clarity

The need for new pearls

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive been looking at all @yssie 's wonderful pictures
Now for my little project i dont need Mikimoto or Andrew's dreamy gemies
But i do know i need something better than what i got down at the mall
Sigh
i have now (today) relegated said mall pearls (pictured) to being paired up with a very sparkly totally fake black cameo
I do have a pretty 9k cameo that was a gift from a freind years ago that i considered first, but even that deserves better pearls and im not spending a cent more on these pearls and the silver catch with the gold cameo would annoy me and would result in restringing etc costs

These are the rejects
well that's a little unkind
I do wear them
20211202_143835.jpg

So i guess what im really doing is bookmarking myself so my first 'me' purchase in the new year is some pearls
I need a strand for my daisy necklase with the focus on white and round over luster
And now i need another strand for all my pandora daisies that i can't show you because they have a teeny tiny CZ in them
But ive had a good look today at the charms (thank you black friday sale) and im sure i can make it work by jamming or glueing a round silver bead in them - so that the pearls and charms can be knotted
Even though these charms are more fashion jewlery they deserve nicer pearls

So anyway i will need help buying a couple of strands on line and the findings

I just need to find my new calipers and work out the sizes i need

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds i think you absolutely deserve new pearls!!!! Is Pearl Paradise an option? I just got a nice pearl AAA Akoya bracelet from them on Black Friday and got a great deal, $196 USD! They have pretty strands for not that much, not Miki priced at all!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds i think you absolutely deserve new pearls!!!! Is Pearl Paradise an option? I just got a nice pearl AAA Akoya bracelet from them on Black Friday and got a great deal, $196 USD! They have pretty strands for not that much, not Miki priced at all!

im just after freesies i think
for the one with the pandpra charms anyway
i just want some actual luster

but for the white daisies even though those charms only cost $25 i think i do want really nice looking pearls

how ones standards change .....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im looking at Wen pearls for the pandora strand
they ship to NZ no problem and the prices seem good for a fun strand

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Snowdrop13 i just read on the pearl sticky thread you were very happy with Wen pearls
any points i should be awear of ?
i have never purchsed anything from overseas other than from the US or Aussie and i have never shopped esty before

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought from wen a few times. Usually findings (you get what you pay for)! Do note that shipping is quite slow (to Australia) if not upgrading to DHL. My parcels sometime take up to a month to arrive.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Snowdrop13 i just read on the pearl sticky thread you were very happy with Wen pearls
any points i should be awear of ?
i have never purchsed anything from overseas other than from the US or Aussie and i have never shopped esty before

Yes, I’ve made 4 purchases so far. Each order arrived within 2 weeks. Their photos are good and true to life. I’d say keep to their AAA quality if buying freshwaters.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you @Crystal_Dreams and @Snowdrop13
you have reassured me
i think i could have a lot of fun from Wen with $100 plus GST
ive got nothing to loose
perhaps i want nicer pearls for the white daisy strand but if they dont turn out quite nice enough i have so many fun pearl idea in my head
i went through a bag of my old fashion jewlery and there were some cool 'pearl' things i would still wear if they wernt broken

shipping delays we are used to here
i heard recently of a letter that took two weeks just to cross town ( i kid you not)

after christmas ill save up for pearl paradise

ittypea

Rough_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I'm excited that you're getting some new blings! I've been so overwhelmingly enamored by pearls (since my initial post where you gave me much education on the matter) that I purchased another 5-6 strands of freshwater ones from Aliexpress/Etsy. They are all relatively cheap, I plan to make a bunch pearl bracelets and gift them this holiday! I hope you make something fun and can't wait to see the results :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eBay can be a great source for state strands too! I’d love to see @Lisa Loves Shiny resurrect her eBay finds thread ❤️ She posted a Freshadama from PP that was being sold for a song once, I remember being super tempted by that one especially…

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I'm excited that you're getting some new blings! I've been so overwhelmingly enamored by pearls (since my initial post where you gave me much education on the matter) that I purchased another 5-6 strands of freshwater ones from Aliexpress/Etsy. They are all relatively cheap, I plan to make a bunch pearl bracelets and gift them this holiday! I hope you make something fun and can't wait to see the results :)
thank you ittypea
i shell check them out
and im so glad you are having fun and also gifting pearls
i see so many pearls (lots of earings) earing around this town, on people (well ladies, havnt seen any blokes yet) rich and not rich, young and old, expsenisie looking ones and one's from the mall jewler, maybe even some faux pearls
but i feel very ecouraged by it all

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
See gold is so exspensive and i have a couple of things unworn because i dont have a gold chain suitable
Crappy photo sorry
This has a bail already but im not sure if i want to suspend it from a strand or for two halves of a strand attach to it ?
But i want to use little baby pearls
20220415_182528.jpg 20220415_182619.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then i have this i want to buy a nice heavy rose gold chain for
Sigh
Not when this house needs insulation can i justify buying a gold chain but i could buy some pearls instead 20220415_182432.jpg
I just love this Smokey quartz but because its rose gold ive never had anything to wear it on
not sure what size pearls - its about 2"long (yes after the recent citrene experience i should measure this)

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then i have this i want to buy a nice heavy rose gold chain for
Sigh
Not when this house needs insulation can i justify buying a gold chain but i could buy some pearls instead 20220415_182432.jpg
I just love this Smokey quartz but because its rose gold ive never had anything to wear it on
not sure what size pearls - its about 2"long (yes after the recent citrene experience i should measure this)

I wouldn't put that pendant over the new pearls, it might scratch them.
If it's rose gold maybe getting a rose gold-filled chain or vermeil, to match would be better. These are inexpensive.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't put that pendant over the new pearls, it might scratch them.
If it's rose gold maybe getting a rose gold-filled chain or vermeil, to match would be better. These are inexpensive.

I would get the pearls loose and have them strung with the pendent

ive thoight of gold filled ..... but im just not sure,
The Wen pearl prices for what im looking at are really really reasonable
I just think id wear pearls more than a pendent on a chain
I can always keep some pearls as spairs if a couple do get scratched
We arnt talking Mikimoto prices here ;)2

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would get the pearls loose and have them strung with the pendent

ive thoight of gold filled ..... but im just not sure,
The Wen pearl prices for what im looking at are really really reasonable
I just think id wear pearls more than a pendent on a chain
I can always keep some pearls as spairs if a couple do get scratched
We arnt talking Mikimoto prices here ;)2
I understand.
I got some AA+ metallic pearls from Pearlescence. Nevertheless I baby them and only wear them on their own while mindful of any metals around them like zippers from my leather jackets.

I might be exaggerating, anyway.

These are the pearls: 625251

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opps i May not have been clear
Ill get bigger pearls for the smokey quarts

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand.
I got some AA+ metallic pearls from Pearlescence. Nevertheless I baby them and only wear them on their own while mindful of any metals around them like zippers from my leather jackets.

I might be exaggerating, anyway.

These are the pearls: pearls-sm.jpg

Oh they are lovelly

The pearls im looking at are like NZ$45 +knotting and a clasp

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh they are lovelly

The pearls im looking at are like NZ$45 +knotting and a clasp

That's a good price and if you get them from Wen's, they will be good pearls.
Can't wait to see them!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Opps i May not have been clear
Ill get bigger pearls for the smokey quarts
Bigger is better
I got PSS (pearl shrinkage syndrome) after getting 6.5 mm studs and when I bought the necklace I made sure they were bigger. They are 8.5 - 9 mm if I recall well.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
See gold is so exspensive and i have a couple of things unworn because i dont have a gold chain suitable
Crappy photo sorry
This has a bail already but im not sure if i want to suspend it from a strand or for two halves of a strand attach to it ?
But i want to use little baby pearls
20220415_182528.jpg 20220415_182619.jpg

Daisy I think this would look so pretty with a strand of baby pearls. Have you figured out where the clasp and chain will sit if the bail is used and also, just in case you haven’t noticed maybe check the piece over as the photo suggests that there is a break in the setting that may need to be repaired.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daisy I think this would look so pretty with a strand of baby pearls. Have you figured out where the clasp and chain will sit if the bail is used and also, just in case you haven’t noticed maybe check the piece over as the photo suggests that there is a break in the setting that may need to be repaired.

Thank you for noticing, talk about eagle eyes
i completly missed that

i was just going to ask them at the jewlers
The younger (then me) lady behind the counter seems to have quite an artistic eye
I can't deside wheather to use the bail and chain or have it fixed to the middle of a strand

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DSS
PSS
JSS (jadeite)
GSS (gem)

Unfortunately all syndromes are real :D

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Such a good idea to use a strand of pearls as a 'chain' for a necklace! Makes a much more interesting piece of jewelry & if it saves money as well that's just a win-win. :)

HHtv

Rough_Rock
Has anyone purchased a Pinctada maxima shell from Paspaley? I feel like it would be a great object to have in the pearl collection!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im kinda glad i havn't placed an order yet
im having no fun with my bead purcheses
Everything arrives with instant shrinkage syndrome as a bonus extra :boohoo: :angryfire: :(2 :confused::boohoo:
If it wasn't for the shipping $$$ it would almost be a worthwhile lesson :lol-2:

i brought modern electronic calipers from Amazon but i found the instructions hard to understand and now the battery is flat

I feel i should from now on order at least a size bigger on everything!

How ever im looking and learning from other threads
Order extra strands from Wen and pick out the nicest pearls to use

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
not quite what i envisioned when i started this thread :lol-2:
laughing is ok :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:
so ... finally did a wee inexpensive order
the shipping from Wen is very reasonably
nothing spectacular but pearly components for two projects - i have two of those dyed freshwater wired necklaces from the early years of this century (the naughties ??)- im combining into one necklace but due to fat neck i need an extender also and
who would have known how hard it is to track down small dyed freshies - but Wen had grey
not too fussed about quality as they are going at the back and ill only need at most 6 so i should be able to pick out 6 nice ones

and some other small ones to change up my Carrie - i mean Nicky necklace

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results