shape
carat
color
clarity

The Ideal numbers within Ideal cut (RB)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would be examples of some of the best number combinations (table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle) to get ex, ex, ex, ex on the HCA and AGS0?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
White line is just for AGS0 CANDIDATES

Table 53%
t53.jpg

Table 54%
t54.jpg

Table 55%
t55.jpg

Table 56%
t56.jpg

Table 57%
t57.jpg

Table 58%
t58.jpg

Table 59%
t59.jpg

Table 60%
t60.jpg

Table 61%
t61.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can start with the default numbers in hca and just change them each a few degrees to find different combinations that work. ags0 candidates will fall within the solid white outlined box. you won't find too many ags0's with pavilion angles above 41, so when inputting numbers, keep the pa around 40.4-40.8 and the crown angle between 34-36.
have fun!
36.gif

eta: or just look at the charts above! very handy!
36.gif
thanks leonid.
19.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
By holding to ex, ex, ex, ex on the hca your reading too much into it.
pretty much anything between 1 and 2 is kicken in my book and down to .6 can be kicken too with the proper combo but they need to be checked.

The hca doesn''t take all the facets into account which can change the personality of the diamond and make the specific ratings meaningless.
The hca is best at predicting that the average crown angle works well with the average pavilion angle of the diamond.
Beyond that IS and ASET and other scope images come into play as the next step.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Pricescope and Belle! This is very helpful.

Storm, the stone I am looking at falls in the AGS0 range on the HCA chart and has a 1.4 HCA. But the spread is VG. I am assuming that must be due to the depth being 62.

Is table size just a personal preference within 53-61? I am looking at 54 and it looks really small to me, but that is likely due to my current diamond having a large table.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2006 11:09:38 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Thanks Pricescope and Belle! This is very helpful.

Storm, the stone I am looking at falls in the AGS0 range on the HCA chart and has a 1.4 HCA. But the spread is VG. I am assuming that must be due to the depth being 62.

Is table size just a personal preference within 53-61? I am looking at 54 and it looks really small to me, but that is likely due to my current diamond having a large table.
Many prefer smaller tables, but the it can be very personal. My preference is for larger tables. Maybe that''s because my pet rock has a 59% table and it''s really stunning, plus it scores 1.2 on the HCA.

The reason the stone you''re commenting on apprears small is it''s steep/deep stone. That means more of the diamond is in it''s depth, which can make it appear smaller for its carat weight. That''s not bad depending on how you set such a stone, but if you bury the stone in a bezel setting for example, you can pay for weight you won''t see.

Good luck.........

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Question on the HCA, anything under 1 needs to be checked out then? Based on the cut advisor for this diamond it is .5 Does that mean it I should get it checked out?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/705/

thks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, it''s not uncommon for the typical AGS0 ideals we see on here to have VG spread and not EX. only about 1 in 5 that i run through HCA typically have EX on spread. i would estimate that a more shallow depth but with other angles and specs aligned correctly would yield the most elusive 4 EX''s. Greg''s small ACA had 4 EX''s and i was like WOW that''s sweet...but i wouldn''t let that VG be a deal breaker on spread, esp if the score is not even close to 2.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you look over the AGA Cut Class charts you will see the 1A and 1B categories of "Ideal". Even 1B is inside the AGS 0 parameters and eliminates the worst cut of the AGS 0 stones. Even the worst of the AGS0 stones are not dogs, but the best ones do look a lot nicer.

Diamonds within the 1A cut are all excellent in appearance with no compromises. 1A is a tight category and difficult to find stones cut like that. It was not a commercial exercise when I made up these charts. If a commercial effort was made, the 1A would have been as wide as the current 1B and the old 1B would have been opened up as wide as the existing 2A. It might have been more widely accepted, but less honest in its approach to cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David, I think it would be great to put a link to that AGS chart you mentioned on this thread. I am not sure where it is. Would you please post it? Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 12:50:07 PM
Author: dragongem
Question on the HCA, anything under 1 needs to be checked out then? Based on the cut advisor for this diamond it is .5 Does that mean it I should get it checked out?

thks!

yep
it should be pre-screened but ask Tim or Jon to check it for any problems with the shallow pavilion.

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 4:50:50 PM
Author: strmrdr

thks!

yep
it should be pre-screened but ask Tim or Jon to check it for any problems with the shallow pavilion.
What would a shallow pavilion imply?
40.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just out of curiosity, I just ran 6 or 8 diamonds from 2 vendors through the HCA and none had all Ex''s. And that included a couple of ACA''s. So I am now understanding that even ACA does not mean all excellents.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 7:19:37 PM
Date: 5/12/2006 4:50:50 PM

Author: strmrdr

thks!

yep

What would a shallow pavilion imply?
40.gif

darkness when viewed up close.
Its actualy better for a pendant or earrings but can in some cases be a problem in rings.
The problem is that the numbers cant tell you for sure if there is a problem or not. The numbers can just tell you to have it checked.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 8:38:40 PM
Author: Carlotta
You could ask them to compare it to this one (slightly bigger/slightly different pavillion angle):

www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1936
check out the Gemex report on this one!! Has 1.2 on HCA...........
It''s a VS2, but check out the clarity plot
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2006 8:39:09 PM
Wow by this rate I will never find my perfect cut cut stone. *sigh*
8.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1567 1.5 on the HCA

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/705 .8 on the HCA

So is choice 1 better than choice 2 then? and is higher white light return better than higher scintillation?
Total thread jack...

the F VS1 has already been checked for this darkness that strmrdr is talking about. and at a pav. angle of 40.6 it''s not that shallow. call gog and ask them to talk to you about each one.

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 8:47:11 PM

Date: 5/12/2006 8:38:40 PM
You could ask them to compare it to this one (slightly bigger/slightly different pavillion angle):

www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1936
check out the Gemex report on this one!! Has 1.2 on HCA...........
It''s a VS2, but check out the clarity plot
2.gif
I''ve been advised not to go below a VS1 but this diamond does look beautiful. Should I''d be concerned about the thin girdle?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no.

edit: that is, thin girdle is fine. and unless you have a "mind-clean" thing about VS1 clarity, oftentimes you will never be able to see things in a VS2.

dragongem

Rough_Rock
So given this new option which would you choose? 705 or 1936?
It is so hard to decide based on #s....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you''ll ever notice that pinpoint...

The VS2 looks scrumptious!

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie, OMG I sure hope my diamond search can come to an end finally....

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Call GOG and ask them to compare them re: clarity and overall look......or they might suggest another option!!

Good luck!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 2:03:55 AM
Call GOG and ask them to compare them re: clarity and overall look......or they might suggest another option!!

Good luck!!!

Yep thats your best bet.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone does look beautiful, but I agree with having Jonathan looking at both. The VS1 or 2 issue I think is a mind-clean issue. I am wrestling with the same thing. I am looking at an H VS2 right now, and the inclusions are near the edge and very insignificant under 10x magnification. I am really okay with that, but would I rather have a VS1? I think the answer for me is, yes. But would anyone in the world besides me ever know the difference? No. These hearts and arrows stones are the most beautiful dimaonds I have ever seen.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS2006 are you going to post pictures for us of your Dimend Scaasi ring? You know the numbers are really just fine on that stone and as you've already noted very few diamonds get all excellents on the HCA. My Hearts on Fire center stone rated a 1.5 and got all excellents except for a very good on spread. I'm not sure that a diamond with all excellents would look any prettier anyway. However when all is said and done you need to find a diamond you are thrilled with and they can have different personalities.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial, after entering several WF ACA's and some GOG's into the HCA, I found none that got all excellents. So I am completely over the need to find that! If a stone is good enough for the ACA label, it is probably more than good enough for me. And, this stone from Dimend Scassi had as good a score as any of theirs. I realize it is an excellent stone in a very desirable size. I really can't imagine a stone being much more beautiful. However....I am used to an F, and I am just not sure I'd be happy in the long run with an H. I think a G might be the answer to whiter color but at a better price than for F (I know you have F, you lucky girl!). I think I am going to aim for a G VS1 at 1.33 to 1.4, with a diameter of close to 7.1 or better. I realize that may mean I have to wait to find the right stone (nobody seems to have one at the moment), but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Now that I have seen the beauty of a well cut H&A stone, that's what I want. But I need the color and clarity to be perfect for me, too, as I do not plan to ever upgrade it!

(Let me add that I am not making a final decision on returning this one before I go to Tiffany's next Saturday so I can compare the size and color with other nice quality diamonds.)

Forgot to add, I'll try to get pictures when my husband gets home from work. We have a wedding at 3:00. If not today, then I'll try tomorrow.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I understand completely and you will want to take your time and find just the right diamond! I would still love to see pictures of your ring when you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results