shape
carat
color
clarity

Sick Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy about the kitty on the mend!
Good for you Al

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Got back from the vet a little while ago! She doesn''t seem to have an obstruction, but she does have a bit of a fever.
7.gif
The vet said that most likely she picked up an airborne virus, or else she ate something out of the trash that upset her tummy. He gave her a shot to lower her fever and some medicine we have to give her for a few days, but he wasn''t worried at all and said it seemed to be a pretty normal not very severe gastric upset, so just give her the medicine and call if she throws up again or still isn''t eating normally after a few more days. So yay!
36.gif
He also commented on what a beautiful cat she is
9.gif
, and the cutest part was when they were done and just talking to us while the assistant was holding Albi on the table, she leapt out of her hands and jumped -- into her carrier! She just nestled down in there and was like take me hoooooome!
5.gif
But she seems to be acting pretty normally now, and eating a bit more already!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear it''s not a major concern! I hope she mends quickly.

Cats crack me up - it is hell to get Chloe in her carrier to go to the vet, but once she''s there, ALL she wants to do is get back into it! Funny what provides the feeling of comfort and safety in different situations.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree FG it is SOOOO hard to get either of our cats in our carrier. They HATE it. Anyways, I am SO glad Albi is going to be okay. When Madison was sick the vet asked if I used any new cleaning products she might have licked (could you have?) She is a pretty girl! I love her coloring. Give her a hug from me!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the well-wishes, FG & Tacori! She seemed to be much more back to normal today and had a big breakfast!
9.gif
And was just generally more purry and relaxed than she''s seemed the past few days, so I think the medicine is already making her feel a bit better.

As for the carrier, we have one of those Sherpa (?) ones that''s like a soft suitcase, and I''ve got to say she LOVES it!! She likes playing in it and sleeping in it so much that we just leave it out all the time (looks like a small duffle bag under a chair) and she goes in an out of it 100 times a day. So I think she really thinks of it as something comforting and safe, and she couldn''t care less when we put her in it! (Maybe after this vet visit and getting her spayed she''ll see an evil connotation though...) But my cats growing up HATED their big plastic carriers, so I know what you''re saying! We got scratched many a time trying to get them in for car trips. Which also sucked because whenever they would see us start packing they would hide so part of my childhood getting ready to go on a trip routine was spending about an hour hunting for the cats after the car was totally packed.
20.gif

Anyway, the point now is that she seems like she''s going to be totally fine really really soon!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Albi, it is best just to check with the vet and all will be well now. I love that papoose thingie she got for Xmas and that was so funny you saying how she loves it and settles right down when she gets in it!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, yeah, we actually put her sleeping bag in the carrier for her yesterday b/c the vet was a bit of a walk and it was cold out! She just nestled right down into it.

Hehehehe but my fiance said when he was holding the carrier over his shoulder facing the oncoming subway train, she completely FLIPPED OUT and the carrier just started bouncing all over the place. I mean, I imagine a subway pummelling towards you is pretty scary the first time you see it when you have no reason to believe it won''t end up running you over!! When we took her back though, we aimed her the opposite direction and the loud noise was still pretty scary, but she didn''t seem too bothered.

Anyway, just soooooooooo relieved!!!!!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear she''s on the mend. Albi sounds like an adorable kitty!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Albi, I''m so glad she is on the mend!!!

As for cat carriers, whenever I carry Rascal towards one of the small cat sized plastic carriers, he would stick all four legs out so that he could no longer fit in the cage LOL. I now have a medium sized dog cage (which makes me look like a fool at the vet LOL) so that even with all four legs out, he still fits into the carrier
2.gif
. When he was younger, I tried to get him to like the small carrier by leaving it open all the time and even putting a little plate of tuna or treats inside. Well, long story short, it didn''t work, and he even sprayed it once, just in case I didn''t already know how much he despised the carrier
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 2:32:17 PM
Author: Rascal49
and he even sprayed it once, just in case I didn''t already know how much he despised the carrier
2.gif
I''m sorry Michelle, that is hysterical. I LOLed at that one.

Maybe I should try one of those soft carriers...Chloe hates her plastic one.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s worth trying! It has a little faux-lambskin lining and mesh in the front and sides to see out of, and it doesn''t jostle so much when you carry it because you can put the strap over your shoulder and hold it against your body. Whenever we take her on car trips, if we open the top of the carrier to let her walk around if she wants, she always pops her head up like a prairie dog, then pops it right back down and curls up back inside her carrier! I can''t imagine anyone thinking those big plastic ones are safe or cozy, but she loooves this one. Okay enough of sounding like an advertisement.
20.gif

Your cat is so funny Michelle! That sounds like something my parents'' cat would do. Once my dad went and grabbed his bike helmet and put it on really quickly to find some sort of liquid trickling all down his head........
14.gif
Needless to say, he stores the helmet top side up now.
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Albi, where did you get yours?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I got mine at petco I think. I really love it and the cats are more comfie...

Well, I'm so glad your kitten is doing well! That is very scary and it sounds like you're a good cat mommy!!

I don't mean to hijak, but I need good thoughts...today, we took scotty to the vet for his FIV check up and he came home and collapsed and was drooling and mouth breathing. He went under the bed but I grabbed him out and rushed him back. He would have died. He needed oxygen and then they took him in the pet ambulance to the medical center in nyc. Turns out he has the most enlarged heart they have really seen, had about 35 ml fliud sac around the heart and he is in heart failure which they are trying to reverse. Poor guy. ANd he is in the beginning of kidney failure and the heart meds are not good for that...but it's too early to tell. they said he is going well...we will know more tomorrow. Cost about $3000.00 so far but worth every penny for my boy..I don't know what I'll do without him. Moreover, I don't know how husband will handle this. We knew it was a matter if time, but didn't think it would be now.
7.gif
Best case scenario is that he will be on meds unless the kidneys are affected...he could have anywhere from "1 to 2000 days"...let's hope it's 2000...
17.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 5:21:06 PM
Author: moremoremore
I got mine at petco I think. I really love it and the cats are more comfie...

Well, I''m so glad your kitten is doing well! That is very scary and it sounds like you''re a good cat mommy!!

I don''t mean to hijak, but I need good thoughts...today, we took scotty to the vet for his FIV check up and he came home and collapsed and was drooling and mouth breathing. He went under the bed but I grabbed him out and rushed him back. He would have died. He needed oxygen and then they took him in the pet ambulance to the medical center in nyc. Turns out he has the most enlarged heart they have really seen, had about 35 ml fliud sac around the heart and he is in heart failure which they are trying to reverse. Poor guy. ANd he is in the beginning of kidney failure and the heart meds are not good for that...but it''s too early to tell. they said he is going well...we will know more tomorrow. Cost about $3000.00 so far but worth every penny for my boy..I don''t know what I''ll do without him. Moreover, I don''t know how husband will handle this. We knew it was a matter if time, but didn''t think it would be now.
7.gif
Best case scenario is that he will be on meds unless the kidneys are affected...he could have anywhere from ''1 to 2000 days''...let''s hope it''s 2000...
17.gif
Oh MMM, I''m soooo sorry.
15.gif
You, your husband, and Scotty have my thoughts and prayers.
17.gif

And I am so glad to know that another person other than me is willing to spend $$$ to help their pets! My FI thinks I''m crazy, but honestly, if I had to give up my diamonds to save Rascal, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Please keep us updated.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Michelle...He's my boy. My baby. He is so special. He is much more "needy" than most cats (in a good way) .. very vocal and effectionate and in your face so he is missed so much tonight. I can't imagine what it will be like if I have to let him go. I'm not ready for that yet. The money is well spent...well, if he survives.
7.gif

He's has congestive heart failure....and what they do to treat it is the opposite ofwhat they'd do for renal failure...which he is in the VERY early stages of...but they could put him in it. They drained 35 ML of fluid from around his heart
6.gif
and he is doing well...Breathing great. If the fluid comes back there is nothing that can be done. I gave the a DNR for tonight... But I hope they can get him out of the immediate heart failure with drugs and if the fluid doesn't come back (his quality of life is MOST important...they aren't doing any other procedures), we can manage him with pills..but either way, his time is limited. Hopefully months to a year + if we're lucky ... I worry about my husband the most. That's his boy. BFF.

I just hope he isn't scared tonight in his little oxygen chamber. it's roomy ...but he's used to sleeping next to us and being treated like a king. he looked so pathetic when we said good night ...anyhoo...sorry for the hijak...and thanks for the kind words...
17.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Moresie my strongest vibes and prayers go out to you , Hubby and Scottie! I know how special that little guy is to you both. Hang in there, it sounds like he is having the best treatment money can buy. That is the hardest thing is having to leave them at the vets, but he is in the best place. Please keep us updated.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh MMM,

I''m so, so sorry to hear about your beloved boy!! Please know that my strongest and most heartfelt wishes are going out for your boy and to you and your husband as well.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
MMM, still thinking of you guys. Any updates?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Scotty....
15.gif
MMM I just saw this today and I am so heartbroken to hear this! I hope the big boy pulls through and has lots of thousands of days left. Chloe sends a head bonk and a lick. Thinking about you guys....
emcat.gif
emlove.gif
emhot.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys....Head bonks!!!
Well, we went to see him and he looked so pathetic. My husband just broke down. It was heartbreaking. Scotty was SO loving and sweet. It was just so sad. But...there seems to be some good news...He is still a sick boy...his white cells are very high and he has heart disease with an enlarged heart...and he has FIV...with high kidney values...SIGH...BUT, he is still well enough so that all he may need is just heart meds...they are doing a sonogram (or ultrasound..dunno) for his kidneys to make sure there is no infection in the kidneys...but if that checks out my baby is coming home. Who knows for how long, but he will have a quality of life and still be with us. He is shaved all over from blood work and the heart draining...poor guy...

Thanks so much...and SO sorry to hijak..I just needed to talk about it...and husband''s way of dealing is not to talk about it. Head bonks.
emcat.gif

How is your baby doing albiocca??? Eating well?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh MMM, I''m so glad to hear a bit of good news!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know they look so scraggly when they''re shaved but he''s gonna love it now that summer''s coming...so nice and cool...
2.gif

I hope he can come home soon! I''m sure that would make him really happy.
36.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
MMM - I am soooooo sorry to hear about Scotty!!!! Albi sends head bonks and purrs his way!!! I can''t imagine how heartbreaking this must be for you, and I hope he isn''t in too much pain and the pills end up giving him many more months!!!!

And stop apologizing about hijacking!!! You deserve this thread more than I do; feel free to keep using it as much as you want! (Although hopefully that will just be once more, telling us about the amazing recovery he''s made!)

(and FYI, the medicine fixed Albi up 100%, she''s starving all the time and her usual self now. And thanks again to everyone for all the well wishes and support!!! This really is the nicest community ever!!)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
So glad she''s a hungry girl again!
ANd thanks so much to all for the kind words....
Scotty might be able to come home tomorrow. I mean, he''s still technically dying...but not right now...I just hope his heart makes the trip home. I''m really going to urge the vet to sedate him if he can handle it. I can''t wait to have him home!
Head bonks!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm and albi i hope your kitties feel better soon... i know portia is just a doggie but she sends her kisses.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moresie so glad to hear some good news! It sounds like he is doing much better and with you and Hubby''s love and care you could have a long time yet with him. Please keep us updated and headbonks for him too.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Albi, so glad she is feeling 100% again!!!
36.gif

MMM, I bet Scotty will do so much better (and obviously be much happier) once he gets back home
1.gif
Still sending thoughts and prayers...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys...thanks so much .....
But there is bad news. Scotty''s ultrasound (I think that''s what it is) revealed kidney abnormalities..most likely cancer due to his FIV and blood levels. We won''t know for sure for 2 days. But I am brining my boy home tonight. One more night of him there makes me sick. I feel lifeless and weak. E/t I have my two other babies, Scotty is so vocal and needy. This house is just so "heavy" without him...It just sucks. His quality of life is #1 for me so we may have to put him down. But he''s coming home with me tonight so I can spoil him for the time he has left...This is part of being a pet owner but it just sucks. This is the second cat I''ve had to put down in 3 years. And it doesn''t help that Scotty is just...awesome. Anyhoo..will keep you updated. Head bonks, MMM and Scotty

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM you are definitely brave. I haven''t had to put a pet down yet (my first cat became my parents'' cat and did have to be put down a few months ago but I wasn''t there (3000 miles away!) and didn''t have to witness it. Gutwrenching.

I know that Scotty, even in discomfort or just not feeling great, will feel so relieved and safe and happier at home, for whatever time he has left. They feel the love, you know. Head bonks from us.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh MMM, I''m sorry the news isn''t great, but at the very least you can take Scotty home tonight and make him as comfortable as possible. I''m sure he will be soooo happy to be with you and your husband.

Head bonks and prayers from CT...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results