shape
carat
color
clarity

The Moonstone - Chapters 1-5

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Irish- I am also pretty far into it. Once the mystery really got going... I couldn't put it down!! I usually draw a nice hot bubble bath and read, and I have to tear myself away when the water is freezing cold! I think I am up to chapter 18 or something... It is getting very juicy. I don't want to spoil stuff for other readers, but I a intrigued to find out more about this plot twist regarding some of the "ladies" in the house....

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, Tuckins, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's reading ahead! :devil:

And you've just made me want to read ahead even more!!! :tongue:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrrl said:
Oooh, Tuckins, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who's reading ahead! :devil:

And you've just made me want to read ahead even more!!! :tongue:

Lol... It really starts going fast.... :))

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't think we ever agreed on a timeline for how fast we were going to read (other than trying to finish the book around a month) so I think you two should go ahead and start the next thread! I'm also a bit ahead of chapter 5.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen said:
I don't think we ever agreed on a timeline for how fast we were going to read (other than trying to finish the book around a month) so I think you two should go ahead and start the next thread! I'm also a bit ahead of chapter 5.

Absolutely. If you think you should break the discussion down into chunks of x many chapters each so as not to spoil the suspense for readers who do not want to know anything more than what they have read, then start threads for each chunk of chapters you wish. I would leave it entirely to you as to how you break down the chapters ahead. You can do it in groups of 5 to be consistent with how we did the first five, or, if you feel a group of chapters belongs together for discussion purposes, you can group some according to what would be a good group for discussion!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
good idea everyone!

I haven't gotten as much reading in this week, I think I'm on 7? Working on moving takes up sooooo much time.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
There are really two parts of the book- perhaps this thread should be for the first section, and the next section can be discussed in another? I am almost done with the book (was up north with no cable for 3 days :rodent: ), so I won't say too much until I know exactly where to post...

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tuckins & Irish -

I'm glad to hear the story starts roaring along. I've finished Chapter 10, and I feel like I'm just arriving at the point where things start to happen.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuckins ~ I just finished the first section, and I've been trying not to read any further until we decide how we're going to split the book up. If everyone wants to make this thread about the first part of the book and start a new one for the second part, that works for me! Or, if we want to do five chapters at a time, that's fine with me too! :))

Rainwood ~ Yes, it definitely gets moving! I think you're just getting into the good part! :bigsmile:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
rainwood said:
Tuckins & Irish -

I'm glad to hear the story starts roaring along. I've finished Chapter 10, and I feel like I'm just arriving at the point where things start to happen.

It definitely took a while to get moving, but then it gets really juicy!! What's happening in chapter 10 (I can't remember form chapter to chapter) What have you found out so far?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tuckins -

Chapter 10 is where Rachel wears the Moonstone to her birthday party, spurns the proposal of her previous favorite, and the 3 Indian jugglers are not what they appear to be. Everything seems to be in place!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
rainwood said:
Tuckins -

Chapter 10 is where Rachel wears the Moonstone to her birthday party, spurns the proposal of her previous favorite, and the 3 Indian jugglers are not what they appear to be. Everything seems to be in place!

Oooh, yes. This is where things start to get very juicy... Read the next few chapters and come back to discuss! :appl:

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
Woah, I better catch up! I'm in ch. 6 and still felt like the book was moving a bit slowly so it's good to hear that it picks up more.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood said:
Tuckins -

Somebody has to organize a discussion if we are really going to discuss the book in parts. I, frankly, don't know how to do that. I have read through Rachel's birthday party, but I am used to discussing an entire book with a book club. Is there some aspect of the book which someone would like to discuss in a separate thread? We coud discuss Wilkie Collins' use of humor in the book. Or we could discuss whether we liked his use of Gabriel Betteredge acting as narrator to further the story after the introduction by the cousin of John Herncastle. I am just throwing out these ideas; I am open to others. We need something to discuss, however, and a new thread in which to discuss it unless we want to keep waiting.

Deb/AGBF

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I agree. There is a lot going on in this book, and just breaking it down by chapters won't work. (There are too many!!)

I am all done with the book. Maybe when some others get done, we can just start a thread pertaining to one aspect (whichever strikes your fancy) and discuss it... I'll go first. I will think of an interesting aspect and then start a thread. Then others can chime in as they like.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1 said:
I agree. There is a lot going on in this book, and just breaking it down by chapters won't work. (There are too many!!)

I am all done with the book. Maybe when some others get done, we can just start a thread pertaining to one aspect (whichever strikes your fancy) and discuss it... I'll go first. I will think of an interesting aspect and then start a thread. Then others can chime in as they like.

ETA- I just need to think of something that won't give away any key plot points!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really glad you posted, Tuckins! I am still reading diligently, although I am far behind you. And I am interested in discussing the book! I am glad I am not reading alone. In the beginning all of us were posting more!

Deb

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
I'm really glad you posted, Tuckins! I am still reading diligently, although I am far behind you. And I am interested in discussing the book! I am glad I am not reading alone. In the beginning all of us were posting more!

Deb

Keep going!! I am dying to discuss!! since you have gotten to Rachel's birthday, perhaps we can discuss her perspective suitors?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I hope others are still reading! I did a little catching up last night. I got thrown off last week because of moving!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Life has intervened and I haven't started reading yet. I may have to drop out of this month's selection. With regrets...rs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
risingsun said:
Life has intervened and I haven't started reading yet. I may have to drop out of this month's selection. With regrets...rs.

I saw you had posted to the thread and hoped you were commenting on the book, Marian. No pressure, but anytime you want to pick it up is a good time! I think only a couple of of people have read very far. I have a feeling that I (at about chapter XX) may be farther ahead than most. So if you have time now, you can always start. Or not.

Deb

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm on chapter XVI maybe? It's finally started to move along at a faster clip. I'm really enjoying the book.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
So glad others are flying through the book! I'm done and am DYING to talk about it! :cheeky:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought someone asked where we all were in our reading, but I may have gotten lost in this thread. I am now in London with Miss Clack narrating.

Deb

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm only on chapter 22 - Lady Verinder has just gone to the town in the rain to talk to Rachel. Gotta get back to it! I only have time for about one chapter per day on week days, so I've been trying to make up a little ground on weekends.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen said:
I'm only on chapter 20 - Lady Verinder has just gone to the town in the rain to talk to Rachel. Gotta get back to it! I only have time for about one chapter per day on week days, so I've been trying to make up a little ground on weekends.

You and I are close, Elrohwen.

Deb

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
I thought someone asked where we all were in our reading, but I may have gotten lost in this thread. I am now in London with Miss Clack narrating.

Deb

I think this was my least favorite part of the book, but I do see why we needed her point of view. It tells us more about other key characters.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Just got to the part narrated by Miss Clack. Boy is she ever annoying!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so far behind! I really had horrible timing when I proposed a PS book club the week before I started a new school year in a new school. BUUUT, here I am. Better late than never, right?

I am thoroughly enjoying the book, though I'm only on Chapter 7. I've been chuckling to myself quite a bit, and I particularly enjoyed Bettinger's commentary on Mr. Franklin's international education. I'm also really curious to learn more about Nancy.

I'm off to read more so I can catch up with everyone in the other threads!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results