shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a Ruby thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum - awwww what a shame you lost your ring. You must have been so sad.
7.gif

TL - oh dear, my secret is out
9.gif
(not!)

Pink Tower - yes I can see the star but it depends on the lighting AND of course if there''s a mirror in front of me
2.gif

Marcy - please post up photos! I can''t believe that a coloured stone forum is so short on Ruby pictures! C''mon everybody, let''s see some more!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 1:33:59 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
7.gif

9.gif
(not!)

Pink Tower - yes I can see the star but it depends on the lighting AND of course if there''s a mirror in front of me
2.gif

Marcy - please post up photos! I can''t believe that a coloured stone forum is so short on Ruby pictures! C''mon everybody, let''s see some more!!!
Please don''t tell me you look like "Mrs. Doubtfire" and I have to address you as HRM. LOL!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 2:42:40 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

7.gif

9.gif
(not!)

2.gif

Please don''t tell me you look like ''Mrs. Doubtfire'' and I have to address you as HRM. LOL!!
OMG I hope not LOL!

Can''t you reference a stunningly gorgeous Brit to compare me with instead of the uglies! LOL At least that way I could lie and say, "of course I look like [insert name of cute Brit]"!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Loving D.,
You made me think of something I read when you said:

Can''t you reference a stunningly gorgeous Brit to compare me with instead of the uglies! LOL At least that way I could lie and say, "of course I look like [insert name of cute Brit]"!

I recall reading that a recent marriage in the Royal Family chose a ruby, and that the family did not think she should have chosen the ruby. I think it had been a ''not so lucky in love'' stone in the past. Sure enough, the marriage did not last
I went right ahead with my plans for a ruby engagement ring after I read that, of course. They must have vaults of things stored, and the bride just picks out whatever she wishes, I suppose.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 3:54:05 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Loving D.,

Can''t you reference a stunningly gorgeous Brit to compare me with instead of the uglies! LOL At least that way I could lie and say, ''of course I look like [insert name of cute Brit]''!

I recall reading that a recent marriage in the Royal Family chose a ruby, and that the family did not think she should have chosen the ruby. I think it had been a ''not so lucky in love'' stone in the past. Sure enough, the marriage did not last
I went right ahead with my plans for a ruby engagement ring after I read that, of course. They must have vaults of things stored, and the bride just picks out whatever she wishes, I suppose.
Pink Tower - I know that the Duchess of York had a Ruby e-ring with a diamond halo (think Princess of Wales but with a red centre instead of blue!). I wonder if one of the new minor royals has recently chosen a ruby also? Princess Pushy''s son just got married to a very pretty American - I wonder if it was them?

I don''t think they have a vault of stones to choose from unfortunately because I seem to recall that Prince Charles bought Princess Diana''s e-ring (sapphire) from Garrards the royal jewellers? I may be totally mistaken.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
LD,
You are correct; it is Sarah Ferguson that I was trying to recall. She must still love Rubies, as she subsequently wote a children''s book and called the main character Ruby.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah Ferguson''s engagement ring

Sarahs%20jewelry.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A better one
bague4.jpg

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LD and the other Ladies ;

You have a fine collection of rubies.

I know many, many years back when buying Vietnamese ruby they to me looked like fine rich pink sapphires; but to my amazement they came back from GIA as ruby. So I guess they made the color grade after all.

I do like the huge marq. LD it is an amazing gem. Along with many others I saw.

Ruby to me is one of those that are very tricky. I have some I trust as I have had them almost 20 years and got to test them in every way and with every piece of equipment in my arsenal. I also had fellow GG friends test them also just to make sure my intelligence was where I thought it was.
26.gif

Now with the resin filling that has a closer RI to the ruby instead of lead glass it is less easy to detect; the Be heating of some of the African sapphires that will give them a fire engine red that is unreal; still very lovely though. And as long as they divulge the treatment I really have no issue with Be it is lovely and stable and still corundum.

Now in the last 10 years they have been filling the rough so buying rough is not the easy fix to know something has not been altered. Ruby to me now is a tough nut to crack and I will spend more time testing a ruby than any other gem mineral in the entire group. I applaud anyone that has a natural fine natural ruby above 2 carats and if it is unheated well you have one rare creature...

So you ladies with fine natural rubies consider yourselves lucky and treasure them as they are rare.

As for the fracture filled and Be heated ones; they are still nice gems by any means just keep the fracture filled ones out of the ultrasonic cleaners and they should hold up fine...

I have refused more parcels of ruby than any other gem mineral; so the ones I do have I really think quite a lot of and never really offer many of them for sale as I find it very hard to replace them.

But I just had to say I really liked the rubies I saw and LD you have some very fine jewelry...

Happy Thanksgiving

Most respectfully

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 3:38:51 PM

Date: 11/26/2009 2:42:40 PM

7.gif

9.gif
(not!)

2.gif

Please don''t tell me you look like ''Mrs. Doubtfire'' and I have to address you as HRM. LOL!!
OMG I hope not LOL!

Can''t you reference a stunningly gorgeous Brit to compare me with instead of the uglies! LOL At least that way I could lie and say, ''of course I look like [insert name of cute Brit]''!
Sorry, after Diana, well, the poor royal family leaves much to be desired in the looks department. At least I didn''t call you "Camilla
32.gif
" LOL!!

Would Elizabeth Hurley do???
9.gif

KentK

Rough_Rock
Saw this thread and thought I would add to it.

DSC00059.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
KentK, that is just beautiful!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kent W
30.gif
W. Sensational necklace. Do you have any stats on it? More information and pictures please!!!!

TL - Good job you didn''t call me Camilla otherwise we''d not be talking now! lol
13.gif

Dana - you are too kind, thank you. Also, thank you for giving us an insight into the buying of Rubies. I had no idea that Rubies were one of the hardest nuts to crack!!! May I wish you a happy Thanksgiving also.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 4:06:43 PM

Loving D.,

Can't you reference a stunningly gorgeous Brit to compare me with instead of the uglies! LOL At least that way I could lie and say, 'of course I look like [insert name of cute Brit]'!

I recall reading that a recent marriage in the Royal Family chose a ruby, and that the family did not think she should have chosen the ruby. I think it had been a 'not so lucky in love' stone in the past. Sure enough, the marriage did not last
Pink Tower - I know that the Duchess of York had a Ruby e-ring with a diamond halo (think Princess of Wales but with a red centre instead of blue!). I wonder if one of the new minor royals has recently chosen a ruby also? Princess Pushy's son just got married to a very pretty American - I wonder if it was them?

I don't think they have a vault of stones to choose from unfortunately because I seem to recall that Prince Charles bought Princess Diana's e-ring (sapphire) from Garrards the royal jewellers? I may be totally mistaken.
Slightly off topic, but all these questions, and more, can be answered in the huge Royal Jewels sticky thread in the Jewelry subforum. LD, you would LOVE the eyecandy there. BTW, who is Princess Pushy? I believe Diana's (RIP
12.gif
) sapphire (8 carats) was from Gerrards. Well, there are a billion pics of it in the RJ thread and some of Sarah Ferguson's ruby as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 9:58:33 AM

Date: 11/26/2009 4:06:43 PM

Loving D.,

Pink Tower - I know that the Duchess of York had a Ruby e-ring with a diamond halo (think Princess of Wales but with a red centre instead of blue!). I wonder if one of the new minor royals has recently chosen a ruby also? Princess Pushy''s son just got married to a very pretty American - I wonder if it was them?

I don''t think they have a vault of stones to choose from unfortunately because I seem to recall that Prince Charles bought Princess Diana''s e-ring (sapphire) from Garrards the royal jewellers? I may be totally mistaken.
Slightly off topic, but all these questions, and more, can be answered in the huge Royal Jewels sticky thread in the Jewelry subforum. LD, you would LOVE the eyecandy there. BTW, who is Princess Pushy? I believe Diana''s (RIP
12.gif
) sapphire (8 carats) was from Gerrards. Well, there are a billion pics of it in the RJ thread and some of Sarah Ferguson''s ruby as well.
Hi TL I do actually go and look at that thread on occasion. I actually HATE Diana''s engagement ring (off to the Tower with me then!) but I don''t think the Sapphire was very lovely. It was too dark. Blasphemy I hear you all cry!!!

Princess Pushy = Princess Michael of Kent! lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 10:14:51 AM

Hi TL I do actually go and look at that thread on occasion. I actually HATE Diana''s engagement ring (off to the Tower with me then!) but I don''t think the Sapphire was very lovely. It was too dark. Blasphemy I hear you all cry!!!

OMG, I thought I was the only one who thought that. I don''t like it either!! Off with my head!!!
emcrook.gif
I do like some of the Queen Mother''s sapphires though, and HM wears them on occassion. As long as Boris, I mean Camilla, doesn''t get to wear them (I''m so bad). LOL!!

KentK

Rough_Rock
Thanks,

I had it made for my wife for our wedding day.

5 rubies total weight 3cts
6 G VS H&A Cut diamonds 2.5cts

Ruby193923.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty necklace Kent!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Kent,
The necklace is lovely.
Thank you for sharing.
Pink

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stats as well Kent! Where are the rubies from? Do you know if they''ve been heated or treated?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 10:21:43 AM

OMG, I thought I was the only one who thought that. I don''t like it either!! Off with my head!!!
emcrook.gif
I do like some of the Queen Mother''s sapphires though, and HM wears them on occassion. As long as Boris, I mean Camilla, doesn''t get to wear them (I''m so bad). LOL!!
Looks like we''ll have adjacent cells in The Tower of London then lol

KentK

Rough_Rock
The rubies were listed from the vendor as Burma and heated, and match the rubies I used for her engagement ring.

gems09032.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Kent, that necklace design is superb. I love this thread...I have never been a fan of rubies, or any really red stone, for that matter, as what I saw seemed cloudy to me. Guess I''ve never seen any really nice red stones. This is making me rethink!

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 11:30:07 AM

Date: 11/27/2009 10:21:43 AM

emcrook.gif
Looks like we''ll have adjacent cells in The Tower of London then lol
Fine with me!! I wouldn''t mind being so close to the crown jewels
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results