LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Blue dress mention in previous post from Swan Lake

swanlakedress.jpg

Dianaswanlake.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Chapter 10: Althorp

I also bought a postcard pack, and it had a couple of cool pictures of the Althorp estate. I did a double take on this bedroom picture since it is labeled “The Princess of Wales Bedroom.” Upon further reading, it is not a bedroom for Diana, but rather a special room that was done for a visit of the then Princess Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales. I am a litte confused at the placement of the desk and sofa at the end of the bed. The desk is so close you can’t actually sit on the sofa.

This is the grand staircase at Althorp. Look at the top of the stairs to the right and you will see a portrait of Princess Diana. They had a close-up of this in the exhibit and the label said the portrait was done posthumously. Again, she was wearing the Cambridge emerald choker. Given her brother’s antipathy for the royal family (his portrait is to the left), I was surprised he chose to have any item connected with the royal family in this portrait.

princesswalesbedroom.jpg

grandstaircase.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Chapter 11: Farewell

A word of advice for any woman who sees this exhibit: do not wear mascara (at least make sure it’s waterproof). I was so excited about seeing the jewels and the dress that I didn’t think about how I would react to the section on the funeral. They had drafts of Earl Spencer’s speech and Elton John’s reworked “Candle in the Wind.” Then there was a video screen showing footage from the funeral, with “Candle in the Wind” playing. Hearing those lyrics again got to me. In front of the video screen, they had a roped off area that was covered in potpourri made from the millions of flowers left at Kensington and Althorp. Seeing those flower petals made me choke up too. This picture was on the outside of the exhibit where we were allowed to take pictures.

dianaendexhibit.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Chapter 12: The Ignorant Masses

Most of the people who were at the exhibit had a passing interest in Diana, but I didn’t see or hear anyone else who followed her to level that we Pricescope Royal Jewels people do. This was quite evident by some of the comments that I heard. After a while, some people were following with my cousin and I, and I did my small part to correct some of the misconceptions if they asked me directly. Here are the ones I wrote down:

“I thought Anne would be Queen!” This person thought that since Elizabeth was queen, that the females took precedence over the males. I explained that it was only because Elizabeth had no brothers. Charles, Andrew, Edward, and all their descendents are in front of Anne in the succession.

“William won’t be King because Harry is older.” This isn’t a misconception, just a wrong fact.

“Who will be the next Earl Spencer? Diana’s brother isn’t married.” He’s not married right now…he has two ex-wives, one ex-fiancée, and a current fiancée. This has led to six children, two of whom are boys. The older of the two boys will be the tenth Earl Spencer someday.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Chapter 13: The Cake

In the lobby of the exhibit, a bakery in Kansas City made a replica of the wedding cake. This was allowed to be photographed. So here I am (on the left) with my cousin in front of the cake.

weddingcake.jpg

weddingcakedeanna.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Chapter 14: Final Thoughts

Amazing…fabulous…stunning…incredible…touching…those are the words that comes to mind. I am still playing the whole day over in my mind and part of me still doesn’t quite believe I was there.

I read in a magazine last fall a review of the Althorp Exhibit, and the author basically said this was nothing more than a money-making scheme. I did not get that feeling at all. I thought was a well-done tribute to a woman who touched so many lives, and made every little girl feel like she could be a princess.

outsideunionstation.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Maria, wonderful info & pics! So great, I almost feel like I went with you!

I didn't realize either that Diana wore any of the RF jewelry after the divorce. I'm kind of glad she did; it looked so good on her.

Wish I could see the portrait at Althorpe better -- on my screen I can't even tell which one is Diana. (Can tell which is NOT -- the cavalier!)

Pretty cake -- I wonder if that form is usual in the UK or if it was something dreamed up between Diana, Charles & the baker. I hate fruitcake so passionately, would have passed on it if I'd been there. It's a custom that bewilders me, fruitcake for a wedding. Like the Dutch friend who lobbed prunes in custard at us for dessert once -- I could only think, "WHY?" But that cake is lovely to look at.

The desk at Althorpe is a writing desk -- you ring for a footman & ask him to move it out so you can sit down. =)

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1307911261|2944214 said:
Maria, wonderful info & pics! So great, I almost feel like I went with you!

This is exactly what I was trying to do...give everyone here at PS the experience vicariously!

The desk at Althorpe is a writing desk -- you ring for a footman & ask him to move it out so you can sit down. =)

ROFLOL!!!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Wish I could see the portrait at Althorpe better -- on my screen I can't even tell which one is Diana. (Can tell which is NOT -- the cavalier!)

I did some more digging for you Laurie...here is a better picture. At the grand staircase of Althorp it is up and to the right.

Althorp-Book-Diana-Portrait.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Maria,
Thank you so much. Seeing those form fitting dresses reminds me of what a beautiful statuesque tall woman she was. Diana was certainly a royal jewel herself. Thank you again!! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1307912895|2944228 said:

I did some more digging for you Laurie...here is a better picture. At the grand staircase of Althorp it is up and to the right.

Here famous ring is in that painting, never knew it was painted as well!!

jean95404

Rough_Rock
In the book the Emmanuaels wrote about the dress, they said that the whole back of the dress bodice was reinforced to be able to bear the weight of the train without tearing at the connection points. Hooks and eyes on the train attached to the bodice back. I have looked and researched everything I have that would explain those straps at the top of the train. I can't see where they would wrap on each side toward the front of the dress...guess I can write to Althorp and ask. I'll post any response I might receive on this site.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Maria, thank you for the pic of the pic of Diana! You're such a sweetheart. Nice one, but it doesn't capture her sparkle, I don't think. Love the way the jewels are painted.

Those ties on the train are mysterious. Doesn't interest anyone here but women, I'm sure, but I'm curious about it.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
At the church service Friday for Prince Philip's birthday the Queen looked springlike & nice, with her pearls & acquamarine clips.

article-2002723-0C86A48F00000578-401_634x737.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Catherine also -- are the diamond & sapphire earrings new? Don't recall having seen them before.

Speaking of earrings, the bride previously posted had a gigundous pair, I'll babysit them any time.

ETA: Oops, just realized I put the bride in the wrong thread, salaam, won't happen again. Should have gone in Tiaras. :cry:

article-2002723-0C869E0000000578-985_306x628.jpg

article-2002547-0C84C08400000578-520_634x617.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Maria! Wow! So thrilled for you...I bet this was such a great experience...thank you for sharing in such great detail, although it makes me even a little bit sadder to know that I missed out on this exhibit. I am thankful though, that I was able to read of your impressions! Thank you for posting all the pics and info too!

And hey, about "India's" bride's maids gown, I remember seeing her in interviews on TV WITH her gown, during the recent royal wedding festivities. So I wonder if that really was her gown in the exhibit? Would she have returned it to the exhibit with so little time remaining on the tour, after the wedding? Kind of an oops moment for them, either way though...they should know one dress from another. ;-)

JewelFreak|1307922656|2944323 said:
Hey, Maria, thank you for the pic of the pic of Diana! You're such a sweetheart. Nice one, but it doesn't capture her sparkle, I don't think. Love the way the jewels are painted.

Those ties on the train are mysterious. Doesn't interest anyone here but women, I'm sure, but I'm curious about it.

--- Laurie

I agree Laurie, that portrait of Diana is 'off' somehow...something about her nose is not quite right. Odd that they chose this one for display at their family home... :|

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1307923670|2944328 said:
Catherine also -- are the diamond & sapphire earrings new? Don't recall having seen them before.

I was reading in another forum that Catherine's new diamond and sapphire earrings are a gift from William and could be the stud portion of these earrings from Diana being made into drops. If so, it's exciting to see some beautiful jewelry out of storage and adorning a beautiful woman again.

I'd be interested in what others find out about these earrings.

Diana Sapphire Earrings.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
To have a figure to wear the gowns. :love: :love:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Diana and Charles got many fantastic presents (jewels) when they married. Does anyone know if any jewels were given to Catherine on the occasion of her wedding? I haven't heard of anything yet.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good question, Danny. Seems this time they did not release anything about wedding gifts. Very unusual. It could be part of W & C's wish not to seem flashy but it'd disappointing. I want to drool over them.

The Arab royals always come through with spectacular jewelry & it's hard to believe the Commonewealth countries didn't send anything, even if it were small due to tight budgets. Also the Queen must have offered more than a tiara. On the other hand, they wouldn't have received as much as Charles & Diana did: Charles was PoW at their wedding.

--- Laurie

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1307936763|2944480 said:

I was reading in another forum that Catherine's new diamond and sapphire earrings are a gift from William and could be the stud portion of these earrings from Diana being made into drops. If so, it's exciting to see some beautiful jewelry out of storage and adorning a beautiful woman again.

Hmmm.. hard to tell from the small pic of Catherine, but it does look to be the same size/shape of the stud part of Diana's original earrings...would be a neat makeover if so!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here are some bigger pics. If the PS photo-shredder doesn't shrink them.

What do you think? Same but customized? Different?

ETA: Boy, do I hate that hat!

AADS002127.jpg

prince-william-kate-sunday-church-with-prince-harry-03.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
They sure look the same to me! I can't see Catherine having anything made for her, that looks that close to Diana's..must be the same ones, modified for Catherine.

I think the hat is cute! What is wrong with it? But, LOL, after that infamous wedding hat disaster, NO hat looks bad to me anymore! :shock:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1307990021|2944859 said:
Here are some bigger pics. If the PS photo-shredder doesn't shrink them.

What do you think? Same but customized? Different?

ETA: Boy, do I hate that hat!

I blew up the earrings from a more high resolution photo of the one you posted. I think it has ten diamonds surrounding it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were Diana's. I don't think William has bought Kate any jewelry, and all she has is borrowed (the tiara on her wedding day), from her own private collection, or Diana's (the ring we know for sure so far). Therefore, I think she's going to be wearing some of Diana's jewelry here and there. They probably don't want to overwhelm her with Diana's pieces, as they are so recognizable. I don't think William is really that into jewelry, and even knows the carat weight of his mother's own ring, so it's not surprising he's giving her his mother's pieces.

The coat was worn before at a wedding she attended with William a couple of years back I think.

earringsblownup.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1307923548|2944327 said:
At the church service Friday for Prince Philip's birthday the Queen looked springlike & nice, with her pearls & acquamarine clips.

I love the Queen in blue. She looks so resplendent on such an important day. Congratulations to Prince Phillip on his new title, "Lord High Admiral" as well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. Probably the same -- the sapphires in Diana's earrings (from the Saudi watchband) had one sapphire w/12 diamonds & one w/10. Maybe Bobby has an opinion? He has the best eye for detail!

It's sapphire weekend. The Garter Ceremony: HM wore the earrings from the parure given to her by Sheik Rashid (I think) on her visit to Dubai in 2006. 2nd pic is her official Canada portrait wearing the set and the fringe tiara & diamond bracelet (forget the provenance of the bracelet). The necklace is soooo gorgeous.

--- Laurie

334.jpg

E & sapphires.JPG

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I noticed HM hat style has changed. I love it because it gives her height.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1307993254|2944902 said:
Thanks, TL. Probably the same -- the sapphires in Diana's earrings (from the Saudi watchband) had one sapphire w/12 diamonds & one w/10. Maybe Bobby has an opinion? He has the best eye for detail!

It's sapphire weekend. The Garter Ceremony: HM wore the earrings from the parure given to her by Sheik Rashid (I think) on her visit to Dubai in 2006. 2nd pic is her official Canada portrait wearing the set and the fringe tiara & diamond bracelet (forget the provenance of the bracelet). The necklace is soooo gorgeous.

--- Laurie

are you sure thats the same earrings? for me not. to the Canada pic it's one stone, the Garter one's looks more like 3 for me.
and it's not the "fringe" it's Queen Alexandra's Russian Kokoshnik style Tiara (a gift from the Peeresses of the UK for her silver wedding in 1888)

next coming ... Ascot week

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know anything about the cross pendant the D of Cambridge is wearing for the Garter Service?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1307936763|2944480 said:

I for one don't think they are the same pair of earrings because the sapphires in Diana's look darker than the sapphires in Catherine's pair. If you look at other photos from the service, you'll notice that there's a difference in the colours of the stones in the earrings and the ring, whereas there was no such difference in Diana's sappire jewels.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results