shape
carat
color
clarity

Texan arrested for refusing to wear mask at Bank Of America

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Imma just say it; I don't disagree with @Queenie60 because I'm sick of wearing the damn things myself.

However I do when I must. I'm in FL and the mask mandates have no teeth down here at all. And even though I'm vaccinated, I'll wear the damn thing because its the right thing to do, not because I'm in love with them.

Down here, they'll get you for tresspassing instead, which will carry a lot more weight than any so called "mandate".

Yes. It’s the “right” thing to do. The decent thing. Especially when one is fully vaccinated so one protects those more vulnerable. I can safely say most (all?) of us are tired of wearing the masks. Yet we do because it is the right thing to do. For now.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kept my kids home to keep them out of masks as much as possible, the youngest just went back to school today after being home a year and the older one has opted to finish the year at home.

I wear the mask because I don’t want any problems, wear the mask, avoid confrontation and get out of the mask ASAP.

It will be interesting once the vaccine passports come out and you have to prove vaccination to go places. I’m sure the masks won’t be good enough then.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I kept my kids home to keep them out of masks as much as possible, the youngest just went back to school today after being home a year and the older one has opted to finish the year at home.

I wear the mask because I don’t want any problems, wear the mask, avoid confrontation and get out of the mask ASAP.

It will be interesting once the vaccine passports come out and you have to prove vaccination to go places. I’m sure the masks won’t be good enough then.

Then we’ll have the antivaxxers (probably a lot of overlap there) barging in and demanding service.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes. It’s the “right” thing to do. The decent thing. Especially when one is fully vaccinated so one protects those more vulnerable. I can safely say most (all?) of us are tired of wearing the masks. Yet we do because it is the right thing to do. For now.

I just don’t understand the mentality of people who don’t wear masks. You’re right. It’s the “right” thing to do. It can save a life. It’s a mild inconvenience with a huge benefit.

It’s probably cynical of me, but when I see people like this woman in Texas, or just someone at my local store, I think they’re just awful to be around in general. Like they don’t care about other people enough to wear a mask, how does that carry over into their other relationships. Do they care about anyone beyond themselves?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then we’ll have the antivaxxers (probably a lot of overlap there) barging in and demanding service.

You would probably consider me anti vaccine, I do not plan on getting any shots including this COVID vaccine unless forced. That said I will not be barging in and demanding anything from anyone. It is interesting to me though how folks automatically assume the worst about people who even question a vaccine.

Maybe instead of making those folks the villain we consider the vaccine manufacturers would go a long way toward gaining trust if they weren’t immune from liability. Things can go wrong, look at the reports coming out about the AstraZeneca shot possibly causing blood clots. Yet if I got that shot and had a blood clot and died there is no recourse. That is the real problem.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
You would probably consider me anti vaccine, I do not plan on getting any shots including this COVID vaccine unless forced. That said I will not be barging in and demanding anything from anyone. It is interesting to me though how folks automatically assume the worst about people who even question a vaccine.

Maybe instead of making those folks the villain we consider the vaccine manufacturers would go a long way toward gaining trust if they weren’t immune from liability. Things can go wrong, look at the reports coming out about the AstraZeneca shot possibly causing blood clots. Yet if I got that shot and had a blood clot and died there is no recourse. That is the real problem.

The problem is people who are anti-vaccine and outspoken about it. The ones who either don’t understand science or decide to twist information in order to influence people. You see them all over social media making false claims.

Any medical intervention comes with a certain degree of risk. Statistically, the benefits far outweigh any negative outcomes.

Specifically speaking about the Astra Zeneca vaccine, it is being suspended in some countries due to an abundance of caution. More likely than not the blood clots are completely unrelated. To put it in perspective, 0.0006% of people who have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca have experienced blood clots in the 10 day period following the vaccine. Statistically the average person has roughly a 0.1% chance of developing a blood clot annually. Odds of developing a blood clot are better for younger people and higher for older people. Many vaccination programs are currently focused on older participants (for example the UK which is using AstraZeneca vaccine). It is likely a coincidence.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl, I get what you are saying, maybe there is no relation to the blood clots and the vaccine. I have had a previous experience with a blood clot and lost part of my vision as a result, so the even slight possibility is very concerning.

At the end of the day, I’m not trying to push my beliefs on anyone else.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@chemgirl, I get what you are saying, maybe there is no relation to the blood clots and the vaccine. I have had a previous experience with a blood clot and lost part of my vision as a result, so the even slight possibility is very concerning.

At the end of the day, I’m not trying to push my beliefs on anyone else.

I can totally understand being concerned, especially if something like that has happened to you in the past.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, Please know that many people on here know what you have been thru with your health. Your concerns are completely legitimate. You need to do what is the right thing for you and no one faults you for that. We all know there are people who medically should not be taking the vaccine (you fall into this category). That is why people who don't have issues should take the vaccine so we can get to herd immunity while protecting those who cannot take the vaccine.

A mask is the simplest way to protect others and yet we have a portion of the country who refuses to do the simplest thing to do to keep everyone safe, which is wear a mask.

I have a family member who has a double transplant and works 50 hours a week in a grocery strore. He is on many medicines to suppress his immune system to protect his transplanted organs. If he gets this virus, he won’t survive. People come into the grocery store daily refusing to wear a mask because they don’t want to wear a mask. These people are putting my family member at a great risk of death due to their selfishness. Vaccines have been extremely hard to get in our area. It is very anxiety inducing to have to work to support your family and in walks someone refusing to wear a mask because they don’t want to wear one. With 40% of people who have the virus showing no symptoms if it close to impossible to know who could spread it snd who can’t at the moment, The person working or shopping at the grocery store has no idea if you are vaccinated. These people’s actions affect other people. We all should be doing whatever we can to help keep everyone safe. There are posters here that I like, but frankly listening to them say they over wearing a mask really bothers me. This is about protecting us all. Many people have preexisting conditions that make this virus extremely dangerous. We need to do what is best to protect these people too. The entitlement of some people sickens me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is about protecting us all. Many people have preexisting conditions that make this virus extremely dangerous. We need to do what is best to protect these people too. The entitlement of some people sickens me.

I completely agree with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don’t understand the mentality of people who don’t wear masks. You’re right. It’s the “right” thing to do. It can save a life. It’s a mild inconvenience with a huge benefit.

It’s probably cynical of me, but when I see people like this woman in Texas, or just someone at my local store, I think they’re just awful to be around in general. Like they don’t care about other people enough to wear a mask, how does that carry over into their other relationships. Do they care about anyone beyond themselves?

No, people who refuse to wear masks (for no valid reason) don’t care about anyone but themselves.

@YadaYadaYada you’re not who we’re talking about at all. You care about others and you do wear masks despite the inconvenience.

IMO if one feels that wearing a mask is trampling on their freedom then one’s perception of freedom is warped. If wearing a mask is an attack on your freedom then check your privilege. :/ IMO.

Do what you want as long as you don’t hurt others. When one’s actions affect others it matters.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake believe it or not I don’t actually qualify as someone who shouldn’t get the vaccine, at least according to the current standards. I’m not worried about getting COVID because I believe I had it in early 2020 (before they it was mainstream news) plus DH and DS had it AND I was exposed in November and didn’t get sick.

I wear the mask for everyone else but as far as the shot, I will wear a mask the rest of my life in public if it meant I didn’t have to get a shot. I just think that won’t be an option, you will have to have your shot to do most daily activities.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

Off topic, but the vaccine passports worry me.

We have seen so many security breaches and if everyone is required to do a digital app with all the records stores with their data, it's just asking to be hacked. I know they say they will do blockchain, which was said to be "unhackable" but blockchain can and has been hacked into.

Just one example of it.

The idea that everyone around the globe that has a smart phone is going to upload their personal data, test results and the like into an app that can and will be hacked is a concern. I know you can fake paper cards, but they do those for malaria. What's wrong with a physical card?

Q

Queenie60

A private business can require shoes, shirt, or a mask, etc., to enter and be in their private property.

True

Q

Queenie60

Fine, go ahead and spread the virus.
Thanks a lot for increasing my odds of dying from C19.

:doh:

I wear mask in public. Doesn’t mean I like it. I do follow rules. So, no I’m not spreading the virus. And if I were Sick would not be around others

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Wow!, You must have balls of steel to post that on PS. :bigsmile:

Or, is simply unable to 'read a room'.

However...

We're ALL tired of our fabric muzzles, but...I don't give a good gd what the Governor says here in TX, I will wear one. If you're talking to me, you will wear one. And I refuse to enter any business that does not require one on every face. I have zero tolerance for stupidity. And anti-mask bs is stupidity.

Q

Queenie60

Or, is simply unable to 'read a room'.

However...

We're ALL tired of our fabric muzzles, but...I don't give a good gd what the Governor says here in TX, I will wear one. If you're talking to me, you will wear one. And I refuse to enter any business that does not require one on every face. I have zero tolerance for stupidity. And anti-mask bs is stupidity.

I can “read a room” just have an opinion. I don’t like masks for personal reasons, doesn’t mean I’m a bad person. And to be clear, I wear the stupid thing simply because it’s the socially correct thing to do.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I thought Texas removed the mask mandate (which i think is crazy) so why were they arrested?

Well, our dumb ass head of state down in Austin said it was no longer the law, but most businesses - mine included - are not allowing employees and customers an option. Thank God, common sense has prevailed...for now.

Q

Queenie60

Hi @Queenie60 I did a lot of reading about this when I saw that people were defying mandates without legal consequences. It was confusing to me as I couldn't understand the difference between state suggestions, strong suggestions, mandates, and orders. So I went down the rabbit hole of google...

Mandates are very similar to laws in that they are legally enforceable. They differ in that they come from a different avenue of government though. And just like laws, they aren't always enforced. But the point is, they could be, if the governor or whoever issued the mandate decides to. The power to issue these rules/laws/mandates/orders is already granted to the governing body, so it is all legal and above board.

I don't know why the judicial system isn't coming down on those who do not adhere to these requirements. Because it DOES create the impression that it is optional. It creates confusion. Where there should be none. It seems that the only time there are any consequences is when a private company's rules and terms of service are violated.

I find it all so odd. I hate my mask. I work in one for 10+ hours a day. But wear it dilligently. If it means restaurants can reopen and vacations can become a thing again, I am happy to triple mask if I have to. It's got me investing in more chewing gum and less lipstick!

Thank you for this information.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This made me laugh, I bought 3 new Besame lipsticks last month. I normally don't wear lipstick and double mask outside the house, but I couldn't resist the Mary Poppins collection.

I don't live stateside so had to look up Bésame. And now I want all the reds. Their little blurbs describing every color really makes you think that you NEED 9 different shades. To wear around the house!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in Texas. I've had both shots. I wear a mask. When I am out, 99% of the folks I see wear a mask even after the mask mandate was lifted. Every business I visit has a sign requiring a mask. Most businesses want to keep their employees safe and their visitors.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mask is a mandate not a law.
No, It's not a "law" because it isn't passed by the legislature, however, because it is generally an Executive Order which can be issued by the governor based upon powers granted to the state executive branch either by the state constitution or legislation passed by the legislature, they are enforceable and tantamount to a law which is why you can be fined for not obeying them (presumably based on the state you are in). I live in a state with a mask mandate and there are civil penalties for non-compliance. If it looks like a duck........

Last edited:

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I visited Eastern Texas about 6 weeks ago, before the mask mandate was lifted. I stayed at a hotel 4 nights, picked up food each night from a different place and visited 2 different gas station. Interestingly enough, in only ONE of those businesses were there people wearing masks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh:Astonishing! :nono:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CharlesD somehow you have inserted language in the quote of my post that was not in my original post.

this was added and is not mine, so I assume it is your language.

When the state government restricted our rights, the professor and I discussed at lectures on law at the university. It's amazing that he supported decisions that, in my opinion, violated the law. Having read the best civil rights movement essay https://paperap.com/free-papers/civil-rights-movement/ I prepared my report for student debates and most of the students supported me. I hope that in the future the shatat authorities will act only according to the law and will no longer be able to restrict our rights.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results