shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Just wondered if I could get some input. I know in the end it''s all down to me but it''s always nice to get opinions as well. Gives me something to think about. I''m pretty sure I''ll go with a white metal. Initially I had figured I would go with some sort of stock setting and do a halo ( if budget permitted) or just simple prongs with diamonds down the shank which would probably be very reasonable. But I''ve been searching old posts and I also like the look of these.

First there was this one that kcoursolle did with a malaya
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-want-to-see-cad-pics-for-the-garnet-ring.45756/page-2

and then these two which are sort of similar in style. One from Katebar and the other freefly. Both by Sally at Heart of Water Jewelry.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-back-from-thailand-with-new-ring-from-sally.126901/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-90-carats-blue-zircon-sterling-silver-with-18k-yellow-gold-bezel.131626/

I wonder if Sally is expensive for a custom setting.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How do I make those links clickable?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go.
35.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm where''s Freefly anyway?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks tons Chrono. And Terima Kasi!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 2:39:19 PM
Author: innerkitten
Thanks tons Chrono. And Terima Kasi!
Sama sama! Wow, I didn't know you speak some Bahasa Melayu.

I love kcoursolle’s Malaya setting as it’s so open yet maintains that antique feel. I plan to do something similar to that one day for one of my stones.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no help...I think they are all fantastic!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Only a few phrases. I spent a few months in Indonesia and people kept teaching me things :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool. I hope you don’t mind the sidetrack but was it recently or a while ago that you stayed in Indonesia?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It was a while ago. Before I got married and had my four year old. I had a fantastic time. The people in Indonesia are some of the friendliest people I''ve ever met. Seriously, them and the Irish. I was in Sumatra for a while and all the way up to Band Ache and a small Island called Pula Weh ( I think thats what it''s called). Bali and over to Kuala Lumpur.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad that you had a great experience. Yes, it is Bandar Aceh and Pulau Weh. I’m impressed your memory of the language is still sharp. Back on topic, I hear that Sally does good bezels and is quite inexpensive. Because I am partial to antique settings, I prefer Kcoursolle’s Malaya setting. If you prefer a fancier gallery, then the other 2 examples might be a better choice.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought Sally was really reasonable! If I were picking of those 3..yikes-they''re all beautiful, it would be so hard! Do you want something more simple on top w/fancier in the gallery or fancy on top and simpler in the gallery? Is this for your new pinky?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Not sure if I prefer plain or simple yet. I like them all too! Yes it's for the new pink stone ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What shape is the stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just say your other thread. I like the Knox one best since I think it is selicate and will highlight the shape of the stone the best. But if you wanted a more substantial ring with a heavier bezel then the first HOW is my choice.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s a cushion spinel. 7.2 x 7.4

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think all settings are beautiful. The first one is more antique looking and the others more unique and artsy.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the first setting. What color is the spinel?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s pink. I bought it from Swala. I have a post about it down below.

indoorpic9b.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh so pretty!

I think that would look great in any of those settings, but the looks would vary dramatically. With the first setting, I think it would be a nice blend of contemporary (with the brighter pink color) and antique (with the setting), whereas with the other two, you would get a stronger modern/artsy vibe from the ring as a whole. I still prefer the first setting though
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
They are all beautiful, of course I am partial to Sally's work. She really does a good job and takes time to communicate with you to get exactly what you want.

But I would not be comfortable sending that stone to her....of course you make jewelry, could you set the stone yourself?

ETA: Of the ones you put up, I like the bezel one with the diamond center. She is very reasonably priced, although they have gone up a bit since I started working with her, but I think she had to do that because the price of gold went up. But I have bought 6 pieces from her and they have all been amazing with wonder attention to detail.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ltefirecracker, Do you mean because she''s in Thailand? I was going to ask people about that and what their experience had been.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
BTW Ltlfirecracker have you had a chance to see your stone in person yet?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 10:15:27 PM
Author: innerkitten
Ltefirecracker, Do you mean because she's in Thailand? I was going to ask people about that and what their experience had been.

She advises you send your stones though registered mail uninsured because of the issues with the Thailand mail. I have never had a problem with the package getting suck in customs, and I follow her instructions exactly. But I kind of made a rule that I would never send anything over $500 or anything I couldn't replace. I would love for her to set my Richard Homer spess, but I am not willing to send it to her because I don't think I could find a similar stone to replace it, and his prices have gone up so much, I could never afford to.

Just got my stone
31.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
all of the settings are beautiful but I''m really drawn to the third one - it''s amazing

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same thing - the third one is simply amazing. And the diamond is hu-uge!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the one with the diamond. IMO the one with the zircon might end up a bit too much visually with your pink cushion, and while the garnet one is really beautiful, it''s very hard to visualize it with such a totally different stone (in terms of shape and tone), so it would be somewhat risky.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results