shape
carat
color
clarity

Four Custom Made Rings...Four Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with a garnet ring being sold on ebay, but couldn''t buy it or one like it anywhere. I sent Juan Lozano in Mexico (that''s Juan of Van Graff) photos of the ring and 4 very inexpensive 8mm colored stones I bought on ebay and he made me 4 rings in the style I love.

One stone (the one I spent most for) is supposedly a cherry red fire opal. The other three are topazes, one in a usual topaz blue, one in teal, and one in green. I am not sure *what* treatment(s) with they have received to obtain their color, but (in this case) I do not care. I love the *COLORS* of the stones and the setting.

I have more photos that show detail, but this one shows all four rings together :).

read.gif

Juan4rings.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another picture of all four rings together:

Juan4rings2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a close-up of the red ring:

Juanredring.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/23/2003 1:38:30 PM AGBF wrote:

The other three are topazes, one in a usual topaz blue, one in teal, and one in green. I am not sure *what* treatment(s) with they have received to obtain their color, but (in this case) I do not care.

----------------

The blue topazes are almost certainly irradiated since virtually all blue topazes on the market are so treated. The green one, however, might be "diffusion" treated. I put "diffusion" in quotes because it's not a true diffusion treatment (which involves infusing elements into the crystal structure to change the color) but instead just a coating. So be careful with it--it may chip off if handled roughly, leaving colorless topaz behind.

In any case, nice rings.
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This view of the red ring shows the unique setting better. I think from this angle one can see how this ring differs from many other (more modern) styles:

Juanredring2.jpg

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/23/2003 1:38:30 PM AGBF wrote:

One stone (the one I spent most for) is supposedly a cherry red fire opal.

----------------

Well, it looks like one to me. If you look closely at the facet junctions, they're not as sharp as you'd get on a garnet. This is because opal is a lot softer than garnet is. Be careful with this one too--not just with dings and chips but heat and sunlight, because fire opals have been known dry out and get cloudy.

But also a nice one.
9.gif
Nice work on the setting, too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 7/23/2003 1:47:55 PM LawGem wrote:

"The green one, however, might be "diffusion" treated. I put "diffusion" in quotes because it's not a true diffusion treatment (which involves infusing elements into the crystal structure to change the color) but instead just a coating. So be careful with it--it may chip off if handled roughly, leaving colorless topaz behind."

Thank you for the warning! I must be careful with the opal, too, I am afraid! Too bad I couldn't afford an 8mm untreated Mogok ruby and an 8mm green Colombian emerald for the red and green rings instead ;-).

read.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops! You were warning me about the opal as I mentioned I had to be careful with it! Opals apparently become *dehydrated*!!!!

read.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/23/2003 1:53:45 PM AGBF wrote:
Thank you for the warning! I must be careful with the opal, too, I am afraid! Too bad I couldn't afford an 8mm untreated Mogok ruby and an 8mm green Colombian emerald for the red and green rings instead ;-).

----------------

Yes, too bad.

9.gif
Of course, as I note in another post, you may not be able to get Mogok rubies anymore, treated or otherwise, because of the import ban that's going into effect.
sad.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/23/2003 1:55
6.gif
5 PM AGBF wrote:
Whoops! You were warning me about the opal as I mentioned I had to be careful with it! Opals apparently become *dehydrated*!!!!
----------------

This is what happens when two people are posting over each other.

2.gif
I didn't mean to interrupt your parade of picture up there either...

9.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Yummy, AGBF! They look like lollipops! Very pretty and they look like they will be very fun to wear!
appl.gif

james100

Rough_Rock
The setting looks lovely,and I am also looking at getting some colored stones to be set. How much were these and how could I contact Juan
wavey.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Could you tell me the seller's ID on ebay of the one you bought the darker blue one from? (second from right). I'm looking for this color.

The green and red one are gorgeous!

Also interested in how much you paid for the settings and how to contact the person you used.

thanks
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, those are so FUN!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss these? Do you wear them often? The side veiw is so fluid and natural, very nice.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 12:48:24 AM
Author: Matatora
How did I miss these? Do you wear them often? The side veiw is so fluid and natural, very nice.

Thank you for the compliment. I am afraid that I do not wear them (or any other jewelry except my wedding band) frequently. What size finger do you have? I bet it is too small for one of my rings!

Deb ;-)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings, AGBF!! I love the setting. What fun to have it in different colors. Any hand shots?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 9:08:07 AM
Author: Catmom
Gorgeous rings, AGBF!! I love the setting. What fun to have it in different colors. Any hand shots?

Not yet. I owed Matatora a ring, and she chose one of these. She can model it when she receives it ;-). (She has pretty hands, much better for showing off a ring.)

Deb

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Miss Deb, you flatter me so!
emembarrassed.gif

I am so excited!
9.gif
Such an unexpected treat during end of the semester rush!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 12:44:32 PM
Author: Matatora
Miss Deb, you flatter me so!
emembarrassed.gif

I am so excited!
9.gif
Such an unexpected treat during end of the semester rush!

WOW! You are so lucky! Post many hand shots.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
WOW the stones are amazing! And the style of the ring is so classic, I LOVE them!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
hand shots please!!!
18.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the confusion, hand shots here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results