shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about argentium silver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I''m considering a JKT ring and I know many of you have some pieces. Are they argentium silver? Can you speak on what that is like? For example my stackers are in sterling silver and while I love them - I''m not in love with sterling. Does argentium silver have a richer appearance? I''m trying to decide if I should go with that, or splurge on white gold? Will I be happy with the quality of argentium? TIA!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Katiedid''s new ring is Argentium - maybe she''ll chime in!

I''m starting a project with her and having it done in Argentium. I''m not sure how it compares to WG, but here''s what Julia wrote to me in an Etsy convo:

Quote from Julia:

"There is a lot of info about Argentium on their website www.argentiumsilver.com.

It is still ''sterling'' as the pure silver content is 92.56-93%. It is made with germanium as the alloy instead of copper, so it does not have the same reactivity as traditional sterling. That makes it so much easier to work with because it doesn''t develop firescale during soldering and annealing, which make clean-up quicker and less of a chore. And yes, it is incredibly tarnish resistant. There is a great description of how this works on their website. The germanium molecules essentially migrate to the surface and form a protective skin that resists oxidation. This also makes the silver less reactive to chemicals like soaps, chlorine,etc.

There are great advantages to working with it as far as other processes go as well. Katie''s ring is a great example. The supports for the bezel are very delicate, and I would never have trusted regular sterling for this design. Argentium is almost as soft and malleable as fine silver when annealed, but can be heat treated at 550 degrees to harden beyond traditional sterling. So, I was able to forge those delicate pieces without the metal becoming brittle, then heat treat to harden once it was complete. The upper bezel for that ring was thick fine silver, so that stayed soft during the hardening process. The surface becomes very hard too, and scratch resistant. The metal does not become brittle though, like you would think. It remains incredibly ductile in the hardened state, so that something is way more likely to bend than break free.

I also think the silver color is just richer and brighter."

Hoofbeats, you could probably have the Argentium plated with rhodium to look more like WG if you prefer that look.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping katiedid would jump in. Several other members have JKT rings too. Julia told me all the stuff about working with it, but I''m curious as to how it looks in person.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m expecting to get my Julia Taylor Argentium silver ring soon, probably next week. I''ll let you know what it''s like.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Would it be as strong as white gold? Or strong enough?

I just lost a pretty green sapphire out of a silver setting. Darn.
29.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the Arg silver looked like silver...lol. Although I did love her diamond-satin finish, I think that gives the metal a very rich look.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 4:11:28 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I thought the Arg silver looked like silver...lol. Although I did love her diamond-satin finish, I think that gives the metal a very rich look.
Do you have pics of the diamond-satin finish? I don''t see any in her etsy shop I don''t think?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi hoofbeats! Yep, my JKT ring is argentium. Julia told me basically the same things that jstar said. It''s supposed to be extremely tarnish resistant, which I loved. I haven''t had mine long enough for it to have tarnished even if it wasn''t argentium, but so far, it looks just as shiny and white as it did the day I got it. Julia also said she did some stuff for her sister in argentium and I think she said it still looked brand new after several months!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
MTG, did you lose the pendant or just the finish?

My Julia ring arrived today (SMTR thread). It looks and feels like silver. Exquisitely crafted silver, more delicate than other silver jewelry I have (Julia says Argentium's hardness makes it safe), but still, silver. It feels lightweight if you're used to platinum, and it has the bright white color of silver, not the yellowy gray of white gold or the heavier gray of platinum. My ring has a gorgeous liquid polish--not sure how long that will last. It might last longer than ordinary silver, which is softer.

juliaI1S13.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a gorgeous ring Glitterata! Sadly I lost the pendant
7.gif
One day I''ll get another JKT piece though, once I''m over this little heartbreak.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glitterata-woohoo! I''m going to run over to SMTR and check it out!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how sad, MakingTheGrade! I hope it turns up!

Thank you, Packrat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results