color
clarity

Sidestones for mahenge spinel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 6:55:52 PM
Author: Uppy
I didn''t much like the look of the tsavs or yellow sapphires. This stone has too much of a ''cool'' undertone.

I do, however, like the look of these lavendar blue spinels. What do you think?
On Leon''s site, there''s a blue diamond surrounded by pink diamonds, and while it''s not everyone''s thing, I simply adore that ring and it inspired me. I love blue and pink together, and I feel that the blue violet spinels have something to add because they have sparkle factor which many lower RI stones do not have. I really like this look, and it''s one of the reasons I chose rose gold for my violet blue spinel. I think blue violet really makes the Mahenge pop more. I''m looking to do a project with some pink and blue spinels I own.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I really like the blue spinels. The cut and look are consistent with the mahenge. My only concern is that the mahenge measures 7.7x5.7 while the pears measure 8x6. Is that going to put the balance really off kilter?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 11:31:59 PM
I really like the blue spinels. The cut and look are consistent with the mahenge. My only concern is that the mahenge measures 7.7x5.7 while the pears measure 8x6. Is that going to put the balance really off kilter?
Ask him if he has any other side stones in stock with that color and tone. I do think the pears are too large.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Given the actual measurements, this would be just about what they would look like together. Imagine them set in rose gold?

mahenge & blue spinel3.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. Too big.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 11:36:06 PM
Given the actual measurements, this would be just about what they would look like together. Imagine them set in rose gold?
I don't think that would look as refined, unless you were doing a ring that was heavy into metal, like a James Meyer three stone bezel or Etruscan look. Personally, the red mahenge screams for a more traditional setting like a Leon.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I just emailed Tan to see if he has smaller spinels with the same color and cut. I agree that a platinum Leon is my first choice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 11:40:41 PM
I just emailed Tan to see if he has smaller spinels with the same color and cut. I agree that a platinum Leon is my first choice.
Tell him you want the same tone as well.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
drab

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
uh huh

Leon 3 stone with pears.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 11:42:34 PM
Author: VapidLapid
drab
So are most blue diamonds, in color anyways. I find that blue violet spinels remind me a lot of blue diamonds due to their grey undertones and the fact that they sparkle quite a bit. The point anyways, with the side stones, is to help enhance the primary stone, and I think they would definitely do the job, however . . .

Uppy, if you want a more saturated blue side stone, you could try blue sapphires too. Tan might have some pairs of pears.
2.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Im sorry, I just dont like the blue - it feels flat. I should have been more articulate. so hot here in ny and the air''s not moving and my horse didn''t even place in the derby. I do like the setting a lot! There I said something positive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uppy,
Not sure if this will help you, but in this photo I took, the center stone is a spinel with a more hot pink color (not as hot and saturated as yours of course, but you get the idea). Surrounding it are some light toned greyish blue spinels. Do you like the color combo?

sevenspinelsdesign.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Tan has offered to custom cut me a pair of pears of similar color and tone to better compliment the center.

So now I need help with the appropriate size with this stone. Mahenge is an elongated cushion measuring 7.7 x 5.7 x 4.6mm

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could help out there. I''m not as good with proportions (that''s probably why I halo everything!! - LOL!).

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Vapid, thanks for continuing to make me laugh!

TL, I know that gray as a modifier is usually the kiss of death, but I think with these sides I like the coolness of the blue, the fact that the lavender overtones pay homage to the pink in the mahenge, and the gray keeps them the background stones. I really like how these stones work with the mahenge. Sorry Vapid, but I AM a middle aged white lady with two kids who drives a minivan. Drab might as well be my middle name. ;-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy NOOOO a MINIVAN? Say it ain''t so!

K now wait a minute, I interrupted myself for that very important commercial message and need to go back and look at the pictures.

Even tho you already made your decision I''m still butting in haha

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2010 12:05:03 AM
Vapid, thanks for continuing to make me laugh!

TL, I know that gray as a modifier is usually the kiss of death, but I think with these sides I like the coolness of the blue, the fact that the lavender overtones pay homage to the pink in the mahenge, and the gray keeps them the background stones. I really like how these stones work with the mahenge. Sorry Vapid, but I AM a middle aged white lady with two kids who drives a minivan. Drab might as well be my middle name. ;-)
I agree, and you know me and my modifiers!! However, Vapid does make a good point too, and if you wanted something more saturated blue, sapphires might be another option. I think saturated blue sides would still let the mahenge be the star because cool (blue) and warm (pink red) are not competing with each other. I personally tolerate grey in spinels because I think their luster and sparkle factor really set them apart from other greyish blue stones. For example, if you were to surround that mahenge with aqua (another greyish blue stone), it wouldn't have the same effect IMHO.

ETA: You are not a drab lady at all!!! I disagree with that summation.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I looked at the sapphires, but I don't want anything too intensely saturated. The spinels work perfectly for me. Tan has agreed to cut me another pair measuring 6 x 4.5mm.

He has messaged me that they'll search their rough and if they don't have the same color and tone they'll recut this set for me. What amazing service!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I''m so married to the idea of the hot pink with demontoidz that I''m not even thinking clearly. I''m sure it has nothing to do with the mint juleps. I''m actually waiting for a big blue spinel, should be here this week, and I was thinking to give it mahenge sidestones (sleepy sugarloaves). So I guess Im not so against this, but i think a stronger blue with lesser grey would be better

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool, please keep us posted on the pair he''s cutting for you.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here are the proportions I think will work.

mahenge & blue spinel!.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well crap, I still like the idea of the omc''s! However, that could be b/c that was your first idea and it sticks with me. I just dig yellows. It seems so girly and romantic to me w/the omc''s.

I like orange and pink together a lot but I agree w/the others that it doesn''t let the spinel be center stage.

Very much like the lavender pears you picked however-I think the color works very well w/the hot pink!
36.gif
The color doesn''t compete with the pink at all, it complements it! And heck, in a Leon? You can''t go wrong!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/1/2010 6:55:52 PM
I didn''t much like the look of the tsavs or yellow sapphires. This stone has too much of a ''cool'' undertone.

I do, however, like the look of these lavendar blue spinels. What do you think?

This is the best combo in my eyes
4.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 11:53:59 PM
Author: VapidLapid
Im sorry, I just dont like the blue - it feels flat. I should have been more articulate. so hot here in ny and the air''s not moving and my horse didn''t even place in the derby. I do like the setting a lot! There I said something positive.
Sorry about the horse. Do you have pics of him/her?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the look with the lavender blue spinels and think it would look beautiful. It is a different look and not an everyday combo but for a PSer who probably has a good selection of RHR rings it''s a nice idea (and it will certainly get attention because it''s unusual). For some reason though I still see it with a halo :)
So what type of setting were you thinking.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 10:18:02 PM
here''s a pic with some spess
Wow! OK, orange does it for me.

I think the other combos a good to. Very Paolo Costagli and very glamourous.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 10:23:38 PM
now these look pretty cool
Love those ovals! Where are you finding these cool pairs?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 10:26:42 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I have to say, unlike Gailey (sorry Gailey), I don''t care at all for orange next to hot pink. I think these two hot colors compete too much with each other. I have a hot pink tourmaline and a very orange spessartite and I never wear them next to each other, they just cancel each other out so to speak. It''s also really difficult to find spessartites without brown in them, and I don''t want to see brown around this beautiful gem.
I''m pretty sure you said that to me as well when I was taking pink and orange. I''ll take some pictures of pink and orange flowers together when the weather gets going here. Perhaps I''ll convert you ;-)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 12:04:34 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I wish I could help out there. I''m not as good with proportions (that''s probably why I halo everything!! - LOL!).
I think one third/two thirds might work. This needs the skill of someone who can put the shapes together in photoshop or something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results