shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking about safety and the Internet...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you guys think of social sites like Facebook, Tweeter, etc., where more and more people are using it to promote their businesses? Because you''re promoting your business, you *have to* use your real name, and your picture is there for all to see. Then if someone goes to your website, they can look up your address (if you work from home, hopefully you''re using a P.O. box) - not to mention it''s also a trend lately for people to disclose things about their family and even post pictures of their children, pets, etc.

Based on everything we''ve been discussing here this seems like a pretty risky thing to do...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only know about Facebook but it seems MOST people set their profiles to private. You have to be their "friend" and approved to see their info and pictures. Seems safer than people who have wedding websites or even personal ones.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Facebook and MySpace can be effective marketing tools for the right types of businesses. I know several clothing stores and companies that promote themselves on MySpace and Facebook with great success. I think it''s probably pointless for other types of businesses to use either for promotion.

If you have a business that can be marketed on MySpace or Facebook, I think it''s worth the "risk." I realize that the internet can be a dangerous place, but how many adults are truly targeted as a result of their MySpace/Facebook/Pricescope pages/posts? I bet it is a low, low number. I think real life is a lot more risky than the internet.

It just seems a lot more likely that someone will see me in real life and just follow me home and try to harm me or rob me than it is for someone to look me up on the internet and try to find me. Maybe I''m wrong, but that''s my opinion!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 8:39:33 AM
Author: thing2of2
I think Facebook and MySpace can be effective marketing tools for the right types of businesses. I know several clothing stores and companies that promote themselves on MySpace and Facebook with great success. I think it''s probably pointless for other types of businesses to use either for promotion.

If you have a business that can be marketed on MySpace or Facebook, I think it''s worth the ''risk.'' I realize that the internet can be a dangerous place, but how many adults are truly targeted as a result of their MySpace/Facebook/Pricescope pages/posts? I bet it is a low, low number. I think real life is a lot more risky than the internet.

It just seems a lot more likely that someone will see me in real life and just follow me home and try to harm me or rob me than it is for someone to look me up on the internet and try to find me. Maybe I''m wrong, but that''s my opinion!
I was thinking this too yesterday. You can''t cover your face or hide your vehicle when you go to the supermarket. Sure you could void your self of jewelry before you leave the house etc but

I have a myspace and a facebook. Both are set to private and I only except friends that I know, not just a friend hoarder going for the numbers.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all about risk tolerance. You can go to one extreme and completely avoid any risk by never posting on a public forum or submitting your c/c info online or heck, even in a store. Or you can go all out and post pics of yourself, your kids, etc. and make your profile public for all the world to see...or anything in between. It is all about an individual''s comfort level. I personally have a pretty high risk tolerance for sites like those, although I do keep my profiles set to private. I really don''t think anyone would want to steal my identity (knock wood) and it''s not like I''m famous or have enemies who would purposely try to make my life hell using one of these sites. If someone tried to do either of those things it would have to be totally random. I really like facebook, for that matter, it has helped me re-connect with lots of people I knew years and years ago before I moved away and got married. It is entirely possible that I would have absolutely no social life without having gotten on myspace and facebook about a year ago, LOL!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Well facebook requires that you use your real name even if it isn't a business. You can only sign up with a valid school email address and your name has to be valid (at least that's how it was when I signed up a few years ago).

Now Myspace is different. My first and last name are not real on Myspace even though my 40 friends (LOL) are all family (few friends) and know my first/last name. But I changed it so that I'm not searchable and even if you do find my page whatever name you see is not my real name. Facebook I couldn't help but I don't use it because I don't think its user friendly (side note: what I really hate is that you can read every single comment that other people have left to other people that are not in your network. That way TMI.)

I think you need to be safe at all times. Whether on the internet or out in public.

ETA: Forgot to add my opinion. I love myspace because it keeps me in touch with family that I don't normally talk to every day. I have two cousins stationed in Iraq that have pages and they get on once or twice every three months or so. It's cool to be able to leave them messages and get responses back. It's also neat when they upload some of their photos.

As for businesses, I'm still a little old-fashioned in that I like to do business with compaines that have a user friendly website but not a Myspace page. I can't associate Myspace with business (unless its music) but I know that these companies have been very successful.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t do facebook for that very reason.
MySpace holds no interest for me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 8:38:52 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I only know about Facebook but it seems MOST people set their profiles to private. You have to be their ''friend'' and approved to see their info and pictures. Seems safer than people who have wedding websites or even personal ones.

Agreed. Mine is set to private and although I post pictures, etc. I don''t have my phone number or address or contact info other than my email. I have to approve anyone to look at my profile first, so I think it''s relatively safe. Safer than posting personal info on PS at least!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 9:48:35 AM
Author: fieryred33143
Well facebook requires that you use your real name even if it isn''t a business. You can only sign up with a valid school email address and your name has to be valid (at least that''s how it was when I signed up a few years ago).

Not anymore...you can sign up with any email address now.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:08:08 AM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 11/18/2008 8:38:52 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

I only know about Facebook but it seems MOST people set their profiles to private. You have to be their ''friend'' and approved to see their info and pictures. Seems safer than people who have wedding websites or even personal ones.

Agreed. Mine is set to private and although I post pictures, etc. I don''t have my phone number or address or contact info other than my email. I have to approve anyone to look at my profile first, so I think it''s relatively safe. Safer than posting personal info on PS at least!
Ditto, the most they could do is send me spammy emails which get tossed into the trash anyway. Plus my last name is so hard to spell that I''m nearly impossible to search for, making random sketchy people adding me as a friend highly unlikely. Sometimes even my good friends have a hard time finding me!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
When all of this went down with Gypsy, I jumped on the same fear-bandwagon and was all about "locking" myself and my information up...

But, as the shock and awe of the situation mellowed down, I started to really think about how I feel and you know what...if someone really wanted to get a hold of me, then they are going to figure out away regardless of how "savvy" I think I am, or how "safe" I feel....

I have a myspace account, and have had one for going on 5 years now. I don''t use it for business connections, but rather socially to reconnect with friends, or keep in touch with family that is out of state. My page contains pictures of myself, my husband, my friends, our dogs...I''ve posted blogs about whats happening in our family and our lives, the vacations we''ve taken, and things we''ve done locally, even the movies I like or good books I suggest others should read...and I''ve never once been "cyber stalked" or felt uncomfortable in the least. And, until extremely recently, I''ve never had my profile on private either. Currently, my page has been viewed over 8,000 times.

Every day I take risks with my life, and my personal safety. For example...I drive on the highway...I eat food other people have cooked...I touch things in stores and outside, and I have no idea where any of those things have been...I go to work when it''s dark and park in a parking garage and walk alone into my building... True, some of the things I do in my life assume a greater risk than others...but, a risk is risk.

It all boils down to the fact that I am fully enjoying my time "here". I like PS...and sometimes I might give out to much information, but oh well. I like having a Myspace page for my friends and family to see and leave comments...and if someone were to get a hold of all that information that maybe shouldn''t, then thats the price I''m going to pay...I like eatting out, and if Joe-Shmo has a cold and coughs on my salad and I get sick, I hope it was worth it....

We all live in an age where the computer is king...being self awear is important, but don''t lose sight of the fact that the chances are probably less than you even know.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2008 9:48:35 AM
Author: fieryred33143
Well facebook requires that you use your real name even if it isn't a business. You can only sign up with a valid school email address and your name has to be valid (at least that's how it was when I signed up a few years ago).

Now Myspace is different. My first and last name are not real on Myspace even though my 40 friends (LOL) are all family (few friends) and know my first/last name. But I changed it so that I'm not searchable and even if you do find my page whatever name you see is not my real name. Facebook I couldn't help but I don't use it because I don't think its user friendly (side note: what I really hate is that you can read every single comment that other people have left to other people that are not in your network. That way TMI.)

I think you need to be safe at all times. Whether on the internet or out in public.

ETA: Forgot to add my opinion. I love myspace because it keeps me in touch with family that I don't normally talk to every day. I have two cousins stationed in Iraq that have pages and they get on once or twice every three months or so. It's cool to be able to leave them messages and get responses back. It's also neat when they upload some of their photos.

As for businesses, I'm still a little old-fashioned in that I like to do business with compaines that have a user friendly website but not a Myspace page. I can't associate Myspace with business (unless its music) but I know that these companies have been very successful.
I am so with you on this. And with strmrd. In all the times I've heard of MySpace or Facebook neither one ever interested me...and because I come from a corporate background I tend to resist the idea of any business having a page in any of these sites (except for very creative businesses like music).

BUT - I need to clarify that what I was talking about was a business having one of these pages in ADDITION to their regular website. It seems like more and more businesses are using them as an additional way to get their name out there.

ETA: you all make very good points - if someone wants to find you, they will. I think having profiles set to private so that you could let people "in" (or not) is essential if you're going to be on one of these sites...

I have a myspace and a facebook. My myspace is private and I only add friends-- still I don''t have job information or my last name on there at all- I even use a fake last name.

**SIDE NOTE** One of my friends applied for a job. When she was waiting to be interviewed at the office, she heard music coming from the receptionists computer- she looked over and saw that the receptionist had looked up her myspace profile (either through name or email) and was sending it to her potential boss. She DID NOT get the job. Ever since I heard that, I make it impossible for people to find me.**

Anyways, and facebook- when I signed up was college students only. I was weary of adding my last name, but did anyways. I still only add people I know, and am really careful on information I post!!
37.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia, I agree with you. We all take risks everyday. I am MORE likely to get robbed by a stranger than someone I meet on the internet IMHO. It is hard for me b/c when I joined I was just newly engaged. Over the years I feel like I have developed friendships because I have been through so many life changes (and many of the members have gone through the same ones, during the same time). I love sharing things (like photos of my daughter) with these people. It is hard to think about quitting cold turkey.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have both, but I rarely use myspace. I have gotten creepy messages from strangers on myspace, but never on Facebook. Both of my profiles are set to very private, and I only accept friend requests from people I know.

Swedish Bean I have heard stories of people not getting jobs based on their pages as well. I for one, would never put up any information on either page that would harm my chances, because the world doesn''t need to know my every move. But, I have several friends that once they started interviewing took down all of their pictures and changed their profiles to be more "mature."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Kathryn, although my myspace profile is public, but I don''t give any information about where my address is, or anything like that. It''s just rather unlikely that someone''s going to come looking for little ole me. I think it''s a bit silly to hide from the world, whatever happens happens. And it is more likely that you''ll be vandalized locally someone breaking into your car etc. You can''t shut the world out, and you never know, you might make friends (like all the wonderful folks on here I get to talk to).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you close a FACEBOOK or MY space account if you open one?? I guess it is something to think about before considering doing. Everyone has valid points. . .

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:11:44 AM
Author: Skippy123
Can you close a FACEBOOK or MY space account if you open one?? I guess it is something to think about before considering doing. Everyone has valid points. . .

Yes, pretty sure you can close both accounts easily.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:42:27 AM
Author: swedish bean
I have a myspace and a facebook. My myspace is private and I only add friends-- still I don''t have job information or my last name on there at all- I even use a fake last name.

**SIDE NOTE** One of my friends applied for a job. When she was waiting to be interviewed at the office, she heard music coming from the receptionists computer- she looked over and saw that the receptionist had looked up her myspace profile (either through name or email) and was sending it to her potential boss. She DID NOT get the job. Ever since I heard that, I make it impossible for people to find me.**

Anyways, and facebook- when I signed up was college students only. I was weary of adding my last name, but did anyways. I still only add people I know, and am really careful on information I post!!
37.gif
That is why I don''t have coworkers as "friends" on myspace. I had one and was going to post some photos of my FI''s friend''s birthday party in a night club. Before doing so, I deleted the coworker as my "friend." I realized I don''t need coworkers knowing about my life except that the weekend was nice, Monday is here, the weather is great, traffic is bad, and how about them Dolphins? He hasn''t noticed that he was deleted as he''s one of those people with 250+ friends and only probably knows about 20 of them LOL.

As for a Myspace page in addition to the regular website, I still don''t like it. To me (from what I''ve seen) Myspace is all about drama and seeing a company''s page makes me feel funny about the company (again unless its entertainment company or for promotions to win stuff).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, on the subject of kid pictures: I don''t really get why many people think it''s a terrible idea to post a picture of your kid on the internet. I kind of think all kids look the same, so I don''t see the big deal. No, I don''t have kids, but if I do, I''m sure I''ll post pics of them on my MySpace, Facebook, etc., and on here.

Again, it just seems a lot more risky to let your kid get on a school bus by themselves or go ride bikes by themselves or whatever than to post a picture of them online.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:16:47 AM
Author: thing2of2
Oh, on the subject of kid pictures: I don''t really get why many people think it''s a terrible idea to post a picture of your kid on the internet. I kind of think all kids look the same, so I don''t see the big deal. No, I don''t have kids, but if I do, I''m sure I''ll post pics of them on my MySpace, Facebook, etc., and on here.
Posting pictures of kids is all about common sense. I''ve metioned here on PS that I don''t post photos of my kids on this or other forums, BUT I do have a Facebook account and have a photo album there. But then again, I only have 10 friends on there and my membership is set to private, so those pictures are seen by only a select group of individuals.

Personally, I''m not a fan of either Facebook or Myspace, but ended up starting my Facebook account because of family members moving to other parts of the country. I never post comments up on my "wall," and wouldn''t hesitate to delete the account if my family members moved back home after school
2.gif
I''m just not that into it and think it''s odd to try and collect as many friends as possible.

Oh, and not all kids look the same. Mine are way cuter!
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have either but it''s mainly as I don''t have the time to post on them and I know that I wouldn''t be bothered putting up photos etc.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I have two accounts - one personal and one for work. My personal account only contains my e-mail as contact info and the city where I live and the one I grew up in - I don''t even list my phone number, though many of my friends do. It does have photos, but these photos are set so only my friends can see. Also, my privacy settings are about as high as you can make them. I have a ridiculous number of friends on facebook, but every single person is someone I''ve met in real life. I got my FB at the end of college, so it''s not uncommon for folks "friend" most of the class, a group or club, etc - the numbers add up really quickly. Even that said, I''m aware that I don''t have a close relationship with all of these people, so I do try to keep my info pretty safe. Nothing is on my FB page that I think it would be inappropriate for my boss to see.

My second account is for my students - I post assignments, etc on it and they use it as a secondary e-mail for me. This profile has pretty much no privacy settings so students can find me easily. My contact info is my work e-mail, my office address, etc... so yes, if someone wanted to stalk me after class, they certainly could, but that info is already available on the internet via the school''s website.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never visited MySpace or Facebook, so I can''t speak about people promoting their businesses, as you first mentioned, Claudinam. I have been thinking about internet safety lately. I wondered why we often feel perfectly safe posting details about our lives and maybe even pictures of our kids. I''m not juding anyone who has done these things -- just curious as to why some people feel okay about it while others don''t.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t do any of that just because I don''t want people to know who or where I am. If I wanted to stay in contact with people from high school, I would still have their number.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have a myspace profile that I began with the intent of using to keep in touch with friends out of state, but is now used to promote my photography. I honestly think that cowering behind the computer, being afraid of stalkers, is a lot more stupid and pointless than carrying my keys point-out between my fingers while walking through the parking garage to my car.

If your paranoid, it will happen. If you let yourself live, it is less likely, because you will draw less attention by those that are looking for the weak.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:17:49 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I have a myspace profile that I began with the intent of using to keep in touch with friends out of state, but is now used to promote my photography. I honestly think that cowering behind the computer, being afraid of stalkers, is a lot more stupid and pointless than carrying my keys point-out between my fingers while walking through the parking garage to my car.

If your paranoid, it will happen. If you let yourself live, it is less likely, because you will draw less attention by those that are looking for the weak.
I agree! I use Facebook as a tool to promote my business. I also have a group on facebook for my business, where my name and location is displayed. Not too worried about having my real name, or pic(s) posted, potentially attracting "stalkers" or creepers... then again, my bodyguard is a pretty big guy!! (which subconciously , makes me feel safe!)
31.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think business that use Facebook or Myspace to promote their business are genius. Do you know how much time kids spend on these sites?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:07:07 PM
Author: Haven
I think business that use Facebook or Myspace to promote their business are genius. Do you know how much time kids spend on these sites?
Why..thank you!! lol It does seem to work well!!
It''s all about marketing..success that is! If you know how to market yourself..you will succeed!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:36:36 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 11/18/2008 10:17:49 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I agree! I use Facebook as a tool to promote my business. I also have a group on facebook for my business, where my name and location is displayed. Not too worried about having my real name, or pic(s) posted, potentially attracting ''stalkers'' or creepers... then again, my bodyguard is a pretty big guy!! (which subconciously , makes me feel safe!)
31.gif
I am curious to know why you would need a bodyguard Beau?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results