shape
carat
color
clarity

Stray Kitty at my job

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
I work at a prison in Central NJ and we have quiet a few stray kittens and cats. One kitten in particular is such a little lover. He is the friendliest lil man who loves to be scratched and pet. The last couple days he has been VERY lethargic. Not responding to people nearly as much as in the past and not eating quite as much. I know he isn''t my pet but I have grown quite attatched and hate to see him this way. I was thinking about taking up a collection for possible vet bills. Has anyone done anything like this before? I guess my biggest fear is either no one will donate or I am biting off more than I can chew.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''d definitely do it. It can''t hurt to try, right? Lethargy in a kitten could be a sign of something pretty serious
7.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Can you look for a rescue organization near you? If he''s really that friendly and loving, he deserves a good home, and a rescue organization could get him the vet care he needs and help place him in that home. Where are you located? I''m sure I, and all the fellow cat lovers on here would be happy to help you find a good organization nearby.

Good luck - please keep us updated on what happens to the little guy!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Here are some links of listings of rescue organizations - I''m not at all familiar with NJ geography, so I don''t know what''s near you:

List of NJ organizations

Save Our Strays - central NJ

Associated Humane Society

Only Hopes Cat Rescue (not doing intake right now but might be able to provide support if you are willing to foster the little guy)

Can you start working on some kind of trap-neuter-return program at your workplace so that the population of feral kitties stops breeding? This is the most humane way to go about helping these animals.

Info about Ferals and TNR

Listing of Feral Cat Organizations in NJ

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2007 8:17:20 PM
Author:DiamondSmitten
I work at a prison in Central NJ and we have quiet a few stray kittens and cats. One kitten in particular is such a little lover. He is the friendliest lil man who loves to be scratched and pet. The last couple days he has been VERY lethargic. Not responding to people nearly as much as in the past and not eating quite as much. I know he isn''t my pet but I have grown quite attatched and hate to see him this way. I was thinking about taking up a collection for possible vet bills. Has anyone done anything like this before? I guess my biggest fear is either no one will donate or I am biting off more than I can chew.
Please try and do what you can, the collection is a great idea!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain -they really weasel their way into our hearts! I would do whatever I could to try and raise $ for this kitty to be seen by a vet. AG gave you some great resources. Good luck and thank you for trying!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
DS - any updates on the stray kitten or the rest of the strays??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call Jersey Shore Animal Shelter in Brick NJ. Unless found the cats in Brick, they can''t take the cats in... but they should be able to refer you to a place that can help. I used to volunteer there and they are very good. Ask for Ryan if you can.

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Still trying to get enough money to take him to the vet and we just found 5 new kittens at the Prison t (2-3 weeks old) to boot. He is probably the papa cat but who knows. Now we have a whole new issue to tackle. I wish I had a farm... I would take them all in...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey DS... I really advise you to call the shelter I named. They can at the LEAST put you in touch with ABC (animal birth control) and organization who in the past has helped me get reduced vet care for strays. Jersey Shore is a REALLY good shelter with really dedicated and helpful people. Just a call will go a long way in giving you some resources. You need to call when they are open though.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Animal control will spay/neuter, as Gypsy said, at a reduced cost.

Holly is the stray cat I rescued and when I called the vet, they said it would be $345 to spay her.
23.gif

Animal control, as well as the Humane Society, both of which offer reduced cost neutering, only charged $45. Talk about reduced cost! I went with animal control because they had a sooner appt open.

They may even offer a more reduced cost for ferals?

Holly happened to be pregnant, so that increased the cost of her spay from $45 to $75.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ABC got me $30 dollar spays at East Coast Spay in Toms River. Without their help it was $45 or more I think. They also helped with other care and services. Good organization. Jersey Shore is where I took all the strays I found, all of mine got adopted to great forever homes and none were ever put down.

Vet care is really expensive... if you are going to rescue or attempt to rescue these organizations and resources are invaluable.

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Without further ado...... the ADORABLE prison kitties...

ETA: The 4 orange and one cream are boys and the grey in the top corner hiding her face is a lil lady

lil baby boos.JPG

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
My lil baby.... is he the prettiest color or what?

lil my baby.JPG

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
OMG...How cute are these little guys!!!!!
face23.gif
I wish I could help you with them!! YAY for you for taking them under your wing. What are your plans for them now?

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
This is MAMA''s brother but NOT the papa.... papa is a grey TOM who doesn''t come around much.

lil bubba.JPG

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
This is the 7th baby. He got a TERRIBLE eye infection and MAMA stopped caring for him. While his siblings were 1 lb he was a mere 7 ounces. My vet has him now, we were going to have to euthanize, but they decided to do IV antibiotics and round the clock care for free instead. He is eating, getting stronger now they tell me but will probably be blind even after the infection is gone..... the whole thing breaks my heart but he is being a trooper. I am hoping to visit this week and get a new pic.

lil sick baby.JPG

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Here is what is going on. Brother was the one I thought might be sick.... turns out he is just really lazy but very responsive. Turns out I have the best coworkers. I took the sick one and the peach/cream one to the vet, the peach one had an eye sealed shut from infection just like the sick one. They opened it up and put drops in and gave me enough drops for the other 5 babies. When I went back to work the next day 3 more had one eye shut from infection. One of the correction officers helped me use gauze and warm water to open them and put in the drops. Since then the 6 at the prison have had 2-3 eye drop doses every day and all eyes look beautiful , blue and healthy. I started to find homes for the babies. I am keeping the cream one (I am sure my big guys will be just thrilled) A female correction officer is taking an orange kitten and a friend of a friend is taking another orange kitten home tommorrow. So 3 down, 3 to go since if the sick guy makes it the Vet will place him in a home. I have three of them home to start on soft kitten food and get used to people. After the first orange 2 go home I will bring the other 3 home and do the same thing. In July my county is having a spay/neuter clinic. A girl at work is going to help me round up MAMA kitty, Brother kitty and their sister who hangs around to get fixed and stop this prison kitty epidemic. for 35 we can get them spayed or neutered and get DPT and Rabies shots which I think is a FABULOUS deal. This whole ordeal has been challenging and rewarding.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, DS glad to hear you and your co-workers made the best of the situation! The kitties are soooo beautiful!
36.gif

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Someone just took two of the little loves home... Now 4 out of 7 have homes. Not bad work for one week.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 6:54:34 PM
Author: DiamondSmitten
Someone just took too of the little loves home... Now 4 out of 7 have homes. Not bad work for one week.
Hey! I see we''re in similar boats LOL congrats on finding homes! I hope I can find a deal like that for the $35, I''d really like to place these guys already fixed.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
YAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

DS - GOOD FOR YOU!! What a wonderful story. I''m so impressed with the work you and your co-workers and that vet have done. You''ve saved those sweet babies from a sad life outside and placed them in loving homes - I can''t even begin to tell you how wonderful that is. Good for you for taking that initiative to save these little ones and to get the older kitties fixed. I''ll have my fingers crossed for all of them and for you as well.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Such a wonderful outcome! so glad to hear it! And the kittens are just lovely!! I have an orange tabby female myself, looks a lot like your mama cat... and it''s so rare to have an orange tabby be female! It''s like only a 15-20% chance. As they told me when I adopted Lucy, the orange tabby females can be a bit MOODY!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I forgot to mention - the brother actually looks EXACTLY like our female orange tabby, Amber. Sumbride - I''ve heard its only like 1 out of 10 orange tabbies are girls. I guess it depends on who you ask...

Ours definitely isn''t aloof though - she doesn''t care to be picked up or have her nails clipped, but other than that she''s our friendliest kitty - she loves to snuggle and meet everyone who comes over and is a total lap cat. What is Lucy like?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 11:42:06 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Yeah I forgot to mention - the brother actually looks EXACTLY like our female orange tabby, Amber. Sumbride - I''ve heard its only like 1 out of 10 orange tabbies are girls. I guess it depends on who you ask...

Ours definitely isn''t aloof though - she doesn''t care to be picked up or have her nails clipped, but other than that she''s our friendliest kitty - she loves to snuggle and meet everyone who comes over and is a total lap cat. What is Lucy like?

That sounds more likely AG. I remember being told it was really rare. In fact Lucy''s rescue papers have neuter orders, later crossed out when she went into heat and they figured out she was female. It says "oops... SPAY... ''Chip'' is a FEMALE!" I can''t believe they named her Chip and thought she was a boy because she is so feminine!

Lucy had a difficult kittenhood, so that may have a lot to do with her issues as well, but she has her snuggle times and then she has her "DON''T touch me!" moments. She loves to play, and she does greet people now, but she was extremely skittish until we put her on Prozac and she was worrying herself sick... chronic UTIs due to emotional distress. She never let me trim her nails for the first couple years, but eventually, after many many treats following a trim, she now doesn''t seem to mind when it''s time for a "pedicure". She hates our other cat, even after living together for 2 years, but when we talk to her she just gets so excited that she squeaks (she can''t meow).

I always wish I''d met Lucy as a kitten, but seeing the pics of these kittens shows me what she looked like!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2007 11:42:06 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

I know why more males are orange... because both orange and black are on the X gene and not only can females have one of each (tortie/calico) but orange is recessive so a female would need two orange genes where a male just needs one. there are a ton of other factors in what color a cat will be, but I learned some of this in genetics in college but that was over 15 years ago so if I''m wrong that''s why LOL (Pretty sure I''m not though lol)

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
The last few are going to their "furrever" homes today. The grey female and one male are going to the same home where they will be the only pets and the last orange male is going to a home with a big sister cat. I might even have a home for the sick one when he is strong and healthy enough though blind kitties are a lot of work to train. MAMA was out this morning nursing the last three that are at the prison and protecting them from the rain. I know she will miss them but they all when to awesome homes and will be UBER loved. 7homes for 7 kitties in one week.... I couldn''t be happier!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results