shape
carat
color
clarity

Stolen gift to my mom on my wedding day...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock

I am so ready to cry

39.gif
..... I officially hate the United States Postal Service.

Back-story: I wanted something truly special for my mom for a gift to her from me on my wedding day. Obviously; I am part of a jewelry forum for a reason... and picked a small yellow gold eternity band. They symbology behind it is that I (duh) love jewelry and she would think of me, but more importantly I wanted something that would stand the test of time and remind her that no matter where we both were in life, my love and appreciation for her was endless... much like the diamonds on the band.

16.gif

Good right?! Wrong.

I finally found a band I liked and was with in my price range and in yellow gold (her preference, which is harder to find now!). Got very excited and ordered. Missed my mail carrier and got the slip that told me to go pick up my parcel at the post office. I get there very excited and sign for it. The teller hands over the package.

AND THERE IS A HOLE IN IT!!
32.gif

Like a deliberate hole where someone ripped out the box. The invoice and a catalog are still in the package. I look at her stunned and say " Um its pretty obvious that my package is missing..." She looks at me and says "..if its insured you need to file a claim, nothing I can do about it..."

Two things floor me about this: 1st is that she just handed over a clearly opened package!! Made me sign for it and pull out my ID out to verify it was me, and then handed me an open package and told me it was my problem, file a claim?!?!?!

2nd; Why the heck does the postal service mark the packages "Insured" ?!?! That''s screams "please break into me... my owners paid to have me replaced, which means I am worth something to some one!!"

I just want to cry. Now I have to get a hold of the shipper/seller ( he is the one who insured it), send him the torn package back so he can bring it in to claim it, then he has to file the claim (which by the way...the USPS lets you file no sooner then 21 days after receipt of the package but no later than 120 days), wait for the USPS to refund him the value he claimed then refund me.

Now while this is all good and dandy, and in theory I will see my money again.. my wedding is in a week and a half!!!!!!! I don''t have the cash to buy another ring, and I can''t wait to get paid for the one the post office stole, and take the chance of it not being here in a week for my rehearsal dinner.

What is wrong with people?!?! I am at such a loss as to what to do.

7.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
That totally sucks!!! Surely they have some responsibility, it was probably one of their staff who stole it? Who else has access to packages at a postoffice?!?!

Disgusting!!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a shame! I am so sorry that this happened. Apparently, USPS registered insured mail is the safest way to send something. It apparently moves under lock and key from place to place so that someone in that chain knows when the loss occurred. I understand that they are very good in paying out their claims - the question is how long it takes to pay it out.

Since the vendor is the one that has to file the claim, maybe he would bend to accomodate you. It would be nice if he would send another out knowing he was going to get his money back.

As a mother, I can tell you that while it may not be in the circumstances you wanted it to be, your mother will be overwhelmed with the thought, sentiment and love behind your gift. The timing of it is understandably upsetting to you - she will understand, share your anguish, and love you all the more for your gallant effort. You are a sweet and thoughtful daughter - and you truly are her best gift. Trust me on this ~

Best of luck to you with your loss and with your wedding. Stuff happens that isn''t in our control. Don''t let it spoil your glorious day - your mother would not want you to let this get in the way of your happiness.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I hate them too after hearing that story. I am so sorry!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
OMG!! Mortifying!!!

TBjumper, you are an amazing daughter!! (Don''t think I won''t show this thread to my daughter
2.gif
)

It sucks. It sucks. It sucks. But I can tell that you will work it out.

::::mumbles:::: I wish I got an eternity band when my daughter got married.

17.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
(((((HUGS)))))

I am so sorry to hear about this. I am sure that things will be set right, but in the meantime, I''m sure your mother will love nothing more than seeing you beautiful and beaming on your wedding day. Let her know what happened if you want to, or surprise her with it at a later date and then tell her the story. I know if *I* told my mom what happened before the replacement arrived, she''d be off to the nearest USPS to complain so quickly I don''t even think Superman could track her down.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Some people suck. Arrgh, I am so mad for you TB!! I just want to cry for you.

But you know what? I can''t cry for you because the fact that you would do this for your Mom brings me to happy (albeit a bit of envious) tears.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry this happened. I''m sure your mom will still appreciate the gift even if she gets it later.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s rubbish!! I''m really sorry to hear that.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
utter rubbish that is awful -
38.gif
I am so sorry

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I''m not only saddened by your loss of the ring, but also at how rude that postal worker seemed! I mean, she could have been more apologetic at the fact you lost a diamond ring, and it was their fault! I know it sounds like everything will work out eventually, but I know you want it to work now. Best of luck working to get it, and I know your mom will appreciate it whenever she gets it! Don''t let that bother you too much!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
OMG
39.gif
Why must some people persist in being awful? I am so sorry. Luckily it will all get sorted out eventually. Maybe you could turn it into something silly like wrapping up the box with the whole and writing a goofy story about your search and thoughts behind it and subsequent shock and poor service to explain it is a place holder for the real deal?

Either way, I''d imagine you''ll need pictures of that box to include with your claim.

Good luck!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
How horrible, I''m outraged for you not only about their loss of your ring but the rude response. I hope the claim doesn''t take too long and you can get a replacement quickly, but I ditto everyone who said it''s the thought that counts and your mom will still be overjoyed when it does come.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
With all due respect; that the seller has to claim their insurance is none of your concern. He/she should either refund you or send you a replacement now.

You are being very kind to him/her to wait for their claim to clear - it is not your problem.

That said, I think it is terrible that the clerk requested you to sign for an obviously tampered parcel. What is their policy on that? Do you need to make a complaint about her?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Call that post office and ask if they have a postal inspector on location and ask to talk to him/her.
Tell them what is going on.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
OMG! I can''t believe this. I''m so sorry! I''ve had that exact same thing happen, they dont care. Hopefully the seller will send you another one and then he will pursue the claim!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"the USPS lets you file no sooner then 21 days after receipt of the package but no later than 120 days"

That is only true for a lost package not stolen contents.

Do nothing with the box and handle it as little as possible.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Oh you poor thing! I just wanted to say how sorry I am and I really hope you get a replacement or reimbursement. You are such a wonderful daughter for thinking of such a thoughtful gift to give to your mother! Please let us know how everything turns out!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Wow, everyone I am truely touched by everyone''s concern. I am going to answer you guys one at a time so bare with me...

Honey: From my convo with the seller he wants me to wait for the claim. I asked about shipping another one, and he stated I have to pay for another and he will refund me when he gets his money from the USPS... doesnt sit so well with me, and I am pushing the issue some more today.

MissGot Rocks: I took your advice and talked to my mom. She was mortified someone would actually do that, and was upset I was so upset. She was vey touched I thought the gift through that much, and is excited to recieve it when ever this all clears up. She is trying to convince me it will mean the same... which I know it will the timing just stinks.
38.gif

TGAL: Its just wrong. Where in the world did everyone''s sense of respect go?!

Miraclesrule: Trust me, it probably is not a normal mother daughter gift... but it is kinda her fault I swoon over diamonds.
12.gif
its only fair I make sure she knew she had an impact on me. Keep with the guilt trip, your daughter has plently of holidays she can grab an eternity band for ya
11.gif

vr10um: thx for the hugs...I needed them! My mom was LIVID....
29.gif

Oddnut: thx for the kind words, the folks on this forum never fail... always there with kind words. Very much appreiciated.

bee*: I agree total rubbish ( I admit I just wanted to use the word rubbbish lol)

Deelight: I know right?! Grrrrr

Charbie: (threadjack... beautiful photos lady!!) you were right my mom did understand... and was very touched.

Mayachel: claim is supposed to go through seller and he is taking care of it, but the more I think about it, why the heck shoud I have to wait to be refunded!?

Purse: thx for the thoughts hun.

Steel: your post really hit a cord with me, and after reading it. I wrote an email to the seller really pushing the matter. I shouldnt have to wait for the usps. I did business with the seller, not the USPS, and I want my money or a replacement now. He can get his when ever the USPS gets around to it. Not my problem... we''ll see what happens after my email

Karl K: If i call what do i say? just explain the situation? I still have the package, and I showed it to the teller when she handed it to me... I have not opened it any farther or anything...

Rhbgirl24: I am asking the seller right now about that...

Magsmay: thank you... thats why I am so upset... I thought perfect gift with meaning for the mom who has everything... stupid thoughtless people ruin everything...
7.gif

and small disclaimer... my spelling is terrible with out spellcheck so dont kill me, I typed this pretty fast...

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
figured I would show you guys the package. I highlighted where the label indicates it is insured... that just screams "please break into me" if you ask me.... picuted of the back to follow...

frontpackagemissingring.JPG

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
back of the package... I am not sure how my invoice and the booklet managed to stay in there... someone rumaged for the ring box, got what they wanted and left the rest.

backrippedring.JPG

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
last one...
29.gif

wholepackageripped.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
OMG! How could anyone with any morals try to give that to you and tell you too bad?!?!
38.gif
I''m so angry for you TBJ.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Sunny: the kicker is she handed it to me face up! I dont know if it was on purpose or not, but I walked right to the door before I turned it open to start opening it and then saw the back... how did she miss that?? I want to say she just missed it, but after this whole thing, I am starting to believe people are just rotten and she kept it face up on purpose...

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 2:28:43 PM
Author: sunnyd
OMG! How could anyone with any morals try to give that to you and tell you too bad?!?!
38.gif
I''m so angry for you TBJ.
My thoughts exactly....this burns me up!!!!
38.gif

Lori

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Lori: Burns me up too, now I am getting a different story from the post office, the 800 number for the post office and the seller. Each one of them is saying I need to do different things...
39.gif
I just want my money back, or a new ring!!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Your intention behind this gift is really beautiful. It''s heartwarming that you wanted to do something so nice for your mom on "your" special day.

Which makes it all the worse that the ring was stolen
7.gif
I''m so sorry .. I hope you can work it out with the seller. I am in total agreeance that handling the insurance issue shouldn''t affect when you get the ring. You paid for something, and he needs to deliver it.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Lily: why thanks! I cant imagine my day with out my mom... her and my dad are the reason our up coming wedding is able to happen!! She deserves something to remind her of me and the day.
9.gif

UPDATE: Seller has agreed to refund me the day he gets the damaged package back from me and not make me wait for the USPS to refund him. I am overnighting to him this afternoon. I asked if I could get a replacement instead of a refund. Lets hope he says yes, and has one in stock. I litteraly would turn right back around and buy another ring with the refund, so whouldnt it make sense just to send the replacement?
33.gif

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh! I am sooooooo sorry! That is just terrible. I hate the US postal service too. The lost my engagement photos that I ordered, and it took me 5 months to reorder and receive them. They told me that there was nothing they could do about, didn''t offer to pay for it or anything.

From now on, I send everything via UPS or Fed-Ex or request to pay for the shipping if someone sends something to me.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry this happened to you. Some people are such scumbags sometimes.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif
I hope the insurance claim comes through soon for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results