shape
carat
color
clarity

Supporting a teenager?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Amber. I''ve known T since he was a baby and I''m very, very fond of him.

It''s a miracle that any of us survive adolescence. Such a tough time, one way or another.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 2:28:21 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Thank you, Amber. I''ve known T since he was a baby and I''m very, very fond of him.

It''s a miracle that any of us survive adolescence. Such a tough time, one way or another.

It really is - I know so many that struggled so hard during that time. I look back and even though I would like my 16-year-old figure back (who wouldn''t?
2.gif
3.gif
), I wouldn''t go back to that paralyzing insecurity and drama and angst for anything...

T sounds like a wonderful kid and I think that you are doing all the right things to help him get through this.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know what his college experience will be like, but from my own I''ve found that the LGBT community is pretty quick to reach out to new freshman. I know I was approached within my first few weeks of college by some really warm students. We tend to have a way of finding each other, haha.

I might also recommend some David Sedaris books (he wrote "Me Talk Pretty One Day"). He''s a gay author, and his books are just funny and quippy short stories about his childhood, some of his stories involve him being gay or involve his partner, but for the most part they are just funny stories based on his life. He''s one of my favorite authors, and again, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys that sense of humor. Sometimes he pokes fun of his younger self and his growing pains as a gay boy in a hilarious way, but it''s obvious he''s comfortable and happy with his own orientation.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Now why didn't I think of that? I have every book David Sedaris has written, he's one of my favourite authors. Now you've pointed it out, it's a pretty obvious recommendation and I should have thought of him! I can be really dense sometimes.

I don't want to be in T's face about this, like oh no, auntie Jen is going on about being gay again... I have so many great recommendations for books, films etc but I think I'll have to introduce them slowly.

He's planning on going to Glasgow University (fingers crossed for the grades) and I know there's a great lgbt social scene there. I think he just needs to make it through his last year at high school and things will get easier as he finds more people to hang out with who understand.

btw, I saw him briefly on NYE and he was wearing high heels, a little eyeliner and a fantastic feather boa. I don't know if he really loves that sort of thing or if he was trying out one particular stereotype. He was on the way to a fancy dress party. Made me smile!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results