shape
carat
color
clarity

The never-ending project ...Asscher Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 5:16:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 7/11/2006 5:05:48 PM

Author: decodelighted

I THINK this ring was on ebay for awhile ... must not have sold. It looks REALLY familiar to me.

A ring like that really needs to be on consignment with a reputable jeweler. I surely wouldn''t buy something like that on ebay or from any ad.

I totally agree with you. However, if that ring was brought to Nancy Stacy, a master appraiser and PS community member, and she said it checked out, and I could use her or someone else as an escrow service, I''d be ALL OVER IT. I have that much trust in her. Ask anyone here who has used her, or who is in the appraisal industry.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 5:23:43 PM
Author: isaku5
Date: 7/11/2006 5:19:32 PM

Author: wallermama

Deco, I could imagine that it is quite hard to sell a ~$40K ring and could definitely imagine that it has been on Ebay.

I just love the idea of not paying retail prices (or sales tax) for diamonds. I can also imagine being in the position of needing to sell my ''preciouuuuuussssss'' and feeling like the resale industry was jamming it to me and feeling good about selling it to a human who was going to love it, not profit off of it.

However, without eyeballs and fingers in the Bay Area, Isabel would once again be going down a non-refundable path.

Unless Kristydarling and I go visit it first! Can you say, vicarious living through handshots?
2.gif
Hand shots would be AMAZING!!!! Is it in the realm of possibility, wallermama????
36.gif

If you were really interested, contacted the person and got additional pictures that you liked, had a good feeling from them, as well as a feeling that they would be willing to work with you in Canada, they agreed to the independent appraisal, and would be willing to let me meet them in a jewelry store or something like that, I''d totally do that. But only if it looked like everything else was kosher...does that makes sense? And it may be that they could provide good enough pics that it wouldn''t be necessary. I certainly wouldn''t feel right being the person to tell you if it was a good purchase...that would be Nancy''s job, or someone else''s as an appraiser. But handshots would be fun! And fondling a giant asscher is always enjoyable.

Let me know what you find out.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I e-mailed them for more pics as soon as I saw your info so we''ll see what happens from there.
36.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WM, if everything checks out and Isaku wants to move forward, let me know if you want a buddy to go with you....I''m okay at taking ring pics.
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 5:41:09 PM
Author: KristyDarling
WM, if everything checks out and Isaku wants to move forward, let me know if you want a buddy to go with you....I''m okay at taking ring pics.
9.gif

Diamond WonderTwins, Activate!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 5:38:04 PM
I e-mailed them for more pics as soon as I saw your info so we''ll see what happens from there.
36.gif

isaku, I really want you to be happy with whatever ring you choose. I do hope however that you will be fair and considerate of Jonathan and all the effort and work he''s done/doing for you. I understand business is business and a better deal might come along like this craigslist thing. Just please don''t string the vendors along if you''re really not sure what you want. It''s not fair to them IMO to keep sending them down this path only to have you call and say.."oops, found something else, nevermind." I may be alone in my feelings that I like to reward the ones who have gone the extra mile for me with my business even if I have to pay a bit more. Good luck and I really do hope you find your dream ring
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 7:31:14 PM
Author: mrssalvo

36.gif

isaku, I really want you to be happy with whatever ring you choose. I do hope however that you will be fair and considerate of Jonathan and all the effort and work he''s done/doing for you. I understand business is business and a better deal might come along like this craigslist thing. Just please don''t string the vendors along if you''re really not sure what you want. It''s not fair to them IMO to keep sending them down this path only to have you call and say..''oops, found something else, nevermind.'' I may be alone in my feelings that I like to reward the ones who have gone the extra mile for me with my business even if I have to pay a bit more. Good luck and I really do hope you find your dream ring
1.gif
I agree 100%. Very well said mrssalvo. You have a way with words that I don''t have but ditto what you said so elequentlly. Isaku it is something to think about. Really
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

36.gif

isaku, I really want you to be happy with whatever ring you choose. I do hope however that you will be fair and considerate of Jonathan and all the effort and work he''s done/doing for you. I understand business is business and a better deal might come along like this craigslist thing. Just please don''t string the vendors along if you''re really not sure what you want. It''s not fair to them IMO to keep sending them down this path only to have you call and say..''oops, found something else, nevermind.'' I may be alone in my feelings that I like to reward the ones who have gone the extra mile for me with my business even if I have to pay a bit more. Good luck and I really do hope you find your dream ring
1.gif
Thanks for the wise words as always, Mrssalvo.

Who knows whether the seller of this ring is even legit at this point? I''m not getting my hopes up too high this time in case they will be dashed as happened on Sunday.

I have received one communication from the ring seller in which he sent the same pics and GIA info as appeared in the publication wallermama found. A publication which I''m not familiar with at all, I should add.

Jonathan has been/ is being great to me in my so far futile search for a great setter.

The problem, as we all know by now, is the halo setting of the smaller asscher. I don''t think I can afford a nice larger one right now and I told Jonathan that today; back to the dilemma of who can set a baguette halo well???? Apparently, Jonathan''s benchman of choice has set a few, but I would like to see pictures first.

I''m just trying to keep my options open without hurting anyone, myself included.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh how sweet, the power of PS!!! craigslist rocks! isaku if you really like the look of that ring (it's lovely but i didn't know you were considering a 3 stone, though it would definitely take up finger real estate, and wow a 3c asscher and sides for 40k or less?!!), i'd take up KD and WM on the offer for them to go check it out and take some pictures, AND i'd also see if you can get a local appraiser like nancy stacy in WC to check it out, she is VERY reputable and knows her stuff....she even teaches GIA appraisal classes. i would trust her opinion hands down on something like a secondhand purchase like this. she sees a lot of stones and jewelry in her biz. i'd also see if you can negotiate a bit on the price to get it closer to your budget. we all know how hard it is to secondhand sell a ring, so you may be able to get a price that you are happy with and the seller is too.

in any case, i think you definitely should consider ALL options and alternatives that are out there or that you find. it's fab that jonathan has been just sooo wonderful to work with BUT you need to consider where you want your money to go. this is a ring you will be wearing for a long time hopefully and the third time needs to be a charm!! i am in the sales biz and sometimes we lose a sale when a client goes in a totally different direction and yes it can irk, but hey what do you do. it's their money and they have to spend it as they see fit and what is right for them. i would just let the vendors know you are still considering other options and as long as they are okay with that, keep researching and checking into things. it's not over til the bank wire clears!!!!!
5.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 8:21:33 PM
Author: Mara
it's not over til the bank wire clears!!!!!
5.gif

and even then it's not over
40.gif

i agree it's a lot of money and to explore all options. Just saying to be upfront with the vendors.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 8:29:18 PM

Date: 7/11/2006 8:21:33 PM
Author: Mara
it''s not over til the bank wire clears!!!!!
5.gif
and even then it''s not over
40.gif
don''t even think it!
32.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 8:07:23 PM
Author: Kaleigh

36.gif

1.gif
I agree 100%. Very well said mrssalvo. You have a way with words that I don''t have but ditto what you said so elequentlly. Isaku it is something to think about. Really
2.gif

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Mrssalvo, and Kaleigh. But I do think that Jonathan is as sharp as a tack and knows that any work he is putting into this endeavor is not guaranteed to ever materialize. I''m sure he feels more like a marriage and family therapist than a gemologist at times in his business, and has seen what indecision, tears and panic a major $30K+ project can bring to the heartiest of us folks. As Mara stated, he is in sales, and knows Isabel, and has read these posts closely I am sure.

I guess I feel like great vendors deserve our unfailing respect and kindness, but they are people, and would also explore value-saving options and would encourage Isabel to do the same. If you had been working closely with Jonathan and then saw the gorgeous stone you are getting at Pearlman''s, wouldn''t he be the first to congratulate you on your lucky find?

It''s a fine line, and I do agree Isabel needs to be upfront and sensitive to how much research and hunting each vendor does, as we all should do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of all the people I know, Jonathan would be exactly the kind to be happy for the person regardless of whether they bought his stone or not. He has integrity and is a genuinely caring person. But I think mrssalvo and Kaleigh make a very good point that Isabel should not have Jonathan do any more work for her unless she is willing to stop looking elsewhere and let him find her a stone. She has already kept the 2.26 out of circulation for close to a month and should not do that again unless she is ready to buy. I''d be curious about this new asscher, but it almost seems like another wild goose chase to me. Of course, it can''t hurt to ask if they''d send it to the independent appraiser. She''ll likely find out then whether it''s a real deal or not. I''ve taken my time finding a stone, too, but I have at least stuck with PS vendors the entire time! Thankfully they seem more trustworthy than some we''ve heard about on here lately (think pink pear)! And the one who has given me the most time and outstanding service has earned my business, even though I have good things to say about all the ones I''ve talked with.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates, Isabel?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 2:49:25 PM
Any updates, Isabel?
Thanks for asking, wm.

I exchanged a couple of e-mails with the vendor last night. I asked him to take more (closer) pics, but he had difficulty with the digital shots and gave me the phone # of the jeweller who made the ring ( Tom Hunt). I have phoned Mr. Hunt and he says he might have some pictures on file that he could send me later today. He has also asked the vendor (who is going out of town for the weekend) to leave the ring with him so that he could take more pics and actually have the ring in his possession when we speak next. The vendor (I''ll call him Bill) has agreed to drop the ring off later today.

I also contacted the appraiser ( Lindy Matula) and left a message for her to contact me.

I do not want to send you and KristyDarling on a wild goose chase as you were very kind to volunteer for this. So until I receive more pics and know a little more, we''ll wait.

Does anyone know anything about Tom Hunt or Lindy Matula?

Am I allowed to post the pic and the GIA report he sent? It''s the same as was on Craigslist, but clearer to read.

That''s the latest.....

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 3:08:24 PM
Date: 7/12/2006 2:49:25 PM

Any updates, Isabel?
Thanks for asking, wm.

Am I allowed to post the pic and the GIA report he sent? It''s the same as was on Craigslist, but clearer to read.

That''s the latest.....

Absolutely you can post them, that''d be great. If they are too big, you might need to resize, or click the administrator button to have the Pricescope Wizards help you.

I haven''t heard of those people but I''ll hunt around to see what I can find...

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
And by vendor, do you mean the individual selling the ring? Or is it being sold by a business?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t heard of any of those names either, but that doesn''t necessarily mean they''re not legit. Is the appraiser Lindy an independent or does she work for Tom Hunt the jeweler? If it''s at all possible, I''d have the ring sent to someone extremely respected such as Nancy Stacy in Walnut Creek or Cortney Balzan in San Francisco.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 3:13:46 PM
And by vendor, do you mean the individual selling the ring? Or is it being sold by a business?
Bill is the vendor selling the ring, but he has had it on consignment with Tom Hunt until recently.

Unfortunately for Bill, his engagement was called off by his then fiancee and she returned the ring. I won''t know the "condition" of the ring until Mr Hunt sees it. Apparently, the engagement lasted about a year and the ring has been back in Bill''s hands for about 6 months ( hoping for reconciliation?)

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
KristyDarling...Tom Hunt explained to me that he does not appraise his own rings.

Lindy is an independent appraiser, but I certainly would insist on an appraisal by the one you and waller suggested.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 3:16:35 PM
Author: KristyDarling
I haven''t heard of any of those names either, but that doesn''t necessarily mean they''re not legit. Is the appraiser Lindy an independent or does she work for Tom Hunt the jeweler? If it''s at all possible, I''d have the ring sent to someone extremely respected such as Nancy Stacy in Walnut Creek or Cortney Balzan in San Francisco.

She (Linda Matula) is an Accredited Senior Appraiser member with the ASA just like Nancy Stacy, which is a good sign, and I see her recommended with Courtney Balzan and Nancy Stacy on various websites, so that makes me feel better...

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I found a "C Thomas Hunt Designs" listed at 203 Post Street in San Francisco...

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 3:33:14 PM
I found a ''C Thomas Hunt Designs'' listed at 203 Post Street in San Francisco...
Sorry, don''t know whether that''s the one, but he did say that he doesn''t have a storefront. The last 4 numbers of his phone # are 9547.

Will try to post pics now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must have been one crazy fiancee!
2.gif
This could be a very interesting scenario! I think the key is figuring out how low to offer. Obviously the appraisal will be more than he actually paid.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 3:43:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That must have been one crazy fiancee!
2.gif
This could be a very interesting scenario! I think the key is figuring out how low to offer. Obviously the appraisal will be more than he actually paid.
Diamondseeker...That was my first thought too, but then again we don''t know the whole story.

I''m having a heck of a time re-sizing these. Can''t seem to get them to co-operate.

Appraisal is 55k, he would like 40k. No way I''m paying that for a second hand ring no matter how great it sounds. Fair price might be??????

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Isaku, if you mentioned pricescope to "Bill" you might not want to say too much about your bargaining strategy. But I will say that it sounds like you are in a very very good position to get a good deal, if everything checks out!

And I think it is great to think of this helping this man move on with his life, too. It must be horrible to be unable to find a way to "get out" of this ring and what it represents.

I, for one, am not superstitious about previously worn jewelry. Diamonds have seen every joy and horror humans are capable of well before they are ever cut and polished, as rocks in our earth
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would find out how much you could build this same ring for aka online, and then offer something along those lines with a discount.

just because it''s a second hand ring doesn''t mean that it should be ''cheap''. it can be polished and look like new (or maybe it already has)....so if you can build the same thing for $40k then i''d offer something like $35k or similar.

of course you want to get a good deal, but i wouldn''t want to gouge the seller either. both parties should hopefully be happy.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 4:06:31 PM
Isaku, if you mentioned pricescope to ''Bill'' you might not want to say too much about your bargaining strategy. But I will say that it sounds like you are in a very very good position to get a good deal, if everything checks out!

And I think it is great to think of this helping this man move on with his life, too. It must be horrible to be unable to find a way to ''get out'' of this ring and what it represents.

I, for one, am not superstitious about previously worn jewelry. Diamonds have seen every joy and horror humans are capable of well before they are ever cut and polished, as rocks in our earth
2.gif
If it was going to be worn as an e-ring, I might feel hesitation, but as a rhr...not really.

He is hinting that he''d like top dollar, but would also like the whole experience to be over.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i found a 3.16 G VS2 very good cut asscher on blue nile that is listed bank wire price of 44k.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00418817

there is a 3.11 G VS2 that is a virtual stone that vendors have listed for between 36k and 37k.

so using that as some sort of basis of comparison, if you paid a rough $40k for a stone like this and then assuming something like $1500-2000 for the traps and platinum setting, total being around $42k, then offering something like $35k to me doesn't sound too badly.

it could have appraised for $55k but we don't know what he paid either. if he bought it retail, it's possible he paid more than online.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. find out what you''d have to pay for it new and knock the price down. He''d still end up ahead getting 35K for it. Most people would have a very difficult time reselling something like that adding to it the fact that it was a previously worn e-ring for those who don''t like bad karma. Then you''ve got to find someone who is willing to accept all of that and has 35K to buy it. he''d be lucky if you made the offer and foolish not to take it. especially if it''s been sitting in a jewelry store on consignment for quite some time. You''re the one with the cash, i''d low ball with a little room to negotiate up..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results