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 7:19:19 PM
Author: Clio
vc10um, WTOP has announced that the Feds are closed tomorrow. I can''t get through to the OPM site, but I trust that WTOP is getting their info straight from OPM.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! That most likely means I''m not working! I''m a contractor and we can''t work if there aren''t government people working.
7.gif

I just got done shoveling to make room for round 2. Now, I''m off to the grocery store. I''ll be back in 4 hours. (20 minutes to get there, 20 minutes to shop, 3 hours waiting in line, 20 minutes home)

Snowfrog

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 7:52:54 PM
Author: treefrog
Date: 2/8/2010 7:19:19 PM

Author: Clio

vc10um, WTOP has announced that the Feds are closed tomorrow. I can''t get through to the OPM site, but I trust that WTOP is getting their info straight from OPM.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! That most likely means I''m not working! I''m a contractor and we can''t work if there aren''t government people working.
7.gif

I just got done shoveling to make room for round 2. Now, I''m off to the grocery store. I''ll be back in 4 hours. (20 minutes to get there, 20 minutes to shop, 3 hours waiting in line, 20 minutes home)

Snowfrog
OPM is back up, too. Confirmed government closure for tomorrow. I don''t expect to go to work any earlier than Thursday. If not Friday. If not next Tuesday.

I surprisingly got through the grocery store quickly today. Glad I went when I did.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s the latest?? I didn''t go grocery shopping today, thought I had until late tomorrow?? I live outside of Philly, Main line.....

Action News who is reliable said the snow would start late tomorrow?? Has that changed?? GRRRRRRRR

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 8:47:31 PM
Author: Kaleigh
What''s the latest?? I didn''t go grocery shopping today, thought I had until late tomorrow?? I live outside of Philly, Main line.....

Action News who is reliable said the snow would start late tomorrow?? Has that changed?? GRRRRRRRR

National Weather Service has snow in DC rolling in around Noon. And continuing until Wednesday at 7 PM.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 8:43:49 PM

OPM is back up, too. Confirmed government closure for tomorrow. I don''t expect to go to work any earlier than Thursday. If not Friday. If not next Tuesday.

I surprisingly got through the grocery store quickly today. Glad I went when I did.
Ugh... confirmed closure for me too. Glad I''m a treefrog... I''m going to be climbing the walls! If they''re closed Tuesday with up to 20 more inches coming, I know they''ll be closed Wednesday... and probably Thursday.

The grocery store wasn''t crowded at all. Glad I wasn''t looking for frozen pizza though... they were wiped out.

I talked to a friend a little bit ago. He owns a landscaping company. He is so tired... he''s been plowing snow almost nonstop. He said there''s nowhere to put it. He has so many calls he''s telling people it''s $1,000 to plow a long driveway... and they''re going for it!

Seriously... this is insane. It''s my fault. I just sold my snowmobile a few months ago. We hadn''t been getting enough snow around here ever since I bought it and I was having to drive 6 - 8 hours to NY to ride it. I told the guy that bought it to prepare for a heck of a Winter.

Snowfrog

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
ugh, i need to vent a little:

so i worked all day this past Friday, and shelled out ~$400 for new tires and an alignment since my tires were going bald, and there was no way i was going to get home if i didn't. then i ended up having to work all day Sunday when the roads were hardly plowed. luckily my boss drove me in his H2 Hummer, but it was still pretty bad even in that car. we were slammed during the day and for Super Bowl since most people either didn't have power or cable. (FYI for those who don't know - i'm an assistant manager at a sports bar) now i understand if people need to get somewhere for food and warmth because they have no electricity, but it really pissed me off to see people out and about because of "cabin fever". seriously?! i risked driving on dangerous roads because you don't want to be in a warm house with food?! not only that, but customers who called in were angry because we don't deliver food. i mean if you can't get out because your neighborhood isn't plowed, what makes you think we can drive there in the first place?
29.gif

so after working an exhausting 12 hour day on Sunday, i come home to spend another couple of hours to dig my car out. luckily i did, because it took me nearly an hour and a half to drive to work on Monday. a lot of the main roads were still crap and i swear it felt like either my new tires were going to pop or my shocks were going out on me. the trip wasn't worth it since we didn't get much business at all. actually, i take that back. it was only worth it for the snow crews that came in, so i gave them free coffee and lunch while they watched Super Bowl highlights. those poor guys were so exhausted!

then when i got home, someone stole my parking spot! now we don't have assigned parking in my condo complex, but everyone was putting up either chairs or cones to claim the spot they cleaned themselves. normally i don't think it's fair, but because of the massive snow piles taking up a ton of spaces, i totally understand. especially when you spend hours digging it out yourself. so this morning, i placed a chair in my spot and drove off to work. but because i was one of the few that went to work in my neighborhood, someone literally tossed my chair in the middle of the street and parked in my spot. i ended up having to park on the road outside my complex.

now we're due for another 10-20" starting at noon today and i'm supposed to be at work all day again. knowing my boss, he'll keep us open on Wednesday too...but then again, i just might be stuck there anyway. i've never wanted a 4WD vehicle and dislike Mother Nature so badly in my life!

ok, venting over.

so if you're in the Rockville area in the next couple of days, come by my bar and warm up with a drink on me.
3.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my... I want to be back east!!

These pics are gorgeous, I miss the snow.. all we''ve got out here is rain
38.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 3:30:01 PM
Thanks Julianna! It was better than going stir-crazy inside. I''m not looking forward to another foot tomorrow.
39.gif
I''m heading out to shovel again while the sun is out a little. I can get my car in and out but with more coming, I need to clear it better. Watch where they put the stuff in Frederick... I work in Frederick and want to get to work so I don''t have to burn up any more vacation days. This is NOT my idea of a vacation!

Treefrog
When I lived in town, they used to dump truck it out to somewhere on East Street. It seems like this storm, though, they gave up. Those front-end loaders came to my development yesterday but left before I got home from work (3:45ish). One of the guys told my neighbor he hadn''t really had much sleep since Friday and intended to go home, no matter what. My parking lot did not get cleared, and most major roads (Rosemont and Monocacy are the two I''ve had to deal with most) are barely plowed and have one lane in each direction, at best. My stomach hurts to think about what we''re facing today and tomorrow, 9 News is saying 12-24", but at least this time the 24" is supposed to be Baltimore and points east. Sorry about your "least vacationy vacation ever". With the snow we''re getting tomorrow, I imagine I''ll be off as well.

Hang in there, everyone. May this be the last major snow we see for the next 29 years. And to all of those who wish they were here to see all this fabulous, snowy, winter-wonderland weather: I offer you free snow. Pickup only. As much as you want. Come and get it.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I live on MD eastern shore...schools closed again today and with another 12-20'' expected today into tomorrow, I doubt the kids will go all week. WORSE part=our schools are already closed next Monday and Tuesday for President''s day and some other random day off.

Went to 3 local stores today. No milk. Not one gallon, half gallon, quart, any flavor. Nothing.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
vip... that is just crazy. Ok... I get the plow crews absolutely need breaks and stuff. No problems there - they''re working so hard. But the parking spot thing... that is so wrong. That is so selfish.
29.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 1:20:23 AM
Author: yssie
Oh, my... I want to be back east!!

These pics are gorgeous, I miss the snow.. all we''ve got out here is rain
38.gif
Come on over yssie... I have an extra shovel for you!
9.gif

Seriously, I love snow. I really do. But I am sick of it!!!!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 7:00:01 AM
Author: Julianna

When I lived in town, they used to dump truck it out to somewhere on East Street. It seems like this storm, though, they gave up. Those front-end loaders came to my development yesterday but left before I got home from work (3:45ish). One of the guys told my neighbor he hadn''t really had much sleep since Friday and intended to go home, no matter what. My parking lot did not get cleared, and most major roads (Rosemont and Monocacy are the two I''ve had to deal with most) are barely plowed and have one lane in each direction, at best. My stomach hurts to think about what we''re facing today and tomorrow, 9 News is saying 12-24'', but at least this time the 24'' is supposed to be Baltimore and points east. Sorry about your ''least vacationy vacation ever''. With the snow we''re getting tomorrow, I imagine I''ll be off as well.

Hang in there, everyone. May this be the last major snow we see for the next 29 years. And to all of those who wish they were here to see all this fabulous, snowy, winter-wonderland weather: I offer you free snow. Pickup only. As much as you want. Come and get it.
Probably to the landfill. That''s kind of over in that area. No, the plow crews haven''t slept much at all. I know a few guys that do that and they are absolutely wiped out. There isn''t anywhere to put the stuff. They can only push so far or stack so high. I got my spot all shoveled to make round 2 easier and somebody broke their car free, pulled out, and brushed it off right in front of my spot. Now I have snow and ice again since people drove through it and packed it all down.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on the coast of North Carolina and we have NOTHING. I am praying for at least a dusting so my daughter can go play in it. We haven''t have snow since she was 5.

I am origirnally from Columbus Ohio and my hubby from the UP of Michigan so we miss our snow. At the hint of snow here everything closes because it MIGHT snow and God forbid a flake actually fall, people stop and pull over, it''s funny.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Sigh ... snow, snow, go away.

I need to vent here. I live 1.1 miles from work -- an easy walk on a nice day. It took me 35 minutes to get to work yesterday with the unshoveled sidewalks and the main road by my apt is a slushy MESS. When is El Nino going to fade to black???

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 12:15:57 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29

Date: 2/8/2010 11:25:42 AM

Date: 2/8/2010 11:14:50 AM
I''m SO frustrated! My husband and I dug out my car on Saturday and it was fine. I didn''t drive at all yesterday (Sunday). My husband left for Mexico on a work trip yesterday afternoon. This morning I went out to drive to work and my car is completely surrounded by snow! Our shovel is in my husband''s car at the airport! I borrowed a shovel from a neighbor and started digging. After 2 hours my car still would not budge. I am so frustrated and exhausted. I can''t get to work, which is a big deal because a little girl with mental health issues counts on me to be there with her throughout the school day. We just moved here, so I don''t have many people I can call to help. I did call a co-worker of my husband''s to see if he can stop by this afternoon and help me work on getting my car free some more so I can be sure I am able to get to work tomorrow morning. Sorry for the vent!
The wind caused some drifting snow that certainly didn''t help anybody. What general area are you in?
We are in an area outside of Altoona, PA. I''m feeling better now, just frustrated I can''t get to work. Its worse that my husband is out of town and I feel bad asking people I don''t know very well to help me.
GoingCrazy, DH is from the Altoona area! He was born in Hollidaysburg and raised in Duncansville. Small world!
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I should get caught up with the earlier part of this thread...but meanwhile, fyi...Montgomery County Schools have just announced being closed for the rest of the week.

It''s kind of funny. They have SO typically only taken it one day at a time...and only...like...after midnight would they announce for the next day. This time...they''ve unusually just thrown in the towel!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 12:35:05 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 2/8/2010 10:44:43 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
We. Are. Getting. More. Snow.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Starting Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday . . . preliminary predictions are saying 6 to 12 inches ON TOP OF THE TWO-PLUS FEET WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
32.gif
23.gif
29.gif
Michigan is getting some of that action, FINALLY!!!!
36.gif

I''m sick of staring at dead grass!
20.gif
Elle, I''ll gladly trade you! When we flew to the UP to get Tucker, I thought Michigan was beautiful! (What little we saw of it anyway.) The snow was pretty at first, but I am SOOOO over it now!!!
40.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 1:24:37 PM
Author: Regular Guy
I should get caught up with the earlier part of this thread...but meanwhile, fyi...Montgomery County Schools have just announced being closed for the rest of the week.

It''s kind of funny. They have SO typically only taken it one day at a time...and only...like...after midnight would they announce for the next day. This time...they''ve unusually just thrown in the towel!
Wow. That''s impressive.

Alexandria City is still taking it one day at a time. I''m just hoping A and I can get to Williamsburg on Saturday...we have a room at a B&B for Vday!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 1:24:23 PM

Date: 2/8/2010 11:25:42 AM

Date: 2/8/2010 11:14:50 AM
I''m SO frustrated! My husband and I dug out my car on Saturday and it was fine. I didn''t drive at all yesterday (Sunday). My husband left for Mexico on a work trip yesterday afternoon. This morning I went out to drive to work and my car is completely surrounded by snow! Our shovel is in my husband''s car at the airport! I borrowed a shovel from a neighbor and started digging. After 2 hours my car still would not budge. I am so frustrated and exhausted. I can''t get to work, which is a big deal because a little girl with mental health issues counts on me to be there with her throughout the school day. We just moved here, so I don''t have many people I can call to help. I did call a co-worker of my husband''s to see if he can stop by this afternoon and help me work on getting my car free some more so I can be sure I am able to get to work tomorrow morning. Sorry for the vent!
The wind caused some drifting snow that certainly didn''t help anybody. What general area are you in?
We are in an area outside of Altoona, PA. I''m feeling better now, just frustrated I can''t get to work. Its worse that my husband is out of town and I feel bad asking people I don''t know very well to help me.
GoingCrazy, DH is from the Altoona area! He was born in Hollidaysburg and raised in Duncansville. Small world!
9.gif
We live in Hollidaysburg :)

We got an early release from school today, everyone doubts we will have school tomorrow if the storm is as big as its supposed to be!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 2:35:19 PM

Date: 2/9/2010 1:24:23 PM

9.gif
We live in Hollidaysburg :)

We got an early release from school today, everyone doubts we will have school tomorrow if the storm is as big as its supposed to be!
We''re in Waynesboro, PA (just a little bit north of Hagerstown, MD). DH and I have been laughing about how we have more snow here than his Grandmother has in Duncansville, which has NEVER happened up until now! LOL!
2.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
It''s been snowing here since about 5 PM...big, fluffy flakes!

NWS downgraded predicted totals to 7-14" for us instead of 10-20"...can''t say I''m disappointed.

Feds are closed again tomorrow.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/9/2010 9:51:08 PM

It's been snowing here since about 5 PM...big, fluffy flakes!
Now this is a different storm from the one about which this thread was started. Doesn't it deserve its own thread? The thread title is a bit ambiguous. Does, "The Official Mid-Atlantic Blizzard Thread" refer to the blizzard it was referring to when it was started, or to all Mid-Atlantic blizzards?

I say we start a new thread.

I am going to be daring and start one.

If you want to visit it, click here. :)

AGBF
34.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
There is another option. Y''all can move to San Diego where we have no snow plows. It''s so much safer....if you exclude the sanity scale.
17.gif
17.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Could this get any worse? Outside of being wiped out and sore from shoveling snow, I guess I found the limits of what my body can take. I decided I had to get out of the house yesterday so I went skiing at Whitetail. About 2 miles from the slopes, I have to pull over... I got a little sick. Felt better after that so I kep going. I made 5 runs and was just too sore to continue. It was snowing pretty heavy so I really needed to get out of there anyway. The roads are pretty crummy in that area. I had to pull over again on my way home. I think my body temperature instantly went up about 10 degrees and I had to shed some clothes. I made it home around 3:00 and went right to bed. I''m feeling slightly better now. Seems flu-like to me. Temperature between 97.6 and 101.7, very sore, everything aches. I feel like I got thrown from a train and then run over by a tractor-trailer. Guess I won''t be digging out any time soon. Work is obviously closed today. It''s snowing like crazy right now. Can''t tell how much is out there. 8 - 10" of new snow I''d guess. They''re still calling for 10-20 in this area.

I''m ready to go back to Key West. This is insane. Hope everybody is hanging in there...

Sickfrog

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results