shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I halo my sapphire engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
I have a sapphire engagement ring but sometimes I think it looks a little blah and I want to put a halo around it. I would rather do that than upgrade it in a few years as it is special to me but I never liked the double prongs, my fiance said they''re required because of the size of the stone (it''s a 3.1 carat sapphire)... the band has diamonds on it and is platinum. So, if I ask them to put a platinum/thin diamond halo around it, how much will it cost about? do they have to redo the whole ring or do they just add the halo?

Thanks!

here is a link to the ring pics:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tessari-is-engaged.103581/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous as is the sapphire. To have a halo ring, you''ll need an entirely new setting. Depending on which custom maker, it can cost you anywhere from $3K and upwards for platinum.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just me but I wouldn''t change it. Its really a blueberry and takes center stage, but some like to have the diamond bling too which is certainly understandable.

Certain ring settings don''t lend themselves to being modified easily, so you may have to just take it to a jeweler to see if it can be done. If I were going that route I would just go ahead and get a new setting.

-A

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think its boring at all! But then again, I''m not the one who has to be happy with it
2.gif
BUT-- if it were me and I really really felt the need to give it more oomph... I''d go with the pokey special -gah is that one gorgeous ring or what! Its similar to what you have, but with some extra drool factor
18.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-daniel-k-tsavorite-pictures-inside.46513/

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Normally I''m all for going with a halo but I think your sapphire is drop dead stunning!
30.gif
30.gif
I''m green with envy just looking at the pictures.

Perhaps you should take the sapphire to your jewelry and figure out if a new setting is what you want. Or perhaps you can get the more bling factor by getting a different wedding band. Goodluck with whatever you decide!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire looks beautiful as is in my opinion, but in the end it is up to you being that you will be wearing the ring.

As chrono said, you would need a new setting, and if the stone is not calibrated, than you would have to go custom which could cost a bit more.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is perfect as it is.
I love the prongs, and it already has diamonds in the band to set the color off. That is a huge stone. I think it may overpower your small hands if you add a halo.
Love it!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
NO, please don''t....IMHO! Your ring is GORGEOUS just like it is!
30.gif

Lori

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s lovely as is.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After only reading your thread title, I was going to say-- yes! I love the contrast of diamonds with sapphires. But then I clicked on your link and- your ring is perfect!! I wouldn''t change one thing!
Can we see more pics of it?
31.gif

empress

Shiny_Rock
Maybe side stones instead?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the star of the show is the sapphire. most engagement rings are solitaires. you have that.

i really dislike halos and find them trendy.

if anything, i''d reset it in a wider band with more diamonds.

but absolutely no halo.

mz

ps but then its not my e-ring, my $, my hand, etc.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do not change that ring!!

Please take more photos of that ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 9:51:57 PM
Author: empress
Maybe side stones instead?
My thoughts exactly. If you "have to" change something, that might be a better choice because of the stone''s size. If you add a halo you won''t see much of the shank, so side stones would bring that transition from the stone to the shank, while changing it up. Something like half moon or wide pear cut diamonds would be nice, but it''s also doable with narrow trapezoids or something like that (might be more suitable to the cool elegance of your stone).

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring just as it is. In fact, it''s very similar to what I''m asking my bf for in terms of an e-ring.

If you''re unhappy though, I''d ask a jeweler what options you have to bling it out some more. Perhaps adding some side pears or trilliants. Or if you''re interested in the halo look, see if they''ll take a comparably size diamond (ie, CZ) halo they have in the store and use one of the overhead markers to color it in blue (a local jeweler used that trick to help me picture a sapphire in the setting I was looking at). See it on your hand if that''s really the look that you''re interested in. After doing all of this maybe you''ll find something you prefer. Or maybe you''ll realize that you really don''t want to change it after all. But please, post more pictures of your ring!

Also, one last thought. Are you the kind of person to be able to wear a good chunk of bling on a daily basis? It''s unlikely that I would ever get a halo for daily wear because I tend to think of it as for fancy occasions, and especially having such a strong colored gemstone in a bling...it''ll really draw attention to itself. And many people love that. Just make sure you''re one of those people.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I happen to think that your ring is fabulous, as is. However, you are the one who wears it! If you like halos, that would be a nice option. Color stones really pop against diamonds, IMO. And by that reasoning, diamond sides would also be a lovely option. Either would be a nice addition, though not necessary in the least.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your ring is gorgeous and would leave it alone. Maybe add a diamond band if you want extra sparklies?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like it the way it is. Probably due to the sheer size of the stone I think a halo would be too much for everyday wear. BUT that''s me. Maybe you''d be fine with that much size.

I''d just go ahead and add a sparkly band to the ering!

HTH

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I would LOVE to see more pics of your ring, but my first impression is that it''s HUGE and the colour is perfect. I wouldn''t touch it if it were mine!
30.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is gorgeous, but if you''re not happy with you, you''re not happy with it. Do any of the ideas about how to add to it without redoing sound good to you?

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Although I have a sapphire with a halo, I am in the "no halo" camp on this sapphire. With the size of the sapphire and the size of your finger, it could be overpowering. But I do understand the desire for a change. If you really want to change the setting, I think ma re had some nice thoughts. Maybe some nice thin elegant tapered baguettes? Nothing that would outshine the sapphire - just enhance it a little. It sounds like you are mostly unhappy with the double prongs. I have seen some rather large diamonds with only 4 single prongs so I would definitely talk with a jeweler about the prongs before remounting the sapphire. If you are again advised to use double prongs, how would that affect your desire to reset the stone?
However, I agree with everyone - your sapphire is a large beautiful blueberry!!! And we need more photos!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results