shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cropped the photo above in an attempt to show more detail of the tiara and earrings worn by Princess Astrid.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

PrincessAstridofBelgium1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would write up what I found so far and let everyone else lend a hand in finding out more about the tiara and necklace as there is a great deal more to discover! I seem to have more questions than answers after doing a little research!

First of all, there are references that suggest that both the tiara and the necklace worn by Princess Astrid of Belgium belonged to the ancestor of her husband, Prince Lorenz, the Archduke of Aosta-Este: Princess Hélène d'Orléans. (She had been born the Princess Hélène, but became the Duchess of Aosta-Este when she married.)

Second of all, the origins of the necklace remain obscure. One reference said only that the diamond and emerald necklace had belonged to the first Duchess of Aosta (meaning Hélène). Another said that it was a wedding gift to her from the Duke of Aumale (le duc d'Aumale), who was her godfather and her uncle. (I would have to look up on a genealogy chart whether he is her uncle. The French translation is terrible. I think there is a typographical error. The word used in the French does not, to my knowledge, exist.)

The tiara has several references to it, but they are not tied together!

One reference says that it was made by the royal jeweler, Musy, for Her Royal Highness, the Duchess, Hélène. It says that the diamond tiara has Savoy knots as a main motif and that it could be worn in different ways. Another reference, which makes no mention of how the tiara was fashioned, describes who gave the tiara to Hélène. That reference states that King Umberto and Queen Margherita of Italy gave Princess Hélène, "a high crown with stars and sprays of diamonds of great size and value". Was this the tiara that is now worn by Princess Astrid? If not, are some of the stones in a rebuilt tiara? The gift was described in a June 26, 1895 article in, "The New York Times".

Princess Hélène married Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, the Duke of Aosta-Este on June 25, 1895 at St. Raphael's Catholic Church at Kingston-on-Thames, England, the same church in which the parents of Princess Hélène had been married in 1864 (the Count of Orléans and Princess Marie Isabelle, Infanta of Spain). She was marrying the nephew of the King of Italy who was also heir presumptive to the Italian throne. If the Crown Prince, Vittorio Emanuele (later King Victor Emanuel III), the first cousin of her husband, were to die without heirs (which then looked likely), her husband would one day be King of Italy.

Princess Hélène, herself, had had an active social life. She had been considered as the wife of both Nicholas II of Russia and the Duke of Clarence in England, whom she loved. The latter case is a sad one since the couple was in love and only the pope's refusal to let her convert stopped them from marrying.

I hope some of you can help me discover more about the origins about the emerald and diamond necklace and the diamond tiara. Is the tiara the gift from King Umberto and Queen Margherita? Or is it another one?

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb!

First of all I'd like to commecnt about the titles - when you say Archduke of Aosta-Este, you're actually mixing two separete tites - Duke of Savoy and Archduke of Austria-Este. The current Duke of Aosta is Prince Amadeo - a grnadson of Helene d' Orleans (later Duchess of Aosta) - the first person photographed with the huge emerald and diamond necklace. The current Archduke of Autria-Este is Prince Lorenz of Belgium - Princess Astrid's husband. His moter - HI&RH The Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este (nee Princess Margarita di Savoy-Aosta) now owns the diamond tiara and the emerlad necklace, which Astrid wears. She inherited them from her parents. She's also the first cousin of the present Duke.
The diamond tiara with Savoy knots as a main motif was a wedding present to Princess Helene, wife of the 2nd Duke. As you say, it could (and most likely still can) be worn in different ways - as a very large tiara with or without diamond clusters arownd the diamond stars/flowers, with only with the Savoy knots, or with the knot surmounted by the emerlad drops from the necklace. It now has a much more simple form and was last seen in an exhibition a couple of years ago.
aostatiara.jpg
VENARIA2009TRE.jpg
Elenad'Aostaemeralds1.jpg

Unfortunaly I'm not familiar with the story of the tiara we now see Pss Astrid wear. One of the few things I know about it is that it was first seen on Princess Anne d'Orleans, who in 1927 married the 3rd Duke of Aosta. There is a photo of her wearing it as a bandeau, low on the forehead. It is possible, to me at least, that it was a present from her parents. Her father was, of course, the filthy rich Duc de Guise. I for one have never been able to determine to which style it belongs - it most certainly isn't Art Deco and looks more like a late Belle Époque piece. Any thoughts?
aostaestetiara.jpg

All I know about the necklace is that (just like you say) it belonged to the first Duchess of Aosta (that must be Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo) and somehow fownd it's way to Helene and her descendants. Personally, if I was Princess Astrid, I'd have the emerald drops removed. turn two of them into earrings (a la Queen Anne Marie) and convert the rest into a large emerald tiara. I'd also leave the opportunity to re-convert it into a necklace.

To meake things even more complicated, I shall add that Helene d'Aosta had a second emerald and diamond necklace. As dar as I know, this was in fact Le Duc d'Aumale's present (Le Duc also owned the infamous Condé diamond). It was later sold by the Duchess' descendants (possibly because they already had an emerald necklace and this one had a lesser historical significance). I'm in love with it! Here's a photo:
elana%20of%20aosta%20emerald%20necklace.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for clearing up the confusion about the titles, Bobby. Truth be told, I am unfamiliar with most continental European titles and I easily confused "Aosta" with "Austria-Este" while juggling names that changed from "Elena" to "Hélène" at the drop of a hat as I switched websites and languages. I didn't even realize that King Humbert was the King of Italy (namely Umberto) when I first saw mention of him in one newspaper article! I just looked at it and thought, "When was there a King Humbert?"

At any rate, I quickly lost track of the jewels as I lost track of the cast of characters! As always, I take off my hat to you. You always unravel the tangled skeins. Thank you!

Deb/AGBF

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
14/07/11 Her Majesty the Queen of Thailand and HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn went out to grace the premiere of thai traditional performances (khon ) at the Thailand Cultural Centre. HM wore her favorite emerald necklace and earrings

Image_0.jpg

with the same earrings from this event

5_9.jpg

and the other earrings

4_14.jpg

3_16.jpg

2_21.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bobby & Deb, for the marvelous stuff. I agree w/Bobby that the tiara with only the Savoy knots would make an incredibly beautiful necklace. It's pretty in any incarnation.

Amayas, the Queen of Thailand's diamond & emerald earrings make me die of pure greed! I WANT them! Lovely lovely loveliest!

Princess Mathilde & the RF attended a mass for Belgium's National Day. She wore very nice aquamarine(?) earrings -- not sure if they are diamonds merely reflecting the color of her dress. (Bobby will know!) At another mass Mathilde went for statement earrings -- can't say these are my favorites, but I do love the matching cuff.

320.jpg

135.jpg

35.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1311331613|2974442 said:
14/07/11 Her Majesty the Queen of Thailand and HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn went out to grace the premiere of thai traditional performances (khon ) at the Thailand Cultural Centre. HM wore her favorite emerald necklace and earrings

Thanks for the glittering photos, AmayasV! It's always nice to see Queen Sirikit out and about, because she loves appearing splendidly bejeweled (or at least that's how I see it).
Her Majesty has another diamond necklace with a large (huge) cabochon emerald pendant. Perhaps it's the same stone?
649646.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1311310316|2974353 said:
Thank you for clearing up the confusion about the titles, Bobby. Truth be told, I am unfamiliar with most continental European titles and I easily confused "Aosta" with "Austria-Este" while juggling names that changed from "Elena" to "Hélène" at the drop of a hat as I switched websites and languages. I didn't even realize that King Humbert was the King of Italy (namely Umberto) when I first saw mention of him in one newspaper article! I just looked at it and thought, "When was there a King Humbert?"

At any rate, I quickly lost track of the jewels as I lost track of the cast of characters! As always, I take off my hat to you. You always unravel the tangled skeins. Thank you!

Deb/AGBF

You're most welcome, Deb! I also get confused at times, in this case because of the Orleans princesses that were married to Dukes of Aosta and the relations between the family members (cousins, granchildren, in-laws). Honestly, I had a genealogical chart before me in order to have things straight :razz: The different spelling of the of names is not a problem to me, prabably as I know an eastern language in addition to two south ones.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311338552|2974467 said:
Thanks, Bobby & Deb, for the marvelous stuff. I agree w/Bobby that the tiara with only the Savoy knots would make an incredibly beautiful necklace. It's pretty in any incarnation.

Amayas, the Queen of Thailand's diamond & emerald earrings make me die of pure greed! I WANT them! Lovely lovely loveliest!

Princess Mathilde & the RF attended a mass for Belgium's National Day. She wore very nice aquamarine(?) earrings -- not sure if they are diamonds merely reflecting the color of her dress. (Bobby will know!) At another mass Mathilde went for statement earrings -- can't say these are my favorites, but I do love the matching cuff.

This time I might disappoint you, Laurie, because I don't know a thing about these earrings. I can only help with a few better photos.
Earrings - possibly (if real) aquamarines, diamonds and amethysts, or topazes:
PPE11072145.jpg
Engagement ring and diamond bracelet:
PPE11072142.jpg
PPE11072150.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072142.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072150.jpg

More to come...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Later the day some members of the royal family attended a concert at the Palace of Fine Arts in Brussels.
The Queen wore a (new?) necklace with what looks to me as gray pearls, thought they might be metal beads:
PPE11072063.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072063.jpg
Queen Fabiola with graay pearls (HM seems to wear these all the time):
PPE110720205.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE110720205.jpg
The Duchess of Brabant's earrings - most certainly yet another pair of custome jewels (HRH also wore a bracelet, posted by Laurie above ):
PPE11072075.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072075.jpg
Princess Astrid wore one of her pairs of pearl and diamond earrings - far more appropriate than her sister-in-law, IMO:
PPE11072081.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jul2011/PPE11072081.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I must alert all of you going to London this summer and willing to see some Windsor treasures that during this year's summer opening of Buckingham Placae many works of art by Fabergé, as welll as The Duchess of Cambridge's wedding attire will be on display.

Here you can see and hear the podcast about the exhibition (also ft. some interesting info about the Royal Mews):
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=965

The microsites about the two exhibitions:
Royal Fabergé - http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalfaberge/
The Royal Wedding Dress - http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalweddingdress/MicroSection.asp?themeid=2444 (this one has wonderful close-up of the jewels)

And an article from the Daily Mail with more photos - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Queen-view-Kate-Middleton-wedding-dress.html

PS: This exhibiton made me think - Have you, fellow posters, seen a real royal jewel? If yes - what, when? I've seen a tiara, tie pins and jewelled orders, previously in the collection of the Bg royal family, in the National Museum in Sofia. I've also seen some ancient jewels (wreats, necklaces, earrings, bracelets), belonging to the ancient rulers.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was pleasently surprised today to understand that Prince Rashid of Jordan - the youngest child of Prince Hassan & Princess Sarvath - has married his fiancee Zaina Shaban in the presence of many European royals. At the wedding (attended by The King & Queen, Queen Noor, a.o.) one could see The Duke of Edinburgh, The Queens of Sapin and of Greece + Princess Irene, the Crown Pricess of Sweden & Prince Daniel, Crown Prince & Princess of Yugoslavia, the King of Bahrain, The Prince of Prussia + fiancee, Constantijn & Laurentienof the Netherlands, Princess Margriet + children, royals from Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Austria (Lorenz of Belgium), the Margrave & Margravine of Baden, The Princess of Tarnovo. I might've missed someone... At first I thought it's quite surprising, but then I remebered that Prince Hassan was Crown Prince of Jordan from nearly 30 years, and is still (together with Princess Sarvath) a regular attendee at major royal event on the continent.
It's too much writing, don't you think? Time fro some photos!
The royal guests:
634469637092103090.jpg
The happy couple with the groom's parents, the monarchs and consorts:
big13898.jpg

And here comes the most interesting part - the jewels! The new Princess wore her mother-il-law's floral tiara and a pair of long diamond earrings (a wedding present?):
big13904.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1311378700|2974923 said:
I was pleasently surprised today to understand that Prince Rashid of Jordan - the youngest child of Prince Hassan & Princess Sarvath - has married his fiancee Zaina Shaban in the presence of many European royals.

At first I thought it's quite surprising, but then I remebered that Prince Hassan was Crown Prince of Jordan from nearly 30 years

Yes, you made me remember the episode of King Hussein dismissing his brother as Crown Prince. I felt wounded on behalf of Prince Hassan when that happened, although I really knew nothing about him or his policies! As Prince Hassan, himself, speculated, I wonder if King Hussein's illness had affected the way he thought.

I loved the photos!

The story of Prince Hassan:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/08/world/brother-s-rare-criticism-of-jordan-s-late-king.html?ref=elhassanbintalal

Deb/AGBF

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Hello Bobby (if I may call you that)
You ask if any of us have seen Royal jewels. I have seen the Danish collection in Rosenborg, Copenhagen ,which included beautiful jewels ,not just Crowns etc. This was before I found this site and although I visit Denmark each year, I have not yet returned to Rosenborg. Time to do so, I think, because I have seen so much and learned so much from you people here, especially Bobby. Years ago, I visited the Tower of London and saw the British Crown jewels. I am sad to report that most of my memories of that visit are of (sorry guys!) US citizens saying 'OH MY GOD' and then walking away without taking the option of going to the higher walkway which was not moving and from where you could stop and see the jewels at your leisure.

NSEB1958

Rough_Rock
For your request Prince, I will come out of my dedicated lurkdom to say. I have been lucky enough to visit the Tower of London and see the crown jewels there. And for some really old jewels. I have been to the Pharoh Ramses II exhibit whe it came through the US. Both of these many moons ago. But I enjoyed the trips. Mainly for the workmanship that I knew it too to create any of the jewelry shown. I drool over all the lovely photos everyone posts and it never seems to stop amazing me with everyone's knowledge about the jewels and their owners. Thanks to all who keep the rest of us informed! :appl:

NSEB1958

Rough_Rock
Scotsgirl. I am one of the few in my group to stay on the upper walkway and look to my hearts content at the English Crown Jewels. I did speed by them on the moving walkway, but I hated that it moved so fast. The tour guide had to come an drag me and a couple of other away from the exhibit.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I was just about to post the pics of the Jordanian wedding when I found yours. Lovely bride & her jewels were just right. Very nice wedding altogether, although Queen Rania dressed as if she were on her way to the grocery store, odd choice. I read that the Jordanian royals are good friends with many of the European RFs which explains the presence of so many of them.

I haven't looked it up to refresh my memory but I recall that while King Hussein was ill, Prince Hassan and some of his supporters were making plans to depose Hussein & put Hassan on the throne before his brother died; apparently Hassan was too impatient to wait to inherit the throne. This plan came to light before they did anything & it was then that Hussein changed the succession.

I saw the British Crown Jewels too & spent a long time admiring them. I was entranced totally. At Malmaison they had a few of Josephine's jewels, and I tried several times to see the the ones in the Louvre but each time the gallery was closed for one reason or another. Disappointing. I also went twice to the exhibit of Pharoah Tutankhamen's tomb treasures: breathtaking. Even the furniture qualifies as jewelry, covered in gold & lapis & such magnificent workmanship & design. After I saw that and the bust of Nefertiti in Berlin, I felt I could die happy!

--- Laurie

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
NSEB1958|1311428929|2975160 said:
Scotsgirl. I am one of the few in my group to stay on the upper walkway and look to my hearts content at the English Crown Jewels. I did speed by them on the moving walkway, but I hated that it moved so fast. The tour guide had to come an drag me and a couple of other away from the exhibit.

Good for you, NSEB, I did rather feel at the time that for a lot of visitors (and to be fair, probably UK visitors also, except that they tend sometimes to look but say nothing---) it was a case of 'It's Monday, this is London, tomorrow, Paris, let's get moving!' :))

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The closest thing I've seen to royal jewels was the Diana exhibit, which I posted about in great detail on this thread.

I am going back to the hospital on Friday for a procedure to blast my kidney stone to smithereens. If all goes well I will be home that same night, but they may keep me overnight. Have to wait and see. I am glad that Zara's wedding is a bit more low key because I will not be in any shape to be up early watching coverage the day after the blasting.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And another thought just crossed my mind...what do you all think about tiaras for Zara? Do you even think she will wear one? If so, which one? I can think of 4 tiaras that the Princess Royal has worn...

1. The Scroll tiara: Call me crazy (or doped on pain meds :wacko: ) but considering that the Duchess of Cambridge wore it for her wedding, I doubt this will be worn by Zara. Oh yeah, and that small exhibit at Buckingham Palace might prevent Zara from wearing it too.

2. Aquamarine tiara: I will say no to this one as well since it has colored stones. Just not very bridal like IMO.

3. Festoon tiara: This makes a great wedding tiara, but Autumn Phillips wore it for her wedding. This is a very traditional tiara and I don't think it's any secret that Zara is NOT traditional. It just doesn't seem to be her style.

4. Greek key: If Zara wears a tiara, I think this will be it. One of the Munn books describes it "curiously comtemporary" despite the fact it was owned by Prince Phillip's mother so it is not a modern piece. This seems to be closer to Zara's style.

What do you all think?

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
New pictures from the Showing at Buckingham Palace!!!
"The dress that Kate Middleton, now the Duchess of Cambridge, wore at the Royal Wedding is to be put on display at Buckingham palace.....Cartier "halo" tiara worn by the bride, featuring around 900 diamonds and lent to her for the occasion by the queen."

135358-the-cartier-halo-tiara-worn-by-britains-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge.jpg

135359-the-wedding-earrings-of-britains-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-are-se.jpg

135334-the-wedding-dress-of-britains-catherine-duchess-of-cambridge-is-seen-a.jpg

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
The more I look at Catherine's wedding earrings, the more sure I feel that the Halo tiara will be the one that Catherine will wear at State occasions. Those earrings have been made in such a way that they echo the design of the tiara beautifully.

Regarding Zara, I would put money on the Greek Key tiara, if she wears one. Wouldn't it just be wonderful, though, if some hitherto unseen for years tiara made an appearance? I wonder also, if she would consider the fringe tiara worn by her mother and grandmother? Is it a bit too much bling for our Zara? ;-)

PS Get well soon, LadyMaria

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1311429327|2975164 said:
I haven't looked it up to refresh my memory but I recall that while King Hussein was ill, Prince Hassan and some of his supporters were making plans to depose Hussein & put Hassan on the throne before his brother died; apparently Hassan was too impatient to wait to inherit the throne. This plan came to light before they did anything & it was then that Hussein changed the succession.

This is probably a threadjack, Laurie, but if it a brief one, maybe no one will mind! I had read that King Hussein accused Prince Hassan of being about to grab power. My question is: would that make sense? Why, when King Hussein was dying, would Prince Hassan be unable to wait a few more months, after waiting 25 or 30 years, unless he already knew that if he waited, King Hussein would replace him? In other words, did he already know that he was about to be replaced by Abdullah when he allegedly plotted to become King before King Hussein's death? Was his alleged move to become king a pre-emptive strike, so to speak?

I don't expect you to have a definitive answer. I am just wondering about the palace intrigues might have been, and I don't expect that I shall ever know!

Deb/AGBF

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Scotsgirl|1311434122|2975203 said:
The more I look at Catherine's wedding earrings, the more sure I feel that the Halo tiara will be the one that Catherine will wear at State occasions. Those earrings have been made in such a way that they echo the design of the tiara beautifully.

Regarding Zara, I would put money on the Greek Key tiara, if she wears one. Wouldn't it just be wonderful, though, if some hitherto unseen for years tiara made an appearance? I wonder also, if she would consider the fringe tiara worn by her mother and grandmother? Is it a bit too much bling for our Zara? ;-)

PS Get well soon, LadyMaria

Thanks Scotsgirl! ;-) I just want this "rocky" experience over with!

I had forgotten about the fringe tiara...I like the idea of a third generation wearing it for her wedding. But as you so eloquently said, it probably is "a bit too much bling for our Zara."

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is one of my favorite tiaras, BB -- thanks for the link. It is SO beautiful.

I can see the Greek Key tiara on Zara. She has such individual & sharp style; it would look good on her. But I agree, it would be neat for her to wear a surprise tiara.

Bobby, again without looking it up again, I can't be certain, but as far as I remember, it was reported that the plan by Hassan & co. was real. I remember being surprised that Hussein didn't punish him in any way, at least banish him. Hussein could also simply have felt it would be better for the country to have a younger ruler with a chance for longer continuity. As you say, we'll never know. I do remember also that Noor was pushing hard for her oldest son, who was only about 18 at the time, to be named instead of Abdullah.

Maria -- be all better & feeling well soon!!!! Expect to see you wearing all your tiaras at once with a big smile! :wavey:

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1311445158|2975337 said:
Thanks Scotsgirl! ;-) I just want this "rocky" experience over with!

I, also, LadyMaria. I am sorry to be so late in expressing my best wishes for your recovery. I have been wishing you well, of course! I just left my manners somewhere else. You are in my prayers as well.

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311445494|2975343 said:
That is one of my favorite tiaras, BB -- thanks for the link. It is SO beautiful.

I can see the Greek Key tiara on Zara. She has such individual & sharp style; it would look good on her. But I agree, it would be neat for her to wear a surprise tiara.

Bobby, again without looking it up again, I can't be certain, but as far as I remember, it was reported that the plan by Hassan & co. was real. I remember being surprised that Hussein didn't punish him in any way, at least banish him. Hussein could also simply have felt it would be better for the country to have a younger ruler with a chance for longer continuity. As you say, we'll never know. I do remember also that Noor was pushing hard for her oldest son, who was only about 18 at the time, to be named instead of Abdullah.

Maria -- be all better & feeling well soon!!!! Expect to see you wearing all your tiaras at once with a big smile! :wavey:

--- Laurie

Laurie, you must be confusing me and Deborah, as I didn't comment on Prince Hassan and the Hashemite succession. I do, however, vagualy remeber reading a long and interesting article, possibly last year, after the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria. One of the things I remeber from that article (perhaps even the only thing) is that after the issues with the succession to the throne of Jordan there was a serious rift in the relations between Queen Noor and the former future Queen - Princess Sarvath. Queen Noor also doesn't/didn't enjoy a worm relationship with the new Royal Coupe and that's why she now divides her time between the USA and Jordan (HM's occasionally seen in the UK and in France).
Not feeling in the mood of making a further reserch, I want to believe that the late King Hussein wanted to have his descendants on the throne, instead og hs brother's. His wife, naturally, wanted her own son (better edukated, better looking than Abdulah) to be the next Hashemite King and lobied for him, while the grave-ill King made a wise decision and named his first-=born son Crown Prince. I also think that givvn the reasons why Hassan was made heir, this change was bound to happen sooner or later. Apparently, it took KH a while, probably because he knew he didn't have much time left.
Ohh... am I not living in an fairy tale world...

And here is an article about the matter and the latter from KH to PH:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/272678.stm, http://www.al-bab.com/arab/docs/jordan/hussein99.htm

Re Zara's wedding tiara - I hope she dons a tiara for this most unforgettable and happy day in her life. I can also see Miss Phillips with the Greek kay tiara of her great-grandmother Alice. Something tells me she won't wear the same tiara as her sister-in-law and that dear old Grandma England won't loan her something.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311429327|2975164 said:
Bobby, I was just about to post the pics of the Jordanian wedding when I found yours. Lovely bride & her jewels were just right. Very nice wedding altogether, although Queen Rania dressed as if she were on her way to the grocery store, odd choice. I read that the Jordanian royals are good friends with many of the European RFs which explains the presence of so many of them.

--- Laurie

I have the same trouble with Rania's outfit. It just doesn't say - Look! I'm a stylish royal. in the way Noor, Sofia and Anne-Marie's dresses do. The shirk and skirt combo is just too... common, certainly not fit for a wedding. On the other hand, I love it that Queen Noor, Princess Sarvath and Princess Haya often wear this kind of Arabian-inspired dresses (do they have a specific name?).

Yes, the El Hassan family enjoys a frendly relationship with many of Europe's royal houses. We saw them at The King of Sweden & The Prince of Wales's 60th birthdays, also at Victoria and Daniel's wedding, even Otto von Habsburg's funeral in Vienna. They've been present at Dutch and Monégasque occasions as well.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
iheartbora|1311432314|2975187 said:
New pictures from the Showing at Buckingham Palace!!!
"The dress that Kate Middleton, now the Duchess of Cambridge, wore at the Royal Wedding is to be put on display at Buckingham palace.....Cartier "halo" tiara worn by the bride, featuring around 900 diamonds and lent to her for the occasion by the queen."

Thank you for the additional photos, iheartbora!
Am I the only one to think that it's a pity to have the tiara and earrings placed on the mannequin, instead of in a show-case of their own, where the visitors would be able to see them more up-close?
I also believe this is how The Queen and Lady Diana's wedding dresses and jewels are/were shown (in the latter's case at least the earrings were shown on their own).

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results