carat
color
clarity

Sidestones for mahenge spinel?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 12:28:33 AM
Author: packrat
Well crap, I still like the idea of the omc''s! However, that could be b/c that was your first idea and it sticks with me. I just dig yellows. It seems so girly and romantic to me w/the omc''s.

I like orange and pink together a lot but I agree w/the others that it doesn''t let the spinel be center stage.

Very much like the lavender pears you picked however-I think the color works very well w/the hot pink!
36.gif
The color doesn''t compete with the pink at all, it complements it! And heck, in a Leon? You can''t go wrong!

+1. I really loved the idea of the OMC''s, but i like the pale blue/lavenders as well. It reminds me of a lavender blue spinel ring of TL''s that''s set in rose gold; I remember that I was absolutely taken at first sight, and IIRC, it was based on a Leon combo with a blue diamond that was also gorgeous.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! The blue spinels would look lovely with it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 11:34:26 AM
Author: innerkitten
I like the look with the lavender blue spinels and think it would look beautiful. It is a different look and not an everyday combo but for a PSer who probably has a good selection of RHR rings it's a nice idea (and it will certainly get attention because it's unusual). For some reason though I still see it with a halo :)

So what type of setting were you thinking.
I think this is the line my thoughts are going in. But also, as I was reading through the rest of the second page, would you wear thing ring with those colors a lot? I don't think it's so much about what colors go with the stone, but also what you'll wear. For me, because my eye is drawn to cooler colors, the sidestones are drawing me in more than the center spinel, so they are overshadowing the center stone.

Having said that, I like the demantoid/tsavorite idea. Makes me think of watermelon, tropical flowers, and this ring: Link

I don't see the lavender and red pink being complimentary, and according to the color wheel, they aren't. So according to this color wheel, if you qualify this as being red, the best compliment would be directly across the wheel--green. If you say its red-violet, it'd be a yellow-green.

Something to think about.

Color wheel freke.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone makes a good point, and I think some people prefer some colors together than others. It's a matter of taste.

Freke, I think we could put a huge blood red Burma ruby in the middle of that ring, and your eyes would still be drawn to lavender/violet/blues. You just seem to really love those colors. I do too
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2010 11:45:15 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 5/1/2010 10:26:42 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I have to say, unlike Gailey (sorry Gailey), I don't care at all for orange next to hot pink. I think these two hot colors compete too much with each other. I have a hot pink tourmaline and a very orange spessartite and I never wear them next to each other, they just cancel each other out so to speak. It's also really difficult to find spessartites without brown in them, and I don't want to see brown around this beautiful gem.
I'm pretty sure you said that to me as well when I was taking pink and orange. I'll take some pictures of pink and orange flowers together when the weather gets going here. Perhaps I'll convert you ;-)
I'm sure the flowers are beautiful, but wearing hot pink next to orange doesn't do it for me. I can see the appeal to others though, especially people that are very fond of warm colors.
1.gif
Now green and blue/green next to orange, I love that combo!! I remember seeing a mint green prehnite surrounded by spessarites, yum!!
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2010 12:43:22 PM
Author: IndyLady

Date: 5/2/2010 12:28:33 AM
Author: packrat
Well crap, I still like the idea of the omc''s! However, that could be b/c that was your first idea and it sticks with me. I just dig yellows. It seems so girly and romantic to me w/the omc''s.

I like orange and pink together a lot but I agree w/the others that it doesn''t let the spinel be center stage.

Very much like the lavender pears you picked however-I think the color works very well w/the hot pink!
36.gif
The color doesn''t compete with the pink at all, it complements it! And heck, in a Leon? You can''t go wrong!

+1. I really loved the idea of the OMC''s, but i like the pale blue/lavenders as well. It reminds me of a lavender blue spinel ring of TL''s that''s set in rose gold; I remember that I was absolutely taken at first sight, and IIRC, it was based on a Leon combo with a blue diamond that was also gorgeous.
Thanks Indy, I wear that ring every day. It''s one of my favorites.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 1:57:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild

I like the look with the lavender blue spinels and think it would look beautiful. It is a different look and not an everyday combo but for a PSer who probably has a good selection of RHR rings it''s a nice idea (and it will certainly get attention because it''s unusual). For some reason though I still see it with a halo :)

I think this is the line my thoughts are going in. But also, as I was reading through the rest of the second page, would you wear thing ring with those colors a lot? I don''t think it''s so much about what colors go with the stone, but also what you''ll wear. For me, because my eye is drawn to cooler colors, the sidestones are drawing me in more than the center spinel, so they are overshadowing the center stone.

Having said that, I like the demantoid/tsavorite idea. Makes me think of watermelon, tropical flowers, and this ring: Link

I don''t see the lavender and red pink being complimentary, and according to the color wheel, they aren''t. So according to this color wheel, if you qualify this as being red, the best compliment would be directly across the wheel--green. If you say its red-violet, it''d be a yellow-green.

I am actually inclined to disagree. I used to draw all the time and I always found I hated compilentary colors together as they clash and remove the subtly of each color. I don''t think there is a color combo out there I hate more than purple and yellow.

I do like the bluish stones because I feel like the combo of the shape and color draws the ey towards the center stone. 2 other rounds would not cause the same movement. I also disagree in that I am always drawn to warmer colors rather than cool when they are toegether, even though I wear and prefer cool.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 12:05:03 AM
Author: Uppy
Vapid, thanks for continuing to make me laugh!

TL, I know that gray as a modifier is usually the kiss of death, but I think with these sides I like the coolness of the blue, the fact that the lavender overtones pay homage to the pink in the mahenge, and the gray keeps them the background stones. I really like how these stones work with the mahenge. Sorry Vapid, but I AM a middle aged white lady with two kids who drives a minivan. Drab might as well be my middle name. ;-)
Never let it be said we are drab Uppy! I too drive a minivan, but without the kids. I just have gardening tools in mine. Doesn''t mean you can''t have a glamourous ring!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You''re right Gailey. No matter what else I may be looking like, my bling shines!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Uppy, I think those spinels will be perfect with jeans!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 5:09:38 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Date: 5/2/2010 1:57:25 PM
I like the look with the lavender blue spinels and think it would look beautiful. It is a different look and not an everyday combo but for a PSer who probably has a good selection of RHR rings it''s a nice idea (and it will certainly get attention because it''s unusual). For some reason though I still see it with a halo :)

I think this is the line my thoughts are going in. But also, as I was reading through the rest of the second page, would you wear thing ring with those colors a lot? I don''t think it''s so much about what colors go with the stone, but also what you''ll wear. For me, because my eye is drawn to cooler colors, the sidestones are drawing me in more than the center spinel, so they are overshadowing the center stone.

I don''t see the lavender and red pink being complimentary, and according to the color wheel, they aren''t. So according to this color wheel, if you qualify this as being red, the best compliment would be directly across the wheel--green. If you say its red-violet, it''d be a yellow-green.

I am actually inclined to disagree. I used to draw all the time and I always found I hated compilentary colors together as they clash and remove the subtly of each color. I don''t think there is a color combo out there I hate more than purple and yellow.

I do like the bluish stones because I feel like the combo of the shape and color draws the ey towards the center stone. 2 other rounds would not cause the same movement. I also disagree in that I am always drawn to warmer colors rather than cool when they are toegether, even though I wear and prefer cool.
Ok...Thats a lot of personal preference.

I like the shape of the pears, I''m exclusively talking color here. In the case where TL''s pink spinel was in the middle of the lavenders, my eye went to the lavenders, because they are brighter and more dispersive due to the lightness of the color. If it was a deeper violet for the pears, my eye would be drawn more to the cushion.

The question here is flow, and I''m not getting that from this color combination of stones. So if you want all the attention on the center stone, I think perhaps some other options need to be examined, because I think this color combo is going to make the eye distracted. But the shape is
9.gif

To address TL''s ring, I think that her violet works in the rose gold because of the orange hint to the RG and the violet blue of the center stone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 9:10:51 PM

Ok...Thats a lot of personal preference.

I like the shape of the pears, I''m exclusively talking color here. In the case where TL''s pink spinel was in the middle of the lavenders, my eye went to the lavenders, because they are brighter and more dispersive due to the lightness of the color. If it was a deeper violet for the pears, my eye would be drawn more to the cushion.

The question here is flow, and I''m not getting that from this color combination of stones. So if you want all the attention on the center stone, I think perhaps some other options need to be examined, because I think this color combo is going to make the eye distracted. But the shape is
9.gif

To address TL''s ring, I think that her violet works in the rose gold because of the orange hint to the RG and the violet blue of the center stone.
I''m concerned about that to Freke. I''m still going to have Tan cut these for me, and then I think the only way to know is put them side by side. If this mahenge looks like I hope it does, I don''t want anything to compete with it! I want it to look like a sexy woman in a little black dress. If these pear spinels don''t do it, I''m going to stick with just white diamond pave. And just a little bit of that.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 2:21:01 PM
Everyone makes a good point, and I think some people prefer some colors together than others. It''s a matter of taste.

Freke, I think we could put a huge blood red Burma ruby in the middle of that ring, and your eyes would still be drawn to lavender/violet/blues. You just seem to really love those colors. I do too
2.gif

*scampers away with the Burmese ruby as TL and Freke are busy looking at the lavender spinels....*

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought I''d throw something entirely different out there if the spinels don''t work.

What about a well made diamond band (by whomever you choose) where the Mahenge becomes the main focus like this one, only designed so it goes with the shape of the stone... I know it isn''t what you were thinking of, but I just thought I''d throw it into the mix because I think it''s different from anything you have and it could be worn on either hand.

band432.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2010 11:08:20 PM
Author: IndyLady
Date: 5/2/2010 2:21:01 PM

Everyone makes a good point, and I think some people prefer some colors together than others. It''s a matter of taste.

2.gif

*scampers away with the Burmese ruby as TL and Freke are busy looking at the lavender spinels....*

Nah, sorry, I would never turn down a hot blood red Burma ruby.
31.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
?

mahenge & tsav pears.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Green and pink is my favorite of the suggested options but I might be a little biased as that''s what I chose to go with as well.
2.gif
I still like the idea of pink and orange but the faceted spess does seem to be competing with the spinel. Have you considered cabs as sidestones?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Pardon the lousy Paint mockup, but I think you''ll get the idea..... What about Merelani garnets (prettier ones than these obviously). You''ll have the green, but much softer and it won''t take away from the Mahenge

Mahengemerelani.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, the omcs are somewhat warm, and the white balance is totally askew, but what do these look like? The stones are antique and a little ragged but I like the matched shapes and proportions.

mahenge & omc.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
You have the omc''s, so I think you''ll be able to tell as soon as you get the Mahenge whether they work or not...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
mint merelani

mahenge & mint merelani.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
much better color than the one I posted!!! If you want to go with green, I like the merelanis better than the Tsavorites because I think they compliment more than they compete.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I personally like the Mahenge/mint garnet combo as well...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the mint and hot pink/red combo too!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue pears with the mahenge are growing on me. They don''t take away from the center stone which I think is a must!!

I really really like the Leon setting. Is there a photo of that setting with a cushion? I think having a cushion as a center stone would change the look.

And as another PSer said the two colors will make the ring more casual. Is that OK with you?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 2:55:40 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
The blue pears with the mahenge are growing on me. They don''t take away from the center stone which I think is a must!!

I really really like the Leon setting. Is there a photo of that setting with a cushion? I think having a cushion as a center stone would change the look.

And as another PSer said the two colors will make the ring more casual. Is that OK with you?
This is going to be an occasional wear RHR, so unique is good, less formal is okay. I know diamonds tend to make things more formal, but I thought of colored sides as a way to make this ring much more eyecatching and one-of-a-kind.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2010 3:26:22 PM
Author: Uppy

Date: 5/3/2010 2:55:40 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

This is going to be an occasional wear RHR, so unique is good, less formal is okay. I know diamonds tend to make things more formal, but I thought of colored sides as a way to make this ring much more eyecatching and one-of-a-kind.
All is good then. It just depends on YOUR color preference, go with whichever color combo really calls out to you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the Mahenge with more saturated and dark toned blue sapphires
31.gif
I think this is a richer look than the pink and mint green or the side violet spinels. I also like he saturation on the blue sapphires better and I think they really make the center stone pop since they're a bit darker toned.

Here's the sapphire pair, and they're a good size proportion wise and unheated!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-32ct-Best-Matched-Pair-Octagon-UNHEATED-Blue-Sapphire-/350348569952?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item519266ed60#ht_2724wt_917

uppyscombo.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thumbs up TL. I like that one much better. I''m so weird...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Freke!

Here''s the same stones, but the EC''s are vertical.

uppyscombo2.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results