shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire and tension set questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2009 4:45:35 PM
Author: artworkinform
Date: 11/15/2009 2:38:01 PM
Author: kas baby
I would do a search on something called a ''Colette'' bezel. the bezel only surrounds the girdle which allows for more of the stone to be seen.

I wasn''t aware such an approach to a bezel had a name...thanks for the information. I''m attaching a photo showing a ring with this type of bezel where the underside of the center stone remains largely exposed.
Keith- you have lovely rings
30.gif

also try

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/n_gallery2.asp

maybe their contemporary mountings

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 4:45:35 PM
Author: artworkinform
Date: 11/15/2009 2:38:01 PM

Author: kas baby

"I would do a search on something called a ''Colette'' bezel. the bezel only surrounds the girdle which allows for more of the stone to be seen."

I wasn''t aware such an approach to a bezel had a name...thanks for the information. I''m attaching a photo showing a ring with this type of bezel where the underside of the center stone remains largely exposed.

lol, I didn''t even know what a bezel was before I came to pricescope, so I can definitely relate! I''ve learned so much from being on this site
34.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if this qualifies as a tension set or not, but I thought its unusual design might strike your interest.

Though this one is prong-set, it could probably be designed in a way to be tension set, or at least look like it.

ETA: I'd also browse Knox's contemporary rings.

Another option

Something similar to the one above, but for a single stone

Another similar design

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, I really like those last two examples from Knox Jewelers. I''m definitely going to have to stop in there when I go visit friends in Minnesota
31.gif

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
And that''s why I love you guys here! Seriously! Best wealth of information ever! :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 11:43:48 PM
Author: JustLikeYou
And that''s why I love you guys here! Seriously! Best wealth of information ever! :)
One of the designers I know of with a large selection of tension settings is Gelin Abaci. One the website go to ''Collections'' in the top left hand corner and three choices will pop up on the screen. Select ''Tension Settings''. There are a little over 200 tension settings to look at.

artworkinform

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 11:43:48 PM
Author: JustLikeYou

Hello again JustLikeYou,

As I noted earlier, based in large part on any preferences you may by now have established and/or things you''d prefer not to have incorporated into your ring, I expect a good brainstorming session might prove to be quite fruitful.

If you''re into it, I expect some of us here would be able to provide further input.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 8:26:22 PM
Author: AustenNut

ETA: I''d also browse Knox''s contemporary rings.

Another similar design

THIS. Oh, this design just stole my heart away. That''s almost exactly what I envisioned in my head. It''s beautiful. It''s not a tension, but it''s not a typical prong, and it doesn''t look like a bezel... and it''s not so plain as the regular *swooshy ring* thing. I even photoshopped a sapphire in the center that I like (except for how dark it is, i want something lighter) to see how it would look (see below). I''m sold. I think it''s perfectly beautiful. Too bad they only set their stones in their rings... and I''m not convinced by ANY of their stones...
7.gif

bqring1116.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful design. Though I''ve never worked with Knox myself, perhaps you can ask them to look for a sapphire that meets your requirements? Or if you see one from one of the PS cutters see if Knox would be willing to get it so that they''re the ones "sourcing" it? Or tweak their design so it''s exactly what you envisioned and get someone else to make it.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 5:11:06 PM
Author: AustenNut
That is a beautiful design. Though I''ve never worked with Knox myself, perhaps you can ask them to look for a sapphire that meets your requirements? Or if you see one from one of the PS cutters see if Knox would be willing to get it so that they''re the ones ''sourcing'' it? Or tweak their design so it''s exactly what you envisioned and get someone else to make it.

I think I''ll go the ''tweak their design'' route, since there are some changes I''d like to make to it. After looking at their current selection and their prices, I was a little more than put off. Their stuff is all way over priced in my opinion, which is strange since their settings are reasonable. I guess that''s how they compensate?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
The design is very nice. I think you would call it a ''half-bezel,'' or we could just call it gorgeous! I think a design like that will look very sleek and modern without being too cold, if that makes any sense. I can''t wait to see what you find for the center stone
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results