shape
carat
color
clarity

Summer Reads 2008: What''s On Your List?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''ve read:

Swine Not -Jimmy Buffett (a fantastical, quick read. Really amusing and endearing story about a family and their pet pig in NYC)
Then We Came to the End -Joshua Ferris (funny, quirky, interesting, and paints such a great picture of what it is to work in an office)

What''s on my list ''to read'':

August: Osage County -Tracy Letts (saw the play, feel like I missed a lot of the intricacies, can''t wait to read it)
American Pastoral - Phillip Roth
The Ruins of California -Martha Sherrill
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close -Jonathan Safran Foer
Joe College -Tom Perrotta
Dear American Airlines -Jonathan Miles
Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp -Stephanie Klein
Hospital: man, woman, birth, death, infinity, plus red tape, bad behavior, money, God, and diversity on steroids -Julie Salamon
Five Points : the 19th-century New York City neighborhood that invented tap dance, stole elections, and became the world''s most notorious slum -Tyler Anbinder

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have on my list (which is short):

Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz (the book was a gift from an old friend so I better start reading) It is about captain Cook's voyage and the others voyage to the same places.

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich (the Stephanie Plum bounty hunter series) Just silly fun type read. I probably will check this out at the library

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart, by Gordon Livingston. I wanted it for a plane ride (light and easy read) and finishing it now...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (I''ve never actually read it)
Winston Churchill bio
Appalachia (don''t remember the author but it''s a true story about Appalachian women and their struggles in the middle of last century)
Dialogues of Plato
and, once again, I will TRY to read Moby Dick. I''ll call him Ishmael if he stops calling the whale a dang fish!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 9:55:16 PM
Author: somethingshiny

and, once again, I will TRY to read Moby Dick. I''ll call him Ishmael if he stops calling the whale a dang fish!!
SS, I have never read Moby Dick, and I have a B.A. in English. I was given an assignment in college that required me to compare another piece of literature, I believe it was Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson, to Moby Dick. I shamefully met with my professor during office hours to confess, he told me to read the Cliff''s Notes but never admit to anyone that he directed me to do so. I recieved a B on my paper.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Kimi~ That''s hilarious!

I was never assigned the book, I doubt any of my teachers ever read it...But, I''ve diligently been "reading" it for approximately 10 years. I read The Odyssey in 2 days, and the Bible in a summer, but Moby Dick...he''s another story
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 10:12:46 PM
Kimi~ That''s hilarious!

I was never assigned the book, I doubt any of my teachers ever read it...But, I''ve diligently been ''reading'' it for approximately 10 years. I read The Odyssey in 2 days, and the Bible in a summer, but Moby Dick...he''s another story
1.gif
Wow, you''ve read the entire bible?! That''s amazing. I believe my husband has as well, and I just can''t imagine myself doing so. I haven''t read The Odyssey either. I did read lots of medival literature though. I don''t think my program was rigorous enough.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 10:00:37 PM
Author: KimberlyH

SS, I have never read Moby Dick, and I have a B.A. in English. I was given an assignment in college that required me to compare another piece of literature, I believe it was Housekeeping by Marilyn Robinson, to Moby Dick. I shamefully met with my professor during office hours to confess, he told me to read the Cliff''s Notes but never admit to anyone that he directed me to do so. I recieved a B on my paper.

Too funny! I was an English major and am now an English teacher, and Moby Dick was the only book that I was assigned to read in hs that I actually didn''t read. I also got through with Cliff''s Notes!

I''m currently (finally) reading The Memory Keeper''s Daughter. Oh, and Kimberly, you should DEFINITELY read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! It took a WHILE to make sense, but was such a touching story!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 10:49:12 PM
Author: Sabine

Too funny! I was an English major and am now an English teacher, and Moby Dick was the only book that I was assigned to read in hs that I actually didn''t read. I also got through with Cliff''s Notes!

I''m currently (finally) reading The Memory Keeper''s Daughter. Oh, and Kimberly, you should DEFINITELY read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! It took a WHILE to make sense, but was such a touching story!
I''m so glad I''m not the only one, Sabine!

I went to the library this afternoon and have Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close sitting on my dresser now. I started American Pastoral this afternoon, need to finish it before I move on (it''s a dense read, but really good so far). The Memory Keeper''s Daughter was a good book. I didn''t LOVE it, but I enjoyed it. I hope you do too. I am finally done with school and so enjoying having time to read again.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My summer reads are pretty much pure garbage with a couple exceptions, so I feel the need to share that disclaimer. For pleasure reads, my taste is just like my taste in movies: pleasant, sometimes funny, and predictable.

Finished so far -
A Rose from the Dead by Kate Collins
Loving Frank
The Next Thing on my List
Shoe Addicts Anonymous (REALLY cute)

Next up:
I think something called Cheese Monkey? My mom was kind enough to hand me half her stack of summer reading, so I didn''t pick it out, but it looks good.
Chasing Harry Winston

There''s more I think on the shelf, but I can''t remember what.. and I''ll check my amazon and post again if I see anything good!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I read a great novel by Naomi K. Lewis called "Cricket in a Fist". It's about mothers and daughters and family memory. It's really powerful and still really stays with me, you know, gets into your bones kind of book. DH read it after me, and it was such a page turner that when he got into the bath with the book, thinking he'd read a chapter, he didn't come out till he'd read the whole thing! He was cold and wrinkly. I had fun warming him up.
3.gif

Here's a link:

Cricket in a Fist

Highly recommended.
34.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2008 6:20:03 PM
Author:KimberlyH

August: Osage County -Tracy Letts (saw the play, feel like I missed a lot of the intricacies, can''t wait to read it)

Kim, I saw that play too. It was extraordinary! I loved every minute of it. And while in Chicago, I recently saw his latest play "Superior Donuts". Inevitably, it wasn''t quiiiiite as good, but it was still a GREAT piece of theater.

He is a major, major new talent.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:11:22 AM
Author: Independent Gal

Kim, I saw that play too. It was extraordinary! I loved every minute of it. And while in Chicago, I recently saw his latest play ''Superior Donuts''. Inevitably, it wasn''t quiiiiite as good, but it was still a GREAT piece of theater.

IG, when we walked out the first words out of my mouth were "I want to see it again." It truly blew me away. We don''t have any trips to Chicago planned this summer, but hopefully his new play will end up in a touring company. August is already scheduled to, but dates haven''t been publicized; I can''t wait!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:05:04 AM
I read a great novel by Naomi K. Lewis called ''Cricket in a Fist''. It''s about mothers and daughters and family memory. It''s really powerful and still really stays with me, you know, gets into your bones kind of book. DH read it after me, and it was such a page turner that when he got into the bath with the book, thinking he''d read a chapter, he didn''t come out till he''d read the whole thing! He was cold and wrinkly. I had fun warming him up.
3.gif

Here''s a link:

Cricket in a Fist

Highly recommended.
34.gif
I''ve added this to my list. Looks like a page turner.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:21:01 AM

Kim, I saw that play too. It was extraordinary! I loved every minute of it. And while in Chicago, I recently saw his latest play ''Superior Donuts''. Inevitably, it wasn''t quiiiiite as good, but it was still a GREAT piece of theater.

IG, when we walked out the first words out of my mouth were ''I want to see it again.'' It truly blew me away. We don''t have any trips to Chicago planned this summer, but hopefully his new play will end up in a touring company. August is already scheduled to, but dates haven''t been publicized; I can''t wait!!!

Did you know August: Osage County won Letts the Pullitzer Prize this year? And FIVE Tonys! Well deserved, every one.

The New Yorker was skeptical, suggesting he peaked too soon and could only write about his rural background. The new play shows that''s deifnitely not the case.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am currently reading Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis, but that will be finished before we go away. I also have another book on the go, Jane Boelyn by Julia Fox. That may take me thru the first few days while away...I''ve read dozens of books this year already; I should use the summer for a break!!

cheers--Sharon

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm currently reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. I've spent the past year or so reading nothing but non-fiction mountaineering books and Krakauer is one of my favorite non-fiction writers.

I've also been on an Ayn Rand kick and have "We the Living" on my bookshelf to read.

When I read, I go through large phases. Before last year I hadn't read anything written in the 20th or 21st century for several years. I can't get over how much I love the Russians--Tolsty, Dostoyevsky, Nobokov. *swoon*. I find modern books much easier to read on my daily commutes, though!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:28:39 AM

Date: 6/23/2008 11:21:01 AM

IG, when we walked out the first words out of my mouth were ''I want to see it again.'' It truly blew me away. We don''t have any trips to Chicago planned this summer, but hopefully his new play will end up in a touring company. August is already scheduled to, but dates haven''t been publicized; I can''t wait!!!

Did you know August: Osage County won Letts the Pullitzer Prize this year? And FIVE Tonys! Well deserved, every one.

The New Yorker was skeptical, suggesting he peaked too soon and could only write about his rural background. The new play shows that''s deifnitely not the case.
We bought the tickets on a whim (we were supposed to leave NYC on Tuesday, decided to stay until Thursday and added a play and a second concert to our itinerary). I saw an add for the show that said it won the Pulitzer and the Tony''s were going on while we were in NY, so we got lucky having purchased the tickets prior to the awards. We had front row, center seats in the mezzanine, a perfect view of the stage.

I''m so glad that the new play demonstrates a long term prospect for him as a playwright. There were so many lines in the play that I was trying to remember because they were so powerful, and then I decided I had to read it, because I felt like I missed so much of the detail. The set was gorgeous, the acting was phenomenal, it was such an amazing experience.

I don''t know where you live, but another playwright/actor that I am in awe of is Hershey Felder. He wrote and performed/s a series on musician: George Gershwin Alone, Monsieur Chopin and Beethoven: As I Knew Him. If he ever comes your way, jump at the chance to see him. I saw him perform Gershwin and Beethoven and they were truly magical performances. He plays the piano beautifully and his acting skills are wonderful.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:41:21 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''m currently reading ''Under the Banner of Heaven'' by Jon Krakauer. I''ve spent the past year or so reading nothing but non-fiction mountaineering books and Krakauer is one of my favorite non-fiction writers.

I''ve also been on an Ayn Rand kick and have ''We the Living'' on my bookshelf to read.

When I read, I go through large phases. Before last year I hadn''t read anything written in the 20th or 21st century for several years. I can''t get over how much I love the Russians--Tolsty, Dostoyevsky, Nobokov. *swoon*. I find modern books much easier to read on my daily commutes, though!
I used to read in phases (I spent a year reading about the Holocaust, and another reading all modern American female authors). You and my husband love the Russians. Crime and Punishment is sitting on a shelf somewhere in my house waiting for me to tackle it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2008 11:36:02 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am currently reading Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis, but that will be finished before we go away. I also have another book on the go, Jane Boelyn by Julia Fox. That may take me thru the first few days while away...I''ve read dozens of books this year already; I should use the summer for a break!!

cheers--Sharon
Reading is my break. I''ve finally finished school and have free time to read again, so I''m all about the library.

When you said "I''ve read dozens of books..." I thought of Jimmy Buffett "I''ve read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I''ve learned much from both of their styles."

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2008 11:47:19 AM

Date: 6/23/2008 11:41:21 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''m currently reading ''Under the Banner of Heaven'' by Jon Krakauer. I''ve spent the past year or so reading nothing but non-fiction mountaineering books and Krakauer is one of my favorite non-fiction writers.

I''ve also been on an Ayn Rand kick and have ''We the Living'' on my bookshelf to read.

When I read, I go through large phases. Before last year I hadn''t read anything written in the 20th or 21st century for several years. I can''t get over how much I love the Russians--Tolsty, Dostoyevsky, Nobokov. *swoon*. I find modern books much easier to read on my daily commutes, though!
I used to read in phases (I spent a year reading about the Holocaust, and another reading all modern American female authors). You and my husband love the Russians. Crime and Punishment is sitting on a shelf somewhere in my house waiting for me to tackle it.
HI:

I also love "the" Russians....and just reread "The Idiot".. loved it all over again.

Kimberly: No matter how much work Grad school threw at me, I always had a "fun" book to read to take my mind off things. Sometime it was "The Star" magazine.......
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For everyone who loves the "russians", check out Tolstoy Lied: A Love Story by Rachel Kadish. I''m currently reading Senator''s Wife by Sue Miller. An interesting story and so beautifully written.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My book club is reading Little Children by Tom Perotta.

I think I''m going to suggest Cricket in a fist for next round.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson. It''s a fun read!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I''m reading Free Food for Millionaires.

I also have:
The Golden Notebook
Affluenza
The Gathering
The Kitchen God''s Wife
The Post-Birthday World

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Diver, I really enjoyed Little Children. It was such an interesting read.

Addy, The Gathering was great, very heavy. I can usually read for hours at a time, I had to put that book down after each chapter, chew on it, then pick it back up again. I''d never read a book, enjoyed it, and not been able to read it all in a few sittings before. Let me know what you think of it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s been forever since I''ve read, so my list is short. Thanks, Kimberly, for starting this. Now I can add to my list.

Fearless Fourteen -- Janet Evanovich

Change of Heart -- Jodi Picoult

If Sophie Kinsella has a newer one out than Remember Me, I''ll read it. Remember Me was good, and I like her books

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I read that in college too. It was pretty good, from what I remember. I don''t know that I would have read it if it hadn''t been assigned, but I liked it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoe,

My sister loved the Jodi Piccoult book you mentioned.

Housekeeping was an excellent read. I also love Larry''s Party by Carol Shields if you''re into modern American female lit.

Happy reading!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Beach Music- Pat Conroy
A Patchwork Planet- Anne Tyler
Broadway Nights- Seth Rudetsky

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results