shape
carat
color
clarity

Salton Jewelry Spa...again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, I never really undestood how different a stone can look when clean. I though I was doing an ok job soaking it in some random solution every couple of weeks
23.gif

Well, when I saw my stone after it had been re-set and cleaned..OMG. Maybe there is something to this LOL
41.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 4:17:26 PM
Author: denverappraiser

The steamer is a poor imitation of the ones that jewelers use in their shops but, yes, it works pretty well.
I''ve been looking for a good steamer, but the professional ones are so expensive. I had considered buying an espresso maker (although neither FI or I drink coffee) or a Shark steamer (as seen on TV) just to clean my jewelry. This Salton unit looks neat, but I want to make sure I get something with enough power to do the job. Does anyone know which option will give me the best blast of steam to clean my jewelry?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
How big is the Salton unit? The pic on the website makes it look big in comparison to the guy''s hand, but there are no dimensions listed.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Kay, I have a shark. I love it for cleaning my ring. I bought it instead of a jewelry only cleaner because I didn''t want to admit to hubby that it was the only reason I was getting it.
2.gif
To keep him happy, I pull out the shark to clean something (doesn''t matter what), and then oh, by the way, my ring needs it too.
12.gif
He''s just so not into jewelry, but he does comment on how well I take care of my ring. (that he does like) His pet peeve is buying something that doesn''t get taken care of by whomever he bought it for.

Shay

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
On the professional units, the steam is hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns to skin.

Jewelry equipment companies sell a long pair of tweezers that have thick yellow tips which are good for steaming jewelry.

http://www.stuller.com ( probably a jeweler will have to order it for you)
or
http://www.kassoy.com

Rockdoc

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Kay, the Salton unit is about the size of a coffee maker... about the same size as my Cusinart... Abbott

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what do you guys think about the Jewel Jet?

http://www.jeweljet.com/

I found teh Salton one first browsing through the Macy''s website, but then I found this one. Doesn''t require any cleaning solution and just uses tap water.

I think I''m more anal about the care and cleaning of the ring than my fiancee. Prolly cuz I bought it so I can''t help but see a Camry sitting on her hand.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2004 6:21:17 PM
Author: codex57
Well, what do you guys think about the Jewel Jet?

http://www.jeweljet.com/

I found teh Salton one first browsing through the Macy''s website, but then I found this one. Doesn''t require any cleaning solution and just uses tap water.

I think I''m more anal about the care and cleaning of the ring than my fiancee. Prolly cuz I bought it so I can''t help but see a Camry sitting on her hand.

The Salton is a combination ionic cleaner AND steamer... I don''t believe it uses a detergent mix in the steam section...

The jeweljet appears to be more substancial a unit, but it is only a steamer.

One company has them up for bid on ebay.... check google and you can link to ones they have there.

I tried an ionic professional unit... can''t say I liked it at all. I returned it to the seller. If you don''t have pave in your ring, then regular ultrasonic will work well in combination with the jeweljet.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking into buying a steamer but, don't know to go with the Salton combo cleaner or the jeweljet steamer ? i already have a (2 QT) gemoro heated ultrasonic cleaner but it takes forever to heat up (20 min) any suggestion ?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ionic cleaners work pretty well for very light cleaning. For commercial users, they are especially good for removing the tarnish that lightly accumulates on a piece as it sits in the case waiting for it''s new owners. For consumers that use them regularly, they are pretty effective at brightening things up for daily use and they have the same use of brightening things up that have been sitting in your jewelry box for a while. They are especially good for silver, by the way. Unfortunately, they are really bad at removing serious grunge. For that, a steamer and an ultrasonic is best.

I carry one of the Jewel Jet steamers in my bundle of supplies when I go to stores and client locations for appraisals and I really love it. There are several things about the JJ that work well for my application. It''s small and packs fairly easily. It''s pretty durable with no unneeded parts to break off. It''s fairly discrete and isn''t industrial ugly. It heats in about 3 minutes, cools in about 5. They''re reasonably priced. Professionals will mostly find it inadequate because the pressure only lasts for about 5 seconds before it needs to take a break. I sell them by the way. This is acceptable if you only have one or two pieces to clean but a jeweler would go crazy trying to use one of these. Users who are accustomed to the SteamMaster type equipment will also be very disappointed with the steam pressure.

I don''t carry an ionic cleaner because it doesn''t really do what I need. Tarnish isn''t really a problem in doing an appraisals, I want to clean off the crud that prevents me from examining the stones properly. The Salton unit looks pretty good for consumer use. They are tokenly cheaper but they have too many little parts and I''m confident that I would break it in my routine.

By the way, use distilled water in both of them. Tap water leaves water spots.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dave,

The only application I''ve seen where jewelers are happy with them is to put them in or near the showroom for cleaning of items that customers are unwilling to let out of their sight while you take it back into the shop and for small stores that don''t have a shop room at all. They work ok and don''t make the showroom look like a factory. They still make the noise, which can be distracting, but otherwise they serve pretty nicely.

Neil

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Which unit is physically smaller. The Salton or the Jewel Jet? Thanks.

My g/f really doesn''t have much jewelry to clean. Just the solitaire ring, another eternity style ring, and possibly a silver necklace. I think the only one she cares enough about to clean would be the solitaire ring.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/29/2004 1:18:11 PM
Author: codex57
Which unit is physically smaller. The Salton or the Jewel Jet? Thanks.

My g/f really doesn''t have much jewelry to clean. Just the solitaire ring, another eternity style ring, and possibly a silver necklace. I think the only one she cares enough about to clean would be the solitaire ring.
The Jewel Jet ix 10" x 7" x 6".

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil
you said; By the way, use distilled water in both of them. Tap water leaves water spots.

using distilled water is the way to go, but when you go to the restroom and wash your hands wouldn''t that leave water spots on the diamond ?

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
When a jeweler professionally cleans an item (diamond), is he able to get rid of any hard water build-up?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2004 6:34
6.gif
0 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 12/29/2004 4:10:34 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

using distilled water is the way to go, but when you go to the restroom and wash your hands wouldn''t that leave water spots on the diamond ?
Yes, it does. And on the metal.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver
so theres not much your can do to avoid water spots then.
15.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2004 5
6.gif
6.gif
4 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
I''m looking into buying a steamer but, don''t know to go with the Salton combo cleaner or the jeweljet steamer ? i already have a (2 QT) gemoro heated ultrasonic cleaner but it takes forever to heat up (20 min) any suggestion ?
any suggestion ? which one ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
help !!!!
which one to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results