shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about Buccellati

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I came to PriceScope to learn about pearls, and my eyes were opened to the wonders of Takahashi and Andrew Moline. All well and good, the pieces I bought are classics that I love deeply and can see wearing for the rest of my life.

But.

So I had never heard of Buccellati, and now I am frighteningly interested. I do not have the budget of a Rockefeller or a Kardashian, and yet I am thrashing in my head: if I lost weight and could wear clothes now in storage, and didn't buy new clothes for a few years, could I afford a bracelet? How about if I sold some stuff? (I did inherit some of my mom's jewelry, but I promised the only easily saleable piece, a good quality diamond, to my daughter, since my mother collected them specifically to leave one to each daughter - I'm not a diamond solitaire girl, but my daughter loves diamonds). The rest is not easily saleable, as not signed or designer and secondhand jewelry is hard to sell. Sadly, the price of gold is only high when they're selling it to you, not buying it from you.

Anyway, I wanted to ask about the experiences of those who own, or have seen and handled, Buccellati. I am going to New York this fall and may nerve myself to stop in the boutique, but I am shy about going into a place if I don't intend to buy that day. Is your Buccellati as fabulous as it looks? Do you love it as much in practice as when you bought it?

Many thanks in advance --

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
I like the Buccellati's style.
Some years ago, I tried on some Buccellati's jewels; here's my opinion:
*pro: perfect details;
*cons: very very very expensive; diamonds are tipically small; eternity rings are quite wide and not very comfortable.
Not worth the price.
IMO a cheaper option could be Roberto Coin.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if I lost weight and could wear clothes now in storage, and didn't buy new clothes for a few years, could I afford a bracelet? How about if I sold some stuff?

Not with these sacrifices, imo -- apart from the not buying new clothes. Spouse recently went a year buying nothing material (except for food and cleaning/hygiene products) and thought it was a fun challenge -- I discouraged her at the end from going for a second year! (And this is why I am the jewelry buyer.)

It is ornate for my taste but certainly lovely. I see the appeal of "high jewelry." You pay such a premium being the "first owner," though. I would think a better use of the funds would be scouring a Lang or Berganza for a "pre-owned" equivalent.

On a semi-related note, I hated Bulgari as a kid (at least their ubiquitous magazine ads -- never saw any in the wild). I always thought it was gaudy and clunky -- but now I love the 70s-era colored-stone-focused pieces -- but I'm sure we will never own one.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
The reason I'm so focused on Buccellati is their enamel. I fell in love during a visit to the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna - their enamel collection is out of this world. And vintage enamel jewelry of reasonably high quality is hard to find and extremely high in price. (Anyone with a fabulous source of gorgeous enamel jewelry not stratospherically priced, please weigh in!)

I am yearning for an Opera Tulle bracelet. Of course it's expensive - far more than I've ever spent on anything for myself - but not as much as, say, one of their spectacular enamel cuffs. Decades ago, on a trip to Israel, I bought this as a souvenir, and I discovered I can't wear cuffs. It's a pity, but I at least know what I can wear, and big cuffs are not that.
IMG_0056.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
It is ornate for my taste but certainly lovely. I see the appeal of "high jewelry." You pay such a premium being the "first owner," though. I would think a better use of the funds would be scouring a Lang or Berganza for a "pre-owned" equivalent.

It seems (I have searched for pre-owned Buccellati) that the resale price is the same as the new price.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked The Real Real? I don’t prefer to be the first buyer when I want a branded piece, so I look as the hunt as part of the fun. Sign up at auction houses and create a want list. Make a Google search notification.

And I would sell some of your never-worn, not so special jewelry for funds towards this. Dover on eBay does auctions every Thursday night and has lots of bidders. Gold is high right now. The branded piece will hold its value better over time, too.

I have fallen in love and bought on layaway, too. Better than paying interest.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
While I don’t own any Buccellati, I have tried pieces on in Florence. They are exquisite IMO. I did buy a gorgeous hand made band that was very similar to the one I tried on for quite a bit less! I did buy my sister a sterling Buccelatti cuff bracelet while there if that counts

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with the Opera Tulle collection, so my opinion is useless. Sorry.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with the Opera Tulle collection, so my opinion is useless. Sorry.

Me, neither. It is pretty, for sure! Reminiscent of the VCA Alhambra to my unsophisticated eye -- not sure which came first...?

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.16.46 AM.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Buccellati’s aesthetic. Of all the high houses - theirs is probably where my personal style leans most. Just the right amount of fluff and foof, gloriously intertwined into functional art :love:

Absolutely do stop in when you’re in NYC if you’ve got time, even if it’s just to browse! They won’t mind at all - I’ve yet to meet a sales associate who doesn’t appreciate someone’s interest in their brand. In fact I’d say make an appointment to ensure you’ve got someone helping you, they can share nuggets from histories of various collections that don’t make it into the coffee table books and auction listings, and show you things that might not be out in the displays… And the Madison Ave folks are super super super nice. I had a preloved bracelet (my only piece right now, but I hope not my last!) shortened and it was a lovely experience all around. I’ve heard that the Madison location is actually one of the brand’s most profitable, even over Milan some years!

Mine is the Opera with red Jasper. The Opera Tulle design is so beautiful - and there are some enamel pieces!! ❤️ I’d love Tulle earrings. (The bangle is my grandmother’s - unbranded)

60AF82CB-AB4D-430F-A0B7-825553778A2C.png

64272883-8A74-4188-8DF3-CCE2943361AF.png

06BAA158-8EB1-4BA3-9466-46975F8219E5.png

I do prefer to buy branded pieces new whenever possible. Buying preloved always has authenticity risks and for me the savings rarely justify the risk. But sometimes you don’t have a choice - in my case the colour combo I wanted had been discontinued by the time I discovered the line. So I did the deed. I personally wouldn’t buy something preowned if I could get it new, though. Everyone’s different on that and all preferences are valid!

@LilAlex I remember there was some drama when the Opera collection was debuted :bigsmile: VCA is also just much more recognizable in the US, I think, that makes anything else that’s remotely similar look copy-ey. To me they’re different enough that I want both… :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way too late to edit - but - I just have to add, for me, Buccellati and VCA are the only two brands where if I see a piece, scrolling IG and 1st Dibs and auctions, even if I don't recognize the exact piece - 9.5/10 times I'll recognize the maker. Those houses' high jewellery pieces, especially, just have such characteristic "looks" - their brands are so strong. I'm in sales - I admire that!!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I've seen Buccellati on GSN. If my memory serves me, it is a trunk show of sorts where a(n) (Italian) buying group has designer pieces. It was usually on the weekends.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I do not own anything from Buccellati but their jewelry is breathtakingly beautiful in person. My favorites were always the larger bracelets---the gold literally looks like the 'spun gold' of fairy tales. Their jewelry really is something special.

Definitely go look if you have a chance.

empliau

Shiny_Rock

I am glad to hear your opinion! Both that their work is beautiful and to you, not worth the money. Most important to me is the judgement that it is beautiful work - worth it will be if I ever nerve myself to go in.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I do not own anything from Buccellati but their jewelry is breathtakingly beautiful in person. My favorites were always the larger bracelets---the gold literally looks like the 'spun gold' of fairy tales. Their jewelry really is something special.

Definitely go look if you have a chance.
You are perceptive - I have read, in more than one source, (on the internet so it must be true!) that Buccellati's esthetic is "no untouched gold". Everything is engraved or worked.

They really remind me of Renaissance goldsmiths' work, insofar as I remember it. I am not a historian of jewelry.

And I love the larger bracelets, especially the enamel, but I am lucky that I know I would not wear them, otherwise I would pine for them. But I cannot spend that kind of money to put it on a shelf and look at it, nor to make myself uncomfortable.

ETA: I want a bracelet because I want to be able to look at and kvell over that beautiful enamel and gold work. And my two ring fingers are permanently taken, and I can't easily see pendants and earrings (unless I look at myself in the mirror - an activity I rigorously avoid.)

Last edited:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I would sell some of your never-worn, not so special jewelry for funds towards this. Dover on eBay does auctions every Thursday night and has lots of bidders. Gold is high right now. The branded piece will hold its value better over time, too.
The difficulty is the selling. I contacted a firm that says they buy jewelry in a major city with (online) a decent reputation. I sent them the insurance appraisals for a couple diamond pieces, which were from a GIA accredited appraiser (who had worked as a diamond grader for Tiffany) and I specified that I was aware that 25% on the replacement value was a good ballpark. They assured me that they were interested and that the percentage was approximately accurate. Once I arrived, after a long drive, they offered me less than 10%. I didn't sell to them because I don't appreciate bait and switch tactics.

I do understand that signed pieces from major houses are the most desirable. But there ought to be a way to sell with more transparency.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Anyway, I wanted to ask about the experiences of those who own, or have seen and handled, Buccellati. I am going to New York this fall and may nerve myself to stop in the boutique, but I am shy about going into a place if I don't intend to buy that day. Is your Buccellati as fabulous as it looks?

I don’t own any but Buccellati has an unmistakable aesthetic that catches my eye on the Japanese preloved sites I browse. I find some of the pieces really beautiful but unfortunately still pricey even for preloved.

Like this one. So beautiful

IMG_6805.jpeg

Just step into the store with confidence. It’s ok even if you don’t buy anything. As I’m older I realized that it doesn’t matter. Not every customer that steps into the store will buy something right? Like I can go into a clothing store and try 10 items and not buy anything and I don’t feel bad. Why should it be different for a jewelry store?

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
The difficulty is the selling. I contacted a firm that says they buy jewelry in a major city with (online) a decent reputation. I sent them the insurance appraisals for a couple diamond pieces, which were from a GIA accredited appraiser (who had worked as a diamond grader for Tiffany) and I specified that I was aware that 25% on the replacement value was a good ballpark. They assured me that they were interested and that the percentage was approximately accurate. Once I arrived, after a long drive, they offered me less than 10%. I didn't sell to them because I don't appreciate bait and switch tactics.

I do understand that signed pieces from major houses are the most desirable. But there ought to be a way to sell with more transparency.
This has been a learning curve for me, too. I was forced to sell a lot in 2008, so I learned a few things. I can tell you more, if you want to know. But the TL;dr version is that consignment will yield you more money, but take longer. Cash for gold buyers are taking on the risk of owning your jewelry, so they build in a safety net which is paying very low. If you want a quicker sale, and a more competitive price, auction is the way. I have sold at auction, which is scary. Some things went too low, but others went high, so it balanced out. The Real Real is more transparent—but when I sold with them, I had no pricing input, so I learned to ask for pricing before I sent in my jewelry.

There is some pain attached to selling, at least there was for me, because I had to face the buying mistakes I had made. But I learned, and hope I am making better buying decisions now.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing to add other than I adore Bucellati’s whimsical aesthetic so I totally understand your keen interest!

I hope you find your dream piece - definitely go into the store and don’t ever feel apologetic about that!

Also @yssie what a stunning bracelet! You have all sorts of surprises in your collection!!!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
This has been a learning curve for me, too. I was forced to sell a lot in 2008, so I learned a few things. I can tell you more, if you want to know. But the TL;dr version is that consignment will yield you more money, but take longer. Cash for gold buyers are taking on the risk of owning your jewelry, so they build in a safety net which is paying very low. If you want a quicker sale, and a more competitive price, auction is the way. I have sold at auction, which is scary. Some things went too low, but others went high, so it balanced out. The Real Real is more transparent—but when I sold with them, I had no pricing input, so I learned to ask for pricing before I sent in my jewelry.

There is some pain attached to selling, at least there was for me, because I had to face the buying mistakes I had made. But I learned, and hope I am making better buying decisions now.

I really appreciate your sharing your experience - I have never sold or even tried to sell jewelry, so I was naïve. I am not ready for the auction experience, so I may look into consignment. Thanks for the suggestion!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
You absolutely must visit.

Many of the wealthiest people do not dress fancy, so don’t even worry about that.

The store wants you to love the brand- what better way than to get to know it better? If you have a positive experience and buy something five years from now, it will have been worth their time. If you have a positive experience and tell five people about it (or 500 PSers heh) - it will have been more than worth it for them.

Life is too short to have such simple regrets. Definitely go in. You can tell them you’re new to the brand and are looking to learn more. You got this.

And come back to tell us all about it! I really love Buccellati pieces.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
My introduction buccellati was when I fell in love with this ring, the engagement ring of body positivity influencer Danae Mercer. I’m not sure if it’s Buccellati but it led me to discover the brand. Either way I love the ring!

I don’t have much of a designer budget, so I covet these buccellati earrings: https://www.buccellati.com/en_us/blossoms-vermeil-earrings-jagear013034xxx000.html

They also have some candle holders and other housewares I like. Really neat, distinctive brand. 457FEB17-EEB8-4CBF-AF89-23501DF91680.jpeg

M

maru8888777

I love Buccellati. It's my impression too that second-hand is priced quite high. Please do go to the store and tell us about it!

I am also a fan of high quality enamel and have been looking for an antique, cobalt guilloché pendant forever... anyway. I wanted to point you to two other sources of enamel jewelry of very different sorts. They are likely not your thing (they are nothing like Buccellati's high jewelry, certainly), but they specialize in traditional enameling and explicitly discuss their process. One is Victor Mayer, in Germany, and the other Agaro Jewels, in Mumbai. It might just be fun to take a look.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:
Plenty of fans here!!!! When I think about the countless hours I've spent ogling their pieces, I can't breathe! I've been in one of their stores and I really felt welcome. And I've tried on Estate pieces IRL--and they are everything dreams are made of (think ruby and diamond large gold cuff).

Oakgem and Beladora have Estate items--and they sell. @AGBF started a gold thread here and Buccellati has been oft discussed. Some here have Hawaii collection/pieces.

I'll stop now, lest I give myself a heart attack.

cheers--Sharon

empliau

Shiny_Rock
HI:
Plenty of fans here!!!! When I think about the countless hours I've spent ogling their pieces, I can't breathe! I've been in one of their stores and I really felt welcome. And I've tried on Estate pieces IRL--and they are everything dreams are made of (think ruby and diamond large gold cuff).

cheers--Sharon

I know what you mean about the heart attack! I have been emboldened, encouraged, and enabled to resolve to go to the Maison in New York. I love master artisans (we have been remodeling our bathrooms, and I've been working with a master plumber who has been rebuilding our 1902 faucets, sourcing a vintage clawfoot tub, and building a nickel water source for the tub - it's expensive bringing the house back to 1902, but it's amazing to see such beautiful work renewed for another century).

A story which is not exactly about Buccellati: my family jeweler - some have a family doctor or lawyer, we had a family jeweler - would travel in Europe and bring vintage pieces back. I remember a ring he said was a Florentine wedding ring, and I think it was 17th century. This was 1976, so it might as well be the 17th century. Anyway, the ring was exquisite goldwork, but worn very thin. He was going to take a model and recast it. I swore then that if I ever married that would be my ring. But I married in Switzerland without access to my family jeweler, so I never achieved that ambition. But I remember my astonishment at the beautiful artistry.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Just for fun - my clawfoot tub with nickel faucets custom built for it, and vintage nickel and glass shelf. You can also see a bit of the period appropriate floor tile I sourced.

This is partly why I can't buy all the jewelry ;-)

70958690912__62086EAD-55B1-4D19-A468-D6204AFD9FFA.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oakgem and Beladora have Estate items--and they sell. @AGBF started a gold thread here and Buccellati has been oft discussed. Some here have Hawaii collection/pieces.

cheers--Sharon

I don’t even go to Oakgem anymore. I’m not that strong-willed, I know my limits.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO a cheaper option could be Roberto Coin.

And a similar motif, too!?!

Just (randomly) saw this IG Saks ad and I think all this quatrefoil motif is Roberto Coin.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 11.42.28 PM.png

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
And a similar motif, too!?!

Just (randomly) saw this IG Saks ad and I think all this quatrefoil motif is Roberto Coin.
Roberto Coin has some quatrefoil motiv collections: IMO very nice, but, as far I remember, the colorful pieces have semiprecious gems (lapis, malachite,...), no enamel, so not what @empliau is looking for.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
In my googling I came across the weirdest thing. What looks like an online jewelry shop but must be a scam - they've taken Buccellati's photos and claim to be selling an Opera Tulle bracelet for, say, $80. The website is karl lester shop dot com (I'm not putting in a link because I don't want anyone to click on anything shady.) There's no address or even hint at what country they're in.

Of course if a nutcase is really selling Buccellati at pennies on the dollar I've missed the bargain of the century, but somehow I don't think so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results