shape
carat
color
clarity

Swala Tsavorite and Spessartite Cab

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I finally have them, after 2 weeks of waiting.

Here is the backstory. I want to make a ring for my sister''s partner after she fell in love with my tsavorite ring. I was originally going to look for a tsav for her, than I found out her favorite color is orange. A spess would be perfect. I found this spess cab from swala and the price was right. The thing was he was going to loose money on shipping it. I have always wanted a stone from Swala, so I found a cute little cushion tsavorite that is just my style. I was going to ask my father to give it to me for Christmas, but he sent it to me now as a "congrats on taking your speciality boards test!" Now lets just hoped I passed
6.gif
. I am sending the spess off to Sally tomorrow and she is going to design a setting for it, she will come up with the design after she sees it. The tsav I am going to keep loose for a while. I already have another tsav, but this one is very different. It is a brilliant cut and has a ton of sparkle. My other one is a step cut, and has a nice shine to it. They are different but equally beautiful, I can''t decide which one I like better.

So here are the stones.

1) 3.05 Loliondo Spessartite garnet 7.6x7.6x4 mm, mod included (although it is not as bad as I expected), I would describe it as orange with a bit of yellow.

2) 0.86 ct tsavorite garnet Tanzania, 5.9x5.8x3.8 cushion brillant, eye clean - this stone is a little darker than Eric''s photos, but it is not too dark at all.

swalaspesstsav1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
A photo of the new spess

swalaspesscab1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Just for fun, I got out my Nigerian Spessartite cut by Richard Homer to compare

swalahomerspess1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The tsavorite on its own

swalacushiontsav1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
And of course I have to compare the two tsavorites since I was concerned about getting another cushion. But cushion is my favorite shape for colored stones and they are very different cuts.

swalaacstsavs1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Last one, I am so excited to finally get these!

swalaasctsav22.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are lovely and deserve to be set. I can see the difference in “performance” between the 2 tsavorites but are those some smudges I see in the set tsavorite?
25.gif
Perhaps with some cleaning, the set tsavorite will sparkle more, rather than “shine”?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re both very pretty! I''m looking forward to seeing how the cab turns out!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love cabs.......looks like a nice one.

mz

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 2:42:25 PM
Author: Chrono
Both are lovely and deserve to be set. I can see the difference in “performance” between the 2 tsavorites but are those some smudges I see in the set tsavorite?
25.gif
Perhaps with some cleaning, the set tsavorite will sparkle more, rather than “shine”?

I didn''t realize how dirty it was until I took pictures. I in transition right now (i.e. living in a hotel). so my stuff is not as clean as it should be. I am wearing my diamond studs and sapphires around the clock because those are my most valuable stones and they are super dirty right now.

Here is my master setting plan:

1) the Richard Homer spess - the only thing that has kept me from moving forward with that is that my future engagement will most likely be a round brilliant that is the same size. I want to make sure they aren''t set exactly the same. My BF wants to pick out my future e-ring by himself, so the spess is in limbo.

2) The tsavorites. I am not happy with the current setting for my older stone. I think I want to set the new one into a halo (it is the bigger stone even though my pics make it look smaller) and reset my older one into a matching pendant. If I can find a thin LOGR ring, that would be best. I figure I will have to get the pendant made.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Fireproxy - thank you

packrat - thanks- I can''t wait to see what Sally decides. I am going to pretty much give her full design freedom

movie zombie - thanks - I love cabs too. My sister''s partner really loves the vintage/antique looks, so I thought a cab would be perfect for her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stones. I think that cab is going to look sensational once set.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
oops, for real this time

swalahomertsav4.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Last one

Today was a big day. I found a house, with a backyard. I get to move in in about 10 days. When I get settled I want to do an outdoor photo shoot with my favorite stones.

swalahomertsav5.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the house!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding a house! I love both stones but especially that tsav!!!!!!
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo...both the Swala gems are gorgeous!! Although I have to say I''m partial to the dark, sultry green on that ring! Hehe.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
TL - thanks, I can't wait to see it set :)

Packrat and Catmom - thank you. I am renting, but it is my first time living in a single family home without roommates, I finally feel like a grown up!

MTG - Thank you, I like them both, they are just different. I am actually not surprised that you like my set one better because it is a lighter version of the one you bought. I bought that stone from ACS the month Barbara was retiring and I was considering that one and the one you ended up with. I love the color, it is just a bit small which is why I think a pendant would be a better fit for it. I love having a tsav with a little blue in it though. When I put the stones on top of each other, I really do see the blue secondary tone everyone has been talking about my original tsav.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I am so jealous. Want to send them over - I promise to give them a good home.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the stones!! They both look very very nice. Do you think the vendor''s photos showed the stones accurately?

I like both your Tsavs and think you have a great plan for setting them. Then you''ll have an empty ring setting that will need a new stone! Good planning.
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh happy stones! And I'm sure your board exams are in your pocket!

cheers--Sharon

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
They''re beautiful! I love that Tsav
30.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful stones! I''m loving all these cabs lately
36.gif
can''t wait to see how you will set it!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Those are so pretty ltlfirecracker!
30.gif
Congrats on finding a house too and taking your exams!
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo - Let me thing about that one....uh no. They will have a home soon. And so will my poor cats who are staying with one of my co-workers who just met me :-0.

StoneHunter - I can't fully answer that question until I see the stone in direct sunlight. But I will say, so far, the Swala picture does not look like what I see. However, it is how the stone *wanted* to photograph. It took me a lot of work, playing with angles, to get an accurate color. That is why I only have hand shots, the box shots I took came out more like the vendor photo. I actually like the color better than the vendor shot, it is a little richer with less yellow than I thought it would have. I was between two stones, and this was the one Eric recommended, and the other stone was larger and cost a tad more. Yes I will have an empty ring setting, I will need to get a bigger stone for it
11.gif

canuk-gal - thank you, lets hope that is the last standardized test I take for 10 years!

Novel - thank you

D&T - thank you, I can't wait to see it set either.

Brandy - Thank you, I am so glad I have a place to live and those exams are over. I have been studying for the last several months!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
well, I know swala is not known for their photos... but their pic seems SO much lighter! Of course, it is a lovely stone regardless! I would have thought it would be much lighter than your other tsav though.

I''ve been aching for a cab... patience, though
20.gif
Looove that spess!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results