shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of Opal rings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Opals are super soft and can be easily cracked. That said, I had one from the time I was 11 until I graduated, and it still looked new. And I was a clumsy kid. So I think it really depends on how hard you are on them.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
It depends on a lot of things.
Some kinds, like jelly opals, tend to be a bit stronger. Fake ones are stronger because they use palemers (sp), not water to get the effect. Triplets have a layer of quartz over the top protecting the opal, so they are stronger as well. I have heard that certain "fire" types, are stronger than others as well with the harlequin or mosaic types being the weakest, but I am not sure about that.

However, I love antique jewelry and have seen 300 year old opal rings that don't have a scratch on them, so they can last if well taken care of.

I've had many opal rings over the years that I was not very careful with and all of them are fine.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the look of that one on ebay, anyone know if it''s any good?

As IF my FI won''t freak if I spend money on that right now... heh... even though it''s my money it''s still a lot! I love opals though.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I have an opal ring that I love love love...and I''ve been able to wear it pretty regularly.

As for that opal in particular...I love the setting, but the opal itself doesn''t seem particularly fiery to me...

violet02

Ideal_Rock
See, I don''t know that much about opals... I should read up on them more....

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here's a great example of a fine opal. The play of color is gorgeous in this stone. I really love the darker opals. White opals are ubiquitous--the darker(black)opals are rare.

Opals are soft and have poor toughness. They don't like extreme temperatures, and that can even include going from 65 degree indoor air conditioning to 100 degree heat outside--they can craze(fracture). They should be stored where they can get air/moisture. They're fine for occasional wear(in rings)--or if you're not too hard on your jewelry. They are beautiful! Also, I think its fine to have a softer stone set in a ring--as long as you're not an avid-ring-wearing-rock-climber or anything.
9.gif
You want to be able to see the stone your wearing!

U_3529.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love dark ovals too, but the whiter ones can also be very lovely. I think it's just important to know that the darker ones are more prized, so if you do want a whiter opal, you don't overspend. ETA: I also think the halo on that ring would probably protect it quite a bit. My mom has an estate opal ring that has a rather large chunk missing from it, but if you see the way the ring is set (big square opal sitting up from the setting), you can tell that it would be REALLY easy to nick it. It looks like the opal in the ring you like is sitting a little further into the setting. Although, I have a prong set opal that my mom wore in the 1970's, I wear it now, and there's not a scratch on it. If it's a piece that speaks to you, I say go for it (though I would recommend looking at some loose opals first so you can see what colors you like best - Artcutgems.com has a ton of beautiful opals).

violet02

Ideal_Rock

Man I hate it when you post and it errors out!

Anyways, thanks for all of the great info on opals.

I definitely love the ''fiery'' ones much better than that one I saw on ebay!

Dark ones are GORGEOUS too! That info on temperature change is also really interesting Coati... I''m a bit tough on jewelry though but I''d love an opal someday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results