shape
carat
color
clarity

SI2 in 1.5 or so - Visible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcarter116

Rough_Rock
I''ve been shopping for stones online, and I am willing to go with round-cut H SI2.

Most online vendors have responded that an SI2 in the 1.5 ct range will not be eye-clean. Eye-clean is of course a subjective term - I''d be the one to choose.

Does anyone have thoughts and / or experience with a similar situation?

Thanks.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
In my recent experiences looking at diamonds, I had very little trouble picking out inclusions on SI2''s and above. I think a lot of it depends on the particular diamond and where the inclusions are. Having good eyesight and knowing what to look for doesn''t hurt either. Personally, I''d like to take a look at a diamond up close before I would buy it.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
It all really depends on the specific diamond, AND the specific customer

I have a 1.5ctw SI2 F

I cannot see top down ANYTHING. If I squint really hard and look up under my ring at a certain angle with a certain light I can kind of spot it.

But all inclusions are different - and no one will gurantee that sight unseen all SI2s are clean. Ask your jewler to take a look and give you a verbal that it is ok.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's one case in point you may want to look up: 4 carat SI round - a Whiteflash find for 'Solange'. THIS :

myrna1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a very few eye clean si2''s in that size a few more eye-cleanish ones and whole lot of not eyeclean ones.
A lot depends on your eyesight.
When buying a si2 online a trusted vendor looking it over first is mandatory in my opinion.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Consumer making the clarity grade as to eye clean.

There are many standard practices that are part of grading. One is that on stones greater than 1.50 GIA is more forgiving.
Second is the lighting, the type of magnification used in comparison with the naked eye, the distance from the eye. All of these play a part in clarity grading.

While there are certainly some consumers who can see more than others, but an independent opinion should be sought. No problem with taking the seller''s word, as he is representing a particular fact about the stone, i.e eye clean or not eyeclean. You can verify this with some who doesn''t have anything to do with the sale.

In addition the eyesight of the person looking at the stone can have tremendous differences. A person who is near sighted will most like see inclusions with the naked eye easier /better than someone who is far sighted. Also what is the person''s eyesight - 20/20 ? Some people have better eyesight than that, which can also affect what they see. We all have differnt visions. I personally like a microscope with a varying zoom feature. Beside you look with two eyes rather than one , which you do with a hand held loupe.

To write about clarity and not bring up the sight difference nuances in grading color is also a matter of concern. Professional appraisers are REQUIRED to have color hue discrimination test perform every so many years. Many professions require this to be done. So jewelers aren''t the only ones with this situation to adhere to. Interesint to note that a lot of graders working for the major labs, don''t take this test. A big concern was raised in the industry about this about ten years ago. Most likely the labs insist on that now, but not positive about it.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

OSU COWBOYS

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.5 si2 eye clean diamond. Look at my post under ..... Ideal-scope image again?......... it is in diamond hangout forum. There is a 40x picture and IS of my 1.5ct. Take a look and tell me what you think.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
ALJDewey has a 1.25 carat, H, SI2. Here''s a link to the thread about her e-ring stone. She''s since had it reset in it''s permanent home.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/finally-my-new-ring-t11146.html

Some SI''s are eye clean and others aren''t. Depends on the size, type, color, and location of the inclusions, and the vision of the viewer.
2.gif

It''s really going to depend on the diamond, but it definitely is possible.
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting my ring, Valeria. Lesley from Whiteflash looked for some time before she found this for me. I have had it for several months and can easily find the inclusions with a loupe but, although I know where they are, I have never been able to spot one from any angle with the naked eye nor could the appraiser or anyone else. It is truly eye clean from every angle, as Brian told me over the phone when he examined it and said it was rare to find an eye clean SI2, Ideal cut in this size.

I dicussed with Lesley what I wanted and she did a great job in finding the perfect stone for me. And, because it is an SI2 I got a great price for a big, beautiful stone.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think there is a big distinction between what you can see and what anyone looking at ring can see. In a well-cut RB, an SI2 ring stone can appear "flawless." However, if you know where to look, all the time, you might be able to see something....I almost guarantee that most others won''t.

I have a 3ct SI2 and i am thrilled. People continually ask me if it is "flawless." No joke. I also got a good SI2 with one fairly small feather off to the side that I can''t even see...once in a while, if I am deliberately looking and it''s a certain kind of weird, dark lighting, and I tilt the stone a ceratin way, at a certain angle, about 3 or 4 inches away from my face, my 31-yr old eyes can see it...but it takes a real effort.
2.gif
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2005 10:18
6.gif
4 PM
Author: solange
Thank you for posting my ring, Valeria. Lesley from Whiteflash looked for some time before she found this for me. I have had it for several months and can easily find the inclusions with a loupe but, although I know where they are, I have never been able to spot one from any angle with the naked eye nor could the appraiser or anyone else. It is truly eye clean from every angle, as Brian told me over the phone when he examined it and said it was rare to find an eye clean SI2, Ideal cut in this size.

I dicussed with Lesley what I wanted and she did a great job in finding the perfect stone for me. And, because it is an SI2 I got a great price for a big, beautiful stone.
solange

sounds like my wifes 3 ct si1 i know where the inclusions are but i can''t see it without a loupe. my pair of eyes is a lot older than Jenn''s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results