shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone broke into our house!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, what happened to us, I guess, is a fear for many who are selling their home and do not live there at the same time!

The house we moved out of, that hasn''t been put on the market, was broken into! We moved on June 1st, but left stuff, like our BROKEN plasma TV and someone busted in the back window and swipped it from the garage.

What do we do now? The huge problem and this is HUGE is we live in the middle of nowhere and the ONLY people that drive on our private drive are in the house at the end of the drive and the had a massive party last week with drunken teenagers everywhere. The mom drives school buses and hosted the end-of-the-year party so I''m almost entirely sure someone from her party took the TV.

We do not even have any paperwork for the TV.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that you were broken into-that''s awful. It definitely sounds suspicious that there was a huge party near the time when you got broken into.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get it? It was broken anyway.
33.gif

Either file for insurance, or just fix the window and move on. In spite of your suspicions about your neighbor''s party goers, you have no proof. What would you expect the neighbor to do?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit confused along with purrfectpear. Your deductible for insurance would likely be higher than the value of a broken tv. It''s unfortunate and I''m sorry this happened. You could always ask the neighbor if they noticed any stray kids wandering about.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The neighors TOOK our garbage cans the day after the party and then put them back, so they were around our home and their fingerprints are on the cans! (my DH saw our cans in their driveway so we know it was them.)

We're calling the police so the window can be fixed. I guess our LCD monitor was taken too! Probably more stuff that DH hasn't discovered yet.

My question is the Plasma CAN be fixed with a $600 circuit board so it's just in need of some TLC. Should we get replacement value of the cost minus the circuit board? The TV was thousands of dollars and we had planned to fix it, but hadn't moved it yet since we're not using it right now.

Either way, my post is just a fret one as my DH just called me. Hopefully my post doesn't degress into others' rudeness. There is something we can do about it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly, there was a theft involved. The house was broken into and even if insurance will not cover the plasma & LCD monitor, there is a chance the prints we get from the back door, door handles, and garage (guess they left that cracked up) will lead up to a person who''s had a previous record. Clearly we should act on this either way.

Oddly, our neighbor is a school bus driver so she''s not the type to know thieves, but her daugher is. During the party, I saw a younger woman peeing on the side of the driveway. REAL classy, huh?

I''m very upset over this and do not want to begin having to defend myself here over my upset or future actions regarding this.

Thanks SDL for your supportive post.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, MC. I certainly didn''t mean to be rude and I don''t think anyone else did either. Speaking for myself, I can only say that I was confused by your post and unsure of what kind of help you were looking for as there were not many details in your first post. It''s clear that you are very upset by this. Anyway, my apologies if you were offended by my post. My intention was only to understand the situation further. You and SDL are correct. Regardless of if your tv is worth $100 or $10,000. Stealing is stealing and it is wrong.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 2:50:51 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I don't get it? It was broken anyway.
33.gif

Either file for insurance, or just fix the window and move on. In spite of your suspicions about your neighbor's party goers, you have no proof. What would you expect the neighbor to do?
But our house was broken into. Clearly you've never had a crime committed against you!

The TV was broken but could be fixed with a $600 circuit board so it isn't worthless. The reason I stated it is broken is because it meant whoever took it wouldn't reap any profit from it (say they took it into a pawnshop). We took it to a TV repair place and paid $100 to have diagnostics run on it! It still has some value in the right hands.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting right now since I'm so upset.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, MC!!

How did you find out about the robbery? Do you have an alarm system or did a neighbor call you? It sounds like they only took a couple of things, which I guess is good, but it sounds like the house was pretty empty. I hope that print dusting leads to something...I''m so sorry!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
((((((((MC)))))))). You poor thing! How dare someone violate your house and your possessions. I think the hardest part of being a victim of these kinds of crimes is that no one can feel the raw emotion you feel in the moment. With so much exposure to the extreme violence, people barely blink an eye at theft/vandalism. I can see where you might feel people are judging you or not as sympathetic as you would like.

In my area of the world, unfortunately, not much would be done about this crime. Because there was no violence, or major damage, you might hear people telling you to "move on" often. If this is something you feel you need/want to persue you have every right too and I don''t think anyone here at Pricescope is going to judge you for it! I hope you find a way to feel comfortable again soon, because I know things like this happening often make you leary of people in general.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 3:29:39 PM
Author: MC

But our house was broken into. Clearly you've never had a crime committed against you!

The TV was broken but could be fixed with a $600 circuit board so it isn't worthless. The reason I stated it is broken is because it meant whoever took it wouldn't reap any profit from it (say they took it into a pawnshop). We took it to a TV repair place and paid $100 to have diagnostics run on it! It still has some value in the right hands.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting right now since I'm so upset.
MC
sorry to hear your house got broken into. your TV may not be worth fixing even if you get it back cuz plasma are much cheaper now..

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear you got broken into. How horrible. Take care!
sadwave.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sad business--invasion of property and personal space. Take it easy, MC.

Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry Michelle. Good thoughts sent your way. I hope they find them; take care.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sucks. Having someone break into your house is just a huge sense of violation, regardless of the price/value of the items stolen. I''d second San Diego Lady and regardless of your suspicions (which may be right on) let the police do their job.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s so terrifying! I hope the police are able to do something about it!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s terrible! I hope they catch whoever did it!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry this happened to you! My house (actually just the detached garage) was broken into a few years ago, and I remember be so surprised by the raging anger I felt toward whoever the #$%# was who violated my home. They made off with a few hundred dollars worth of tools and a really cool barbecue grill. I couldn''t believe that it happened some time in broad daylight while we were at work! I remember frantically running into the house to make sure my dogs were ok. Luckily, the garage was the only place that they had broken into.

Know that feeling very angry and violated are normal right now, and give yourself time for those feelings to calm down. Focus on making the calls and doing the paperwork right now because that''s really the only constructive thing you can do. I know it must be very frustrating to have a feeling that you know who the culprit is, and yet you can''t do anything about it other than express your suspicion to the police officer, who can''t do anything without proof to act on.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So sorry MC, that stinks.
29.gif
Hoping you get things sorted out. Best of luck!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. The kids and I spent three hours out at the park with friends which really helped with moral!

My husband went to the house today and when he went inside saw the window was broken. I plan to do the interior cleanup next week, but I''m not sure about being there alone! Luckily our leaf blower and other yard tools weren''t taken and the only other item worth value - the riding lawn mower - is too big to be driven off in a car.

Mrs Jam - sorry to hear of your breakin. I just read that most breakins occur during the day as that is most often when people are at work. Basically, the robbers go door-to-door with flyers and knock on doors and find their targets that way. Very scary! I never answer the door when people I don''t know ring the bell, but it sounds like it''s better to do so!

I guess the only problem we have right now is that we had family visiting all weekend so we didn''t go into the house since last Friday so we cannot pin-point the robbery''s exact date.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that the neighors who had the party took our garbage cans and used them for their party trash and then returned them to the house after the trash was collected. That would be the time in which someone looked into our garage window and saw the TV and monitor!
7.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
That''s awful! I''m so sorry to hear about this. I hope everything gets sorted out soon.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about this - you are totally reasonable to be feeling violated and upset and angry.

I really hope it can be resolved in some way, and that you and your family can get past the emotional trauma soon.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 3:29:39 PM

Date: 6/24/2008 2:50:51 PM
I don''t get it? It was broken anyway.
33.gif

Either file for insurance, or just fix the window and move on. In spite of your suspicions about your neighbor''s party goers, you have no proof. What would you expect the neighbor to do?
But our house was broken into. Clearly you''ve never had a crime committed against you!

The TV was broken but could be fixed with a $600 circuit board so it isn''t worthless. The reason I stated it is broken is because it meant whoever took it wouldn''t reap any profit from it (say they took it into a pawnshop). We took it to a TV repair place and paid $100 to have diagnostics run on it! It still has some value in the right hands.

Maybe I shouldn''t be posting right now since I''m so upset.
You couldn''t be more wrong about that. I have been broken into, while I was living with an LAPD detective. Some jewelry was taken, and a gun. We called the local police (we lived in Hawthorne at the time, so the Sheriff arrived - not an LAPD area). The back window was broken, the sill had been pried with a crowbar, the thief had cut himself on the broken glass, bled AND LEFT A PERFECT PRINT. The Sheriff quite honestly said "we can print this, but the chances of actually catching the perp are nill".

Now maybe you live in a much smaller town. Maybe your local PD actually has time to worry about small time thefts. If so, count yourself lucky. I think SanDiegoLady can confirm that the caseload in a large cities is such that unless there was bodily harm, your little break in would be worked for about one shift.
20.gif
In a town where a rape occurs every 30 seconds, there are over 1000 homicides in a year, a bank is robbed at least 4 times a day, you can imagine that no one is going to bother with a broken TV and some garbage cans.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 10:43:26 PM

Now maybe you live in a much smaller town. Maybe your local PD actually has time to worry about small time thefts. If so, count yourself lucky. I think SanDiegoLady can confirm that the caseload in a large cities is such that unless there was bodily harm, your little break in would be worked for about one shift.
20.gif
In a town where a rape occurs every 30 seconds, there are over 1000 homicides in a year, a bank is robbed at least 4 times a day, you can imagine that no one is going to bother with a broken TV and some garbage cans.

Holy unsupportive poster batman!

Robbery makes a person feel violated and vulnerable. You may have been nonplussed after you were robbed. Good for you. People handle things differently. MC was clearly upset - why are you trying to invalidate and belittle her feelings?

ETA - I'm sorry that happened to you MC!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 11:24:29 PM
Author: littlelysser

20.gif

Holy unsupportive poster batman!

Robbery makes a person feel violated and vulnerable. You may have been nonplussed after you were robbed. Good for you. People handle things differently. MC was clearly upset - why are you trying to invalidate and belittle her feelings?
I think a little understanding would go a long way.
5.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing. I recognize that we all respond to life''s crisis in different ways. Perhaps my years of constant exposure to police business has innured me to the trauma that OP is experiencing.

I am not belittling her post. I was merely pointing out that this is going to be small potatoes to the PD. She is certainly entitled to whatever emotion she chooses to put into this experience. I am sorry if I appeared insensitive.
1.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 11:57:56 PM
Thank you for sharing. I recognize that we all respond to life''s crisis in different ways. Perhaps my years of constant exposure to police business has innured me to the trauma that OP is experiencing.

I am not belittling her post. I was merely pointing out that this is going to be small potatoes to the PD. She is certainly entitled to whatever emotion she chooses to put into this experience. I am sorry if I appeared insensitive.
1.gif

1.gif
. Like Lisa said, a bit of understanding goes a long way!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You couldn''t be more wrong about that. I have been broken into, while I was living with an LAPD detective. Some jewelry was taken, and a gun. We called the local police (we lived in Hawthorne at the time, so the Sheriff arrived - not an LAPD area). The back window was broken, the sill had been pried with a crowbar, the thief had cut himself on the broken glass, bled AND LEFT A PERFECT PRINT. The Sheriff quite honestly said ''we can print this, but the chances of actually catching the perp are nill''.

20.gif
Sorry you''ve turned so cold-hearted due to so many negative experiences.

Your city of Hawthorne is not comparable to where I live. Last census conducted in Hawthorne in 2000 had counted 84,000 people there with a poverty rate of 18%. I can see how that would impact the reaction of the police and why you''re so unfriendly by what you''ve witnessed. I live outside of a metropolitan city where the population, according to the same time 2000 census counted as under 9,000 people and only a 4% poverty rate. Less crime, less rape, less police overwhelmed with major crimes than Hawthorne. Different climate, different atmosphere.

Your city sounds like a crummy place to live. Regardless of my TV being stolen, I''m happy to live where I do. Your posts truely help put that in perspective.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 1:08:10 AM

You couldn''t be more wrong about that. I have been broken into, while I was living with an LAPD detective. Some jewelry was taken, and a gun. We called the local police (we lived in Hawthorne at the time, so the Sheriff arrived - not an LAPD area). The back window was broken, the sill had been pried with a crowbar, the thief had cut himself on the broken glass, bled AND LEFT A PERFECT PRINT. The Sheriff quite honestly said ''we can print this, but the chances of actually catching the perp are nill''.

20.gif
Sorry you''ve turned so cold-hearted due to so many negative experiences.

Your city of Hawthorne is not comparable to where I live. Last census conducted in Hawthorne in 2000 had counted 84,000 people there with a poverty rate of 18%. I can see how that would impact the reaction of the police and why you''re so unfriendly by what you''ve witnessed. I live outside of a metropolitan city where the population, according to the same time 2000 census counted as under 9,000 people and only a 4% poverty rate. Less crime, less rape, less police overwhelmed with major crimes than Hawthorne. Different climate, different atmosphere.

Your city sounds like a crummy place to live. Regardless of my TV being stolen, I''m happy to live where I do. Your posts truely help put that in perspective.
Hey now...easy...we have some other PSers who live in Hawthorne!!
2.gif

MC, sorry about your break in. I do see what PP is saying (living in LA myself and having a brother who is a cop who pretty much says the same thing PP''s police officer said to her - and my brother is a pretty compassionate guy). But since you do not live in lovely crime infested L.A., here''s hoping that something can be done. I know where I live (which is a nice suburb of LA and has a good PD), I''d just make the insurance claim and deal with it. However, in your case, you know who did it so you''re way ahead of the game!

Good luck!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 1:29:29 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Hey now...easy...we have some other PSers who live in Hawthorne!!
2.gif

MC, sorry about your break in. I do see what PP is saying (living in LA myself and having a brother who is a cop who pretty much says the same thing PP''s police officer said to her - and my brother is a pretty compassionate guy). But since you do not live in lovely crime infested L.A., here''s hoping that something can be done. I know where I live (which is a nice suburb of LA and has a good PD), I''d just make the insurance claim and deal with it. However, in your case, you know who did it so you''re way ahead of the game!

Good luck!
Sorry! None of the other Hawthornians have been so blunt, so I take back that living there automatically creates negativity. Guess it just does for some. . .

Anyhow, it''s not the time to be posting as it''s 10:35 and I''m half asleep! We''ll work with the insurance either way to see what we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results