shape
carat
color
clarity

Size difference between 1.04 and 1.28

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 12:51:59 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
By the way, congrats on the 10K posts - that''s recent. How many people on PS in that club now?
Yes...that was a sleeper. Congrats!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh 10k posts!! Well done!!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
John, thank you so much!! This thread will be great for future references!

belle, lol. I didn''t mean anything, I just wanted specifics.
2.gif
*pondering r.o.u.s.*
hmmm.gif

Maise, congratulations!!
emotion-19.gif
It''s going to be bootiful!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much! I am very excited but I will have to wait a while as my other diamond needs to go to the lab to be checked first..... I''m hopeless at waiting!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I almost think you''ve helped the right answer jump out at me. Get the larger one because:

1. the 1.28 is visually larger and a big difference from the smaller one, in my opinion
2. the 1.28ct is a bigger jump from your current diamond
3. better off doing the upgrade just once, rather than twice in two years, cost-effective-wise
4. the longer you keep a diamond, the more you''re savoring its meaning (IMHO).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 12:52:59 PM
Author: bams0103
John,

Can I ask you to do 6.90 and 7.0? Pretty please!! I don''t think there will be much difference but I''m just really, really, curious.

Thanks!
Bams - No problem to do mm measurements.

6.90 and 7.00 mm spread. Again, the size on different monitors will vary. You''ll need to adjust the graphic on your monitor using a ruler at home.

690-700.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I should reiterate that knowing mm spread is the key, especially in larger sizes:

The spread of diamonds of same carat weight will vary depending on girdle thickness, table, crown & pavilion angles. Inside the parameters we consider "ideal" on PS these can be negligible differences in small sizes. However a well cut 7ct diamond may be anywhere between 12.25 and 12.50 mm, depending simply on girdle thickness. One that is outside the paradigms we consider "ideal" could be outside those numbers.

Bottom line: Carat weight is not enough to determine exact spread, especially as diamonds get larger.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Thanks John

There wasn''t much of a difference. I had to stare at it awhile to see it. Ellen is right, this is a great reference!

Thanks again!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 12:51:59 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 11/7/2007 12:38:30 PM

Author: belle

i think you just said john's pics were better than mine!
39.gif

you're going straight to the fire swamp to meet some r.o.u.s.es woman!

Pish posh Belle. Ellen was just being nice to the slow guy. By the way, congrats on the 10K posts - that's recent. How many people on PS in that club now?

PS: Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't believe they exist.
aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahhaaa.....YES! 'R'odents 'O'f 'U'nusual 'S'ize
see ellen! you *must* join the club! john is in too!
i'm dying to threadjack with some princess bride. maisie?

sir john, thanks for noticing and for the congrats!

thanks to rg and maisie too!
19.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the diagrams, belle and John! I would have thought a 1.28 would have been quite a bit larger than a 6.5mm round, but the difference is so small.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can hijack my thread anytime you like Belle!
9.gif

Actually while I''m here, I have another quick question..... I really love diamond wedding bands, but mostly the diamonds are F - G colour ...... will that make a J coloured centre stone look yellowy? Could I ask WF to make me a diamond band with lower coloured stones in if my forever diamond is going to be lower coloured?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 1:42:05 PM
Author: Maisie
You can hijack my thread anytime you like Belle!
9.gif
you're the sweetest!
have you seen or read it maisie?

Actually while I'm here, I have another quick question..... I really love diamond wedding bands, but mostly the diamonds are F - G colour ...... will that make a J coloured centre stone look yellowy? Could I ask WF to make me a diamond band with lower coloured stones in if my forever diamond is going to be lower coloured?
no, it won't. there are many here who have 'j' colored stones with f/g melee. the fabulous mara and lynn b both come immediately to mind. you'll be fine!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t Belle, but I will make every effort to get a copy if you recommend it!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 1:50:46 PM
I haven''t Belle, but I will make every effort to get a copy if you recommend it!
HIGHLY recommend it, yes!

see the movie or read the book and then come play!

''have fun storming the castle!''
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 1:36:44 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahhaaa.....YES! ''R''odents ''O''f ''U''nusual ''S''ize
i''m dying to threadjack with some princess bride. maisie?

19.gif
Club?? Ooooh, I''m in.
36.gif

Wait, what''s the initiation?
11.gif
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 2:05:53 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 11/7/2007 1:36:44 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaahahhahahhaaa.....YES! ''R''odents ''O''f ''U''nusual ''S''ize

i''m dying to threadjack with some princess bride. maisie?

19.gif
Club?? Ooooh, I''m in.
36.gif

Wait, what''s the initiation?
11.gif
9.gif
oh the initiation is the fun part! we start with a toast.
of course one of the glasses will contain iocaine powder. as long as you guess correctly, you''re in!
9.gif

cheers!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought it
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 2:22:13 PM
I bought it
9.gif
cool! now when i say ''i know something you don''t know'' ....you''ll KNOW
2.gif

enjoy! i wish i could watch it with you!
36.gif

wow....you just bought a killer diamond AND one of the great classic movies! what a day! you go girl!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yey me!!! I''m glad I asked for help now!!!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 2:16:10 PM

of course one of the glasses will contain iocaine powder. as long as you guess correctly, you''re in!
9.gif

cheers!
belle, what is "iocaine"??
scratchhead.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 3:19:58 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/7/2007 2:16:10 PM

9.gif

cheers!
belle, what is ''iocaine''??
scratchhead.gif
Well, darn, I am still trying to figure that one out, but I did find this when trying to look it up...
http://www.cafepress.com/princessbride

I think I must go to Netflix and add it to my list!!!
9.gif

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i''m glad you went with the 1.0ct maisie.
36.gif
for a month or two i debated whether i should upgrade to a 1.20ct range stone, since they''re much more affordable than my target 1.5ct. i have a .52ct and 1ct right now (yes, i have two e-rings, one was from my mom...), and was wondering whether a .20-.24 ct. increase would be worth it.

after some thought (but without those great images by john as an aid), i decided to spend the money on an eternity band instead.

can''t wait to see the results! i think a 1ct is a really nice size, especially for those of us who start off with much smaller stones.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 3:42:03 PM
Author: erica k
i''m glad you went with the 1.0ct maisie.
36.gif
for a month or two i debated whether i should upgrade to a 1.20ct range stone, since they''re much more affordable than my target 1.5ct. i have a .52ct and 1ct right now (yes, i have two e-rings, one was from my mom...), and was wondering whether a .20-.24 ct. increase would be worth it.

after some thought (but without those great images by john as an aid), i decided to spend the money on an eternity band instead.

can''t wait to see the results! i think a 1ct is a really nice size, especially for those of us who start off with much smaller stones.
I agree! It is so easy to get tempted to maybe go a little way over your means! I will be very glad to have a carat diamond! I am also thinking about getting a diamond wedding band to go with it!
9.gif

Quash

Rough_Rock
For those who want to resize easily, download the Image Zoom extension for Firefox.

Image Zoom Firefox Extension

Then, right click on an image and reset the size until it correctly measures against a ruler on your monitor. I did this when shopping for rings as the details on large shots can really distort how fragile and slight rings are. It''s also very helpful in comparing diamond sizes.

John, do you want to do a 6.40mm vs. a 6.50mm? :) Actually, John, a graphic of many sizes side by side might be of value to people. I''m surprised there isn''t something like this in pdf format in the top menu bar to ensure the sizes print correctly. This would be very useful for PSers.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 3:37:34 PM
Author: :)

Well, darn, I am still trying to figure that one out, but I did find this when trying to look it up...
http://www.cafepress.com/princessbride

I think I must go to Netflix and add it to my list!!!
9.gif
Alright, I MUST rent this movie soon. I feel so out of the loop.
39.gif
9.gif

John, didn''t click your link, I dun wanna spoil it.
41.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hooray for the big 1 carat mark! Congrats! The diamond looks gorgeous! And I thought you were going to keep us in suspense...glad you didn''t!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2007 9:22:18 AM
Author: thing2of2
Hooray for the big 1 carat mark! Congrats! The diamond looks gorgeous! And I thought you were going to keep us in suspense...glad you didn''t!
Yeah - ooh Maisie girl, how exciting for you to hit the one caraty mark!!! It looks great! What is your eventual target weight and size wise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results