shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby and friends

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 5:25:10 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Tried one of TL''s tricks for the spess and got a pretty good result
Holy moly! That''s a great picture!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ruby looks good but I''m with you that the spessartite really deserves to be set first.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Harriet - Thank you, and I am on the cusp

Chrono - I am planning on spending a little more money than I normally do for the spess. So I am waiting until my salary goes up, but it will be worth it in the end. The ruby will probably hang out for a while. I like to have a few loose stones sitting around. But eventually, it will have a home.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Your ruby is gorgeous!! I''ve been looking on and off on ACS and I don''t think I''ve seen that ruby listed; its very pretty!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
And of course the spess is amazing! It looks truly electric..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlF,
The spessartite looks sooooo much better and more neon in these latest pictures. Very nice!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I would not have been able to get those photos without the tips you gave when you were photographing yours!

ETA: I put this in another thread, but I have decided to return the ruby. I love rubies, but this one is not the perfect stone for me, and I found another stone that I loved more. I wish I could afford to have them all, but life does not work that way.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2009 8:57:40 PM
Thanks. I would not have been able to get those photos without the tips you gave when you were photographing yours!

ETA: I put this in another thread, but I have decided to return the ruby. I love rubies, but this one is not the perfect stone for me, and I found another stone that I loved more. I wish I could afford to have them all, but life does not work that way.
I thought the ruby was a bit too dark in tone, and didn't look like a ruby, but more like a purple sapphire.

You really cannot thank me, although I appreciate it. I learned my spessartite photography trick from ColorMyWorld actually, so we both have him to thank!!
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Just scoured his site again; do you have to be registered to see the ruby?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
sch07 - he took it down after it sold. I am sure he will put it back up after he has it in his hands. This is the only ruby he has ever cut, and I don''t think he will ever cut one again.

TL - I agree it is dark, but it is not as purple as it looks. When I pulled this thing out of the box, my subjective first thought was "oh yeah, this is a ruby." It looks red in most lighting situations and in bright light has a hint of the pink purple you are seeing. But it is not exactly what I want, and I really can''t justify two stones in 1 month when I am setting stones as well.

It is pretty, but I guess as Harriet says, it just dosn''t "speak to me." I am sure someone else will love it, and if anything, I know Berry really likes this stone.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I agree, beautiful collection!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Got it! I wonder why he doesn''t cut many.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 6:47:49 PM
Author: szh07
Got it! I wonder why he doesn't cut many.

I think the rough is difficult to obtain. I am not totally sure. He had no problem with me returning it, at the worst it is going back to his personal collection and he doesn't seem to be upset about that at all. I would rather the stone be with someone who really admires it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmn. Most of the gem websites seem to only carry one or two if any at all (with the exception of NSC of course), so that must be it. I read about a new find in Winza, Tanzania, and there seem to be some really gorgeous rubies coming out of there.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 7:30:50 PM
Hmmn. Most of the gem websites seem to only carry one or two if any at all (with the exception of NSC of course), so that must be it. I read about a new find in Winza, Tanzania, and there seem to be some really gorgeous rubies coming out of there.

I think a lot of rubies are cut at the source since they are gemstones that bring in a higher price, and the cutting helps increase that price. Also, the import of burmese rubies has been banned so that cuts supply. I don''t have much trouble finding native cut rubies, but you are right, there are not a lot of rubies cut by American cutters. If they bought previously cut stones, and re-cut them, they would probably loose money because caret weight is a bigger determination in overall cost than cut quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 7:59:47 PM

I think a lot of rubies are cut at the source since they are gemstones that bring in a higher price, and the cutting helps increase that price. Also, the import of burmese rubies has been banned so that cuts supply. I don''t have much trouble finding native cut rubies, but you are right, there are not a lot of rubies cut by American cutters. If they bought previously cut stones, and re-cut them, they would probably loose money because caret weight is a bigger determination in overall cost than cut quality.
There are also so many unscrupulous treatments done to rubies that for anyone spending a great deal of money on one, a thorough report from a highly accredited lab is an absolute must.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 8:30:02 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 7/17/2009 7:59:47 PM

There are also so many unscrupulous treatments done to rubies that for anyone spending a great deal of money on one, a thorough report from a highly accredited lab is an absolute must.

Very true! Lately, a lot of the cheap rubies I''ve seen are lead-filled/fissure filled on top of being heated. I haven''t bought one, but I am curious to see if filling is easy to detect by the eye. (Judging by pictures it doesn''t really seem to be obvious, except that the prices are too good to be true)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ruby and the other stones are beautiful as well!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 2:35:02 AM

Very true! Lately, a lot of the cheap rubies I've seen are lead-filled/fissure filled on top of being heated. I haven't bought one, but I am curious to see if filling is easy to detect by the eye. (Judging by pictures it doesn't really seem to be obvious, except that the prices are too good to be true)
That's so true and I don't think the filling can be detected by the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results