shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I have cast pieces and VC pieces, and while I enjoy them all, it's the fabrication that makes the VC so special. It would be sad if they started to cast :(sad

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Cookie, I suppose it's a possibility they just haven't needed to stamp. But Larry's unwillingness to comment when I called made me very, very suspicious. Also, he did not sound like his usual self. He sounded tired and sad...almost defeated. And if the new company is switching to casting, I'm sure it will break his heart.

I wonder too if there is a way to distinguish die-struck vs. cast withouth slicing the ring in half. The only definitive proof I have seen of Die-Striking were micrographs of grain structure, looking at a cross-sections of the metal at very high magnification. On the other hand, porosity is proof of casting if the casting is not of the best quality. I would hope if they do cast, this would not be an issue! I have also seen cast rings where the hallmark was put in the wax, and not stamped into the ring after the fact (you can tell because the outline is sandy and not crisp, usually on mass-produced imports). That would indicate a ring was cast, but I would imagine if they do cast, they would take the extra step to stamp after casting.

Cookie|1345492072|3254485 said:
Love In Bloom, thank you so much for the style number. It sounds like I should contact Larry directly, since the stones need to be custom cut to fit and the retailers may not know 558-3-4-Large exists.

It's such a bummer they are no longer making the die-striking noise. I wanted to get a die-struck forever piece so much. :((

ETA: On a second thought, is it possible that they didn't get new orders in the past couple weeks, and they are just doing the carving, piercing, chasing, or polishing work on the to-be-finished pieces? Although this is unlikely, I still hope they haven't changed to cast.

Also, is there a way to tell if a piece was die-struck (vs. cast), without asking the seller/manufacturer?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if they are switching to casting, they have to change the website at VC and all the jeweler websites that explain the way they make their rings. They can't continue to advertise them as die struck if they are cast.

http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=workshop (scroll down for die striking)

I just have one little VC band, but I think if we find out they are casting pieces, we might all should write E&F and tell them of our dislike of abandoning the die striking.

Rainy, I would get that verified 2 ways, and if it was cast, I would tell them I want it remade.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1345494403|3254512 said:
Well, if they are switching to casting, they have to change the website at VC and all the jeweler websites that explain the way they make their rings. They can't continue to advertise them as die struck if they are cast.

http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=workshop (scroll down for die striking)

I just have one little VC band, but I think if we find out they are casting pieces, we might all should write E&F and tell them of our dislike of abandoning the die striking.

Rainy, I would get that verified 2 ways, and if it was cast, I would tell them I want it remade.

DS, bear with me here - by verifying it 2 ways, do you mean verbal and in writing, or via VB *and* VC directly? Or something else entirely? And I was thinking all hope is lost for die-striking, but you're suggesting that I could request it be made that way? Do you think that's possible?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree there, iluvcarats.

iluvcarats|1345493860|3254503 said:
I have cast pieces and VC pieces, and while I enjoy them all, it's the fabrication that makes the VC so special. It would be sad if they started to cast :(sad

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
E&F may not care if $$$ is their bottom line. Which I suspect is so, considering their advetrtised prices on the pierced rings. But I hope for all of us who enjoy the artistry, history, and romance (excuse the cheese..) of die-struck jewelry, they would consider not killing the art. And for Larry's sake, as well.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Just reading the link diamondseeker provided. The real benefit of the die struck method, as opposed to casting is this:

the extra density and strength allows us to work more extensively with the metal allowing much finer detail.

It's the finer detail that is the point of these pieces, it's what they are and it's why people love it and are prepared to pay for it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I certainly hope they don't abandon die striking. The only piece I have is the 812 ering, but honestly the level of teeny tiny detail is so immaculate and amazing, I can't imagine they can get the same result with casting. I've compared my ring to other high end branded antique style rings and it's no comparison.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1345495128|3254519 said:

DS, bear with me here - by verifying it 2 ways, do you mean verbal and in writing, or via VB *and* VC directly? Or something else entirely? And I was thinking all hope is lost for die-striking, but you're suggesting that I could request it be made that way? Do you think that's possible?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear! I was thinking of seeing what your jeweler says and maybe also calling Larry. They've had that die striking equipment for 100 years or something like that, so they can certainly use it if E&F allows them to. You paid for that ring with the belief that it would be die struck, and if it were me, I would expect them to make it that way unless the change their website to eliminate it.

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
To all Van Craeynest fans,
We are testing whether we could produce a hybrid Van Craeynest product... reduce prices and give consumers the same or better product at a better price. To date we have not delivered any rings that were not produced from the original dies. When we are satisfied that we can produce a better product we will announce it. Until then I can be reached via email.
Paul Emerson, II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Paul,

Thank you for coming to PS and responding to our concern. May I ask you a few questions here? I believe other PSers have similar questions in their mind.

What is your definition of "a better product"?

Once you announce the success of "a hybrid Van Craeynest product", will it still be possible for us VC fans to get 100% die-struck pieces (not just rings), upon request?

Will a different "VC" hallmark be used for the hybrid product? How do we consumers tell what product we are getting?

Thank you,
Cookie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Paul! :wavey: We thank you so much for being open to our concerns! You can see you have a group of sincere Van Craeynest fans here! Congratulations to your company for acquiring such a fine brand!

I think everyone is concerned with pricing, because at some point, the prices can knock some of us out of the picture. And I have felt the retail prices on VC have been too high. However, on the other hand, if I buy a piece, I am buying it because it is made in a way that I can't get anywhere else. Many jewelers and brands offer jewelry that is cast, die-struck, and totally hand-fabricated. We do understand that. I would suggest that if you produce a new line of VC jewelry that is cast, that you still offer the die-struck line as well. It will be a very sad day when that art is lost.

And....maybe you can offer a PriceScope discount on your Van Craeynest rings (bought through E&F) like many of the vendors here do! :bigsmile: In return, people do happily post their new purchases here for many to see!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1345514471|3254707 said:
rainydaze|1345495128|3254519 said:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear! I was thinking of seeing what your jeweler says and maybe also calling Larry. They've had that die striking equipment for 100 years or something like that, so they can certainly use it if E&F allows them to. You paid for that ring with the belief that it would be die struck, and if it were me, I would expect them to make it that way unless the change their website to eliminate it.

Oh no, it's totally not you being unclear.... I'm just slow on the uptake with things like this! Thanks for clarifying! Yes indeed, how VC makes their pieces - die striking and chasing - was a huge part of why I chose one of their settings. Knowing it could be different changes things, it's not what I ordered. Like so many here, the smallest of details and unseen beauty in pieces (i.e. fabrication methods) is a major player in why I enjoy the pieces I have.

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear Cookie,
I'll start by telling you a little about myself... My wife and I carried the brand in our retail store and we both wear, love and collected Van Craeynest pieces prior to acquiring the brand. Why did I buy it? It wasn't due to Larry's pleading, although he had my ear; I have multiple collections from antique camera's to old cars and I just couldn't pass up owning a piece of Americana... Van Craeynest.

To your concerns:
1-a better product is one that has the same attributes (due to being made from a master die struck model) as the current VC lineup but is financially feasible to continue manufacturing.
2-If you could afford (because of better pricing) a platinum cast VC piece it would be better than a die struck white gold piece.
3-Why am I calling the new pieces hybrids? Because that is what they truly are. A combination of 1800's, 1950's and 2012 manufacturing techniques. About porosity, the equipment we are testing washes the mold injection area with Argon (an inert gas) twice. This negates that problem. Have you ever heard of porosity in a Tiffany or Cartier piece? They are cast.
3-The hybrid product will be hallmarked with "Van Craeynest" spelled out.

My 958 for instance in 18K Rose gold retails for over $7200.00 casting will knock three days off the build time and lower the cost to the consumer, everyone wins!

All our best!
Paul Emerson
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear Diamondseeker,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum!
1-We haven't ruled out offering individual pieces of VC that are die struck.
2-We are working to develop a national network of Jewelers who carry our line. Currently we have over 35 stores.
3-With that being said if there is a store within two hours of you or you have purchased in the past from one of our dealer stores, E & F will not be offering rings to you for sale.
4-We are the bearers of the torch, the protectors of VC art and the facilitators of the only brand of is type in the world.

We have and will continue to have the highest standards and a product that is not only delicious looking but will be a spectacular jewel to pass on to generations to come.

Very truly yours,

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Paul, thank you so much for answering my questions.

You probably have thought about this, but just in case you have not -- after you stamp the hallmark "Van Craeynest" (completely spelled out) inside the engagement/ wedding rings, there may not be enough space left for engraving a personal message. Unless I totally misinterpreted your words, of course. 8)

It's great that you will not discontinue the VC die-struck line. I'd better hurry up, and get my favorite VC ring, before you change your mind. :o Just kidding! ;)) I do want to get one soon though, in my favorite metal - 18K rose gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VanCraeynest|1345569810|3254906 said:
Dear Diamondseeker,

2-We are working to develop a national network of Jewelers who carry our line. Currently we have over 35 stores.
3-With that being said if there is a store within two hours of you or you have purchased in the past from one of our dealer stores, E & F will not be offering rings to you for sale.
4-We are the bearers of the torch, the protectors of VC art and the facilitators of the only brand of is type in the world.

We have and will continue to have the highest standards and a product that is not only delicious looking but will be a spectacular jewel to pass on to generations to come.

Very truly yours,

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

Thank you for your reply, Paul! I am thankful to hear of your love for VC and the desire to keep the art alive! Unless there are new dealers since I last inquired, there were none anywhere near me (NC). I didn't see a dealer listing on the VC website, so I realize it could have changed. I have one VC ring which I was extremely fortunate to find second hand. I do hope to purchase again as I try to buy pieces worthy of becoming heirlooms!

vc1vancraeynest.jpg

vc2.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew!! I spoke with my jeweler and she spoke with Larry and assured me up and down that my piece is 100% die struck. She said it may end up being a few of the last of its kind, which would be bittersweet to say the least... I'm joyous that I managed to get a VC piece that is crafted the way they always were, but saddened that a big part of what makes Van Craeynest art could be lost going forward.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
rainydaze|1345637299|3255231 said:
Phew!! I spoke with my jeweler and she spoke with Larry and assured me up and down that my piece is 100% die struck. She said it may end up being a few of the last of its kind, which would be bittersweet to say the least... I'm joyous that I managed to get a VC piece that is crafted the way they always were, but saddened that a big part of what makes Van Craeynest art could be lost going forward.

Oh no! :(sad :(sad :(sad ;( ;( ;(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul: How nice of you to join the forum and fill us in on what's going on. As you can probably tell, Van Craenest rings, and the design and workmanship behind them, are much admired here on Pricescope. I'm looking forward to hearing more about them, and the company's plans.

Welcome!

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
Polished|1345509401|3254654 said:
Just reading the link diamondseeker provided. The real benefit of the die struck method, as opposed to casting is this:

the extra density and strength allows us to work more extensively with the metal allowing much finer detail.

It's the finer detail that is the point of these pieces, it's what they are and it's why people love it and are prepared to pay for it.

Dear Van Craeynest Fans

What we have found is NOT ENOUGH people are prepared to pay for it. Die striking is labor intensive (triple the time to produce) and it uses 2-3 times more metal than casting to achieve the desired result. Yes much of the metal is reclaimed but not all and the time to reprocess is excessive.

Metal in flash, metal on our amazing masters clothing and shoes and of course the floor. The loss is... well, unmeasurable, I chose to lower the prices for a year, subsidizing each piece out of my children's inheritance (humour me). They won't get an inheritance, because there is no way today with the internet and the inability to get the message to the masses of the difference in value between a cast ring that is finished exceptionally and a die struck cast ring. WE (you and me can't see it)! WHY? Because there is none. What matters, are the designs the carving and chasing.... The original art that IS Van Craeynest!

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1345727200|3255856 said:
Paul: How nice of you to join the forum and fill us in on what's going on. As you can probably tell, Van Craenest rings, and the design and workmanship behind them, are much admired here on Pricescope. I'm looking forward to hearing more about them, and the company's plans.

Welcome!

Thank you so much for all the admiration.

I Wrote this poem today, it's about passion, I am a passionate, committed guy! Van Craeynest is one of my passions, and my wife Pammy is the springhead of my life of passion... This will help you get who I am.

Sweet light, days end, skies afire
Glasses clink, drums beat hearts desire

Awestruck, lips meet
Knees buckle, bodies entwine, red heat

Sweet light, skies afire

If anyone tells her I shared this with you first...

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1345601765|3255143 said:
Dear Diamondseeker,

Very truly yours,

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

Thank you for your reply, Paul! I am thankful to hear of your love for VC and the desire to keep the art alive! Unless there are new dealers since I last inquired, there were none anywhere near me (NC). I didn't see a dealer listing on the VC website, so I realize it could have changed. I have one VC ring which I was extremely fortunate to find second hand. I do hope to purchase again as I try to buy pieces worthy of becoming heirlooms!

Dear Diamond Seeker,

Craig Coyne jewelers in Maryland may be the closest. Thank you for sharing a vintage VC ring with us. I will be looking for that die on Monday and will post it.

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VanCraeynest|1345744349|3256011 said:
diamondseeker2006|1345601765|3255143 said:
Dear Diamondseeker,

Very truly yours,

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest
[email protected]

Dear Diamond Seeker,

Craig Coyne jewelers in Maryland may be the closest. Thank you for sharing a vintage VC ring with us. I will be looking for that die on Monday and will post it.

Paul Emerson II
CEO
Van Craeynest

Paul, I will check out that jeweler's website, thanks! Very amazing poem you wrote for your wife! She will love it!

I was told my ring is 333 special...and special because the center stone is kind of a cushion/square. Maybe that will help you locate the die. It would be really neat to see it!

I think you have convinced us you have a passion for fine jewelry like many of us! So please drop in when you can!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302484056|2892901 said:
MakingTheGrade|1302483783|2892891 said:
diamondseeker2006|1302482954|2892883 said:
My 1 ct. diamond is now with Brian Gavin being recut and will turn out to be around .82 and 6mm, so it would be a good size for that pendant. I am leaning toward doing it just because I want the diamond to be an heirloom and it just needs a nice setting. I've considered Beverley K, too, but there is nothing else like VC! Sara also told me they could set the diamond in a fleur-de-lis head and add a bail, but I am not sure you could see the detail well enough for that to be worth it. I wish I could see a better picture of the D61 pendant, but I just can't tell enough about it.

DS: have you ever asked VC to send more photos? I imagine they wouldn't mind?

MTG...I hadn't really thought of that since the only pictures we normally see from VC are taken by PS members who visit there! But that is a really good idea! They probably have lots of other pendant designs. I just have to make myself decide to spend the money before I make them go to any trouble. I do love the pendant that was already posted. I just want one that is not too formal looking.

Hi DS, were you able to get more pictures of D61 from VC? I also want a pendant that's not too formal looking. D32 is beautiful, but D61 might be more suitable for daily/ casual wear. I'd like to see more pictures, if you got some and don't mind sharing. 8) Btw, Larry is working on my band (558) as we speak. :naughty:

van_craeynest_d61_400.jpg

vc_visitaug09_larry_sketch_d61_2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Cookie, no, I do not have any other pictures of D61. I am still considering setting my stone in that pendant. I did get an up-to-date quote on it, but I forgot to ask what the diameter of the pendant is. Maybe Paul will see your post and post additional pictures if any exist.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DS, I spoke to Larry today about my band, and casually asked about the stone size for D61, but didn't ask about the overall size.

If I hear him correctly, he said they used 0.75ct diamonds in their samples. He said 1ct would look really nice, and 2ct would work too. I assume they could do anything between 0.75~2ct, and maybe even larger than 2ct.

I didn't ask if any other stone shapes would work in D61. I really like cushions, especially the OMCs and AVCs. I guess I will ask next time I call VC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond I want to set is .80, so I assume it will fit that particular size pendant. My only qualm is that I know I'd love an AVR or AVC in it even more, so that is part of my indecision. Yet I do want to reset the family stone. So I am not sure what I will do yet! I think if you wanted to use an AVC, it would have to be one of the more rounded cushions. I really think the AVR would work better.

That drawing you posted makes me remember why I want the pendant and why VC is very special jewelry! I think I am going to do it but I need to decide what stone to put in it!!!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I agree a round will work better for the 3-flower design. An AVR will be very lovely in it. I think a modern brilliant round cut will look great too, because D61 doesn't feel as old worldly as some other VC pieces. If you decide to pull the trigger, please post lots of pictures when it's done!

I am still several months away from getting a VC pendant. While I am saving up for the setting, I will keep an eye out for possible stones. Maybe VC can do a little magic to fit a round-ish cushion, like a 4-flower version of D61? I will ask. I do like AVR too, as well as Jua Round sapphire, like this one: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/periwinkle-blue-montana-sapphire-engagement-ring.170046/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/periwinkle-blue-montana-sapphire-engagement-ring.170046/[/URL]

VanCraeynest

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1346270967|3259356 said:
The diamond I want to set is .80, so I assume it will fit that particular size pendant. My only qualm is that I know I'd love an AVR or AVC in it even more, so that is part of my indecision. Yet I do want to reset the family stone. So I am not sure what I will do yet! I think if you wanted to use an AVC, it would have to be one of the more rounded cushions. I really think the AVR would work better.

That drawing you posted makes me remember why I want the pendant and why VC is very special jewelry! I think I am going to do it but I need to decide what stone to put in it!!!

Hi DS,

We do have a two-tone D61 with a Ceylon Sapphire center. I will try to take some pics and post for you.

All the best,

Paul Emerson II
Van Craeynest

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results