shape
carat
color
clarity

The day after, reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:36:28 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
For the record, I don''t think most of us are afraid of what he *might* do--because, yes, that has yet to be seen. Most of us are afraid of what he promised to do, which is why 60 million people didn''t vote for him.
BRAVO!!! That''s exactly what i wanted to say.

I am a Republican and a staunch supporter of their economic doctrine: I don''t support universal helathcare. I applaud Pres. Bush for vetoing the expansion of children''s healthcare program. I am opposed to social services being funded by taxpayers and believe they should be funded voluntarily by the private sector. These are all things that Obama plans on introducing or increasing.

I am not fearful that he can''t do the job, I just don''t agree with the plans he has. Not everyone is going to see Obama''s victory as a step in the right direction because not everyone believes in what the democratic party represents. It''s not a personal attack on him.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:48:03 PM

Date: 11/6/2008 3:39:43 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/6/2008 3:36:28 PM
Most of us are afraid of what he promised to do, which is why 60 million people didn't vote for him.
I understand your point. But more people voted for Obama than have ever voted for any other Presidential candidate in the history of the nation. Those people want what he's selling. And hope he can deliver. That says something too.
It says something, all right
3.gif
I agree with what is being said by some analysts: it is a vote in opposition of Bush, and not a vote in favor of Obama. That's why there were a handful of Republican's who voted for Obama. (obviously not the case for everyone though!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:08:46 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
I agree with what is being said by some analysts: it is a vote in opposition of Bush, and not a vote in favor of Obama. That''s why there were a handful of Republican''s who voted for Obama. (obviously not the case for everyone though!)
I think its the OPPOSITE actually. Its the first time in a long time that I''ve voted FOR someone and not AGAINST someone else. Heard quite a lot of MY sentiment when the cameras are pointed at VOTERS & not pundits. And *handful*? There''s more than a *handful* of Obama-voting Republicans on a single thread here at Pricescope. Nationwide ... millions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:23:26 PM

I think its the OPPOSITE actually. Its the first time in a long time that I''ve voted FOR someone and not AGAINST someone else. Heard quite a lot of MY sentiment when the cameras are pointed at VOTERS & not pundits. And *handful*? There''s more than a *handful* of Obama-voting Republicans on a single thread here at Pricescope. Nationwide ... millions.

Ditto this, and well, just about everything else you''ve said on this thread.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:35:20 PM
Author: littlelysser

SO was at McDonald''s yesterday, and an older white guy came up to him talking about how historic and exciting everything is. He said he was glad the election was over so that he could be himself, and they he hated pretending that he was a Republican for many months because it was expected of him. He was so happy that Obama won. I thought it was an interesting anecdote.
28.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Ksinger!
This is for your husband, I just found out at our teachers'' union meeting that the middle school in my district had to have a meeting yesterday before school to discuss how to support the minority of students who had been McCain supporters and were now going to not only be feeling sad, but possibly taunted by peers. Teachers brainstormed ideas on how to acknowledge these kids'' sense of loss and how to discuss how all of America had won the election because the people chose our next president. Very cute. They had no misadventures reported despite the dozens of homemade Obama shirts and hundreds of Obama button wearing kids.

At the high school I heard that two of my colleagues went into a Math teacher''s room and were looking under the desks, in corners, till he stopped teaching and asked what they were doing, "looking for the Republican party" they replied to the only Republican teacher in the school. He laughed and acknowledged that it might be hanging out in the faculty fridge. A frightening spot in any school.

Hope that makes your DH laugh!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:02:33 PM
Author: oshinbreez
I''d also read something about Obama getting the ''white guilt'' vote. I agree that blacks were treated horribly. Growing up in the north in the 60''s, and remembering when bussing started, I saw how the black kids didn''t want anything to do with the white kids, even after trying to get to know them. I saw the hatred they had for whites. I saw the disrespect they had for the teachers and principal. I don''t know if they were like that at their black school,or not.

Just last year when I worked for the Juvenile Justice system, I still saw the disrespect the black kids had for the white workers which I rarely saw of the white kids towards the black workers. The ''racial victim'' mentality is still alive 40 years later.

I read this post and simply shook my head. I was going to let it go, but I couldn''t.

These broad and offensive generalizations are mind blowing to me.

It saddens me to see that sort of "mentality" alive and well in 2008.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:01:58 PM

I''d also read something about Obama getting the ''white guilt'' vote. I agree that blacks were treated horribly. Growing up in the north in the 60''s, and remembering when bussing started, I saw how the black kids didn''t want anything to do with the white kids, even after trying to get to know them. I saw the hatred they had for whites. I saw the disrespect they had for the teachers and principal. I don''t know if they were like that at their black school,or not.

Just last year when I worked for the Juvenile Justice system, I still saw the disrespect the black kids had for the white workers which I rarely saw of the white kids towards the black workers. The ''racial victim'' mentality is still alive 40 years later.

I read this post and simply shook my head. I was going to let it go, but I couldn''t.

It saddens me to see that sort of ''mentality'' alive and well in 2008.
I wonder just where "up North" these supposed black kids hating whites were
20.gif

I too went to school in the 60''s. My grade school and middle school were solidly white. Suddenly I was going to go to high school where it was about 35% black. I was scared to death, never having had a black friend. I heard all sorts of "rumors" too. Funny how when I got there we were all just students. Too busy to hate on anyone. Sure we still tended to hang in our own cliques but there were no fights or weirdness going on. In fact mid year another white girl from a rival high school decided that since I was dating her ex BF she was going to jump me after school and beat me to a pulp. Rumors flew all day. I finally freaked out and broke down in tears in the locker room of gym class. It was the black girls who came to me and pulled me together. They walked this little white girl to her bus that day and made sure nothing happened to me. These were the same girls I barely spoke to because I belonged to the "in" group. Boy were my eyes opened. Over the next 3 years I learned to make friends of all races. We''re people, not colors. It might be a good thing to remember that
21.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guys, we should probably stay away from "racial postings", don't want to get the thread shut down (again).
1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:21:30 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Date: 11/6/2008 5:01:58 PM

It saddens me to see that sort of ''mentality'' alive and well in 2008.
I wonder just where ''up North'' these supposed black kids hating whites were
20.gif

I too went to school in the 60''s. My grade school and middle school were solidly white. Suddenly I was going to go to high school where it was about 35% black. I was scared to death, never having had a black friend. I heard all sorts of ''rumors'' too. Funny how when I got there we were all just students. Too busy to hate on anyone. Sure we still tended to hang in our own cliques but there were no fights or weirdness going on. In fact mid year another white girl from a rival high school decided that since I was dating her ex BF she was going to jump me after school and beat me to a pulp. Rumors flew all day. I finally freaked out and broke down in tears in the locker room of gym class. It was the black girls who came to me and pulled me together. They walked this little white girl to her bus that day and made sure nothing happened to me. These were the same girls I barely spoke to because I belonged to the ''in'' group. Boy were my eyes opened. Over the next 3 years I learned to make friends of all races. We''re people, not colors. It might be a good thing to remember that
21.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:26:08 PM
Author: Ellen
Guys, we should probably stay away from ''racial postings'', don''t want to get the thread shut down (again).
1.gif

and agreed

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Guys, we should probably stay away from ''racial postings'', don''t want to get the thread shut down (again).
1.gif
Sorry, you''re correct. It''s so hard not to refute some of the antiquated stuff
7.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:40:37 PM

1.gif
Sorry, you''re correct. It''s so hard not to refute some of the antiquated stuff
7.gif

I''m sorry as well, I tried to walk away and not say something, but I couldn''t.

I''ll refrain in the future!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!
2.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:40:37 PM

1.gif
7.gif
Indeed which is why I think that inflammatory garbage should be deleted. I find it offensive that when some of us discuss race in a rational way it needs to be quieted, but posts such as oshins gets to stand. I''ve found nearly every one of her/his posts offensive.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its going to be a rough time ahead but it was going to be no matter who was elected.
If Obama leaves my guns alone I'm willing to see what he does.

Franky Nancy Pelosi is much more scary than Obama.
Obama seems to have a much better gripe on reality than she does and more so than many of the leaders of the democratic party.

Time will tell....
Frankly I'm sick of what the republican RINO party has become and if McCain was the best they could come up with they deserved to lose.
He had less than a 40% approval rating in his own party it is no wonder he lost.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:35:20 PM

Ditto this, and well, just about everything else you''ve said, ever.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m thrilled!! I''ve been an Obama supporter all along and I can''t wait to see what he''s going to do as president. :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 6:41:32 PM
Author: strmrdr
Its going to be a rough time ahead but it was going to be no matter who was elected.
I like what you said Karl and I completely agree w/the highlighted statement.

I was walking around yesterday not sure if I still believed it or not; I know that sounds silly but that is how I was feeling.
5.gif

I pray we become more unified as a nation and I hope good things happen in the next 4 yrs. I have faith they will.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 7:51:49 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 11/6/2008 6:41:32 PM

I like what you said Karl and I completely agree w/the highlighted statement.

I was walking around yesterday not sure if I still believed it or not; I know that sounds silly but that is how I was feeling.
5.gif

I pray we become more unified as a nation and I hope good things happen in the next 4 yrs. I have faith they will.
time will tell.
good times or bad times I love my country.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2008 4:51:34 PM
Author: swimmer
Ksinger!
This is for your husband, I just found out at our teachers'' union meeting that the middle school in my district had to have a meeting yesterday before school to discuss how to support the minority of students who had been McCain supporters and were now going to not only be feeling sad, but possibly taunted by peers. Teachers brainstormed ideas on how to acknowledge these kids'' sense of loss and how to discuss how all of America had won the election because the people chose our next president. Very cute. They had no misadventures reported despite the dozens of homemade Obama shirts and hundreds of Obama button wearing kids.

At the high school I heard that two of my colleagues went into a Math teacher''s room and were looking under the desks, in corners, till he stopped teaching and asked what they were doing, ''looking for the Republican party'' they replied to the only Republican teacher in the school. He laughed and acknowledged that it might be hanging out in the faculty fridge. A frightening spot in any school.

Hope that makes your DH laugh!
He guffawed and said, Yeah, she''s defiintely a teacher if she knows about "the fridge". At his school they call it "the science department support lab"...
3.gif

Thanks for the good laugh Swimmer!
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The divisiveness of it all bothers me. People were beaten and taunted and attacked and treated altogether in a repulsive way for their beliefs, in a FREE country. People were scared to speak their mind, and many were unable to have a rational conversation, or agree to disagree. It did make me a little sick and sad.

I am me, I have Republican and Democratic leanings but am not defined by any label. I certainly wish Obama a nice transition into office and pray he is more center than he has appeared at times. I do not think Bush Two was a good President. I wish McCain was not the best the party had to give, though I do not think he is the worst thing in the world, but boy he shot himself in the foot with Sarah.

We need to heal and unite as a nation. Have pride again in our country and gain respect back globally. If Obama can do it, GREAT. While I have my doubts, I still have my hopes too. But he is not God, he is a man, and there will be things that do not get done, promised or not. There is A LOT to do after the last 8 years. He has to roll up sleeves and get to it, hopefully surrounded by great and fairminded people. I would be lying if I did not admit this whole election process wore on me, but it is our system, and warts and all, it works. Obama was elected. Let''s move forward now, and hope that things go smoothly.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess this would fall under the heading of "reflections"....
This is an article from The Wallstreet Journal.

The Perils of ''Populist Chic''
What the rise of Sarah Palin and populism means for the conservative intellectual tradition.

excerpt:

Finita la commedia. Many things ended on Tuesday evening when Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States, and depending on how you voted you are either celebrating or mourning this weekend. But no matter what our political affiliations, we should all -- Republicans and Democrats alike -- be toasting the return of Governor Sarah Palin to Juneau, Alaska.

The Palin farce is already the stuff of legend. For a generation at least it is sure to keep presidential historians and late-night comedians in gainful employment, which is no small thing. But it would be a pity if laughter drowned out serious reflection about this bizarre episode. As Jane Mayer reported recently in the New Yorker ("The Insiders," Oct. 27, 2008), John McCain''s choice was not a fluke, or a senior moment, or an act of desperation. It was the result of a long campaign by influential conservative intellectuals to find a young, populist leader to whom they might hitch their wagons in the future.

And not just any intellectuals. It was the editors of National Review and the Weekly Standard, magazines that present themselves as heirs to the sophisticated conservatism of William F. Buckley and the bookish seriousness of the New York neoconservatives. After the campaign for Sarah Palin, those intellectual traditions may now be pronounced officially dead.
So what happened? How, 30 years later, could younger conservative intellectuals promote a candidate like Sarah Palin, whose ignorance, provinciality and populist demagoguery represent everything older conservative thinkers once stood against? It''s a sad tale that began in the ''80s,...

The die was cast. Over the next 25 years there grew up a new generation of conservative writers who cultivated none of their elders'' intellectual virtues -- indeed, who saw themselves as counter-intellectuals. Most are well-educated and many have attended Ivy League universities; in fact, one of the masterminds of the Palin nomination was once a Harvard professor. But their function within the conservative movement is no longer to educate and ennoble a populist political tendency, it is to defend that tendency against the supposedly monolithic and uniformly hostile educated classes. They mock the advice of Nobel Prize-winning economists and praise the financial acumen of plumbers and builders. They ridicule ambassadors and diplomats while promoting jingoistic journalists who have never lived abroad and speak no foreign languages. And with the rise of shock radio and television, they have found a large, popular audience that eagerly absorbs their contempt for intellectual elites. They hoped to shape that audience, but the truth is that their audience has now shaped them.

rest of article at link above.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
intellectual elites ah that says it all....
You know a lot of the supposed intellectual elites I have met are idiots.
They are suckers for junk science that does not pass the stink test.
They are responsible for the wall street mess that any redneck 1 pump gas station owner knew was a recipe for disaster.
They may be book smart but they have no common sense.
The biggest reason they are held in contempt is that they produce nothing of value.

ah well let them feel all uppity they will be calling me begging me to fix their computer because the innertubeweb thingie don't work right very soon.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2008 3:12:15 AM
They are responsible for the wall street mess that any redneck 1 pump gas station owner knew was a recipe for disaster.
The biggest reason they are held in contempt is that they produce nothing of value.

ah well let them feel all uppity they will be calling me begging me to fix their computer because the innertubeweb thingie don''t work right very soon.
Wow. Wouldn''t even know where to begin with THAT one.
23.gif
20.gif
32.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 6:34:45 AM
Author: ksinger

ah well let them feel all uppity they will be calling me begging me to fix their computer because the innertubeweb thingie don't work right very soon.
Wow. Wouldn't even know where to begin with THAT one.
23.gif
20.gif
32.gif

top left

9.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2008 7:47:41 AM

Date: 11/8/2008 6:34:45 AM
Author: ksinger

ah well let them feel all uppity they will be calling me begging me to fix their computer because the innertubeweb thingie don''t work right very soon.
Wow. Wouldn''t even know where to begin with THAT one.
23.gif
20.gif
32.gif

top left

9.gif
Well it certainly isn''t because I don''t have any opinion. I''ll only say that I do indeed hope that the Republican party adheres to it''s strategy of pandering to the doctrinaire anti-intellectual anti-education religiously extreme right-wing of their party. It worked so well for them this time ....with the doctrinaire anti-intellectual anti-education religiously extreme right-wing of their party. Didn''t play so well with the moderates and independents though. Clearly the Republicans don''t NEED any educated or intellectual members, since as you say, the rednecks at the filling stations could solve all the country''s problems.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results