shape
carat
color
clarity

Should TG go FG or get martinis while preggo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, I have a set of .40 tcw in a platinum bezel and a set of 1.02 tcw in white gold martini settings. I took my 1.02 studs to my local jeweler to reset in the martinis, and he ordered from his Stuller setting book, and set the diamonds for a grand total of $120 in cash (he doesn''t charge sales tax if I pay in cash for obvious reasons.
2.gif
)

For the size you have, I love, love the look of the martinis. My 1.02s are not super well cut, and face up more like .40 ct each diamonds. I find them to be nearly the perfect size, especially since I used to have them in bezels, but they looked a tad too bulky on my ears. Maybe we need ear shots to decide which would look best?
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lauren, the stuller bezel is very different from the WF handmade...i have seen both and compared them side by side. the handmade is a bit more like the fineness of the tiffany peretti bezels, whereas the stuller one is more bulky and will sit higher on the ear. it's more like a shell than just a round collar on the stone. i also had WF get a stuller bezel for my sister's pendant and trim it down a fair amount to make it more like the tiff one but it still was def not close, there is only so much you can do with a stock piece. but it is good to know there are diff options if the handmade is too prohibitively priced for sure!

TG, i say do the wg modified palladium ones with either the .32's or a slightly larger set of stones, i think you will be very happy. for me going from 0 to something always makes me happy hehee. oh and for the record, the .32's compared to my .38's...i felt like there was a somewhat significant diff. so in those smaller sizes, you can def go up a few points and see a difference i think.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your help again ladies!

Switch of plans. I found a couple of J''s that look good, and have been looked at by WF. I''m not too concerned since it is an ACA. I wanted a lower color for the earrings since in studs I do prefer size over color. Hopefully my first experience with J''s will be OK! One is a VS2 which is not quite the SI1 I prefer, but I think it will be OK.

Here are the stones...

0.407 ct J VS2
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 0.407
. Depth %: 61.3
. Table %: 56.9
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.1
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 4.75-4.77X2.92
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

0.408 ct J SI1
Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 0.408
. Depth %: 61.8
. Table %: 56.2
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 53
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 4.74-4.76X2.94
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look like great picks; I would not worry about Js in bezels; I have 2 J stones set in rings and am very pleased by how white they appear in platinum (one of them is bezeled). I would absolutely bezel them because they will look larger. I bezeled my stone for a pendant and it looks substantial.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Image for the VS2...

DI40X_AGS-8833603.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS for VS2

IS_AGS-8833603.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
image for SI1

DI40X_AGS-8833602.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And finally the IS for the SI1. I''m bummed to let the F/SI1 go, (I love those specs) but Mara eyeballed them for me. While there were awesome, I guess they appeared smalled than her .38s, and I really liked the size of those. So J I go! (BTW, thanks Mara for all your help!). If anyone wants a great pair of F/SI1s, they are off hold!)

IS_AGS-8833602.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another wrench...they can''t do the earring backs without nickel they said. So I''m waiting for a quote for the platinum.
40.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be Still My ... ouch, ouch ... call a doctor!
11.gif
LOVE the .40''s -- holy banannas - I am SO JEALOUSSSSSSS
27.gif

So ... I was watching Iron Chef America last night & there was a battle between R. Ray & G. DeLaurentis -- and the whole time all I could think about was RACHELs bezel set studs. Almost certainly the Peretti Tiffany ones (as I believe her ring is Tiff) ... and they looked so petite & perfect. I''m sure they were about .40 or .50 each -- YUMMO!

About the platinum ... the Tiff ones are platinum too, right? Why not. Splurge. You''ll have them forever. (If I don''t trick you out of them somehow!
31.gif
)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Splurge, it will be worth it
11.gif
31.gif
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the 40''s for sure. And then they will be bigger than mine!!! Squeeee!!!
41.gif

(though who knows for how long, i got me some PLANZ)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What was the size difference between the Fs and these Js?

The .401 (WF exp. selection) I got is measures at 4.80-4.82X2.94. I''m not even sure if that size difference would be noticable from the Js you''re looking at. But, I wondered if Mara''s .38s were larger than the Fs and have a similar size difference between these Js and my .401.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You all are such enablers! I hate spending money on myself (even more so if it''s TGuy''s money), but I don''t know if I will upgrade any time soon, so I guess I can justify the platinum that way. Ouch ouch ouch though. I''m not even SURE I have a nickel allergy...I just know with certain earrings, my ears aren''t happy.

MC, I''m looking at the .32 F/SIs, which were 4.44 diameter. These are about 4.75ish, which I think will be a decent enough difference.

Mara, PLANZ eh? Don''t hold out on us for too long!!!

Deco, Rachel Ray makes me lose my appetite, but I guess she has good taste in jewelry!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, definitely the bigger ones. once ttot gets here it will be even harder to splurge on yourself so go for it!!!1

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah Mrs S....I know that I won''t splurge after TTot is born. Heck, I don''t splurge on myself now. When it comes to other people, no problem. When it comes to me, big problem. It''s only a $225 difference for plat (I can blow that at dinner) but somehow knowing that the settings cost MORE than one of the diamonds just doesn''t sit well with me. Principle thing.

But wah wah wah...whatever...if this is the worst of my problems, I got nuthin'' to worry about.

For those that are curious, I did speak to Bob H at WF about the WG and the issue is the backings and the post. They buy those from a vendor, and all the WG ones have nickel. So while the setting (bezel) itself would be fine, the part that counts would not. I''m really wondering if I have a nickel allergy or not. I can wear cheap earrings without a problem (have a few that I''m wearing these days), but my tiffany sterling silvers make my ears bleed. It may be the thickness of the post. I guess I could go to the mall and buy something with nickel in it to make sure.

But platinum...how I love thee. And I could then stick my settings in the ultrasonic without worry (I use ammonia). I''m waiting for the quote then I''m pulling the trigger. Bob says I should have them by thanksgiving. He also says he wouldn''t make bezel sets "for anything." I guess the money goes to the labor, not the metal...these are apparently a PITA to make!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 2:10:43 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Yeah Mrs S....I know that I won''t splurge after TTot is born. Heck, I don''t splurge on myself now. When it comes to other people, no problem. When it comes to me, big problem. It''s only a $225 difference for plat (I can blow that at dinner) but somehow knowing that the settings cost MORE than one of the diamonds just doesn''t sit well with me. Principle thing.

But wah wah wah...whatever...if this is the worst of my problems, I got nuthin'' to worry about.

For those that are curious, I did speak to Bob H at WF about the WG and the issue is the backings and the post. They buy those from a vendor, and all the WG ones have nickel. So while the setting (bezel) itself would be fine, the part that counts would not. I''m really wondering if I have a nickel allergy or not. I can wear cheap earrings without a problem (have a few that I''m wearing these days), but my tiffany sterling silvers make my ears bleed. It may be the thickness of the post. I guess I could go to the mall and buy something with nickel in it to make sure.

But platinum...how I love thee. And I could then stick my settings in the ultrasonic without worry (I use ammonia). I''m waiting for the quote then I''m pulling the trigger. Bob says I should have them by thanksgiving. He also says he wouldn''t make bezel sets ''for anything.'' I guess the money goes to the labor, not the metal...these are apparently a PITA to make!
TGal, I applaude the decision to go from .3xs to .4xs and drop from Fs to Js. Of course, I''m a bit biased here. And, this is exactly why I got platinum. My earrings go into the ammonia soak with no worries. You will appreciate the easy upkeep long after the price has been forgotten.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 3:41:49 PM
Author: Fly Girl
TGal, I applaude the decision to go from .3xs to .4xs and drop from Fs to Js. Of course, I''m a bit biased here. And, this is exactly why I got platinum. My earrings go into the ammonia soak with no worries. You will appreciate the easy upkeep long after the price has been forgotten.
Thanks FlyGirl. I am about to send the credit card autho over. It just STINGS! I am so not used to spending this kind of money on myself. I think I am going to get these insured...at first I thought I wasn''t going to, but not at these prices! Will have to contact Chubb this week. I saw a pair of J/SIs 80 ctw in the studs thread and I was amazed at how awesome they look.

I just keep looking at my ering and thinking how I look at it every day and get joy from it. From a piece of jewelry...I feel shallow...but I''m allowed one vice, right?

Because I''m a nerd, I had to search other options. I checked out the site where wallermama got her bezels and .75 ctw non certified ones J/SI1s in a thicker platinum bezel cost more than the ones at WF, so I feel HEAPS better!!!

I wonder if they baby will be fine on a diet of bread, water and top ramen.
15.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how exciting tg!
36.gif
you are going to loooove
30.gif
those nice sized ''j''s! congrats to you, woman!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 1:56:28 PM
Author: mrssalvo
ooo, definitely the bigger ones. once ttot gets here it will be even harder to splurge on yourself so go for it!!!1
Ditto! Yay how exciting!
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2007 12:25:35 PM
Author: Mara
lauren, the stuller bezel is very different from the WF handmade...i have seen both and compared them side by side. the handmade is a bit more like the fineness of the tiffany peretti bezels, whereas the stuller one is more bulky and will sit higher on the ear. it''s more like a shell than just a round collar on the stone. i also had WF get a stuller bezel for my sister''s pendant and trim it down a fair amount to make it more like the tiff one but it still was def not close, there is only so much you can do with a stock piece. but it is good to know there are diff options if the handmade is too prohibitively priced for sure!

TG, i say do the wg modified palladium ones with either the .32''s or a slightly larger set of stones, i think you will be very happy. for me going from 0 to something always makes me happy hehee. oh and for the record, the .32''s compared to my .38''s...i felt like there was a somewhat significant diff. so in those smaller sizes, you can def go up a few points and see a difference i think.

Mara, I didn''t even recognize you with the new av! Love it!

I was actually suggesting the Stuller martinis, which on detail shots aren''t quite as nice as the WF martinis, but when they''re in my ear, they sit incredibly flush and still have a gentle curve to them similar to the WF setting.

I would go WF bezel 100%, though, if I was ever to go bezel again.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, should have scrolled down - those .40s are TDF!!!!! LOVE them, TG!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 3:49:48 PM
Because I''m a nerd, I had to search other options. I checked out the site where wallermama got her bezels and .75 ctw non certified ones J/SI1s in a thicker platinum bezel cost more than the ones at WF, so I feel HEAPS better!!!
WOW!!! I knew their prices had gone UP UP UP since wallermama bought hers ... but it sounds like they''ve gone up even MORE since I last checked (Sept-ish). Hmmmmm. GREAT NEWS for you though! Check out the Tiff prices too -- you''ll feel even BETTER!
3.gif
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 8:15:54 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/12/2007 3:49:48 PM
WOW!!! I knew their prices had gone UP UP UP since wallermama bought hers ... but it sounds like they''ve gone up even MORE since I last checked (Sept-ish). Hmmmmm. GREAT NEWS for you though! Check out the Tiff prices too -- you''ll feel even BETTER!
3.gif
31.gif
Thanks again ladies! I probably should have run all the stats/sarin, etc on Rocky Talky, but I guess I''m not as anal as I thought. I like what I saw, even though I am not a RB expert. Sometimes all those numbers and percentages make my head spin! Good to know that you think they are nice based on what I posted though.

Deco, I know...I was shocked. I am a sucker for punishment so I thought I would go to the site wallermama mentioned and find a huge difference, but no! And I''ve already been to tif''s site...granted, theirs were Gs and VVS1''s, but $6750 for .76 ctw? Wowsers!

When can you take your temps out and start earring shopping? Can''t wait to see what fun and cool things you get!

Anyway, the deed is done, authorization faxed, and now I am just waiting to see any pics that may come my way. Darn my visit to Mara...I had been thinking of getting these for such a long time, but she''s SUCH the enabler!
37.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 8:40:10 PM

Darn my visit to Mara...I had been thinking of getting these for such a long time, but she''s SUCH the enabler!
37.gif
Moi? Nah!!!
12.gif

Lauren, haha oh I seriously missed the Stuller Martini part...DOH!!!

TG can''t wait to see pictures! You deserve them woman...being the vessel of life is darn hard!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
TGal,
It's hard for me to splurge on myself too (VERY hard!) so I totally get where you are coming from. I purchased studs (.34 ea) and a pendant recently and I really went back and forth about the two styles. I love bezel, but had trouble finding the delicate look that I wanted, and custom was too expensive for me b/c I do plan to upgrade. So I went martini. I love the simplicity of the style, and I love being able to see the entire diamond. I also feel the martini might be a bit more versatile and bezel a bit more casual, especially for a pendant, although I'm not sure. Ultimately I'd love to have a set in both styles, but who knows whether that will happen. If you plan to get a pendant in the future you might also want to think about which style you'd prefer for that, if you want them to match.

Anyway, I guess this is a late vote for martini, but you really cannot go wrong with either.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vessel of life? That''s too funny. Farm of Fat right now is more like it!

TanDogMom, I DO love the simplicity of the martini. My friend has it with larger studs (at least .75 if not bigger eacher) and they look awesome. I thought smaller ones would look a bit meh. But then I saw Mara''s and loved how they looked too!

But I am a hugely casual girl, and somehow the bezels seem to fit my personality. I do wonder how much of the diamond goes away in the setting, but it''s too late now...I pulled the trigger!

I probably will never get a pendant...don''t care fo necklaces...especially in L.A. I am sure someone is going to rip it off my neck!
23.gif

I''m a bit nervous about the J (because I am so used to the look of the F), but I think the size will make up for it for me. I''ve seen Mara''s J e-ring and I am constantly amazed at how great and white it looks, so hopefully I will be as lucky. And with these, I will only ever really see them face up.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
okay. Tgal - this thread has been amazing. If only you knew what this has done to me.

I have slowly been develping a h@rd on for diamond studs, as my pearls just dont cut it compared to the rest of my bling. So I''ve been *trying* to put them out of my mind...think about Christmas coming, think about the money spent on the basement reno right now...anything except diamond studs.

WELL.

Last night, (after reading your post I guess) I tossed and turned between awake and asleep agonizing over diamond studs. It was so Dreamlike in the way that it was surreal, but I kept waking up and then thinking about it...so it was a huge schmozle.

I woke up SURE that I was going to get Bezel studs.

This is crazy.

So...Now I''m going to start pricing out studs and "pitching" the idea to DH. ANyone want to help me find stones?? Shall I start a thread??
11.gif
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 10:43:44 AM
Author: mela lu
okay. Tgal - this thread has been amazing. If only you knew what this has done to me.

I have slowly been develping a h@rd on for diamond studs, as my pearls just dont cut it compared to the rest of my bling. So I''ve been *trying* to put them out of my mind...think about Christmas coming, think about the money spent on the basement reno right now...anything except diamond studs.

WELL.

Last night, (after reading your post I guess) I tossed and turned between awake and asleep agonizing over diamond studs. It was so Dreamlike in the way that it was surreal, but I kept waking up and then thinking about it...so it was a huge schmozle.

I woke up SURE that I was going to get Bezel studs.

This is crazy.

So...Now I''m going to start pricing out studs and ''pitching'' the idea to DH. ANyone want to help me find stones?? Shall I start a thread??
11.gif
31.gif
Hehehe...yes, start a thread! How fun!!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 11:08:25 AM

Hehehe...yes, start a thread! How fun!!
Oh TravelingGal...Just LOOk at what you've started - you naughty naughty gal!

Me tinks me may getting some new studdlings for christmas! I did start that thread, spoke to DH, and it looks like a GO!

Thanks for the virtual "push" that I barely needed. I'm so excited!

On a related note...any progress on your studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results