shape
carat
color
clarity

The day after, reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reflections:

1. I was impressed with John McCain's speech. It was a very memorable moment for me when he called Obama "my President" and I felt that truly he was sincere.

2. Obama was wonderful. I think the subdued nature of his speech was just right. We are in the middle of two wars, a recession, and our nation has some huge wounds to heal after this very long and ugly election. He was Presidential to me, in a way I haven't seen in years. It was a such a relief. And his speech, reminding us of all the dark times we've faced and overcome filled me with great hope.

3. The word "mandate" has been thrown around and I agree. I am so happy that the win was so overwelming. That it was called the MINUTE the west coast polls closed.

4. I'm so proud of Ohio, Florida and Virginia to name just a few states. They've given me so much hope for united America under Obama.

5. I can't believe Stevens was re-elected.

6. I am so very happy that McCain's campaign denied Palin's request to speak at the concession speech.

7. I am so scared someone will try to cut him down before he can fullfill the promises he has made. I pray to God that he is kept safe, secure and alive. For some reason last night I had nightmares of the Kennedy assisination and I work up crying in the middle of the night. Please god, let this country unite, to stand behind this man we've elected. And please, let every person in this country do their best to keep him safe, and to safeguard the hope that he has brought into the hearts of so many.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
The one thing that bothers me is how the media and the public keep talking about how "American" it was to vote for Obama and see him win. They make it sound like voting for McCain is somehow unamerican.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I went to bed early last night - so I haven''t yet seen the speeches. However, today kind of feels like Christmas - or even more specifically - like the end of A Christmas Carol, when Tiny Tim says, "God bless us, everyone", and then the whole village sings together in unison.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:06:57 PM
Author: Diamond Confused
The one thing that bothers me is how the media and the public keep talking about how ''American'' it was to vote for Obama and see him win. They make it sound like voting for McCain is somehow unamerican.
I am honestly sorry if that message is being conveyed. I certainly can''t speak for every Obama voter, but I do not believe that it is un-American in any way to vote for McCain.

I believe that one of the reasons that America is so great is that Obama could get elected here, when it wasn''t all that long ago that he wouldn''t have even been able to drink at the same water fountain as me. I do not know what specific media statements you are referencing, but I assume that they have something to do with that concept. It''s an American ideal that all men are created equal, and to elect a black man for president for the first time ties in distinctly to that ideology.

But at the same time, it''s insulting, demeaning, and frankly, inaccurate, to insinuate that people who vote for McCain do so for "lesser" reasons than those of us who chose to vote for Obama. I really hope that if this message is being put out there, we can put an end to it.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 1:26:37 PM
Author: MaggieB
Gosh, what to say. I could write pages so I will try not to. I''m proud of what this election says about America. I looked up some stuff on Jackie Robinson this morning after talking to my dad (see Democrat thread) and I came across this (condensed) quote from his essay, Free Minds and Hearts at Work:

''Whatever obstacles I found made me fight all the harder. But it would have been impossible for me to fight at all, except that I was sustained by the personal and deep-rooted belief that my fight had a chance. It had a chance because it took place in a free society. . . Free minds and human hearts were at work all around me; and so there was the probability of improvement . . . I believe in the human race. I believe in the warm heart. I believe in man''s integrity. I believe in the goodness of a free society. And I believe that the society can remain good only as long as we are willing to fight for it- and to fight against whatever imperfections may exist.''

America is a great country. I hope it proves to be the greatest country that ever existed, by leading the world in what it means to be a global citizen instead of a global aggressor. As so charmingly pointed out by others on this site, we have elected a black man named Barack HUSSEIN Obama. To me, that means that the majority of us want to move past prejudice, hatred, judgment, and misguided fear and assert that all men are created equal.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:23:17 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 2:06:57 PM
The one thing that bothers me is how the media and the public keep talking about how ''American'' it was to vote for Obama and see him win. They make it sound like voting for McCain is somehow unamerican.
I am honestly sorry if that message is being conveyed. I certainly can''t speak for every Obama voter, but I do not believe that it is un-American in any way to vote for McCain.

I believe that one of the reasons that America is so great is that Obama could get elected here, when it wasn''t all that long ago that he wouldn''t have even been able to drink at the same water fountain as me. I do not know what specific media statements you are referencing, but I assume that they have something to do with that concept. It''s an American ideal that all men are created equal, and to elect a black man for president for the first time ties in distinctly to that ideology.

But at the same time, it''s insulting, demeaning, and frankly, inaccurate, to insinuate that people who vote for McCain do so for ''lesser'' reasons than those of us who chose to vote for Obama. I really hope that if this message is being put out there, we can put an end to it.
Ditto. The many, many people who voted for McCain voted for the person they felt would run the country best. They believed with all their heart that he would be the best man for the job, and there is nothing MORE American than backing the candidate you feel is best for the country.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 1:39:16 PM
Author: Gypsy
Reflections:

1. I was impressed with John McCain's speech. It was a very memorable moment for me when he called Obama 'my President' and I felt that truly he was sincere.

2. Obama was wonderful. I think the subdued nature of his speech was just right. We are in the middle of two wars, a recession, and our nation has some huge wounds to heal after this very long and ugly election. He was Presidential to me, in a way I haven't seen in years. It was a such a relief. And his speech, reminding us of all the dark times we've faced and overcome filled me with great hope.

3. The word 'mandate' has been thrown around and I agree. I am so happy that the win was so overwelming. That it was called the MINUTE the west coast polls closed.

4. I'm so proud of Ohio, Florida and Virginia to name just a few states. They've given me so much hope for united America under Obama.

6. I am so very happy that McCain's campaign denied Palin's request to speak at the concession speech.

7. I am so scared someone will try to cut him down before he can fullfill the promises he has made. I pray to God that he is kept safe, secure and alive. For some reason last night I had nightmares of the Kennedy assisination and I work up crying in the middle of the night. Please god, let this country unite, to stand behind this man we've elected. And please, let every person in this country do their best to keep him safe, and to safeguard the hope that he has brought into the hearts of so many.
Oh, I didn't hear that. Interesting.

And gypsy, I am so worried about his safety too. While his election obviously proves the majority of this nation has come a long way, there are still those who would love to kill him. We ALL need to pray for his safety.

And I also want to say how proud I am of how the entire country handled this, on both sides. As far as I know, no rioting, no nothing. And that's a good thing.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:47:38 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 11/5/2008 1:39:16 PM

Author: Gypsy

Reflections:

1. I was impressed with John McCain''s speech. It was a very memorable moment for me when he called Obama ''my President'' and I felt that truly he was sincere.

2. Obama was wonderful. I think the subdued nature of his speech was just right. We are in the middle of two wars, a recession, and our nation has some huge wounds to heal after this very long and ugly election. He was Presidential to me, in a way I haven''t seen in years. It was a such a relief. And his speech, reminding us of all the dark times we''ve faced and overcome filled me with great hope.

3. The word ''mandate'' has been thrown around and I agree. I am so happy that the win was so overwelming. That it was called the MINUTE the west coast polls closed.

4. I''m so proud of Ohio, Florida and Virginia to name just a few states. They''ve given me so much hope for united America under Obama.

5. I can''t believe Stevens was re-elected.

6. I am so very happy that McCain''s campaign denied Palin''s request to speak at the concession speech.

7. I am so scared someone will try to cut him down before he can fullfill the promises he has made. I pray to God that he is kept safe, secure and alive. For some reason last night I had nightmares of the Kennedy assisination and I work up crying in the middle of the night. Please god, let this country unite, to stand behind this man we''ve elected. And please, let every person in this country do their best to keep him safe, and to safeguard the hope that he has brought into the hearts of so many.
Oh, I didn''t hear that. Interesting.

And gypsy, I am so worried about his safety too. While his election obviously proves the majority of this nation has come a long way, there are still those who would love to kill him. We ALL need to pray for his safety.

And I also want to say how proud I am of how the entire country handled this, on both sides. As far as I know, no rioting, no nothing. And that''s a good thing.

People were too happy here to riot! Oh and go to the sarah palin thread to read a bit about her request being denied.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God''s children.

Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring—when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God''s children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics—will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: ''Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!''"

Oh how I wish he would have lived to see this day.

mlking.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:58:23 PM
Author: Matata
''I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God''s children.

Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring—when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God''s children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics—will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: ''Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!''''

Hubby and I just talked about this, this morning. How proud he would have been!!!!!!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:52:02 PM
Author: MoonWater

People were too happy here to riot! Oh and go to the sarah palin thread to read a bit about her request being denied.
Thanks moon, just read it.

I wish MLK was here too Matata.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Condi weighs in. Bottom line: she''s proud of America. She never endorsed McCain -OR- Obama, but insisted that she''s "a Republican". But I dare you to read her words & not come away thinking that she''s happy for Obama''s victory.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 2:58:23 PM
Author: Matata
''I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring—when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God''s children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics—will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: ''Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!''''

7.gif
I just don''t understand how anyone could kill him.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I was almost brought to tears about half a dozen times today when reading up on all the stories and speeches and reactions around the world. I am in England and was inundated with congratulations all day from my coworkers. Like LAJennifer said, it really does feel a bit like Christmas.

President G.W. Bush feels even harsher on the ears after hearing President-Elect Obama''s speech, though. Amusingly, the English news channel I''m watching now disagreed by preceding a clip of his comments about Obama''s win with, "And even President Bush seems more articulate today."
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m just content. I was up until 3am, and I feel like I''ve been run over a truck because of that and because I hold all of my stress in my shoulders and they are SORE today. But emotionally, I''m so happy.

And I''m thrilled that it''s over. But I''m scared for Obama and his family.

And I''m glad I can go back to thinking about my schoolwork instead of this election.

And I''m thrilled that Palin didn''t get to speak. Although I saw her interview with Dana Bash afterwards and she was very eloquent. I was almost impressed.
3.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I really truly do hope he can make this country better.....

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 3:13:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m just content. I was up until 3am, and I feel like I''ve been run over a truck because of that and because I hold all of my stress in my shoulders and they are SORE today. But emotionally, I''m so happy.

And I''m thrilled that it''s over. But I''m scared for Obama and his family.

And I''m glad I can go back to thinking about my schoolwork instead of this election.

And I''m thrilled that Palin didn''t get to speak. Although I saw her interview with Dana Bash afterwards and she was very eloquent. I was almost impressed.
3.gif

ohhh big fat ditto.

i''ve been FAR too distracted from school because of this election!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
- I was amazed on how emotional so many people became when Obama was anounced president elect, the look on people''s faces at all the rallies and the people coming out and celebrating on the streets of the White House and many major cities over an election result is something I have never seen.

- Even after all the excitment, there still seems to be a positive vibe in the air

- The reaction around the world was stunning

- McCain''s speech was very graceful and well done, but I was not thrilled with his supporters

- In a devided nation, Obama had such a large lead in the electoral votes

- Obama''s speech was very somber, but very inspiring. The two families together at the end made my eyes tear up.

These are a few of the things going through my head today.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I just want to say how happy I am that the DECISION AS BEEN MADE BY AMERICANS.

The seemingly unavoidable nasty fights between campaign/supporters can finally end, both in this country and on pricescope.
It is now the responsibility of ALL OF US to work TOGETHER to make this country a better place!
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
This brought tears to my eyes.

I hope that Obama can be the change that this family needs. The love of this father is so real and palpable. So touching. Truly truly touching.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today there was a feeling of hope - for our country, for our future, for all of us. We have been missing this for so long and it felt SO good to have the prospect of a brighter future before us. . .

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2008 10:44:31 AM
Author: Deelight

I will however miss greatest moments in presidential history on Letterman I don't think Obama will as amusing as bush was.

True, but... And thank goodness for that!
25.gif

And from Gypsy:

1. I was impressed with John McCain's speech. It was a very memorable moment for me when he called Obama "my President" and I felt that truly he was sincere.

3. The word "mandate" has been thrown around and I agree. I am so happy that the win was so overwelming. That it was called the MINUTE the west coast polls closed.

Ditto to all.

I was hugely moved by McCain's speech. I was blinking back tears because it seemed so heart-felt, and was so supportive, and because it did redeem him to some extent. It was an incredible concession speech, and I hope history gives it equal time with the stumbles in his campaign. There are many aspects of McCain's politics that I don't agree with, but I still had a lot of respect for him overall... pretty much until he named his running mate, and we got to know more about her. As much as I applaud the outcome of this election, I hated watching someone who has done so much to earn our respect (and I'm not talking just about his time as a POW) sink so low. For me, his concession speech restored some of that respect.

I felt like Obama deliberately pulled in some of the punches in his speech, but others have identified some possible reasons for that. I think he has the makings of a great, epic president and I'd love to see that. But, give the state of our economy, two wars, and major issues such as health care to be dealt with, I'll be satisfied if he "just" gets us back on solid footing... in his first term, that is.
2.gif

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Mimzy.
Being multi-racial woman living in Alaska, you have no idea how proud I am to see an African-American become President. But last night I went to bed in tears, because I read some sites that I know friends of mine visit and they''re afraid of Obama. I read some racists things and it was all just so overwhelming. Even though something as amazing as this could happen, people still find ways to use stereo types and lies. I''m fearful that no matter what Obama does good or bad, right or wrong people will use that against him and everybody else.

Sorry to ramble. It''s just terrible to see something that is such a joyous occasion turn into everything that it shouldn''t be.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinkstars: you have every reason to be fearful of what''s in store for Obama given the fear was being spread during the campaign. I''m not talking about attempts on his life, but more the the constant attacks and almost visceral hatred that the Clintons were subject to during much of President Clinton''s time in office. With the mess that Obama will be stepping into, there will be many opportunities for mis-steps on his part and attacks from his opponents. That''s one of the reasons I was so moved by John McCain''s concession speech. He was signalling that he did not want any part of those tactics, and that he wanted his supporters to move beyond mere open-mindedness.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 11:01:34 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Today there was a feeling of hope - for our country, for our future, for all of us. We have been missing this for so long and it felt SO good to have the prospect of a brighter future before us. . .
What people fail to point out is that the "country" doesn''t have a feeling of hope, only Obama supporters do.
48% of voters are not happy with the results. That''s a big portion of the population. It isn''t any different than any other election.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 12:18:18 AM

Date: 11/5/2008 11:01:34 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
What people fail to point out is that the 'country' doesn't have a feeling of hope, only Obama supporters do.
48% of voters are not happy with the results. That's a big portion of the population. It isn't any different than any other election.

And while I know many of the people who voted for McCain or other candidates (since you said 48% and McCain only won 46%) aren't 'hopeful' because Obama is President elect, I also know that many I've spoken to are a) happy the election is over and hopeful the nation will heal in the aftermath of the election and b) that Bush and Company will be out of office and the Republican Party will need to re-evaluate, hopefully for the better of their party. So I think that there is more hope than your interpretations of those numbers might show.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2008 12:17:42 AM
Author: VRBeauty
Pinkstars: you have every reason to be fearful of what''s in store for Obama given the fear was being spread during the campaign. I''m not talking about attempts on his life, but more the the constant attacks and almost visceral hatred that the Clintons were subject to during much of President Clinton''s time in office. With the mess that Obama will be stepping into, there will be many opportunities for mis-steps on his part and attacks from his opponents. That''s one of the reasons I was so moved by John McCain''s concession speech. He was signalling that he did not want any part of those tactics, and that he wanted his supporters to move beyond mere open-mindedness.
Football/team mentality writ large. Being RIGHT is so much more important than anything else. As one who lives in the state that was called ohh...about 90 seconds after the polls closed...Oklahoma, and that had the highest percentage of voters for McCain in the NATION, I can tell you that the sour grapes are about chest deep, along with the ill-wishes for Obama. They are absolutely frothing for him to fail, and by extenstion themselves I suppose. Makes no sense to me. All I know is I actually had to leave my office to NOT leap over partions and throttle some people. Almost all the bonhomie and goodwill I felt in the morning evaporated during the day and I just wanted to slap the crap out of some people. To give you and example, one gal in the office was trying to sound like some sort of Islamic call to prayer, and then saying,"Is everybody ready today to convert to Islam??" And I''ve been listening to that crap for weeks. Somebody just shoot me. I went in determined to NOT be some sort of sore winner, and I wasn''t. I said not a word. But it was hard, after listening to that for hours on end....

...because doing so, can lead to unproductive and hate-producing things like this...

The DH, as a highschool teacher, had to break up what was setting up to be a screaming match between a McCain supporter and the black girl who had continued to prod another girl (white) to say who she would have voted for. When the girl said McCain, the other started accusing her of being a racist and they were off.

Yeah, the day after here in the reddest of the red, was devoid of much joy, I can tell ya.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 5:43:49 AM
Author: ksinger

Date: 11/6/2008 12:17:42 AM
Author: VRBeauty
Football/team mentality writ large. Being RIGHT is so much more important than anything else. As one who lives in the state that was called ohh...about 90 seconds after the polls closed...Oklahoma, and that had the highest percentage of voters for McCain in the NATION, I can tell you that the sour grapes are about chest deep, along with the ill-wishes for Obama. They are absolutely frothing for him to fail, and by extenstion themselves I suppose. Makes no sense to me. All I know is I actually had to leave my office to NOT leap over partions and throttle some people. Almost all the bonhomie and goodwill I felt in the morning evaporated during the day and I just wanted to slap the crap out of some people. To give you and example, one gal in the office was trying to sound like some sort of Islamic call to prayer, and then saying,''Is everybody ready today to convert to Islam??'' And I''ve been listening to that crap for weeks. Somebody just shoot me. I went in determined to NOT be some sort of sore winner, and I wasn''t. I said not a word. But it was hard, after listening to that for hours on end....

...because doing so, can lead to unproductive and hate-producing things like this...

The DH, as a highschool teacher, had to break up what was setting up to be a screaming match between a McCain supporter and the black girl who had continued to prod another girl (white) to say who she would have voted for. When the girl said McCain, the other started accusing her of being a racist and they were off.

Yeah, the day after here in the reddest of the red, was devoid of much joy, I can tell ya.
I am so bummed for you. I had some rough patches yesterday but nothing like that. My 7 year old son did come home saying that John McCain likes to start wars and kill Obama. Deep deep ugh. So we talked about how one time a kid in karate accused Jack of stealing his video game, and how hurtful that lie was. Then we talked about how when someone lies, you should tell them that''s wrong. Then we watched the McCain concession speech on the internet so that Jack could see that McCain said nice things about Obama and wouidn''t try to hurt him. Jack said when he went to school today if someone told him mean lies he would tell them not to spread mean lies around.

So, I guess I just never expected the nation to hug eachother and Kumbaya in one day, and some of us, definitely never. It doesn''t really take much to make me happy. My kid is learning not to be a hater, and my vice president elect knows that Africa is a continent.

It''s going to be a good day.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2008 6:53:39 AM

I am so bummed for you. I had some rough patches yesterday but nothing like that. My 7 year old son did come home saying that John McCain likes to start wars and kill Obama. Deep deep ugh. So we talked about how one time a kid in karate accused Jack of stealing his video game, and how hurtful that lie was. Then we talked about how when someone lies, you should tell them that''s wrong. Then we watched the McCain concession speech on the internet so that Jack could see that McCain said nice things about Obama and wouidn''t try to hurt him. Jack said when he went to school today if someone told him mean lies he would tell them not to spread mean lies around.

So, I guess I just never expected the nation to hug eachother and Kumbaya in one day, and some of us, definitely never. It doesn''t really take much to make me happy. My kid is learning not to be a hater, and my vice president elect knows that Africa is a continent.

It''s going to be a good day.
Maggie, you are such a good mommy!!!
16.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 7 year old came home and said something about Obama too, which was nonsensical. Another kid at school said it to him. We told him, Obama is our President elect now. He asked, but didn't you vote for McCain? We said, yes, it was our view that he would have been good too, but more people voted for Obama so he will be President to ALL of us now. I was amazed what one 7 year old could say to another. Bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results