shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I recently saw a very tiny photo of Camilla, DofC, wearing what was referred to as the Cubbit-Shand tiara. The poster stated that it was her family tiara. Does anyone have a larger photo they could post and any information on it? Thanks so much.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I am assuming her brother owns it and Camilla, DofC, has the most opportunities to wear it and has borrowed it in the past, especially since it was referred to as a family tiara (don't know how many opportunities her sister has to wear it). Perhaps Bobby can shed some light on the design or history. In the close up photo you posted, it just looks like some sort of a swirl and in the small picture I saw it looked lopsided/off-center. I don't know if that was the photographer or the way it was being worn. Anyway I remain curious about this particular piece. Thanks

aragon

Rough_Rock
nepal king crown

The ‘Shri Pench’ is the once revered crown worn by Nepal’s Shah dynasty of kings, who were called ‘Shri Panch’, a reference to their sway over five kingdoms. The crown is easily identifiable because of the long, bird of paradise plume descending from the jewel-studded ornament at the apex of the turban-like crown.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Aragon! What a beautiful crown & so unusual. It's hard to tell, but I assume it's made all of pearls? Gorgeous. Are the briolettes emeralds too -- on my monitor they are difficult to see. Would love to see more Nepalese royal jewels!

Bobby -- congratulations on your presentation. It sounds like it went off well & was informative -- I'm sure most of the listeners learned a great deal. Let us know when the marks come out -- you're bound to be top of the list.

I wish, with you, that Queen Margarethe would wear her pearls with the clasp in front -- would make things easier for us! I did a quick search & came up with no photos from behind of her wearing it. She did wear that necklace to the Civil Wedding (I think it was) of Princess Victoria. If there are any photos of her with her coat off, they might show something. From the photo you posted, I can't tell at all what the clasp stone is. Frustrating!

Laurensmama -- the Cubbitt-Shand tiara was originally owned by Sonia Rosemary Cubitt, Baroness Ashcombe. Her maiden name was Keppel -- she was the DoC's grandmother and Alice Keppel's daughter. Here are 2 photos of Camilla's daughter Laura Parker-Bowles's wedding, where she wore it. Pretty bride, btw.!

I would be overjoyed to wear my great-grandmother's anything in my wedding -- but especially if it were a tiara!

--- Laurie

_3272.jpg

57547450.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1358989972|3362568 said:
(...)

Bobby -- congratulations on your presentation. It sounds like it went off well & was informative -- I'm sure most of the listeners learned a great deal. Let us know when the marks come out -- you're bound to be top of the list.

I wish, with you, that Queen Margarethe would wear her pearls with the clasp in front -- would make things easier for us! I did a quick search & came up with no photos from behind of her wearing it. She did wear that necklace to the Civil Wedding (I think it was) of Princess Victoria. If there are any photos of her with her coat off, they might show something. From the photo you posted, I can't tell at all what the clasp stone is. Frustrating!
(...)
--- Laurie

Thank you, Laurie! I'll report when I have more info about the marks :)

The civil wedding of Crown Princess Victoria? I think you're mistaken, Laurie. Victoria & Daniel's 2010 wedding was white tie and Daisy wore the pearl parure with a light green gown. What's more, the wedding was in June and coats were not worn ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1358969474|3362365 said:
I am assuming her brother owns it and Camilla, DofC, has the most opportunities to wear it and has borrowed it in the past, especially since it was referred to as a family tiara (don't know how many opportunities her sister has to wear it). Perhaps Bobby can shed some light on the design or history. In the close up photo you posted, it just looks like some sort of a swirl and in the small picture I saw it looked lopsided/off-center. I don't know if that was the photographer or the way it was being worn. Anyway I remain curious about this particular piece. Thanks

This tiara has always been a mystery. It hasn't been shown in exhibits and we've only seen Camilla wearing it (first at her first wedding and then at some other events). IMO, the tiara is part of Mark Shand's estate, as her is the only son. Thus, the Duchess has borrowed it from him after her wedding(s). But this is only a speculation. Nothing has been officially said about this tiara and other private jewels worn by HRH. As far as we know, The Duchess of Cornwall has some of her mother's jewels (the diamond serpent necklace and the turquoise set to name but two) and I have seen her sister with an impressive necklace, which might come from her mother Rosemary's collection, on a few occasions.

JewelFreak|1358989972|3362568 said:
(...)
Laurensmama -- the Cubbitt-Shand tiara was originally owned by Sonia Rosemary Cubitt, Baroness Ashcombe. Her maiden name was Keppel -- she was the DoC's grandmother and Alice Keppel's daughter. Here are 2 photos of Camilla's daughter Laura Parker-Bowles's wedding, where she wore it. Pretty bride, btw.!
(...)

What is this assumption based on? Who and when said this?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Due to some bug in the system I wasn't able to post this last night...
At the State Banquet in honour of the Dutch Queen, the prince of Orange & his wife in Singapore, Queen Beatrix wore Queen Emma's floral tiara (her favourite), the riviere from Queen Wilhelmina's festoon necklace (the largest riviere in the Dutch collection), a few diamond stars and two pendants from Queen Emma's devant-de-corsage as earrings. Princess Maxima wore Queen Wilhelmina's small tiara/hair comb, her chandelier earrings and Tuti-Fruti bracelet. Each royal lady wore a bracelet made from Queen Juliana's large East Indies bracelets.
PPE Agency has some nice photos from yesterday - Dutch galore in Singapore

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures of the Dutch Brunei state visit. I really needed a dose of tiaras and Queen Bratrix and CP Maxima never let me down! Thanks Bobby!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy to hear your presentation went well Bobby!! I have no doubt you'll get fabulous marks!

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has just announced that she is abdicating the throne! It'll be the first time since 1890 that the Netherlands has had a King! She will step down after Queen's Day in April.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
WithinDemise|1359396132|3365557 said:
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has just announced that she is abdicating the throne! It'll be the first time since 1890 that the Netherlands has had a King! She will step down after Queen's Day in April.

*Picks jaw up off floor*

Here's more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269665/Queen-abdicates-favour-middle-aged-son--sorry-Charles-THAT-queen-Holland.html

I am excited to see what CP Maxima will do with ALL the jewels now!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1359405693|3365740 said:
*Picks jaw up off floor*

Here's more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269665/Queen-abdicates-favour-middle-aged-son--sorry-Charles-THAT-queen-Holland.html

I was really surprised to read about Queen Beatrix's forthcoming abdication this evening, especially after the successful State Visits last week. It seems just so... soon! It's the first such change in my life as a royal watcher. Needless to say that I'm saddened for I admire HM very much and I feel that she has been a great sovereign and IMO Dutch people cann feel they've been blessed with a monarch like Beatrix. In the same time I'm happy that The Queen will be able to spend more time on things close to her and most importantly spend an even grater part of her time with her large family, and especially those in London (Prince Friso, Princess Mabel and their two girls). I'm also sure that HM must be happy to hand over the kingship to a new King who is very well prepared and start his reign in a relatively calm situation (apart from the economical crisis there's nothing serious in the Netherlands now, I believe).
On a more positive note, at least we're not mourning the physical loss of a beloved Queen ;-)
To be back on the topic of this forum, it is interesting to see what will happen with the jewels. Is Queen Maxima (it's been revealed that this is going to be her style after the abdication) going to have the sole use of the Mellerio sapphire and the Ornate pearl tiaras? Will we see the Crown diamonds parure (soon)? Will Princess Beatrix (I just so hoped she'd remain Queen!) attend more international royal events and what jewels she's gonna wear? But more importantly - Are we gonna have a glittering (white tie) ball after the Inauguration?

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LadyMaria|1359405693|3365740 said:
WithinDemise|1359396132|3365557 said:

*Picks jaw up off floor*

Here's more...

I would love to be in The Hague for Queen's Day this year.

It has been common for the Queen in Netherlands to abdicate in favour of her heir in the past few generations: Queen Whilmina abdicated in favour of Queen Juliana, who also abdicated. I think it makes a lot of sense: it allows the ruler to choose the best timing for the transfer of the Crown and it also allows the new ruler to have the support and council of the previous ruler. Considering all that has happened recently and how tired she seemed, even as she kept her official duties, she has earned her retirement.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Bobby, it's good to have you back. Things were a little slow here for a while.
I saw the headline about Queen Bea on CNN.com this afternoon. The first reason that popped into my head was Prince Friso.
It will be fun to see what jewels Maxima breaks out to wear.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I didn't realize this tiara was a mystery. The provenance mentioned on this site is certainly reasonable, though I don't know if there is any more hard & fast info.

This post of 11/29/2012 on Royal Jewels of the World seems to take it for granted it is owned by Mark Shand:

It's such a shame that she
: does not wear the Cubbitt-Shand tiara on
: more occasions. I can't imagine that her
: brother would have an issue with his sister
: borrowing the family tiara when no one else
: has a reason to wear it on such a frequent
: basis.

And I too can't WAIT to see Maxima in more jewels as Queen of Holland! Will miss dear Beatrix though; I think she's a sweetheart.

--- Laurie

RoyalWatcher

Rough_Rock
The tiara belongs to Mark Shand, nobody doubts about it. It has been often discussed on the RJWMB, and the Royal jewels Fan club also takes it for granted. The "problem" is : was it really made for Sonia Rosemary Cubitt, because it's a family jewel and nobody has detailed information about it :wink2:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
She likely possessed it & passed it down. Whom it was made for and by whom is anybody's guess. I haven't seen any claims on that anywhere.

--- Laurie

RoyalWatcher

Rough_Rock
Laurie,
She LIKELY possessed it doesn't mean she CERTAINLY possessed itUnfortunately, since there's no serious information about that tiara, all suppositions are just suppositions IMHO
That was I just meant :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
RoyalWatcher|1359593394|3367997 said:
Unfortunately, since there's no serious information about that tiara, all suppositions are just suppositions IMHO
That was I just meant :)

Indeed! So lets just call it Camilla's family('s) tiara and hope that something official will be written about this piece sooner than later (and I DO hope not in an auction catalogue!).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Okay, supposition. It is a reasonable one. I don't think it's pretty enough to care, frankly. There are many nicer tiaras whose history would be nice to know, or whose current whereabouts.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy 75th Birthday to Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands!!! May there be many happy returns, Ma'am!

u1366272.jpg
glitter49.jpg
42-25446183.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On the occasion of Hare Majesteit de Koningin's birthday, a new portrait was released yesterday - Birthday girl

You must click on Download deze foto and then on Hoge resolutie afbeelding to view/download the HQ

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Hi, all! Stumbled on a new blog I thought some of you might enjoy.

atiaraaday.blogspot.com

Happy reading!

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes BubblyBear, if you go to unofficialroyalty.com on the sidebar they have started listing as many royalty sites as possible. Official sites from the kingdoms, former rulers and items of interest such as jewelry. Some are old and no longer updated, but some are still going strong. Enjoy.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

It has been a slow time lately for posting but I am sure it will pick up soon. In the meantime.....

While enjoying a series of write-ups on the Cambridge Emeralds and the Delhi Durbar posted at the queensjewelvault blogspot, I started wondering how many stomachers Queen Mary had. I believe the only one I have seen is the Delhi Durbar Stomacher. I realize that they are hardly ever worn anymore (out of style, broken up, reset into other jewelry, or parts worn as brooches) but I do find the craftmanship and history attached to them very interesting. Also are there any examples in other royal houses? As always I realize we will probably never know the entire content of the various royal jewels around the world but would appreciate others' comments. Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results