shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Life Magazine just came out with a special on "The Royals." I just bought it yesterday...it doesn't focus on jewels (there are a few good pictures I'll try to scan and post) but there is some great history. I especially like "biggest sword theorm".

Who decides who the king is? Usually the person with the biggest sword.

Who is claimant to the throne? Some who wishes he had a bigger sword.

How do you usurp a throne? See above (biggest sword theorm).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny said:
The panther bracelet (click on link, I don't know how to post pictures yet) is one of the most impressive jewels I've seen.

I knew about the panther/ sapphire brooch. I hadn't seen this.

Look at the feet! Wow!

Something that I always think about with the Duchess of WIndsor (of whom I am no fan, and it isn't the American thing or the divorced thing but the Nazi connections that I find untenable) is that I read that when she was very old (at least according to this source) she was a very lonely woman.

If this is true, all of those jewels didn't buy her happiness or fulfillment. They were magnificent jewels, though.

I always think of that photo of her and the Duke shaking Hitler's hand. Gives me the hee bee jeebees. :knockout: I know that they (the Duke and Wallis) were a big embarassment for King George and the rest of the royal family because of affiliation with Nazi Germany, especially after War was declared on Europe.

Oh well, she did have gorgeous jewels. Didn't Mohammed Al Fayed (Diana's bf's dad) buy all of her old belongings after she died? He probably has a lot of her jewelry.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny said:
The panther bracelet (click on link, I don't know how to post pictures yet) is one of the most impressive jewels I've seen.

I knew about the panther/ sapphire brooch. I hadn't seen this.

Look at the feet! Wow!

Something that I always think about with the Duchess of WIndsor (of whom I am no fan, and it isn't the American thing or the divorced thing but the Nazi connections that I find untenable) is that I read that when she was very old (at least according to this source) she was a very lonely woman.

If this is true, all of those jewels didn't buy her happiness or fulfillment. They were magnificent jewels, though.

Hi Danny! What you're saying is true. The Duchess was lonely in her final years, but I'd say this was because of the circumstances. In the the last decade of her life Wallis was too frail, she wasn't even able to speak, she wasn't the once glamorous Duchess of Windsor any more. And probably wanted people to remeber her the other way. She didn't even met with The Queen Mother when she was in Paris and, IIRC, Queen Elizabeth once said that she felt sorry for Wallis in the end.
But that was in the end, after David's death. I'm sure she enjoyed life, was happy and fulfilled when she was young and The Duke was still next to her. And what made her happier were her jewels... and Pugs.

And you're right once again - these are magnificent jewels! Though not to everyone's taste.

The Duchess of Windsor wearing one of her Panther bracelets and diamond solitaire (what was it's name?):

Wallis47542.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
CP Victoria of Sweden in Paris

VictoriaParisDag1.png

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
DIANA170807_468x561.jpg

Diana, Princess of Wales.

Just because. ;))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
73391373.jpg

Diana, Princess of Wales.

Sigh. :love:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine said:

Some backgroud info - TRH The Crown Princess & Prince Daniel of Sweden are on a two day official visit to France in connection with the Bicentennial of the Bernadotte Dynasty. Last night TRH attended a reception in the Swedish Institute in Paris. This is their first official visit abroad since they wed in June.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/104468177/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Josefine, do you think that the two hair pins in Victoria's hair might be two of the small rose brooches, usually used to secure sashes, in the family's collection?

Bobby

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Josefine said:

Some backgroud info - TRH The Crown Princess & Prince Daniel of Sweden are on a two day official visit to France in connection with the Bicentennial of the Bernadotte Dynasty. Last night TRH attended a reception in the Swedish Institute in Paris. This is their first official visit abroad since they wed in June.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/104468177/Getty-Images-Entertainment

Josefine, do you think that the two hair pins in Victoria's hair might be two of the small rose brooches, usually used to secure sashes, in the family's collection?

Bobby

i think it is but how many small rose brooches are there?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
texaskj said:
Imdanny said:
You can read more about the Panther bracelet and see a picture of it in its original box here:

http://fashionjewellries.blogspot.com/2010/07/duchess-of-windsors-jewels-will-auction.html

Danny, what a great link. I always assumed her panther bracelet was a bangle, but articulated? I love, love, love it! It looks so gorgeous nestled in the box. (And thanks for helping to keep this thread going; it's one of my favorites.)

texaskj, my pleasure.

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
this has to be fake stones?

v5iqt3.jpg

v5iqt3xx.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Princess Mary and her husband are on a trip to Germany. Just earrings, but also notice the right hand ring. I wonder where that is from...

And the baby bump is definately there now!

104509695.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Josefine said:

It looks like gumdrops! But would CP Victoria wear fake stones?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
Josefine said:

It looks like gumdrops! But would CP Victoria wear fake stones?

Europe's Crown Princesses all wear fake/costume jewellery, Lady Maria, esp at daytime events. Thank God, however, there's an exeption - Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall.
Anyway, Victoria married some time ago and it's possibe that this brooch was a wedding present? Maybe it has semi-precious stones such as garnets and peridots? That's pure speculation of course, but anyway it's a nice jewel.

Another photo: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8bU/TKHuIWYrl4I/AAAAAAAACgU/g_uDpn84SQA/s1600/34.jpg

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Josefine said:

The Red stones could be spinels, rather than rubies and the there are several green semi-preious stones that could have been used, such as alexandrite.

Alternatively, these could be synthetic gems - these were popular int he 1920s-1930s. Princess Margaret was once presented with jewellery of platinum mounted synthetic rubies and sapphires and I think diamonds. Pendants and earrings if I recall.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Diana, Princess of Wales wore costume jewelry as documented in Diana, Her Life In Jewels available on YouTube.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk said:
The Red stones could be spinels, rather than rubies and the there are several green semi-preious stones that could have been used, such as alexandrite.

Alternatively, these could be synthetic gems - these were popular int he 1920s-1930s. Princess Margaret was once presented with jewellery of platinum mounted synthetic rubies and sapphires and I think diamonds. Pendants and earrings if I recall.

I'm not familiar with this story, Neil. Thanks for sharing it here. Among the late Princess' sold jewels was an Art Deco bracelet with synthetic rubies and real diamonds (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/57603976/AFP). From the photos I've seen, I can say that it was one of her favourite ruby bracelets.
Camilla also owns a necklace/tiara with synthetic rubyies and real diamonds from the begining of the last century.

So, it's indeed a possibility that CPss Victoria's brooch has man-made gems and real metal.

BTW, doesn't Alexandrite change it's colours?

Regards,
Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
neil31uk said:

I'm not familiar with this story, Neil. Thanks for sharing it here. Among the late Princess' sold jewels was an Art Deco bracelet with synthetic rubies and real diamonds (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/57603976/AFP). From the photos I've seen, I can say that it was one of her favourite ruby bracelets.
Camilla also owns a necklace/tiara with synthetic rubyies and real diamonds from the begining of the last century.

So, it's indeed a possibility that CPss Victoria's brooch has man-made gems and real metal.

BTW, doesn't Alexandrite change it's colours?

Regards,
Bobby

It goes from green to red/purple in artificial light. Its also from Russia - so not far from Sweden! Its also a a form of Chrysoberyl which has non-colour changing forms, including green, and I think there are example of the green form in the Swedish or Norwegian crown jewels.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
First photos of Princess Letizia's new personal tiara available!!! It's not the best tiara I've seen, but definitely has it's charm. Lets hope Leti will wear it soon (this year preferably). The story, however, seems to be a bit changed from what we first heard.

Link to Foro Hispanico de Opiniones sobre la Realeza with scanned photos from Hola! - http://members5.boardhost.com/Infanta/msg/1285695819.html

Lets see what others think.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
On the subject of Princess Margaret, I was in Prague recently where there is currently the Cartier Exhibition at the Castle. The Rose Broach that she wore at the 1953 coronation was part of the exhibition and was quite breathtaking in real life.

There were also several pieces of the Duchess of Windsor's, including the amethyst bib-necklace, leopard broach and a coral and emerald gold ring. Overall, a magnificent exhibition. Will try and post pics of what is there (but was not able to take pics in there - very tight, was searched going in!).

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Another picture from Crown Princess Mary's trip to Germany. I love the earrings here! Not so sure about the big gold bracelets though.

toastingmaryfreda.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk said:
It goes from green to red/purple in artificial light. Its also from Russia - so not far from Sweden! Its also a a form of Chrysoberyl which has non-colour changing forms, including green, and I think there are example of the green form in the Swedish or Norwegian crown jewels.

Thnk you very much for this info, Neil. Since this is a Royal Jewellery thread, we should mention that this stones bare the name of Russia's Emperor Alexander II. His mother Empress Alexandra Feodorovna had some amazing examples. Take a look - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Alexandra_Feodorovna.jpg and another version http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/alexandra-feodorovna/alexandrit-empress-alexandra.htm

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk said:
On the subject of Princess Margaret, I was in Prague recently where there is currently the Cartier Exhibition at the Castle. The Rose Broach that she wore at the 1953 coronation was part of the exhibition and was quite breathtaking in real life.

There were also several pieces of the Duchess of Windsor's, including the amethyst bib-necklace, leopard broach and a coral and emerald gold ring. Overall, a magnificent exhibition. Will try and post pics of what is there (but was not able to take pics in there - very tight, was searched going in!).

I'm looking forward to photos as, saddly, such exhibitions don't come here (Bulgaria). Neil, do you have a photo of Princess Margaret wearing the brooch? Or one of the jewel its self? My photos of The Princess from the 1953 Coronation are a bit blurry and I don't remeber seeing such jewel on her after that.

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
First photos of Princess Letizia's new personal tiara available!!! It's not the best tiara I've seen, but definitely has it's charm. Lets hope Leti will wear it soon (this year preferably). The story, however, seems to be a bit changed from what we first heard.

Link to Foro Hispanico de Opiniones sobre la Realeza with scanned photos from Hola! - http://members5.boardhost.com/Infanta/msg/1285695819.html

Lets see what others think.

Bobby

Is anyone else having problems seeing the picture? It seems like half the page loads then the rest is just a gray box...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can see it.

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
i dont know if this is a much better photo

slide_11218_147545_large.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results