shape
carat
color
clarity

Small side stones: online vs. B&M

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring will be a sapphire and diamond three-stone ring, made by a jeweler in Maine. You can see the setting in this thread: Sapphire three stone.

I was hoping to use a pair of .25 carat diamonds from my grandmother (my sentimental contribution to the ring), but it turns out that they are cut a bit deep, and are too small in diameter for that particular head. One option is to use four-prong heads that CAN accept those diamonds, but I don''t love the look, and think it will look inconsistent with the center triple-prong head. I asked the jeweler to send specs on side stones they have available, and he sent info on three "examples," all AGS ideal (but with no information on depth, table, etc.):

.25 ct, G, SI1, $653 ea.
.26 ct, I, SI1, $583 ea.
.29 ct, F, SI2, $513 ea.

This may seem like a no-brainer. Obviously, there is mark-up here, and I have looked at the PS price guide for comparable diamonds. I KNOW we can get better clarity for a lower price, with certs, from places like Blue Nile and DCD, in the vicinity of $450. I am trying to decide, fairly quickly, if it is worth the added hassle to save $200-300. We are limited on funds, and this is an unexpected expense.

Things to consider IF we buy online:
The jeweler is in Maine, we are in California, so there are shipping costs (both from the diamond vendor to us, and from us to the jeweler.)
Getting the pre-purchase appraisal of the online-bought diamonds adds another $75-100.
Time-we have to wait for the diamonds to arrive, take them for appraisal, and send them via registered mail to the jeweler. So, at least another 10 days before the ring can be made.

IF we buy from the jeweler:
We don''t get to see the diamonds first.
Lower clarity-how much difference is there between VS2 and SI1 in a 25 point diamond?

This post is helping me clarify my thoughts, at least. Any thoughts on the mark-up? Is it at all worth asking if he can come down a little on the price? I''m hoping to work this out over this weekend.

Thanks,
Selkie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably just buy from the local jeweler who is doing the ring. Way to much trouble for .25 stones for me..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results