shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Pearls!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I found it on eBay. It is new old stock from the 1950's. A shop had had it hidden away for 60 some years. Score for me.

lindam

Rough_Rock
What kind of salt water pearls are these ? Thanks
slider_yourock.gif

And as the title says...

Show me your pearls! Details would be much appreciated too!

I would start us off but I don't have anything much to show, so I am looking forward to all the lovely pearl candy belonging to some of our PS ladies!
9.gif
[/QUOTE]

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0321.JPG I just love pearls. My DH bought me these in Japan in 1992, they have a very soft pink tint to them.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pearls! Here are some pieces which i would love to share...
First, lavender Tahitian rounds, 8.5-11mm, with earrings. Not sure of the size, but I'd guess 15-16.

IMG_2653.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some tiny, freshwater pearls with little lavender sapphires mixed in here and there. SS and 18k gold bracelet.

IMG_2656.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 'mosquetta' from Panama. They are traditionally worn by ladies there. Put it on this ribbon for a choker look.
And these are some baroque Akoya pearls which my mother gave me when I turned 18. I bought these Akoya leaf earrings for fun.

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some of my favorite necklaces! First is a wire wrapped, coin ad pink pearl necklace by an amazing artist. They are like happy clouds...

Then I made this lavender and pink Druzy pearl, wire wrapped necklace. It's very long. The light is low and the pics are not doing justice to the luster and orient of these.

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of Tahitian earrings...these go over hoops, and a Tahitian ring. Finally, some peridot, onion pearl and tiny freshwater dangle earrings which I made. They are shoulder dusters.

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing. Those are lovely pieces. I like the akoyas and the ss pendant and earrings.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous pearls Austina, Arkteia and Bluegemz. Thank you for reviving this thread!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies!
Some pics wearing the pearls..first the tahitians, then my wire wrapped coin and fresh water necklace, then finally my Mosquetta pinned on to my double strand fresh water gems.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some other combinations with pearls. I adore these pins and pendants because of the marriage between pearls and metal work, and they are endlessly versatile. Sometimes I wear these together lol!

IMG_0965.JPG

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
All gorgeous but I especially love your Tahitians

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the ones that are not yet stringed, and I am not 100% happy with them, but I think they will look fine with a large, cameo-like amethyst in the middle.

20170427_210735.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the ones that are not yet stringed, and I am not 100% happy with them, but I think they will look fine with a large, cameo-like amethyst in the middle.

20170427_210735.jpg
Those are lovely, Arkteia. They have a lemony, almost fresh and cool tone on my screen. I think with the amethyst, it will be a fabulous and unusual necklace! Please do show it when you've put it together?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Are they GSSP Arkteia?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they GSSP Arkteia?
Listed as such. I don't know yet much about pearls, so I try to purchase a pearl or two from different vendors to get an idea of what even exists on the market. Real pearls are very different from photos, I have not seen any other gems that would change so much not only due to the light but to the background. I took GIA accredited jewelry professional course once, but pearls were not an area of my interest at that time, so I just scanned through the book. Now it is different. And the subconscious urge is to wear something antique, I think. How come tastes change?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are lovely, Arkteia. They have a lemony, almost fresh and cool tone on my screen. I think with the amethyst, it will be a fabulous and unusual necklace! Please do show it when you've put it together?
Thank you, Bluegemz! They have somewhat fatty lustre, if I may use this term. Not the cool, metallic Tahitian one. I love all your pearls, but the shoulder dusters are so original, not like anything else!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 22k seed pearl necklace which my grandmother made....

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

Love seed pearls, they look so beautiful in antique jewelry!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some of my favorite necklaces! First is a wire wrapped, coin ad pink pearl necklace by an amazing artist. They are like happy clouds...

Then I made this lavender and pink Druzy pearl, wire wrapped necklace. It's very long. The light is low and the pics are not doing justice to the luster and orient of these.

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG
Did you make them yourself, Bluegems? I just bought my first book on beads-stringing.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Have you completed the CPA pearl course? It's around $500 but I had a discount code which meant it was free. There may still be valid discount codes around.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you! The shoul
Thank you, Bluegemz! They have somewhat fatty lustre, if I may use this term. Not the cool, metallic Tahitian one. I love all your pearls, but the shoulder dusters are so original, not like anything else!
I understand what you are describing. South seas often have a satiny luster rather than the sharp shine of akoyas. They are softer looking at times, which is just beautiful in emphasizing the glow of a woman's skin.

Re, the shoulder dusters, thank you! They took forever to make because of the tiny loops in the wire. Also the peridot beads have such tiny holes, that half wouldn't fit over the wire...ugh!

Re the other wire necklaces, the one with the coin pearls was purchased at a gallery. A Native American woman made it. My husband purchased 3 other pieces of hers. She has since moved away which is a shame because I don't remember her name and I would have loved to commission some matching cloud earrings. It would take a long time for me to master her fluidity of line in wire. The only wrapping I do is to create links and such. I did make the druzy pearl necklace with pearls purchased from Druzy Designs. She has fabulous pearls and gem beads of all kinds for projects. I do ALOT of bead work though for fun, such as bead embroidery, beaded necklaces, etc. Have loved beads and gems since earliest conciousness lol.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia, wanted to say that it's great that you got a book! Now you can string and restring your pearls and gems without having to pay someone. Also, you can use colored silks or powerpro to make very fun and modern combinations with pearls, such as using pink thread with Tahitian pearls etc. you can change clasps etc.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love seed pearls, they look so beautiful in antique jewelry!
Ah yes, seed pearls! I love them too. This was my grandmothers senior jewelry project. She had to pick blueberries all summer to save for the gold. This was back in 1910.

For decades I couldn't wear the pendant which she gave me because the pearls are attached by wires which are twisted together in the back. This was how this work was often done in southern Italy, which was her inspiration for this piece. Anyway, the wires clung to every piece of clothing and scratched my skin. I finally found a solution with a jeweler who does lazer welding. He built a gold frame with a few millimeters of 'clearance' so that it's lifted off of the clothes. Now it wears beautifully!

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I'd love to buy some matching earrings someday. These are new pieces from that region. Yet another jewelry completion piece to save for...sigh. But can't you imagine how great these would look on a basic black dress, or simple creme colored linen blouse?!

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results