shape
carat
color
clarity

Salton Jewelry Spa...again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, my hubby bought me this fab Jewelry Spa and it came yesterday! I tried it this morning and it works great! I do have a couple questions though.

1. A lot of water comes out with the steam when I press the steam button a second time to get a more powerful steam. Is this normal?

2. Is it okay to leave the water in the steam resevoir (spelling?) and the cleaning solution/water in the cleaning section? Or should I dump it every time? I''d hate to waste all the cleaning solution like that.

3. There was a lot of talk about the company not making the cleaning solution anymore. Is this true, and if so has anyone found a replacement and where can I get it?

It cleaned jewelry that I couldn''t get in all the little spots with a toothbrush. My jewelry looks terrific. Now all I need is a buffing wheel!
9.gif
Just kidding... My hubby was so funny because he was eager to see what the steamer was like. You know how guys are with buttons?? Well he put his wedding band under the steamer and kept pressing the button lol!
20.gif
I am impressed on how it shines up gold that other cleaners just don''t do!

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay: this sounds so cool... i think i might need (yes, need) one of these.

but someone please tell me exactly what it is. a jewelry bath? a steamer? an ultrasonic cleaner? and, is it safe for pave?
33.gif

someone, please--help me make an impulse purchase!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
This is an awesome electro cleaner...it cleans without shaking like an ultrasonic does. It has a separate area for water only and it has a steamer built in. Definately a MUST HAVE! It''s about $60...here''s where I bought it:

http://store.yahoo.com/digitalkitchenstore/jw10.html

I don''t have any pave, but others do and they say it is safe. Here''s a link to the original thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/salton-jewelry-spa-is-awesome-for-cleaning.20784/=

ENJOY! And you''ll end up buying one...guarrenteed!
31.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
damnnnn, i just spent like 2 hours reading that whole thread and i feel like i''m more confused than when i started. if all of you who participated wouldn''t mind giving me the cliff notes answer to two basic questions:

1) is it really safe for pave? i saw all kinds of back and forth on, it''s ionic, not ultrasonic, no, it''s electo, not ionic, no, it''s both electro and ionic . . . i don''t get it! but, experts, can i safely use it on my pave? (techinically, i think my ring is actually bead set. but same diff.) or should i just stick to my windex to be safe?

2) what is the deal with the replacement cleaner? am i going to use it three times and then be SOL? or did someone somewhere find something else that''s safe to use in there? ahhh!

oh, and one more:

3) does the steamer part really work well? that''s the part that seems really cool to me! but does it work? what exactly is it supposed to do?

help me out homeyz!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the contact info for your questions: 1-800-233-9054 email: [email protected] website: esalton.com
Although the website didn''t have much info (but I didn''t look to hard). It''s also $20 more expensive there.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2004 3:23:57 PM
Author: reena
damnnnn, i just spent like 2 hours reading that whole thread and i feel like i''m more confused than when i started. if all of you who participated wouldn''t mind giving me the cliff notes answer to two basic questions:

1) is it really safe for pave? i saw all kinds of back and forth on, it''s ionic, not ultrasonic, no, it''s electo, not ionic, no, it''s both electro and ionic . . . i don''t get it! but, experts, can i safely use it on my pave? (techinically, i think my ring is actually bead set. but same diff.) or should i just stick to my windex to be safe?

2) what is the deal with the replacement cleaner? am i going to use it three times and then be SOL? or did someone somewhere find something else that''s safe to use in there? ahhh!

oh, and one more:

3) does the steamer part really work well? that''s the part that seems really cool to me! but does it work? what exactly is it supposed to do?

help me out homeyz!
Reena,

Ionic and electro- are names for the same thing. Yes, it''s safe for pave.

I''ve ordered a bucket of the replacement cleaner but it hasn''t arrived yet. I''ll post a message when it''s here. The gemsparkle cleaner works fine but the powdered type seems to be more popular.

The steamer is a poor imitation of the ones that jewelers use in their shops but, yes, it works pretty well. The $58 price that was posted above is a really good deal by the way.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 3:23:57 PM

oh, and one more:

help me out homeyz!
I love this unit! I''ve had it a week and keep looking for more things to clean. I can see when friends visit, taking them on a trip to see the Salton Jewelry Spa and cleaning their rings
9.gif
I had always heard that I could just use ammonia and water and a soft toothbrush and that would expertly clean my jewlery. I never felt like it was really clean. With this I am amazed at the sparkle that comes off my stones.

I''m not sure about the pave, but I have a few channel set pieces and no problems there.

Regarding changing the water, I leave the water in the steam unit and have used the cleaning tank water multiple times. Looking at the amount of powder that comes with the unit, it will be at least 9 months to a year before I run out. Some member here was purchasing a bucket of the cleaner and going to package and re-sell. It''s back in the other thread, and don''t remember who.

The steamer is my favorite part, but if you have an espresso machine at home, the frother would do the same thing. Using the tweezers that come with the unit, you hold your piece of jewelry in front of the steam and the dirt and grime that might not have been removed in the first process is blown off, for lack of a better word
9.gif

I''m pleased with the unit. Yes, sometimes the steamer will shoot a little more water, rather than steam, but seconds later there will be a huge blast of steam. If you let the unit warm up for about 10-15 minutes before using, then everything works beautifully and make sure not to overfill the water tank.

Hope I''ve helped
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks guys!

but ugh, how do i know my pave is properly set? i assume it is, but heck, how do i know? (i guess i know when i get my jewelry spa and all the little diamonds end up at the bottom of the machine, eh?)

but from what dave said--is steam a bad idea for pave??? why would it be?

Edited to add: thanks libster!! sounds like everyone really loves this thing. i'm thisclose to buying it!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 4:31:46 PM
thanks guys!

but ugh, how do i know my pave is properly set? i assume it is, but heck, how do i know? (i guess i know when i get my jewelry spa and all the little diamonds end up at the bottom of the machine, eh?)

Edited to add: thanks libster!! sounds like everyone really loves this thing. i''m thisclose to buying it!
You can always send it back if you don''t like it. If you are a perfectionist, you might find some of the quirks, i.e., the water at times with the steamer, will bother you. I think of it as, I paid $60 for a jewelry cleaner that does a great job for an at home cleaner, and I got two cleaning mechanisms in one! Keep us posted....

reena

Ideal_Rock
i am a perfectionist but not about retail purchases.
1.gif
my one and only real concern is whether the bath and/or the steamer can in some way hurt my precioussssssssssssssssssssssssssss

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 4:41:36 PM
Author: Libster

Date: 11/19/2004 4:31:46 PM
thanks guys!

Edited to add: thanks libster!! sounds like everyone really loves this thing. i''m thisclose to buying it!
You can always send it back if you don''t like it. If you are a perfectionist, you might find some of the quirks, i.e., the water at times with the steamer, will bother you. I think of it as, I paid $60 for a jewelry cleaner that does a great job for an at home cleaner, and I got two cleaning mechanisms in one! Keep us posted....
I like the water that comes out because it kinda rinses the cleaning solution off the jewelry and steams at the same time. In the cleaner''s instruction booklet there is a chart showing what kind of stones and metals can be cleaned and how. Some jewelry you let soak in the warm solution without turning the the cleaner on...then steam it. It doesn''t however, mention anything about pave.
I do have a pendant that is invisible set with princess cut diamonds...that never went in the ultrasonic, but can put it in this new Salton cleaner. It really is a great unit.

tinkyy

Rough_Rock
Not to be one that does things the easy way, what are those commercial units that I see jewelers use in the diamond district, and where do I get one of THOSE???
30.gif
Used is okay...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"my one and only real concern is whether the bath and/or the steamer can in some way hurt my precioussssssssssssssssssssssssssss"

Get the thing insured and stop worrying about it. I bet your ring will take more wear and tear on your hand over time than in the cleaner. Esp with pave.

The Salton thing sounds kind of cool, but I'm probably too lazy to search it out and buy it.
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
it is insured, but i still don't want to do anything stupid with it, and i'd heard that certain types of electric cleaners can be bad for pave. just doing my due diligence!
9.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/19/2004 5:51:30 PM
Author: tinkyy
Not to be one that does things the easy way, what are those commercial units that I see jewelers use in the diamond district, and where do I get one of THOSE???
30.gif
Used is okay...
Here's a pretty popular commercial steamer. If you're ok with the price, you might want to notice the weight as well.

Neil

ninasstar

Rough_Rock
Reena, I use it on my pave tacori rings all the time...you will be very happy with it.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got mine to make bubbles and do its electro-magic, but I have to press down on the basket handle in order for the two metal dealies to hold contact. That''s no biggie, though, since the cleaning cycle only lasts a minute. Now that I got mine to work, I love my Salton jewelry spa! It''s awesome!

I don''t think you have to worry about the steam being powerful enough to blast pave out of your ring. I made my husband put his finger in the puff of steam, and he said that while it was extremely hot, the pressure wasn''t all that powerful.

I don''t understand the whole electro- or ionic-cleaning process, but whatever it does, it sure lifts dirt and oil out of all my jewelry''s nooks and crannies.

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2004 6:53:58 PM
Author: mrs jam

I don''t think you have to worry about the steam being powerful enough to blast pave out of your ring. I made my husband put his finger in the puff of steam, and he said that while it was extremely hot, the pressure wasn''t all that powerful.
Mrs. Jam, too funny!! You sound like my kind of gal. It''s just what I would have done!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
It was only his finger. It''s not like I made him steam his weiner. Although they do plump when you cook them.

reena

Ideal_Rock
LOL!

reena

Ideal_Rock
oops--deleted double post. sorry

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2004 10:29:13 PM
Author: mrs jam
It was only his finger. It''s not like I made him steam his weiner. Although they do plump when you cook them.
mrs jam
he rather for you to steam his weiner then one of his silver dollars...LOL

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love LOVE this unit. I agree with the other poster who said that they like that the steamer has a little water come out with it. I definitely use that water as "rinse" because the soapy cleaner can leave a dull film. Sometimes I press the steam function twice just for a little extra rinsing. I check the cleaning job of all my diamonds with a 10x loupe (of which illicits much laughter from my DH). No water spots and not a lint or anything.

One thing I do is let my jewelry soak while the unit is heating up. The unit does heat up HOT! So don''t forget about it. I forgot one evening and when I checked it, the water was almost boiling! That was ok that time, cuz it was diamonds only, but it''s not good to forget about it.
23.gif

I love how this unit makes my jewelry look. SPOTLESS so every bit of sparkle can be appreciated. I will order a couple more for back up.

Reena, your most beautiful ring will be fine in this unit. I have a pave set diamond RHR and nothing that I have or methods that I have used, cleans all the nooks and crannies better. Something about that hot water soak, then the sonic/electro cleaning bath, and the final hot rinse/steam just gives your jewelry the same look that you''d get from a professional cleaning. I know, because I have compared. I took my RHR to be cleaned professionally, immediately wrapped it in tissue paper, then went home and cleaned my e-ring with the salton. I then compared the 2 side by side with sunlight behind me under the 10x loupe and they looked the same. (My RHR has a 1.25ct. center stone amidst the pave) and my e-ring is a 2.40 solitaire. Both were just gorgeous, clean and sparkly. This unit is well worth owning!
39.gif
29.gif
That''s me crying and upset that I didn''t have it before!

Luv
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
wow LMS--you are a cleaning perfectionist! lol! okay you guys have convinced me--it''s going on the xmas list!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
You have all convinced me too. I must get the Salton Jewelry Spa!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone compiled a list of websites of where you can buy the illustrious Salton? I think I need to add that on my x-mas list!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 9:45:28 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds
Has anyone compiled a list of websites of where you can buy the illustrious Salton? I think I need to add that on my x-mas list!
Here is where I bought my cleaner for $60:

Salton Spa

Here is the company website which lists the price at $80:

Another site for Salton

Hope this helps! I''m sure Santa will be good to you!
2.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Orbaya,

Thanks for the info. I sure hope Santa will be nice to me. I have been an extra good girl this year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results