carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 6:31:35 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
The Crown Princess was stunning as always! She wore a off-shoulder ice blue full lengh dress and a nice pair of diamond and pink/light purple stone (amethyst) earrings. Princess Mary also had a diamond brooch stuck in her hair:
Mary is just gorgeous!!!!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 2:29:59 PM
And a nice close up of the Family Order:
YAY....THANK YOU BOBBY!!!!
30.gif

I''ve been wanting a close up photo of this one for the longest time!!!!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What happened to all of those wedding gifts that Charles and Diana received? I remember seeing photos of tables full of gifts from all over the world. Were some thrown away, as I think I read, or were they donated to charity? What happened to them during the divorce? Was Diana allowed to keep the jewelry she was given by people outside of the British royal family?

Lori

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
As I know, Diana kept her jewellery. After her death it went back to the RF in store for Williams future bride.

I think that William will get the share with RF conection (Kent Lover Knot, Emerald choker, Saphire Brooch on Pearlchoker)...may lesser items will go to Harry or he will got more money - cause he will not inherit the throne and conecting wealth (e.g. POW Cornwall etc)

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
I believe as per the divorce settlement, she was allowed to keep all personal gifts until her death, and wedding gifts with royal provenance went a similar vein, but were returned to be held in trust for William and Harry after her untimely death.

And I would bet on Alexander''s guess, that the important pieces will go to William, but I would imagine that the brothers will split their mother''s jewelry for their potential wives and/or children. Despite the press'' thriving desire to see flames regarding Diana, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, they''ve avoided serious controversy and have been seemingly conscientious.

I won''t lie, it''ll be interesting to see what gets brought out again...Diana''s jewelry and all of the hidden sparkly things in the BRF''s vaults
9.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it will be very interesting to see what happens with Diana''s jewelry!

It was amazing to see all of the gifts they received from around the world. All sorts of things...many that they couldn''t use.

What was the controversy about Diana accepting a watch or ring in error? I believe the RF can''t accept items if it will be perceived as publicity for the giver....is that correct?

Lori

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QM left for example the Kent lover knot to the crown (inherit by the Queen 1953) so it will be for sure that it will remain in the RF

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Princess Mary''s amethyst earrings are fantastic. Actually the stones of these particular earrings can be changed. I have seen the same settings with citrines.

The diamond brooch on her hair was an excellent choice, imo
1.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Diana''s jewels after the divorce and her death -

After the divorce Diana was allowed to retain the jewels she received as wedding gifts from The Queen and The Quenn Mother (Lover''s knot tiara, Cambridge choker, PoW feather brooch) with the proviso that these can''t be loaned or sold. The Princess of Wales was expected to pass them to William and Harry''s future wifes. I belive that she (Diana) wasn''t banned to do so with the rest of her jewels (Saudi sapphires and other jewels with no RF connection).

As far as I know Diana, Princess of Wales''s money were devided equally between her two sons. The gifts from The Queen and The Queen Mother, as previously said, are preserved (not worn) for the eventual brides of The Princess Willam and Henry. I really hope that William got his mother''s sapphires, just like in 1925 George V and Queen Mary got over Queen Alexandra''s wedding, anniversary and coronation gifts, among others (her significant jewels).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 8:56:06 AM
Author: alexander1917
QM left for example the Kent lover knot to the crown (inherit by the Queen 1953) so it will be for sure that it will remain in the RF

Kent lover knot? What''s that?
The only jewels that have Kent in their names are the amethysts that belonged to Victoria, Duchess of Kent and was left to the Crown by her daughter Queen Victoria; The Cambridge sapphire parure - now with the Duke of Kent and The City of London fringe tiara - a wedding gift to Princess Marina and is now Prince Michael''s property. These jewels are called Kent (jewel), instead of Cambridge or City of Landon, just because of their current owners.

The lover''s knot jewels I can think of are the tiara commisioned by Queen Mary and a big diamond bow brooch also from Queen Mary (Link).

I guess you mean The Cambridge lover''s knot tiara, but then again - How did The Queen, Elizabeth II, inherit something that was left to The Crown? Queen Mary added some jewels to The Royal Collection and The Crown, bit not in her will (AFAIK). The main bequests to The Crown were made by Queen Victoria - Oriental circlet, a ruby necklace and earrings, collet nacklace and earrings, The State diademe, etc. All thise jewels can only be worn by The Queens of Great Britain (regnat or consort).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 5:51:53 PM
Author: Christiana
Princess Mary''s amethyst earrings are fantastic. Actually the stones of these particular earrings can be changed. I have seen the same settings with citrines.

1.gif

Does anyone have a photo of Crown Princess Mary wearing the earrings with the citrins? Christina...?

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2009 7:24:22 PM
Date: 11/16/2009 5:51:53 PM

Author: Christiana

1.gif

Does anyone have a photo of Crown Princess Mary wearing the earrings with the citrins? Christina...?

Tadaaaaaa! Courtesy of The Royal Forums
1.gif

http://royals.web-log.nl/royals/2008/09/prinses-mary--2.html

I''m not sure if they''re two separate earrings or interchangeable, I''ve heard that they''re the latter. Either way, they''re quite stunning.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock

Date: 11/16/2009 8:56:06 AM
Author: alexander1917

Kent lover knot? What's that?
The only jewels that have Kent in their names are the amethysts that belonged to Victoria, Duchess of Kent and was left to the Crown by her daughter Queen Victoria; The Cambridge sapphire parure - now with the Duke of Kent and The City of London fringe tiara - a wedding gift to Princess Marina and is now Prince Michael's property. These jewels are called Kent (jewel), instead of Cambridge or City of Landon, just because of their current owners.

The lover's knot jewels I can think of are the tiara commisioned by Queen Mary and a big diamond bow brooch also from Queen Mary (Link).

I guess you mean The Cambridge lover's knot tiara, but then again - How did The Queen, Elizabeth II, inherit something that was left to The Crown? Queen Mary added some jewels to The Royal Collection and The Crown, bit not in her will (AFAIK). The main bequests to The Crown were made by Queen Victoria - Oriental circlet, a ruby necklace and earrings, collet nacklace and earrings, The State diademe, etc. All thise jewels can only be worn by The Queens of Great Britain (regnat or consort).

Bobby

Of course I mean the Cambridge lover's knot tiara. How came I on Kent??

I think QM left those items which went to QE to the crown or the RC

if not so, why she didn't left it to her daughter Mary or daugthers-in-law Elizabeth (QEtQM) or Alice or Marina...No she left it to her granddaughter (also not some others, like Alexandra, Margareth...), the one who became Queen....

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In reply to alexander1917:

You said it - "the one who became Queen". The tiara was a favourite of Queen Mary and she didn''t want it to leave the main line of the royal family. I belive that for the same reason Elizabeth II gave the splendit tiara to Diana instead of Andrew or Edward''s future wifes. Further more The Princess of Wales owned The Lover''s knot tiara. I doubt that when a jewel or un objet d''art becomes part of The Royal collection (or even Crown property) it can be given to an individual, who owns it and can do what ever s/he wants to do with it (sell, dismantle or present it to someone else)! The items from The Royal Collection are property of the monarch as sovereign, but are held in trust for his/her successors and the nation. They are not the Queen''s private property, unlike The Girls of GB and Ireland, the Cambridge emeralds and the Baring ruby necklace (just to name a few).

And don''t worry about the Gloucesters (Alice), the Kents (Marina), the Harewoods (Mary) or the Snowdons (Margaret) - they have/had plenty of tiaras to chose from. The Gloucesters have atleast five tiaras and they are full of family history.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I could''nt image that HM would accept if Diana sold or even dismantled those items...I think they have much more feelings for the provenece, family, tradion etc...

I imagine that QM really know how get what after she got such an enormous taste of royal inhertance , (e-g- buying back silver items from Geroge III etc...) and wrote so in her will.

and remember HM never wore the Oriental Circlet and ruby set during live time of her mother, despite the fact of beeing part of Sovereign''s inheritance since QV, and QEtQM got the part of return this jewels in 1952.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Of coure Diana was never going to sell or dismantle the tiara. You know that familly history ment a lot to her. I said that just to ilustarate what she could do as OWNER of the tiara.
Yes, Queen Mary really knew what to do whith her jewels and as I said she made sure that the most important pieces were going to stay in the main line of the royal familly (Kings and Queens of GB).

What''s your point about the Oriental Circlet? Do you mean that it''s owned by Elizabeth II privately? Please check the RC''s website and you''ll not see The Honeycomb, the Durbar or the Vladimir tiaras. These are HM''s private property. The Orental Circlet was favourite of Queen Elizabeth and she probably asked her daughter if she could retain these jewels and use them during her(QEQM''s) lifetime.
Queen Elizabeth was the first documentated wearer of the Oriental Circlet since Queen Victoria, but still we don''t know if Queens Alexandra and Mary haven''t worn it at private occassions (remember that QM wore a tiara every night at dinner and QA was seen in 3-5 tiaras only).

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
My point with the Oriental circlet was, that when the king died, all jewels which were left for furture queens (eg QV Collet necklace, earrings, Oriental circlet, QV bow brooches etc) have to go to the new Queen (Consort).

QEtQM kept the Ruby set during her life time, despite the fact she had to return it after George VI death in 1952 .

the Durbar was Qm "best Tiara", alternative with the Cambridge emeralds (later put into the Vladimir).

QA wore after the death of Albert Victor (1892) she wore most colours of half-mourning (mauve, grey, etc) and amethysts.

I'm not sure but I think the web site of the RC doesn't list ALL jewels wich are were left to the crown.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Alexander,

Seems that we have the same opinions about the jewels:) As I said, Queen Elizabeth probably asked her daughter, The Queen, if she could continue using the ruby jewels from Queen Victoria/Alexandra. After all Elizabeth was still a Queen of Great Britain, even if she was a dowager one. Personaly I belive that Elizabeth II didn''t have any problems with the ''impossibility'' to wear them. This was actually good for us royal watchers, because HM bought herself The Baring necklace;-)

Thanks for explaining me/us why Queen Alexandra didn''t wear coloured stones (other that amethysts). It really makes sense for a (Victorian) mother to stay in half-morning after her child''s death.
I think that she wore emeralds at the 1902 coronation, though.

I belive that you''re right about The RC''s site not listing all the jewels/items that are part of it. I''ve been thinking about this too.

The Durbar is indeed a great tiara and I think that every (royal) lady would envy EII/Camilla. I just can''t understand why the late Queen Mother wore it just a few times. Pity, don''t you think?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine asked if I had a better picture of the Turquoise and diamond bandeau worn by Margrethe II in Vietnam. Here is a photo that I found today:

86436827.JPG

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
may she wore some emeralds during her coronation. but most where withe (diamonds, pearls, or just amethysts)

about the Dehli Durbar, I think it's just TOOOOOO big... I remember QEtQM wore it in South Africa, and I think it's too large, too grand...and may out of fashion.
also royal ladies got (sometimes) taste in those enormous jewels pool

I think it's a pity that some jewels were not seen for so many years. of course some come out through some exhibtion, but in my opinion its nicer to see them when worn.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
with the opening of parliament, what tiara was the queen wearing (i know she changed into the imperial crown), and is it always the same one?

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock

George IV State Diadem

The George IV State Diadem, here worn by Queen Alexandra (centre). This image shows Queen Alexandra, consort of Edward VII, with her daughters Louise and Victoria.
Part of the British Crown Jewels, the George IV State Diadem or Diamond Diadem was made in 1820 by the firm Rundell, Bridge and Rundell for the coronation of King George IV. It was designed to encircle the King''s velvet Cap of Estate that he wore in the procession to Westminster Abbey. The diadem includes 1333 diamonds weighing 325.75 carats (65.15 g), and 169 pearls along its base. Its design features roses, thistles and shamrocks, the symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland respectively.
The diadem was also worn during the coronation procession of Queen Victoria, and later Queen Elizabeth II. It is also worn by Queen Elizabeth II in the procession to the State Opening of Parliament. It has featured in many portraits of the Queen, including one by Raphael Maklouf that appears on Commonwealth coinage and on British Machin series stamps. It has also featured on the banknotes of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Bermuda, Hong Kong, British Honduras, the British Caribbean Territories currency board (consisting of Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Anguilla, Saba, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua, St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent and the Grenadines, British Guyana and the British Virgin Islands), Mauritius, Southern Rhodesia, Cyprus, Rhodesia and Nyasaland, Fiji, Belize, the Bahamas, Malta, Malaya and North Borneo, and Jamaica.

from wikipedia

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Pictures from The State opening of Parliament -
The Queen arriving with The State Diademe on her head:
Note the size of the diamonds around HM''s neck!

6109l9x.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Interesting shot of The Queen and The Diademe:

610tryhtorut.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 6:23:49 PM
Interesting shot of The Queen and The Diademe:
I really enjoy the thistle-rose-shamrock motif on the diademe.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 6:15:35 PM
Pictures from The State opening of Parliament -
The Queen arriving with The State Diademe on her head:
Note the size of the diamonds around HM''s neck!
MY WORD!!!
23.gif

Lori

robinj

Shiny_Rock
I just discovered I had this pic on my pc. Not the best quality, but a nice picture.
Looks like a fringe tiara worn as a necklace...

slevin13200.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results