shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Do you have pictures of Princess Diana's dress viewing at Buckingham Palace. Diana and the Queen together like Catherine and the Queen? Thanks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, sorry, I didn't look back to see who had written about Hassan before replying. Sorry also to Deb! Anyway, I get the impression that Noor does not have easy relationships with Hussein's family, outside of her own children. I read that after Abdullah became King, they had rather a difficult time getting her to move out of the palace, although Rania patiently gave her plenty of time, assuming Noor was mourning.

Valmae, welcome! The necklace Catherine is wearing in that picture dates to before her engagement to William. She wore it to the wedding of Harry Meade & Rosie Bradford on October 23, 2010. It is a disc set with diamonds(?) & a colored stone in the middle -- hard to tell whether it is a sapphire or an amethyst from the photos I've seen. Is it real?

oct2010necklace.jpg

jul1-11canadaday3.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1310712937|2969474 said:
Lady Emerald|1310686571|2969207 said:
TL|1310675067|2969048 said:
Kate's jewelry is really boring/simple, and not the caliber of jewelry I think of when I think "royal jewels." I know we're supposed to show it off here because it's her jewelry and she's royalty now, but honestly, I think I can find some of her same jewelry at my average department store. It's nothing to shout out about, unless when she's wearing something the Queen loaned her, like the Maple Leaf brooch for instance. Perhaps one day that will change when she is older and a bit more settled in "the Firm," but for now, I rather look at her clothes and shoes than her jewels.

She's very young, and perhaps, like most young women, she has simple taste in jewelry, and doesn't like anything very blingy, which is fine. However it's so boring to look at , for me anyways. I laughed when someone posted her citrine earring drops. It's funny to see that here when you normally see huge diamond earrings.

Liz Taylor (RIP) would be snoring by now.

I'm going to stick my neck out here so please don't cut it off.

I think her jewels AND clothes are BORING. I know she is young woman and has not come into her own but she dresses like a little girl. Most of the Canada clothes would have been better on a teenager. The navy suit at the very beginning, the lace dress and the green dress were age appropriate but the rest seemed just too young and too short. The evening gown was nice but not anything special. Oh and the red coat dress was great.

Having said that I think we may be in for a pleasant suprize when she is in her thirties and a little more sophisticated. She is a beautiful woman and when she figures it all out she will be stunning!

I won't cut your head off Lady Emerald. We are all entitled to our opinions. :))

I do remember Diana, as a young woman, even younger than Kate, wearing lots of jewels from the onset, and doing fabulously interesting things with them (remember the emerald choker headband?). Kate likes to keep things more simple and safe, which is totally fine. I get that, and it's working for her. I just laugh when I see her citrine drop earrings posted in a thread with giant diamonds, rubies, sapphires and the whole nine yards. I think we've all seen citrine drop earrings before as they're sold everywhere it seems. However, I understand why they're posted here, as in a way, they are jewels that belong to a royal, however mediocre they are.

I have never seen Kate, when she was dating William, with a single magnificent gem or expensive piece of jewelry, so she may also have some ambivalence to wearing them, as it can be quite intimidating. There are other people at the opposite side of the spectrum like Liz Taylor, that can wear a 50 carat diamond ring to a baseball game. :lol:

Bobby,
Thanks for the detail on Kate's diamond bracelet, now that's more like it!! :love:

The earrings are gorgeous too, but I agree, they would have truly shown off their splendor if she wore her hair up.

Just my two cents on this subject-- I think Kate (and William too) dresses impeccably and she simply doesn't like to overdo the accessories. Should she load up on jewels and styles of dress that is not what she is comfortable in or not her style? I think not. What I like about Kate is that she is a breath of fresh air to this family and a truly modern woman.
The comparisons to her late mother-in-law will last for the rest of her life and for that I feel sorry for her but she has shown, she is her own woman.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
westjenn|1311518064|2975709 said:
Just my two cents on this subject-- I think Kate (and William too) dresses impeccably and she simply doesn't like to overdo the accessories. Should she load up on jewels and styles of dress that is not what she is comfortable in or not her style? I think not. What I like about Kate is that she is a breath of fresh air to this family and a truly modern woman.

Fabulously said westjenn!! :appl:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1311571428|2976166 said:
LadyMaria|1311521473|2975730 said:

These simply don't look like the same earrings to me. The earrings Diana is wearing on the right have a cab in them that is significantly larger and darker than the smaller, faceted, much bluer stone Kate is wearing in hers. They look quite similar but not the same. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

I'm definitely not an expert but it seemed to me that Kate's seemed a bit smaller than Diana's

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara. It's just so graceful & light, like talented spiders wove it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
These simply don't look like the same earrings to me. The earrings Diana is wearing on the right have a cab in them that is significantly larger and darker than the smaller, faceted, much bluer stone Kate is wearing in hers. They look quite similar but not the same. Maybe I'm missing something?

It sounds in the articles I've seen like the Palace has confirmed they are Diana's earrings. It's really hard to tell in photos. Color can't be compared, with different lighting & different cameras & angles. I haven't found any pics of Kate taken from close enough to tell if the sapphires are faceted or cabs. Guess I'll take the Palace's word for it. I like them better with posts as Diana wore them than as dangles, but that's just me.

slide_35809_314995_huge.jpg

slide_35809_315001_huge.jpg

slide_35809_314996_huge.jpg

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1311608516|2976350 said:
I love the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara. It's just so graceful & light, like talented spiders wove it.

I agree, that tiara has always been a favourite of HM the Queen, and suited Queen Mary also. I liked it when worn without the bandeau base, though.

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Re: Diana/Kate earring debate
I am not a gemologist but I have the same style earrings (smaller diamonds around the sapphire though. Sigh). Against the ear they appear very deep, dark blue. Held out where light can hit them from the back, they are a true blue sapphire.

When Diana wore them (up against her ear) light did not get to go through the sapphires to any degree. When Kate had them changed to a drop, or dangle style, light was able to go through the sapphire and that changed both the look and color of the stone.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
jean95404|1311616558|2976412 said:
Re: Diana/Kate earring debate
I am not a gemologist but I have the same style earrings (smaller diamonds around the sapphire though. Sigh). Against the ear they appear very deep, dark blue. Held out where light can hit them from the back, they are a true blue sapphire.

When Diana wore them (up against her ear) light did not get to go through the sapphires to any degree. When Kate had them changed to a drop, or dangle style, light was able to go through the sapphire and that changed both the look and color of the stone.

You have a great explanation Jean. As people have debated whether these are the same earrings, I would figure they might look a little different as a dangle compared to a stud, but I just couldn't put my finger on why it would look different. You have provided me one that I understand even after taking my pain meds :wacko:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1311621911|2976487 said:
alexander1917|1311621767|2976484 said:
LadyMaria|1311532044|2975832 said:
I just might have to add this to my collection...

http://www.tiaratown.com/katetiara.html

funny that Cartier made the tiara in 1936 for Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603) LOL....

ROFLOL!!!! I hadn't caught that Alexander! Sharp eyes my friend!! :appl:

I wrote them yesterday about this "mistake" and their answer....!!!

"There are different versions or history for the tiara, we will double
check make sure the info is correct, thanks for your note
."

just a bit of google - and the RC site (for the this years BP opening) stated the history correctly.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Just read that CP Mette-Merrit's stepbrother was one of the victims of the shootings in Norway. How very sad...my heart goes out to her.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I like the altered style more. so every light move brings the "bling"

BP announced the state visit of the President of Turkey for November. Next Tiara Time! May the 1st for the DoCg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311615161|2976391 said:
These simply don't look like the same earrings to me. The earrings Diana is wearing on the right have a cab in them that is significantly larger and darker than the smaller, faceted, much bluer stone Kate is wearing in hers. They look quite similar but not the same. Maybe I'm missing something?

It sounds in the articles I've seen like the Palace has confirmed they are Diana's earrings. It's really hard to tell in photos. Color can't be compared, with different lighting & different cameras & angles. I haven't found any pics of Kate taken from close enough to tell if the sapphires are faceted or cabs. Guess I'll take the Palace's word for it. I like them better with posts as Diana wore them than as dangles, but that's just me.

It seems that some may have omitted one ofmys post, from around the time Catherine hirst wore them and a clear close-up from later on.
The stud earrings worn by the then Princess of Wales in both the articles and here have cabochon sapphires with a border of 10 diamonds. The earrings that Catherine now wears have a faceted central stone with a border of 9 diamonds. This is clearly visible in this photo:
sapphireearrings_closeup1.jpg
The earrings may not be the same as the ones worn by Diana in the photos, yet the stones they are made of most likely belonged to Diana. She had a pair of sapphire and diamond earring in which a pendant with saphires and diamonds was suspended from a single diamond, which was attached to a s/d cluster.
5446695.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1311622366|2976495 said:

."

just a bit of google - and the RC site (for the this years BP opening) stated the history correctly.

ROFLOL!!! Thanks for the anecdote, Alexander! This made my day! Now that you've alerted them it would be interesting to see if they'll change it.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Scotsgirl|1311616012|2976399 said:
JewelFreak|1311608516|2976350 said:

I agree, that tiara has always been a favourite of HM the Queen, and suited Queen Mary also. I liked it when worn without the bandeau base, though.

a younger Queen with some really nice diamonds (the GoGBaI tiara, and the Cullinan chips, Greville chandelier earrings, King Georg VI festoon necklace)

QU_d_chips.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311630012|2976584 said:

."

ROFLOL!!! Thanks for the anecdote, Alexander! This made my day! Now that you've alerted them it would be interesting to see if they'll change it.

Bobby

may.. may not.. don't know. I just think of the easy way to look for some information about a certain piece (in matter I will sell something) and the very hard way in some years ago, when only the books of Menkes and Field exists (with more then uncertaines and errors)

but to change a Queen to a Queen Consort (this style is not really used here) and this in centuries between is more than.... of course in those modern times may normal. lol

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1311629601|2976578 said:

BP announced the state visit of the President of Turkey for November. Next Tiara Time! May the 1st for the DoCg

It's unlikely that The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will attend the State Banquet, or any other part of the State Visit, but we can't know for sure just yet. Lets hope the banquet will be held at Windsor Castle, with a second gala in the Guildhall. It would be nice to see HM with the Orintal Circlet or the Vladimir tiara with the emerald drops once again.

And speaking of the OC, do you remeber the photo of the all-diamond version of this tiara? Well, I found the original in my files. I'm pretty sure this is the originalm, as here we can see the yellow gold setting of the rubies (the first one, at least).
QEQM709.jpg

Bobby

NSEB1958

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria, Sorry, But I haven't been on all weekend. I send belated get well wishes and I hope you get to feeling better very soon! I love your posts! Please take good care of yourself!

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311630673|2976594 said:
alexander1917|1311629601|2976578 said:

It's unlikely that The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge will attend the State Banquet, or any other part of the State Visit, but we can't know for sure just yet. Lets hope the banquet will be held at Windsor Castle, with a second gala in the Guildhall. It would be nice to see HM with the Orintal Circlet or the Vladimir tiara with the emerald drops once again.

And speaking of the OC, do you remeber the photo of the all-diamond version of this tiara? Well, I found the original in my files. I'm pretty sure this is the originalm, as here we can see the yellow gold setting of the rubies (the first one, at least).
QEQM709.jpg

Bobby

I think we will see some time before when details will be announced. they will stay at BP. sorry for that :(
I think they will attend - after the Canada tour - why not. step by step. and a guidance by the Grandmother would be better, than I expect a more short reign for the PoW - thinking of QV and Edward VII.

The Rubies would be great. but my favorites would be the Queen Alexandra Pearl set (the necklace lately worn by the Queen Mother) with brooch and earrings. This could be the first time for ages! may with the Vladimir (but this was out for the US) and QV JUbilee necklace.

I think HM doesn't like the OCirclet much. HM wore it only once (Malta?) and the rubies came out for the french visit 08 and the Arabs with the Burmese Ruby.

May the "white" OC was a photoshop to show how it would look in the original opals. - don't know. never heard of a reset after QA set it with the rubies in the early 1900's.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
alexander1917|1311630504|2976591 said:

."

Bobby

may.. may not.. don't know. I just think of the easy way to look for some information about a certain piece (in matter I will sell something) and the very hard way in some years ago, when only the books of Menkes and Field exists (with more then uncertaines and errors)

but to change a Queen to a Queen Consort (this style is not really used here) and this in centuries between is more than.... of course in those modern times may normal. lol

I also sent them an email about this...I figure if more than one person tells them they're wrong, they'll look back and realize, "Oh, Alexander was right." I received a similar response.

The best I can figure is that just got Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother confused, thinking they were the same person. For someone who doesn't follow royalty closely, that would be an easy mistake to make. I remember doing a presentation in 9th grade English on Queen Elizabeth I, and one of the comments from a classmate was how all the Anne's and Catherine's were confusing.

I'm off for an afternoon of blood tests, x-rays, and writing disgustingly large checks in preparation for my surgery on Friday. :cry:

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1311696017|2977077 said:
alexander1917|1311630504|2976591 said:

."

Bobby

I also sent them an email about this...I figure if more than one person tells them they're wrong, they'll look back and realize, "Oh, Alexander was right." I received a similar response.

The best I can figure is that just got Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother confused, thinking they were the same person. For someone who doesn't follow royalty closely, that would be an easy mistake to make. I remember doing a presentation in 9th grade English on Queen Elizabeth I, and one of the comments from a classmate was how all the Anne's and Catherine's were confusing.

I'm off for an afternoon of blood tests, x-rays, and writing disgustingly large checks in preparation for my surgery on Friday. :cry:

great!

of course it's confusing -that's why the most used the family nicknames - just when I think of the many Marias and Maries in Russia.
and to confuse a Queen (by own right) with a Queen Consort - yes I know not all know it. I just think of the answer of the King of Egypt after his escape of the question, which monachy will survive, and he said: "OH, I think only 5. 4 in a play of cards and the Queen of England."

I will think of you on Friday, and hope to have you back soon here :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
To Alexander:

In Turkey The Queen wore the ruby swag necklace and matching earrings with the kokoshnik. That's why I don't really think Elizabeth II will wear more rubies during the Turkish State Visit. Perhaps the Sapphire parure or the Girls o GB&I? Something in pearls would also be nice, thought I still hope for emeralds.

Yes, Alexander, the Oriental Circlet was worn in Malta (in 2005). HM first wore the ruby necklace in 2001 (!) when Abdullah II and Rania visited Great Britain for a State Visit.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results