shape
carat
color
clarity

Taille Française Grande, or, The Biggest French Cut

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks so huge for the ctw. i was sure it was over 2 cts. Its beautiful and i love everything about it. Im glad it didnt get away.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I adore your new ring Circle!!! What an amazing find!! :love:

Enjoy!

Cachette :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if it's the correct era but I could totally see that ring on something like Downton Abbey! It's a beautiful ring and it looks fabulous on you! :appl:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Circe! Good grief, this is AMAZING! It's so perfect, I would swear it was made for your hands specifically. And after reading your thoughts in the other thread about selling your other honker, I'm so glad you didn't end up going that way. Bravo!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just lovely my dear! AND I am so happy you did not trade your RB for this ring. Really, it is a unique and different piece, not a trade or upgrade! Anyways, love it and it looks fabulous on your hand.

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's incredible. I love it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This ring is amazing! You mentioned another rink with a 4 ct French cut...could you provide the link?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful on you!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I sent you a message via LT, I hope that is O.K so I can send you some bad looking pics before I rip mine out of its setting.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning :love: 8-) :appl: :love: 8-) :lickout: :loopy: :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
FABULOUS! More pics please!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! :appl:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the perspective shots! Your dh is a good sport. :)

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning. Such a unique and lovely ring. It looks fab on.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful, Circe! Congrats!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely stunning. I love it on your right hand. Congrats on finder her! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SparklyOEC|1388811060|3586035 said:
It's breathtaking. It really looks stunning on you. :love:

Thank you, Sparkly!

SandyCheeks said:
Brava Circe! :appl: :appl:

I love the IRL shot of your ring with the sapphire bracelet, it looks like you could definitely pull that beauty off as one of your everyday pieces of jewelry.

Thanks, Sandy - it hasn't left my hand since I got it, so I can tell you it likes costume parties and flea markets!

Elysian said:
Magnifique! I adore this ring and it looks amazing on you! Love the va-va-voom modeling pics. ;))

Hee, thanks Elysian - I may have gotten the mother of all eye-rolls from my patient spouse, but it was worth it. :twisted:

Andelain said:
Wow, I like! :love: :love:

Thank you, Andelain!

Acinom said:
Yay!!! Your gorgeous art deco ring indeed deserves her own thread :love:

I love the real life pics!!!! How elegant :love: It clearly shows that the ring is just perfect for everyday wear. And it makes such a lovely set with your sapphire bracelets.

Those Art Deco guys knew what they were doing with their rich, elegant and very wearable geometrical designs with rich details but never too much. It's great to admire your ring. Like like like!!!

Thank you, Acinom! My very favorite period, aesthetically, is that narrow window when Edwardian became Deco - I feel like, having only recently discovered the awesome possibilities of platinum and synthetic gems, there was this explosion of innovation and creativity. Comparing the designs from that period to those of the late Victorian is just night and day. (Which isn't to say I don't love that too - when it comes to bling, I am an equal-opportunity admirer.) I'm glad you like!

kalomeli said:
Wow! That's really an amazing ring! :love: :love:

Yep... I have absolutely nothing else to say because all the drooling keeps me occupied! :lol:

Heheheheheh - thanks, Kalomeli!

Rhea said:
So glad that you finally have this beauty in hand! It's such a stunning ring. And the IRL photos are the best!

Thanks, Rhea - I've always like the perspective thread: I'm glad I finally have something good to contribute!

Ashleigh said:
Wow, it's one unique ring :appl: And the coverage is fantastic :love:

Ashleigh, thank you - I DO love the sheer SIZE of it, I'll admit. I have a nailpolish called "Size Matters" - I always wonder what circumstances the creator was thinking of, like, somebody asks about your polish, you say "Size matters!" and ... what, they give you the non sequitor award? - and when next I give myself a manicure, methinks I'm going to have to go there. :tongue:

luv2sparkle said:
Wow, is all I can say! That is an awesome ring! I can clearly see why you had to have it. I am so glad it didn't get away. Missing that beauty would be something I would have a hard time getting over. It is gorgeous and so very perfect for you Circe! 'Meant to be' has never been more fitting! Style-wise, it is a perfect fit with your e-ring and lovely bracelet. It is so unique. Although I have seen other rings that have the calibrated sapphire halo, the cut of that stone really makes this one shine. Love love love it, Circe! So happy for you!

Thanks, Luv2Sparkle! I'm really, really, really glad that the dealer liked it as much as I did and hid it away before somebody else could snag it ... and I'm really glad I randomly wandered in that day ... and I'm really glad he was nice enough to hold it for me for over two months! He's a prince, is all I can say. Plug and shout-out: Stephen Herdemian is a wonderful dealer with a great selection.

Alex T said:
Oh my gosh, it is stunning!!! And it looks flipping HUGE!! Its a beautiful stone - i'd love to see more close up pics :love:

Milady, your wish is my command! As soon as I finish responding, I got some posting to do ....

Kelli said:
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. you post a new piece, my mind is just blown. If I could trade with anyone on ps…

Also, I'm super jealous of your gorgeous hair!

Kelli, thank you, on both counts! I am very, very flattered. ;))

Elliot86 said:
This is going to sound super cheesy, but when I saw the first pic, I got a lump in my throat like tears were going to happen. This ring is THAT beautiful. Not only beautiful, but rare...

Wow, THANK you - that's not cheesy, that's a lovely thing to hear! I really appreciate it. :))

artdecogirl said:
Circe, it is beautiful and the gallery is gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

Thanks, ADG! With your username (and collection), you know from Deco, and I am delighted!

Smores84 said:
Circe, it is beautiful!! <3

Thanks, Smores!!!

Niel said:
it looks so huge for the ctw. i was sure it was over 2 cts. Its beautiful and i love everything about it. Im glad it didnt get away.

Niel, thank you! Its weight remains a mystery, but I do luuuuuuuuuuurve how it faces up. :love:

Cachette said:
I adore your new ring Circle!!! What an amazing find!! :love:

Enjoy!

Cachette :))

Thanks, Cachette!

Maisie said:
I don't know if it's the correct era but I could totally see that ring on something like Downton Abbey! It's a beautiful ring and it looks fabulous on you! :appl:

I think it is - thank you! I would like to be a Dowager Duchess type, but, realistically, I'm more of a Martha Levinson. I could see her pulling that off!

manderz said:
Circe! Good grief, this is AMAZING! It's so perfect, I would swear it was made for your hands specifically. And after reading your thoughts in the other thread about selling your other honker, I'm so glad you didn't end up going that way. Bravo!

Manderz, me too! I love this one ... but I love one on each hand EVEN MORE. :rodent:

Dreamer_D said:
Just lovely my dear! AND I am so happy you did not trade your RB for this ring. Really, it is a unique and different piece, not a trade or upgrade! Anyways, love it and it looks fabulous on your hand.

Thank you, Dreamer - it was your good advice that pushed me in that direction. So, thank you twice over! :razz:

anne_h said:

Anne, that's hilarious - I posted that in my other thread as one of the TWO other similarly cut stones I could find. Great minds shop alike! (And I like the idea of it having a family get-together one of these days .... :cheeky: )

k_darling said:
It's incredible. I love it.

Thank you, K! Its acquisition was made all the sweeter by the excellent company that followed - you and Ginger were awesome company. :bigsmile:

pregcurious said:
This ring is amazing! You mentioned another rink with a 4 ct French cut...could you provide the link?

Sure, PC! I believe it belongs to RandG - I'll look it up right after I post the pics!

arkieb1 said:
It's beautiful on you!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I sent you a message via LT, I hope that is O.K so I can send you some bad looking pics before I rip mine out of its setting.

Thanks, Arkie! I just managed to write back today (as I type this, my toddler is demanding I dance - never a dull moment in la casa Circe), and I'm very much looking forward to seeing your pics!

Confection10 said:
Absolutely stunning :love: 8-) :appl: :love: 8-) :lickout: :loopy: :appl:

I love the emoties - they say it all. Thank you!

Snicklefritz said:
FABULOUS! More pics please!

How can I resist? Coming up, ma'am!

movie zombie said:
congrats! :appl:

Thank you, MoZo!

ericad said:
AMAZING! I've never seen its equal - lucky lady! So happy that you got it!

Thank you, Erica - that is high praise indeed, considering the source. I'd been eyeballing the gorgeous dinner ring you guys have up, with the french cuts and the onyx, when I came across it again ... you guys planted the seed!

KristinTech said:
Love the perspective shots! Your dh is a good sport. :)

He is indeed. He's also put up with my spending all day saying things like, "And did I tell you about the fluorescence? LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE FLUORESCENCE. In fact, step into this closet ...."

Farleysmom said:
Stunning. Such a unique and lovely ring. It looks fab on.

Thank you!

Laila619 said:
Really beautiful, Circe! Congrats!

Thank you Laila!

derbygal said:
It is absolutely stunning. I love it on your right hand. Congrats on finder her! :appl:

Thank you, DG! It's a good spot - this way I can still wear my ruby one on the middle finger next to it!

And now ... a quick shoutout shot to SB, who asked for a few of it with the dinner ring!

with_ruby_ring_1.jpg

with_ruby_ring_2.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Incredible, Circe! I had to catch my breath when I saw the last two pics -- new ring with the ruby ring. Wow.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely stunning! I love it!!! :appl:

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!!
What a sensational ring :appl: :appl:
Real old school Hollywood glamour which I absolutely love :love: :love: :love: Gorgeous!!!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most stunning piece I've seen in a long while, perhaps to date. So lovely - thanks for sharing! :love:

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a gorgeous & rare beauty!! Wear it in good health!!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
OMG: how gorgeous is that ring---and what a fantastic collection you have. :love: :love: :love: the uniqueness and beauty of your pieces. Great glam shots too ;-)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my good Lord in heaven, how did I miss this?! Circe, it's AMAZING. INCREDIBLE. PERFECT in every possible way. I just adore it!!!! WOW. Think of all the adventures of its previous owners. And now you get to own it for a time and add to its legacy.

I'm completely inarticulate because I'm so bamboozled by this amazing piece! When I can find a coherent sentence, I'll be back to gush more, I'm sure.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the 2 rings together!!! Drool!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my giddy aunt! She is absolutely gorgeous! :love:

You have a beautiful collection - what I wouldn't give to play in your jewellery box!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GemFever|1388959896|3586962 said:
Incredible, Circe! I had to catch my breath when I saw the last two pics -- new ring with the ruby ring. Wow.

Thanks, GF! I will admit, both together at the same time is a little fancy, even for me. That's for the extra fancy occasions. :Up_to_something:

armywife13 said:
Absolutely stunning! I love it!!! :appl:

Thank you so much!

Scarlett1 said:
WOW!!!
What a sensational ring :appl: :appl:
Real old school Hollywood glamour which I absolutely love :love: :love: :love: Gorgeous!!!

Thank you - me, too! I have this great book about jewelry in Hollywood in the Golden Age, and, man, any opportunity to channel that ... :lickout:

ihy138 said:
Most stunning piece I've seen in a long while, perhaps to date. So lovely - thanks for sharing! :love:

Wow, that is high praise, indeed - thank you!

starburst said:
What a gorgeous & rare beauty!! Wear it in good health!!

Thank you for the lovely well-wishes!

WhoaNelly said:
OMG: how gorgeous is that ring---and what a fantastic collection you have. :love: :love: :love: the uniqueness and beauty of your pieces. Great glam shots too ;-)

Thanks, Nelly! I can't take credit for the photography, just for the not turning pink in the shots while my husband teased, but it definitely got good results! Maybe the ring is like Freya's girdle - you wear it, you turn sophisticated. I could use some of that in my life!

Rosebloom said:
Oh my good Lord in heaven, how did I miss this?! Circe, it's AMAZING. INCREDIBLE. PERFECT in every possible way. I just adore it!!!! WOW. Think of all the adventures of its previous owners. And now you get to own it for a time and add to its legacy.

I'm completely inarticulate because I'm so bamboozled by this amazing piece! When I can find a coherent sentence, I'll be back to gush more, I'm sure.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Rosebloom, thank you so much. You always know just what to say, with the nicest turn of phrase ... I love thinking of it like that! BTW, I haven't been back to update the whole fam thing (the more responses I read, the more emotional I got, the more I tried to articulate what I wanted to say in response, the harder it was to actually DO it without getting teary ... so now a couple of weeks have passed without my replying to all the kind advice I got), I just wanted to say that I really, really, really appreciated what you said. What everybody said, but your post just ... stuck in my head. So, thank you, twice and thrice over.

pregcurious said:
I love the 2 rings together!!! Drool!

Thank you, PC! They do seem to get along. Maybe they were friends in a previous incarnation .... :rodent:

Trekkie said:
Oh my giddy aunt! She is absolutely gorgeous! :love:

You have a beautiful collection - what I wouldn't give to play in your jewellery box!

Hee, I love that exclamation. Come to NYC one of these days and you can!

Okay, so, yesterday, I actually wanted to upload a whole boatload more pics, but my todder is a cruel taskmaster. Sooooo .... :twisted:

The ring is so awesome that calling anything about it a drawback seems inaccurate, but the shallowness of the stone, though really good for my wallet, did leave the door open for some windowing (if you'll pardon a terribly mixed metaphor). Here it is at its worst:

picture_window.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It didn't do it a lot, but it did do it once in a while when the lighting conditions were right, and it bugged a little. So I started thinking of solutions ....

... at first, I thought I'd just take it to my custom guy and take a page out of the Georgian's book by having it cupped. But given past experiences ... I'm leery about messing with vintage pieces unless its absolutely necessary. Also, I'm impatient by nature, and given that he's got two other pieces of mine he's working on right now, I'm not going to be seeing him for a while. On the other hand, since I'm a silversmith ... I figured it couldn't hurt to experiment, right?

And that's how I built my window-guard! It works on the same principle as a cup, but it's detachable, sort of like a wrap: nothing too complicated, just a piece of metal cut to fit the contours of the rings frame, shaped, polished, and attached to a guard band. The toughest part was probably polishing it to a mirror shine so the diamond wouldn't just pick up and magnify any striations! It's really effective, and really oddly satisfying to have come up with a solution all on my own. :rodent:

windowguard_1.jpg

windowguard_2.jpg

with_guard_1.jpg

with_guard_2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This one's just sterling, but I may have it cast in platinum (or, better yet, improved upon by my custom guy in platinum ... I bet this would look gorgeous with a band of french-cut sapphires! :naughty: ). But in the meantime, Imma have fun experimenting. Wonder if I can get the effect of a fancy with yellow or rose gold, for example .... :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results