shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel lovers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 12:06:30 PM
Author: szh07
Beautiful spinels!

Thank you Lori, TL, LD, and BEG for posting your spinels! And of course, thank for Freke for all of your help, and for more shots. Your Darth Vader spinel is so interesting! It reminds me of times when I see models with short, black manicured nails and they look so classy. A little mysterious, certainly confident...does anyone else know the feeling I am talking about? Something like a rebel, with a cause.

BEG- Is the spinel the cushion toward the top of your hand or the round?

TL- I love your pink spinel, and your three lavenders! Any idea what you''re going to do with them?

It''s the big blue-purple round
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2009 12:24:44 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
That''s very pretty Lori,

These are my two favorite spinels, both around 1.5 carats in weight.

The things I love about spinels (yes me) is that they are really undervalued right now, especially in comparison to their cousin, the sapphire, so I can try and get stones that look like sapphires for much less $$$. I also like the sparkle factor and the durability. Although Mahenge''s are not cheap, next to sapphires of similar color, they''re a good buy right now.
I forgot to mention that unlike sapphires, which are almost always treated in some fashion, spinels are not. You have to be careful of synthetic spinels being pawned off as natural, but at least when they are natural, they''re untreated (as far as I know).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Do orange spinels exist?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good question. I don''t know why they wouldn''t, seeing as how I have a peachy one, but I can''t recall seeing one. Then again, my brain is currently fried...

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 7:20:25 PM
Do orange spinels exist?

While orangy red is not hard to find. A spinel that is predominatly orange with an eye pleasing rich hue is pretty rare.

The eye pleasing part is very subjective

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 7:20:25 PM
Do orange spinels exist?
I've seen ones that are an orangey-pink, like a padparadscha, but a more orange padparadscha. There's a couple of orange-pinks on mastercutgem's site.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I am just learning, and until recently, I had never heard of spinel. I like the value for the sparkle, color, and shine.

Laura

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful photos, everyone. I love the pink and purple ones.

I have a question for the gem and e-bay experts. If you buy a cheaper stone that''s not worth certifying, how do you know what you get is what was presented? I understand that the colors can be photoshopped and lighting enhanced, but how do you know you are not getting another stone or a synthetic?

For example, I had my eye on this e-bay pink spinel, I love the color on the photo. Vendor describes as "1.11 CT RARE ''IF'' NEON PINK TUNDURU SPINEL". Vendor has good reviews and sold a lot, but the color is almost too pink and IF? What should I be concerned about here?

Much appreciate all your help!

pink spinel 1001smiles.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 8:11:43 PM
Author: 1001smiles

I have a question for the gem and e-bay experts. If you buy a cheaper stone that''s not worth certifying, how do you know what you get is what was presented? I understand that the colors can be photoshopped and lighting enhanced, but how do you know you are not getting another stone or a synthetic?

For example, I had my eye on this e-bay pink spinel, I love the color on the photo. Vendor describes as ''1.11 CT RARE ''IF'' NEON PINK TUNDURU SPINEL''. Vendor has good reviews and sold a lot, but the color is almost too pink and IF? What should I be concerned about here?

Some ebay sellers will provide a cert from a reputable lab like AIGS, GIT, Burapha, etc. . . for an additional fee (like $25). I would ask the seller about it. That photo looks enhanced.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen peachy pinks but never a pure orange. I wonder if they exist. If spinels exist in all colors, wouldn''t it exist in orange too? On that note, I''ve also never seen a pure orange sapphire that isn''t BE treated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 8:59:21 PM
I''ve seen peachy pinks but never a pure orange. I wonder if they exist. If spinels exist in all colors, wouldn''t it exist in orange too? On that note, I''ve also never seen a pure orange sapphire that isn''t BE treated.
I do believe natural color pure orange sapphires exist, but they are very rare and very expensive. Someone correct me if I''m wrong.

Pure orange (orange without a brown modifier) seems to be a very rare color in nature.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve heard that pure untreated orange sapphires exist but they are very rare, and as such expensive. I don’t believe I’ve seen a pure orange spinel either. Come to think of it, I doubt I’ve seen a pure green spinel as well.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

For example, I had my eye on this e-bay pink spinel, I love the color on the photo. Vendor describes as ''1.11 CT RARE ''IF'' NEON PINK TUNDURU SPINEL''. Vendor has good reviews and sold a lot, but the color is almost too pink and IF? What should I be concerned about here?

An IF Neon pink Tunduru spinel is not cheap. I think it is an enhanced photo of a synthetic spinel.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 8:45:37 AM
Author: Chrono
I’ve heard that pure untreated orange sapphires exist but they are very rare, and as such expensive. I don’t believe I’ve seen a pure orange spinel either. Come to think of it, I doubt I’ve seen a pure green spinel as well.
True orage seems to me to be rather rare in gemstones. There are the bright orange spess and kyanite from Africa, a few very rare sapphires and diamonds, I can''t think of too many true oranges.

Perhaps some of the collectible gems show true orange as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey SZH, I saw this and thought of you! It''s expensive, but so pretty!

Link!

This is really pretty too...

Link

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Nice looking stones TL

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous bracelet!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Freke, those spinels are gorgeous! One of them was posted by D&T earlier in this thread I think...great minds must think alike!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT photos everyone!!

I think my next stone (I mean next year, not the stones already ordered
31.gif
) will be something with Fluor. I''d really like it to be a Spinel. Blue, Purple, Lavender, ...

I''m suprised that I really really like the Grey one Freke posted. I guess the sparkle really makes it pop.
9.gif

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2009 8:39:29 PM

Some ebay sellers will provide a cert from a reputable lab like AIGS, GIT, Burapha, etc. . . for an additional fee (like $25). I would ask the seller about it. That photo looks enhanced.
Thank you for your suggestion, TL, it was right on. I asked the seller to get a cert at his own expense, agreed on Burapha. Today he e-mailed me that the pink "spinel" came back as a tourmaline
6.gif

He said he sent it back to the dealer he got it from and he nicely apologized. I don''t know what''s true here, but he was polite. Good thing we checked! Thank you for the suggestion.
In the mean time, I''ll continue looking for a neon pink stone. Any suggestions welcome!
Thank you all, as always.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m becoming a huge fan of spinel thanks to you folk...my very first CS purchase was a lil 0.35ct violet one from gemrite..(which is now part of my JKT 3 stone ring).

I am very happy that a 6.1mm lavender spinel is currently winging its way to me, after about a year or so of looking
36.gif

and Here''s a photo of my awesome purple spinel from Gene, which is just an awesome gem imho..I need to find a great way to set this guy!

My next go-round will have to be something in the hot pinks, they are just so much fun.
And I would also love to add a decent sized blue at some stage.
Not too much to wish for right?
9.gif

DSC05764. croprepost.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Nice pictures, everyone. Thanks!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that link Imdanny!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2009 2:47:56 AM

Date: 12/7/2009 8:39:29 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, TL, it was right on. I asked the seller to get a cert at his own expense, agreed on Burapha. Today he e-mailed me that the pink ''spinel'' came back as a tourmaline
6.gif

He said he sent it back to the dealer he got it from and he nicely apologized. I don''t know what''s true here, but he was polite. Good thing we checked! Thank you for the suggestion.
In the mean time, I''ll continue looking for a neon pink stone. Any suggestions welcome!
Thank you all, as always.
I''m so glad that you got it verified and also the vendor is honest enough to refund your money. Trust but verify will be the new motto of CS.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Spinel is one of my absolute favorite gems. Part of the appeal is that it remains surprisingly unknown when one considers the great beauty and durability that it has to offer. I've always been attracted to the obscure.

Spinel also has real fire, and the purples, pinks, blues, and stoplight red varieties can be absolutely stunning. I even think there's a certain allure to the steely tone that cheaper blue spinels often have (I don't care for the brownish hue that most red garnets as well as lesser rubies and red spinels have, though). And purple gems have always caught my fancy, and no gem does purple better than spinel (though I will grant that sapphire, tanzanite, and perhaps some rare tourmaline share first place with it).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think fine Amethyst does one of the best purples too, especially those with that wonderful red and/or blue flash. It may not have as much fire as sapphire or spinel but the richness of colour is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results