color
clarity

Show me some Van Craeynest!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sixbillionstars|1344624942|3249277 said:
rainydaze|1344624690|3249275 said:
The pricing I was given seems like it was in line with Emerson & Farrar's (1600 for YG, 2245 for Plat for style 457). It was from Von Bargen's, in case anyone is interested! DS, I have high hopes you got high pricing and maybe calling around will yield happier results!! :))

http://www.vonbargensjewelry.com/

Which #457 setting was it?

http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=28&pid=28
or
http://www.clay-pot.com/VAN-CRAEYNEST-Flower-Blossom-and-Shield-White-Gold-Solitaire.html

thanks!

Oh! I never noticed there were two versions - the one I was quoted is the Clay-Pot one, also found here on VC's site:
http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=28&pid=94

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
sixbillionstars|1344623655|3249262 said:
Aeolianarpa, WOW, I love all your VC pieces!!!!!

Hmmmm, that quote actually sounds doable! I've been hesitate to ask about VC pricing bc I thought they were exorbitantly expensive. I was quoted 15k for #1021 so I was a little scared! :???:

I'm going to email Emerson and Farrar for some quotes!

Thanks SBS! OMG @ 15K for the 1021! Though it has to be one of the most complex pieces to carry out of all their designs (if not the most). Do you have a talent for being instantly attracted to the most expensive item in a sea of offerings?! I certainly do :) Here's a link to E&F's small catalog (page VC 2). Not bad prices for at least three sets, and Von Bargens is looking very good too. Hope the quotes float your boat! :razz:

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1344639621|3249434 said:
sixbillionstars|1344623655|3249262 said:
Aeolianarpa, WOW, I love all your VC pieces!!!!!

Hmmmm, that quote actually sounds doable! I've been hesitate to ask about VC pricing bc I thought they were exorbitantly expensive. I was quoted 15k for #1021 so I was a little scared! :???:

I'm going to email Emerson and Farrar for some quotes!

Thanks SBS! OMG @ 15K for the 1021! Though it has to be one of the most complex pieces to carry out of all their designs (if not the most). Do you have a talent for being instantly attracted to the most expensive item in a sea of offerings?! I certainly do :) Here's a link to E&F's small catalog (page VC 2). Not bad prices for at least three sets, and Von Bargens is looking very good too. Hope the quotes float your boat! :razz:

Thank you for the link!! Yes, not bad prices at all! Yes, it's a sickness, being attracted to the most expensive things :)...although, even though 1021 is an amazing setting, I was not ready to see a quote of 15k!

Is this setting new? I think it is super gorgeous as well http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=28&pid=35

Do anyone know what # this setting is....and any ideas on price?

LIBsVCvisit0010.jpg

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
NP, SBS :) I've recently seen that exact orange zircon ring for sale on ebay, it was 5.something carats and went for $2.5K AFAIR. I think it's a new/one-off design, it doesn't look like any other part of the catalog anyway! The blue sapphire beaut you have there is the lattice version of the 1012, it's termed '1012 P Latt' in the ancient catalog. As for pricing, I know the 1012 carved is likely over $8K in plat. and I'd say all-latticework wouldn't be too far away (and likely on the higher end), but, I would love to be wrong. :razz:

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1344707519|3249800 said:
NP, SBS :) I've recently seen that exact orange zircon ring for sale on ebay, it was 5.something carats and went for $2.5K AFAIR. I think it's a new/one-off design, it doesn't look like any other part of the catalog anyway! The blue sapphire beaut you have there is the lattice version of the 1012, it's termed '1012 P Latt' in the ancient catalog. As for pricing, I know the 1012 carved is likely over $8K in plat. and I'd say all-latticework wouldn't be too far away (and likely on the higher end), but, I would love to be wrong. :razz:

Eeekkk 8k! Wow.

Btw, do you have an alternate email for Emerson and Farrar? My email keeps bouncing when emailing them at their [email protected] address due to their mailbox being full.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Aeoli- that's one amazing VC collection! Yowzers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa|1344621420|3249248 said:
DS, sorry for the delay! The ring is platinum and cost $2800 with the #4 head. 4 prong would have been $2650 and the small version was $2390 (just had to check that up -- this was pricing with Emerson and Farrar, they seem to have the best pricing of all the vendors). Ah, I understand the need for an old-style stone, I was initially gunning for an AVR for this, but as luck would have it, GOG didn't have the kind of size/color I was looking for so: I asked for an oldie transitional. The Polygon search was run with AVR stats in mind so the end result is 95% of the joy of an AVR and a considerably smaller hole in my pocket. :)

Here's the vid for this (center stone all the way through, AVR on right then left for the window). Hope that enables, I mean, helps! :razz:

Aeoli....I am travelling and just stopped in and saw your reply. The pricing is driving me NUTS! The last time I called Larry, the price of that setting in platinum was $3500! And that was without the fleur-de-lis head! I take it that Emerson and Farrar now own VC, right? So do they have a website? I will try to watch the video...we have limited internet access here. Thanks!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lol, I also asked for pricing on the 1012 (carved) and I was quoted 6400 for platinum and 5500 for 18k YG. Again, these numbers were from Von Bargen's.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
SBS, I don't have an alternate email but they're pretty personable on the 'phone -- though they have to call Larry to figure out prices on unusual pieces, so it's not a quickest process.

Bastetcat, thank you! It's been a long time in the making and I'm pretty much at the end of my collecting days, so hopefully I'll get to see other VC enthusiasts add to their stash! /Hint of a hint :razz:

DS, I can't believe the variance in all of this, though shortly before and after the takeover prices seemed to be all over the place; $4K+ for the plat. 484 is seriously off the wall! It looks as though E&F are shooting for standardized retail pricing now, which is a whole new (and apparently cheaper) ballgame. Here is E&F's website, happy pricing. :)

Rainydaze, color me pleasantly surprised! The last time I priced this w/ Larry (just before E&F took over) it was $6K off the blocks for the medium size, which I think is for stones between 1 and 2 carats. Is there a chance you were quoted for the smaller size (E.1012A)? If it's $6-ish K all told for the 1012... a redo looks tantalizingly approachable. :twisted: Thanks for the heads-up!

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to add I saw 1012 in person at Alana's Jewelry and it was FLIPPIN AMAZING. It looked incredible in person. It was set with a 1.02 ct. I haven't seen VCs with prongs like this before and I love them how detailed they are.

vancraeynest.jpg

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
rainydaze|1344775301|3250105 said:

Lol, I also asked for pricing on the 1012 (carved) and I was quoted 6400 for platinum and 5500 for 18k YG. Again, these numbers were from Von Bargen's.

Thanks for the info! Good news that it is less than I thought.....even though $5500 is a lot of moola but it is now more in the doable range :)!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa|1344790489|3250204 said:
SBS, I don't have an alternate email but they're pretty personable on the 'phone -- though they have to call Larry to figure out prices on unusual pieces, so it's not a quickest process.

Bastetcat, thank you! It's been a long time in the making and I'm pretty much at the end of my collecting days, so hopefully I'll get to see other VC enthusiasts add to their stash! /Hint of a hint :razz:

DS, I can't believe the variance in all of this, though shortly before and after the takeover prices seemed to be all over the place; $4K+ for the plat. 484 is seriously off the wall! It looks as though E&F are shooting for standardized retail pricing now, which is a whole new (and apparently cheaper) ballgame. Here is E&F's website, happy pricing. :)

Rainydaze, color me pleasantly surprised! The last time I priced this w/ Larry (just before E&F took over) it was $6K off the blocks for the medium size, which I think is for stones between 1 and 2 carats. Is there a chance you were quoted for the smaller size (E.1012A)? If it's $6-ish K all told for the 1012... a redo looks tantalizingly approachable. :twisted: Thanks for the heads-up!

Aha! Yes, the quotes I got were for the smaller size 1012, so at least that accounts for that variance in pricing! ETA: Sorry, that is pertinent info that I should have included; I guess I wasn't all there when I posted!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Ah, I see -- I take it it's the guys at Von Bargens that weren't all there with the specifics when quoting! Though it's too bad for me, a hatchling plan has been scuppered. :razz:

Just for the sake of interest and because curiosity got the better of me, E&F pricing today is $7600 for the larger platinum 1012 and $6640 for the smaller (Von Bargens has them beat). SBS, the lattice version is $10940, so not much consolation there. :)

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1344884204|3250742 said:
Ah, I see -- I take it it's the guys at Von Bargens that weren't all there with the specifics when quoting! Though it's too bad for me, a hatchling plan has been scuppered. :razz:

Just for the sake of interest and because curiosity got the better of me, E&F pricing today is $7600 for the larger platinum 1012 and $6640 for the smaller (Von Bargens has them beat). SBS, the lattice version is $10940, so not much consolation there. :)

I thought the lattice version would be less than the carved version so that shows how much I know. Wow, 11k is...wow...no words :).

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Love In Bloom, do you still come here?

I really like the diamond and flower band in the following handshot you took during your visit to Larry VC. It's the top one, which looks a bit wider than your gorgeous 456/556 set. After reading all of your posts, I figured out both your ring and band are 3.5mm wide at the top, and tapers down to 2.5mm. So maybe this band I am looking at is 5mm?

Anyway, do you happen to know the style number of this band? It looks similar to 558 in the catalog, but I don't think it is the same one. 558 looks thinner and more delicate than the one in your handshot.

What if I just send this handshot to Larry or a retailer (Von Bargen's, or Cross Jewelers)? Do you think they will know exactly what I want to get? Thank you!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=98928']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=98928[/URL]
libsvcvisit0013.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=98927']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=98927[/URL]
libsvcvisit0012.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I am also curious, how is Von Bargen's or E&F's pricing compared to Larry's in general? Has anyone compared their pricing? I am trying to decide if I should go directly to Larry, or go through E&F (the parent company), or one of the retailers on the east coast who carry VC pieces, like Von Bargen's or Cross Jewelers. If the savings by going directly to Larry is not likely to be significant, I might as well work with someone who is in the same time zone as me and who often uses emails for communication.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't compare pricing. I was already working with Von Bargen's to find a setting when they suggested VC. I asked for pricing on some styles, they brought in a setting for me to view, and off we went. It wasn't until after that it occurred to me that I could have shopped around, but I liked working with VB and I knew enough to know the prices they gave me were good, so I was happy.

Hearing DS's pricing makes me wonder the same thing, though. I'm curious what jewelers would give for pricing on the styles she's had quoted by Larry directly.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cookie. This wider band in the pic is the 558-3-4 Large. It was never really an advertised style, so Larry will recognize the style of the larger version, while stores will probably only know about the regular/narrower version of the 558. You can order the larger version of 558 with all diamonds, or with square-cut gemstones. I know because I totally wanted one with rubies! Larry told me the gems would have to be custom cut and ordered through their gem broker, though, because this style cannot accommodate stones that are cut really deep.

A note about pricing...Some retailers will quote prices on settings they have on hand or have most recently sold (that were priced ages ago!) instead of calling for a current quote. This happened to me on quite a few occasions when getting quotes from retailers, and might explain why the quoted prices vary so much.

And a note about production...Those who have visited the VC workshop in the past, during production hours, probably noticed that die-striking machinery makes a lot of distinct noise. The floors even shake a little when something is being stamped. My neighbor works for the SFPA in the suite directly below the VC workshop. He would always joke about his "office mates above" making so much noise. Well, recently he commented that he hasn't heard the typical sounds from the workshop, or felt the floor shake, in weeks. This likely means they are not die-striking anymore. I suspect they are transitioning to casting all of their pieces, which disappoints me, but does not surpise me, considering their recent acquisition by a company who only sends pieces out for casting. I did call and ask Larry about it directly, but he wouldn't comment whether they were casting their pieces now. My gut feeling, however, is that they will cease die-striking, and cast most, if not all VC pieces in the future. Sadly enough, this could also explain why the quoted prices vary so much...in the case they can't decide whether to charge less for the cast pieces, or to sell cast pieces and charge die-struck prices. :nono:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!! Now I'll have to ask if my piece was made via die-striking or casting. I'll be sad if it was cast. But that would certainly account for the good pricing (my ring wasn't one they had on hand - it was made to order for my stone, and my jeweler spoke with Larry herself for pricing/details).

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
RD, I would only be concerned with casting if yours was ordered or produced in the last couple weeks. That's when my neighbor said he noticed there was none of the usual loud noises and shaking going on.

rainydaze|1345488260|3254448 said:
Oh no!! Now I'll have to ask if my piece was made via die-striking or casting. I'll be sad if it was cast. But that would certainly account for the good pricing (my ring wasn't one they had on hand - it was made to order for my stone, and my jeweler spoke with Larry herself for pricing/details).

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
And apparently they are not closed or on on vacation.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love in Bloom|1345489374|3254456 said:
RD, I would only be concerned with casting if yours was ordered or produced in the last couple weeks. That's when my neighbor said he noticed there was none of the usual loud noises and shaking going on.

It was!! It was ordered July 20th, ready last Monday. It had to go back because it was misstamped 18k when it was platinum, so it's there again now. Oh man, this is a serious bummer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is incredibly bad news if they are changing to cast pieces. The E&F site still says the VC pieces are die struck, so I am really hoping they were on vacation or something. Many workshops close for a couple of weeks in the summer.

Okay..just saw the post that said they were not on vacation. I will say rainy, that you have the right to verify that your piece was diestruck and if it wasn't, I think you could refuse it.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Uh oh! They got the metal wrong for me on a few invoices, but the pieces were always stamped correctly. Except for a pair of earrings I bought out of the sample case. Those were not stamped when I purchased, but they added the karat stamps and hallmark later.

At least they are fixing your ring. Whoever stamped it should have quickly realized their mistake. Platinum rings are far, far weightier than 18k!

Did they say they were making your ring over, or just fixing the karat stamp?

rainydaze|1345490668|3254473 said:
Love in Bloom|1345489374|3254456 said:

It was!! It was ordered July 20th, ready last Monday. It had to go back because it was misstamped 18k when it was platinum, so it's there again now. Oh man, this is a serious bummer.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
DS-Agreed! They should absolutely be required to disclose that information. If they don't, it wouldn't be so much a lie as misleading customers to assume the pieces they purchase are die-struck. Which is just as deplorable in my book.

diamondseeker2006|1345490988|3254477 said:
That is incredibly bad news if they are changing to cast pieces. The E&F site still says the VC pieces are die struck, so I am really hoping they were on vacation or something. Many workshops close for a couple of weeks in the summer.

Okay..just saw the post that said they were not on vacation. I will say rainy, that you have the right to verify that your piece was diestruck and if it wasn't, I think you could refuse it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SA said if it was platinum and they just mis-stamped it then they'd polish out the stamp and re-stamp, and if it was made in the wrong metal then they would remake it. When I followed up to ask what VC said about the metal, she just said platinum, typo, so I assume they aren't remaking it. She also thought it was platinum based on how it felt in the hand, i.e. weightier.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Love In Bloom, thank you so much for the style number. It sounds like I should contact Larry directly, since the stones need to be custom cut to fit and the retailers may not know 558-3-4-Large exists.

It's such a bummer they are no longer making the die-striking noise. I wanted to get a die-struck forever piece so much. :((

ETA: On a second thought, is it possible that they didn't get new orders in the past couple weeks, and they are just doing the carving, piercing, chasing, or polishing work on the to-be-finished pieces? Although this is unlikely, I still hope they haven't changed to cast.

Also, is there a way to tell if a piece was die-struck (vs. cast), without asking the seller/manufacturer?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have an email in to my jeweler. We'll see what she says. :(sad

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Rainydaze, I hope, Hope, HOPE there is good news for you and your ring!

rainydaze|1345492664|3254492 said:
Well, I have an email in to my jeweler. We'll see what she says. :(sad

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you LIB!! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results