shape
carat
color
clarity

The new Wittelsbach-Graff

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 7:00:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s the unveiled picture of the recut.
I''m rather disappointed, now smaller vrtual facets, stone still looks the same blue/gray.
Oh well when I am as wealthy as Graff I guess I can do all sorts of things for publicity.

empress

Shiny_Rock
The way it looks - Eric Cartman (Southpark) should do a review...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''m a philistine, but I don''t have a problem with Graff recutting the stone.

Historic jewels and gemstones have been broken up and recut since forever - why should it be any different now than in 1800. In 200 years time the new cut will be regarded as a historic stone as well.

I do admit that I''m the kind of person who likes to see things ''tarted up'' - for example if I go to look at a historic castle, I don''t get much out of a pile of ruined rock - instead I like the rebuilds where the original parts are preserved and the new bits done in a slightly different colour so that I can see what the castle would have looked like. (Lol, wouldn''t think I had a background in archaeology - my tutors would shudder I''m sure!
31.gif
)

Even there, you get problems as so many things evolve over time with changes here and there - just how far back do you go for the ''original''? There are buildings here in London where Roman mosaic floors were found when they were carrying out rennovations - however there were two or three layers of mosaic as when the family got bored or fashions changed they just built a new one on top. If you were putting the building on display, which mosaic should you leave in place? The earliest? The latest?

Graff is also no fool and I would expect him to take the business of a recut very seriously - especially since there is likely to be a degree of outrage!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results