shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help pretty please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve run into a bit of a bump in the road with unexpected bills, so I''ve started looking for settings for my spinel that are a little less expensive than the JM but that I would still be just as happy with. I don''t want to get a "placeholder" setting for a few years. I''d rather just find something that I really love while we can still swing it, but that is less $$ than the JM.

What I like, and my dilemma for the day..

This is Freke''s Big Blue setting from Dimend Scaasi setting One thought is to either do this, or see if Sally can do something similar but w/different engraving on the bands. I like the little band on the side and that you can still see a lot of the stone.

Or this from Sasha Primak setting I like how it looks like flower petals and is also open to see a lot of the stone. Another one I thought Sally could do something similar to.

And of course, the CM one I coveted early on but nixed b/c he doesn''t use outside stones. setting Again, thought Sally could do something like this. This one, I have a hard time picturing in white gold. I''m not sure if the reason I like it so much is b/c it''s yellow?

By going this route, I can have my spinel set and get stones for my 3 stone ring for Christmas and have that done for Mother''s Day. The DM is $100 more than the SP and CM rings, if I were to go the direct route. I''m not sure about quotes from Sally b/c I haven''t asked yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on these settings and the choice between going direct or having Sally do it?

I appreciate any help, as always!! Lord knows I''m about the hand holdingest person on here.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about something from JKT? I''m really looking forward to seeing Jstar''s E/W marquis setting...

And I''m totally partial to the dS setting. Of course!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I like your ideas, Packrat! I think something like the CM or the DS (which I love, love, love, and I''m mainly strictly a bezel person!) could both be beautiful. I think there is something about the CM that is stunning, maybe its just the flow or the lines.

Plus, you''re not handholding. You''re interested in collaboration
9.gif

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I second JKT. She has done some really pretty JMesque settings. Can t remember whose those rings are, but if you go on her etsy site you should be able to see them. Also, she is so lovely, and you are involved in the whole design process. The only thing is she is really busy at the moment. She is actually taking deposits (until tomorrow I think) for design time in November, to be completed in December, so potentially if you don t do it now you might be waiting until Jan (I am just guessing- obviously you d have to talk to her about it).

Rough_Rock
I''m having the same dilemma. I don''t want to sacrifice on the setting but don''t want to spend a lot either.

I''m thinking of maybe getting a pair of precious stones (Tourmalines, Tsavorites, etc) from Multicolor.com or something similar. They could surround the lovely center stone and still look unique. The diamonds and craftsmanship of the setting can cost so much. But with several hundred, you can get a nice pair of precious stones, and the rest of the mounting shouldn''t be too much.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke and Novel!

I did think of Julia, but I wondered about the prongs on the DS and SP rings, since I''ve only seen her do bezels. I didn''t even have the CM in the running again (I''d taken it out months ago b/c of the outside stone thing) but D&T reminded me last night that I could always get a quote from Julia on the CM ring, and that Sally had done a bezel ring recently too..that then threw me into a tizzy, adding the CM back in.

I keep clicking back and forth between the rings and I just can''t make a decision.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh hey, didn''t see your replies Mousey and 336! This is what happens when you leave the reply screen up for a long time while getting your eldest from school.

336 what kind of a setting are you looking for?

Mousey, Katiedid and Glitterata have bezels by JKT I know, I''m not sure who else...I browsed around in her sales page yesterday! And like Freke, I''m so anxious to see Jstar''s ring when it''s done. She does such pretty work!

Novel..collaboration, that''s right, thank you haha!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Out of the three, I''m liking 1 & 3 the most...

As for the first one, I think its really lovely, but I think I prefer the CM.
After seeing the CM one, my brain immediately went to JKT. Just from seeing all of the beautiful bezel work she does I think she might be good for that style of ring, although, I have never purchased anything from her (yet
31.gif
)

and although you''ve probably already looked at it... here''s the JKT thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-julia-kay-taylor-pieces.124965/

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kas, I''m looking thru the JKT thread again in another screen, and following the links to all the goodies. Even tho I''ve seen them a lot, now it''s like..w/a different eye that I''m looking, you know? Thanks for posting the link for me.

D&T, I''d forgotten about Knox, and that''s a really pretty ring! Looking there too now..ha, I''ve got like 10 screens up!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2009 7:25:03 PM
Author: packrat
Kas, I''m looking thru the JKT thread again in another screen, and following the links to all the goodies. Even tho I''ve seen them a lot, now it''s like..w/a different eye that I''m looking, you know? Thanks for posting the link for me.

D&T, I''d forgotten about Knox, and that''s a really pretty ring! Looking there too now..ha, I''ve got like 10 screens up!
eeek Knox doesn''t take outside stones
39.gif
sorry sweetie, its out of the running but you can always recreate it
31.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 9:44:45 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 10/20/2009 7:25:03 PM

eeek Knox doesn''t take outside stones
39.gif
sorry sweetie, its out of the running but you can always recreate it
31.gif

Aw shoot, well, you''re right, can always recreate it!

Been changing my mind all day. First I think I want one thing, then something else. Well, I can always email JKT and Sally tomorrow and see what they think and then go from there.

I wish I were closer to some of these places instead of out in the boonies. It would be nice to try them on, or at least be closer to a place that had something similar.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Pack, here''s a link to the CM one you like
in all white metal linkage

I agree that Julia could likely execute that style the best, as it''s closer to her "natural" style than sally''s.
Plus, need to consider how do you feel about sending your gem to THI? Some folks are cool, some are not..

Just a couple points to consider on Julia:
- as was raised, she''s insanely busy! I believe she will be taking bookings for design time scheduled for Dec (not sure when this opens, have to ask), and your project to be complete by about Jan.
- she won''t copy the CM design (fair enough). She will work with you on modifying/adding to/whatever the design to make it yours and hers uniquely until you are happy though
5.gif

- I understand Julia *may* do prongs if that''s what you Really Really want - but if you decide on prongs I think I''d go Sally (or Dimend).

hth a lil!
35.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about someone else? Like Patrick Irla? Link

He also makes all of these hydrangea items on etsy (etsy thread in Jewelry Pieces), as well as being the bench for "The Voodoo Kings" on etsy (a lot of skulls) so he''s got a very different range of styles.

And it''s not like there aren''t tons of jewelers out there.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke and AJ! I think tonight when I get home from work I''ll contact Julia about it and see what she thinks. I did contact Sally about my 3 stone b/c I do want prongs for that one. I never thought about Patrick Irla, Freke...I love those hydrangea rings/necklaces etc that he does..wouldn''t hurt to contact him either and have a couple different quotes and design ideas to think about.

I hate that feeling of being torn. It''s my ering and I just want it to be perfect. It''s scary to me to have someone design something and not really know what the finished product will look like..there''ll be drawings I know, but still scary. Anyone else have the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands feelng when they did it?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would look at a prong setting if it is just a temp setting. From what I understand removing a ring from a bezel can damage the stone. The ring most likely will not be reusable.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ltl, no temp setting, whatever setting will be "it" unless JD gets a huge raise and I can have a collection of erings like Freke!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I missed the "no" and just saw the placeholder for a few years.

In that case, I just looked at the JKT webpage. I know she has a long wait list, but there are some great rings on there. I really like this one, the profile is really unique.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
pack, if you''re nervous about custom - Julia really is a hand holder. I think you two will work well together.
As others have mentioned, she is a perfectionist who will not touch a thing until she knows its exactly what the client wants.
She also sends you progress photos along the way, so you can see the piece develop. You can see these in my JKT threads.

She takes setting stones *very* seriously, she''s extremely invested and understands the importance of our baubles to us
2.gif

Sorry, I don''t want to sound like I''m "pushing" JKT on you - its just she does sounds right for you and your ring is all..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you LOVE the JM and would be happy long term with something similar go with JKT. If that doesn''t work you need to spend more time trying things on and looking, imo.

Bezel work is JKT. And JM is bezel work. So...

BUT I do know how a budget STINKS! Sorry, and best wishes.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sent Julia an email this am and a picture of my stone to get a ballpark figure and see what she thinks. I might try Patrick Irla and Wink too!

ETA Oops got a little carried away and submitted before I was done.

AJ, I don't think you're pushing Julia on me! She's done gorgeous pieces for you so I totally get where you're coming from!

Thanks Ltl and Stone Hunter!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 9:07:58 PM
Ltl, no temp setting, whatever setting will be ''it'' unless JD gets a huge raise and I can have a collection of erings like Freke!
Lol! The majority of my ering settings have come secondhand or really cheaply via ebay. FI bought the original, the custom, and has pair for a couple of stones to be set. Other than that, the green halo was secondhand, the lavender was secondhand, the tapered baguettes were secondhand, the two solitaires (montana sapphire, dark blue spinel) were from ebay and under $100 each, Big Blue''s setting was my PS gift, and I can''t remember if there are others! Good grief....

But speaking as a couple of poor college students, it can be done...and not that expensively...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 1:59:33 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 10/21/2009 9:07:58 PM

Ltl, no temp setting, whatever setting will be ''it'' unless JD gets a huge raise and I can have a collection of erings like Freke!

Lol! The majority of my ering settings have come secondhand or really cheaply via ebay. FI bought the original, the custom, and has pair for a couple of stones to be set. Other than that, the green halo was secondhand, the lavender was secondhand, the tapered baguettes were secondhand, the two solitaires (montana sapphire, dark blue spinel) were from ebay and under $100 each, Big Blue''s setting was my PS gift, and I can''t remember if there are others! Good grief....

But speaking as a couple of poor college students, it can be done...and not that expensively...

Aw crap Freke! Don''t TELL me THAT!! Well, yes, tell me that it can be done cuz I do soooo love rings..I can have my main one and then a couple others to switch it up! If this process is as fun as I hope it''s going to be, maybe I could do a couple rings to wear as erings out of that argentium silver..that would make them even more affordable.

If this forum had a spot to put nicknames under the avatars yours would be ENABLER.

Oh, and hey..does anybody know that Tacori setting that has the shank where it goes in and out, like a marquise on the sides?? I know it''s on PS a few times and I can''t find it. Is there a version that doesn''t have diamonds in the shank?
I''m trying to think of elements of other rings I''ve seen to change up that CM ring if Julia does it. Maybe that would look retarded but I''m just thinking.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'll accept that ENABLER title. Wholeheartedly. lalalalalala!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea about the Tacori. Have any pictures?

ETA: Is it kind of like Leon's DNA ring? (There is one with a rose cut diamond on his page...)

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mean this Tacori? I think there is one without pave but I''ve never seen it on here. I love that one, too. I''ve seen similar versions around though...I''ll look.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gohhh every post today has to be redone grrrr

Yeah kinda like those..but different..it''s not open like the dna/twisty ones..lemme look again.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, it''s this one.

tacorisides.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, I like the tacori :)

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I see what you meant! That ring is beautiful.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeahhhhh I prolly didn''t describe it very well to begin with!

So, sides like that w/out the stones in them tho..with a bezel head? Would that look dorky?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results