shape
carat
color
clarity

Summer Reads 2008: What''s On Your List?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread for ideas for new books. I''ve been working on a New Year''s resolution to read more, as it keeps me saner and happier throughout a busy schedule of teaching and masters classes. I''m trying to read 100 books this year, and I am on book #40!
9.gif

Just finished: The Last Lecture. A quick but excellent read.

Currently reading: Man O'' War: A Legend Like Lightning. I LOVE books about horse racing.

Books on deck:
Middlesex
The Host
Breaking Dawn (when it comes out... I can''t wait!)
The Memory Keeper''s Daughter
Pillars of the Earth
Three Bags Full
The Underneath
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Stand (I read this every summer, it''s my fave King book)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have quite a few. I plan to finish the Terry Goodkind series so :
Naked Empire
Chain Fire
Phantom
Confessor
Debt of Bones (which is a prequel)

Also:
Smart Couples Finish Rich
How to Pick a Peach (just need to finish it)
The Omnivore''s Dilemma
Dreams From My Father
The Holy Bible
The Tao of Equus
and a biography of Leonardo DaVinci that I have.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
My summer hasn''t been very long considering I taught summer school. I recently finished up:

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. It was delightful.

My current read is:

Emma by Jane Austen

I am the only English major I know who has never read ANYTHING she has written. None of my professors ever assigned her. I have dearly enjoyed the films though.

And after I finish that one, I don''t know what I''ll read. I have a BnN gift card to spend, so perhaps some shopping will be in order.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Currently reading ''In Defense of Food''. Really interesting and worthwhile, IMO.

I also have a ton of other books laying around that I plan to read this summer, including...
- Atonement
- Red, White and Drunk All Over (book about wine)

I have a ton more I''m tempted to buy but cannot justify it right now as I have a bunch at home waiting to be read (blanking on the rest right now, brain is fried).

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Just ordered "The World is Flat" for the honeymoon... And about 3 technical books which Im sure I will never open...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2008 5:50:01 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Diver, I really enjoyed Little Children. It was such an interesting read.

Addy, The Gathering was great, very heavy. I can usually read for hours at a time, I had to put that book down after each chapter, chew on it, then pick it back up again. I''d never read a book, enjoyed it, and not been able to read it all in a few sittings before. Let me know what you think of it.

I''m half-way through it right now. I took a break to read the very long, very good Free Food for Millionaires.

Actually, about half of the books I listed I''m currently on a break from. I try to alternate heavy books and easier reading but I somehow ended up buying four very heavy books recently.

I''ll let you know what I think of it, but I think I may stay on the lighter side of things and read Amy Tan''s The Kitchen God''s Wife or Lionel Shriver''s The Post-Birthday World next (which I only have in hard-back so I can''t carry easily on the train, I like it, but this make it very hard to read as well).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please tell me I didn''t kill this thread. I was getting some great ideas from it.

Read people, read! And report back pretty please.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Of course you didn''t kill the thread, Addy! I''ve been getting back into the swing of things with summer school so I haven''t picked up my book the last few days. Will do so this afternoon.

I would recommend reading something light before diving into The Gathering. It was such a painful book to read, because the characters are so well written. Or maybe I''m just a nut with a soft spot for crazy drunken Irish families.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results