shape
carat
color
clarity

Some Revolution stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Ok, you all asked for it. Here they are. Please be kind though. My photography skills are pretty slim and very few of these pics are actually representational of the stones. I didn''t do any color correction on these and the lighting is iffy. I really need to practice...

First up is one of the best stones I have cut in a while. Are you ready for this?

A Spanish Sphalerite that weighs in just shy of 50 carats!

PortSphalerite.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Next up, another Spanish Sphalerite. This one is not quite as big. It is a mere 24 carats. This one and the one in the previous post face up much cleaner than they appear in the photos. One other little note: I have in my possesion, a piece of sphalerite that will cut a stone of approximately 100 carats

OvalSphalerite.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Next we have a very fine Nigerian aquamarine. This particular stone is more on the greenish side. Park Lane cut, no table. Quite beautiful

NigAqua.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Lets look at a few Nigerian Spessartites

Here is a little oval. PERFECT fanta color.

FantaSpessOval.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Another Nigerian Spess. This one is a deeper orange.

OrangeSpessRound.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
This stone was cut from a crystal of Pakistani topaz. The crystal showed a nice piky-peach color but the resulting stone is near colorless. The cool thing about this one is the cut. It is a modification of another design, somewhat simplified and makes a really cool stone.

PakTopaz.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Ok, time for some sphenes.

First is a trillion. No table. Interesting result.

PakSPheneTril.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
A little round Pakistani sphene (forgive the fingerprints on the stone)

RoundPakSphene.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
and finally, a very nice oval. This is a really nice stone

PakSpheneOval.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
This stone is a realatively new find of opal from the Welo region of Ethiopia. Though the camera doesn't capture it, the fire and colorplay in this stone is spectacular. The cut is pretty cool too. It is a one-off cut done without a pattern. Think of it as a cut-as-you-go original.

WeloOpalRound.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
This is a very nice little red sunstone from Oregon. This was cut for a client.

RedSunstone.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Well, there you have it. Again, please forgive the photography. I am working on it and it will get better.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what an amazing & unique collection! I esp. love your aquamarine & opal!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! You certainly have a talent for cutting. The opal is my favourite, very unusual, and I am not normally an opal gal. Love the sunstone too, bit fan of those.

36.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I can just imagine how fiery those sphenes are just because that stone just doesn''t photograph well normally. I like the opal too.

Laura

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I have about 15 stones (some of my better ones) on display at a gallery in a little town called Paonia including another opal (and I have about 15 more pieces of that rough), some tourmalines, mt signature sphene and a few other goodies.

I am actually pretty disappointed with the photos of the stones. Taking accurate pictues of gemstones is an art unto itself. I think I am going to have to get a different camera...

Anyway, thank you all for your comments. Some of us are lucky enough to find a true passion, something we get pure and unadultered joy out of. For me cutting gems is that passion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pictures. Wow, that opal is interesting.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 1:06:25 AM
Author: Revolution
This stone was cut from a crystal of Pakistani topaz. The crystal showed a nice piky-peach color but the resulting stone is near colorless. The cool thing about this one is the cut. It is a modification of another design, somewhat simplified and makes a really cool stone.
Very interesting cut on that stone! I
30.gif
it!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 1:11:22 AM
This stone is a realatively new find of opal from the Welo region of Ethiopia. Though the camera doesn''t capture it, the fire and colorplay in this stone is spectacular. The cut is pretty cool too. It is a one-off cut done without a pattern. Think of it as a cut-as-you-go original.
I love me some opals and that one looks to be a beaut!

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/6/2010 1:01:07 AM
Next we have a very fine Nigerian aquamarine. This particular stone is more on the greenish side. Park Lane cut, no table. Quite beautiful
Very nice stone!

--Joshua

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting cut on that stone! I
30.gif
it!
The topaz really is much better in person. It is what Jeff Gram would call an "Illusion Cut". It has a minimal number of facets but creates the illusion of many more facets than are actually present. The interaction of the different angles is quite intriguing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh wow Jeff! those sphalerites are really gorgeous
30.gif
Some day I''d love to have one (not to set just to have and look at)

-A

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Serenity. I got a parcel of really nice aqua from my Nigerian contact. I have two rather large pieces in the parcel. One will be cut in Jeff Gram''s Signature #4 (a very nice trillion originally designed for aqua)that should yield around 15-20 carats and a larger pice to be cut into Jeff Gram''s Utopia which is a stylized pear. It should yield from 25 to 30 carats. I think both will end up being world-class gems.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Hi Arc,
I was lucky enough to come into a parcel of large Spanish sphalerite crystal and I am ecstatic! The material is rare enough to begin with but the size is what is really special. The portugese cut stone has a minor flaw on the table so i am seriously considering recutting it. I will lose a little carat weight but the result will be worth it. As I mentioned in the post, I have several more pieces of this material, one of which is very large. I am trying to find a suitable piece of rough to do a test cut before going after the big boy. I want to make sure the cut I have in mind will work well. I''ll keep you posted on the progress.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo I like the opal and the sunstone a lot!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love sphalerite. Nice sphenes!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 1:09:09 AM
and finally, a very nice oval. This is a really nice stone
and my fav!

mz

gnopals

Rough_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous, love them all. Those Sphalerites are huge
30.gif

Great work Rev!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
They''re all beautiful! I really love your opal
30.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great comments guys. I really love to hear what you have to say.

One thing I would ask is: What do you NOT like in the stones I posted? Why don't you like it and what can I do better (besides learn to photograph the stones)?

The reason I ask is that I intend to start offering stones around mid-March and I want to make sure I have an inventory that appeals to the true gem-geeks (like myself). It is really hard for me to look at something I have cut and have an unbiased opinion so your critics would be really helpful. And don't worry. I am pretty thick skinned and virtually un-offendable so please be completely candid.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results